• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Millennials Killed Mayonnaise

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Just wondering as otherwise what you do like and don't like are the same thing.
Huh? She said she didn't care for avocado, but did like guacamole.

An avocado is the basis for making guacamole, but the texture, and taste, are different. As she said, she likes the spices. An avocado comes on a pit, you can slice it off and add it to sandwiches, salads, or just eat it as is.

Have you ever had, or even seen guacamole that comes in a jar?

search

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Guacamole made right is just avocado with a few other ingredients. Maybe it's the consistency you like better?

I think it's the spices also.
Perhaps the salt that is added to guacamole. That changes the taste considerably. There really aren't any spices in guacamole. Often just cilantro, peppers (jalapeno, habanero) sometimes onion and/or tomato and the salt. I add nothing else to my homemade guacamole.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Perhaps the salt that is added to guacamole. That changes the taste considerably. There really aren't any spices in guacamole. Often just cilantro, peppers (jalapeno, habanero) sometimes onion and/or tomato and the salt. I add nothing else to my homemade guacamole.
I probably should have said ingredients, not spices. Do you add lime to your guacamole?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys needs to try Miracle Whip on two slices of bread with three (3) slices of tomatoes in between those bread slices. Now that’s good eating summer sandwich IMHO..

And best is a fresh from garden beefsteak tomato with enough mayo (I am a multi generational miracle whip person) to drip out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
And best is a fresh from garden beefsteak tomato with enough mayo (I am a multi generational miracle whip person) to drip out.
A fresh garden tomato needs nothing else.

But if you want to add something, maybe some burrata. Or you can core them, fill with homemade pesto, then wrap in foil and cook on the grill.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So tonight we picked up Chinese food, including my favorite Honey Glazed Walnut Shrimp with mayonnaise sauce and crispy glazed walnuts. This is served on a bed of chopped lettuce so we always eat all of it the first night. Have never seen this on a Chinese menu before this particular restaurant. And sure enough the lettuce has thinned mayo (or MW) on it. Had a spoon of fried rice but saved all of tha Almond Chicken for tomorrow (and I think Monday too).

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My now deceased MIl was born in 1916. To say that cooking wasn't her thing doesn't even begin to cover it. Her mother however was an excellent cook. We hadn't been married long when she told me how horrified her own mother was when they came to visit and my MIL used mayonnaise from a jar instead of making her own. I was always a good cook but that was the first time I realized that people actually made their own mayonnaise, that it hadn't always come in a jar.
Growing up in China, we didn't have mayonnaise in a jar then. I learned how to make mayonnaise from my mother and it was a real treat. We used it to make our version of potato salad which also included smoked sausage (the kind similar to Hillshire Farm's). Nowadays, I just used Real Mayonnaise from Best Food. :)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So tonight we picked up Chinese food, including my favorite Honey Glazed Walnut Shrimp with mayonnaise sauce and crispy glazed walnuts. This is served on a bed of chopped lettuce so we always eat all of it the first night. Have never seen this on a Chinese menu before this particular restaurant. And sure enough the lettuce has thinned mayo (or MW) on it. Had a spoon of fried rice but saved all of tha Almond Chicken for tomorrow (and I think Monday too).
This dish is quite popular here in the Bay Area for people other than Chinese. I think it's a westernized Chinese dish :D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I make mine with tomato, cilantro, onion, fresh garlic and freshly squeezed lime juice. Add a little kosher salt and a little pepper.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister in law eats her asparagus with mayo. And not just a little mayo. Kinda grossed me out when I saw it.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
My sister in law eats her asparagus with mayo. And not just a little mayo. Kinda grossed me out when I saw it.

I remembered another way I like mayo. I make a dip for artichokes that is made of mayo, some mustard and a few drops of worchestershire.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remembered another way I like mayo. I make a dip for artichokes that is made of mayo, some mustard and a few drops of worchestershire.
Yeah, I'll do some mayo mixed with a little lemon juice and garlic for artichokes

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
No guacamole is complete without jalapeno. :D
Yeah, well, my kids don't yet appreciate spicy foods, so the pepper in my guac is minimal. I, on the other hand, am a pepper fiend. Typically, for most spicy foods, the hotter, the better. But, having said that, avocado should always be the star in good guacamole.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I use shallots, jalapeno, fresh garlic and chopped tomato, plus salt, black pepper and lime. This is making me hungry!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

That's kind of horrifying. :D

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Huh? She said she didn't care for avocado, but did like guacamole.

An avocado is the basis for making guacamole, but the texture, and taste, are different. As she said, she likes the spices. An avocado comes on a pit, you can slice it off and add it to sandwiches, salads, or just eat it as is.

Have you ever had, or even seen guacamole that comes in a jar?

search

Where I am coming from it it is hard to grasp a person will eat guacamole but not avocados. Even with spices almost the same thing. I figured she had to be talking about guacamole from a jar as my guess there is very little if any avocado in it. Which means different taste buds may like that but not actual avocados.

My first post in this thread mentioned discounting any Mexican restaurant that served guacamole from a jar. So sadly yes I have tasted it from a jar. It is a shame avocado producers allow that filth to be called guacamole.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
13 Mayonnaise Brands Ranked - How Did Your Favorite Do?
By Bill Daley/ Chicago Tribune/ Dining/ Food Focus/ chicagotribune.com

"Mayonnaise is to a sandwich what peanut butter is to jelly. They just belong together: Imagine a BLT without a creamy doodle on top of that slice of sun-ripened tomato, or a smoked turkey club without a thin mayo mortar on the toast. And what's a tuna salad sandwich without mayonnaise? Chuck the bread, toss in some green beans and anchovies and make a salade nicoise instead.

Indeed, millions agree about the importance of mayo, making it one of the top condiments in the U.S., with sales for 2016 reaching $1.93 billion, according to Mintel, a market research firm.

Yes, homemade mayonnaise is great on a sandwich — if you want to take the time to make it and aren't put off by raw eggs (or have pasteurized eggs on hand). For the rest of us, there's a jar of the prepared stuff waiting in the cupboard or refrigerator.

What mayo though? That's where the debate begins. People swear by their favorite brands (and, sometimes, swear at all the others). My Connecticut-born mother was a devout Cains fan — and there always had to be a jar in the kitchen when she visited because nothing else was going on her sandwich. Given this is Food & Dining's "Craving: Sandwiches" month, we decided to put top mayonnaise brands up against each other in a blind tasting.

In advance of this mayo comparison, I posted a photo on Facebook showing six different mayonnaise jars. No explanation — just one of those slice-of-life things you find on social media. The reaction was immediate, particularly from those wondering why their brand wasn't there. (Don't worry, Duke's fans, I got a jar.)

The Feds are very serious about what's sold as mayonnaise in the U.S. There's a very precise definition, that you can read here but, in short, for a mayonnaise to be sold as mayonnaise, it must be made with oil, an acid such as vinegar or lemon juice, and egg yolks or "egg yolk-containing ingredients." After that, makers can add salt, sweeteners, spices (except saffron or turmeric or anything that mimics a yolk-y color) and monosodium glutamate, among other ingredients.

For the tasting, I purchased 13 brands, not all of which are technically mayonnaise under the government definition — that's why you'll find Kraft Miracle Whip Dressing and Hampton Creek's Just Mayo Spread & Dressing, a vegan brand, here. Their popularity and widespread use called for their inclusion.

I bought 10 of the brands at Chicago supermarkets that cater to the general public and do not require membership for admission (no membership-only club brands). Three brands were ordered via Amazon.com because they are more regional products not necessarily found here — and I wanted them in the tasting. Prices listed are what I paid (Amazon.com orders are duly noted) or the manufacturer's suggested retail price (also noted).

This was a blind tasting, meaning that those who participated didn't know which mayo was which. Each taster had the option of trying the mayo as-is or spreading it on Pepperidge Farm white sliced bread — just as one might do at home. They were asked to assess the mayonnaise in terms of appearance, aroma and flavor and to rank it on a score from 1 to 9, with 1 being poor, 9 excellent and 5 average. While there was a clear winner among the brands, most rated relatively close together, so there were multiple ties.

For the rankings, see the photo gallery at the top of this story......."

600x338

In a blind tasting, we tried 13 mayonnaise brands, looking for the best sandwich companion. While there was a clear winner among the brands, most rated relatively close together, so there were multiple ties. (The gallery has been updated with proper rankings that had been scrambed due to a technology glitch.) (Michael Tercha/Chicago Tribune)

Richard

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Where I am coming from it it is hard to grasp a person will eat guacamole but not avocados. Even with spices almost the same thing. I figured she had to be talking about guacamole from a jar as my guess there is very little if any avocado in it. Which means different taste buds may like that but not actual avocados.

My first post in this thread mentioned discounting any Mexican restaurant that served guacamole from a jar. So sadly yes I have tasted it from a jar. It is a shame avocado producers allow that filth to be called guacamole.
I also love guacamole but do not care much about avocado. Guacamole is flavorful and I always make myself from scratch. Goes really well with Trader Joe’s Organic while corn tortilla chips. :) Avocado to me is too oily but DH likes it on his burger.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Well- right- but that is enough to change the taste. Funny- because I don't like cilantro either. But anyway- when other things are mixed in with the avocado I'm ok with it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I probably should have said ingredients, not spices. Do you add lime to your guacamole?

yes- that;s what I meant also, though there is

That's what I meant then- I had no clue what is in guacamole- whatever is in it-I just know I will eat avocado that way. Not that I go out of my way to get it or make it- no. But if is being offered at a party or something, I would eat it.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but to many, aiolis are no more than a mixture of Olive oil, salt and garlic. So if I'd just said aioli, it wouldn't have been descriptive enough. Plus, the topic is mayo.
Not to go millenial on you, but that's an aioli.