• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How often for an oil change?

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, and an oil change is recommended every 3 months. I drive less than 6,000 miles a year. Is it really necessary to change the oil that often?

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
I would go with the factory recommendation, just for warranty purposes. What does your manual say? I believe it should be every 6 months or 6K miles.

geekette

Reaction score
I would go with 3 mos or 3000 miles. Oil gets old, dust and dirt driving matters, too. Why put your engine at risk? Besides, it is not expensive.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I would go with the factory recommendation, just for warranty purposes. What does your manual say? I believe it should be every 6 months or 6K miles.

Be aware your dealer may want you to change your oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends. JTP's point is what I follow as well for what that may be worth.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I found it best to switch to a synthetic oil that lasts one year 15,000 miles. I put on slightly more miles than you. The synthetic lasts longer over a time period better than traditional oil. I’ve been doing this for years with great results.

It’s nice only doing it once a year. Spring is my time when I do all mine. Easy to remember too.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oil doesn't wear out over time. Many cars have sensors that tell when it has begun loading up on pollutants, and it's lubricating quality is beginning to diminish and it's time to change it. I would expect a 2018 vehicle to have such ability. Check your owner's manual, or with the service writer at your dealer. Absent info from knowledgeable sources, I'd change the oil spring and fall and call it good. You drive less than half the mileage of what's considered 'average use', so double the suggested interval for average driving.

We have a 2018 Honda Clarity Plug-In. It uses no gas for daily driving around town. We have about 5,000 miles on it, and asked the dealer about oil changes. We were told to wait for it to tell us when it was due. Since we have a road trip coming up I'm going to change it and get the 'break-in' oil out and replace it with the recommended synthetic lube. The dealer's Service Writer thinks that's wise. Who Knows?

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Also, allow me to refer you to the esteemed crew from Car Talk..
https://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-8

And by the way, if you have never listened to their show you have missed an hour full of laughs, guffaws, and lots of advice - some of it about cars!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, and an oil change is recommended every 3 months. I drive less than 6,000 miles a year. Is it really necessary to change the oil that often?

That depends upon the oil that you're using. Conventional, semi-synthetic or full synthetic. Unless your vehicle is under a warranty that specifically stipulates you change the oil every 6 mos., first I'd be using nothing but full synthetic like Mobile 1, and then extend it to every 6K miles. So in your case, 1x/year. Be certain to change the filter with each oil change, and don't skimp on the filter (i.e. Fram is garbage). I use K&N or Mann.

Brett

Reaction score
Also, allow me to refer you to the esteemed crew from Car Talk..
https://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-8

And by the way, if you have never listened to their show you have missed an hour full of laughs, guffaws, and lots of advice - some of it about cars!

yes but the tappet brothers have retired (one permanently)
my 2017 honda indicates change the oil every 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever is sooner

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My Honda has a maintenance minder that shows oil life, the little wrench indicator comes on at 15%.

I just had service at 33,000 miles and he wanted to change brake fluid, I just laughed at him. Its a sealed system, I only replace when I have brakes replaced. The only contaminant getting in would be moisture.

I changed the air filters myself, much cheaper than the Honda dealer.

I let them do the transmission, just dont know enough about these new CVT transmission wear yet.

The factory battery went out at 36 months right on cue, replaced with a 7 year battery cheaper than the dealership again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
The factory battery went out at 36 months right on cue, replaced with a 7 year battery cheaper than the dealership again.
The battery in my wife's 2011 Accord went out 5 months past the 3 year point, just like you said. Had it replaced by the dealer. The new battery had a 3 year 100% replacement / 100 month prorated warranty. Second battery needed to be replaced at 3 years, 7 months which put us into the prorated replacement range. Much to my amazement the dealer put it in under warranty at no charge, not even labor. I about dropped my teeth.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the OEM battery in my '10 Toyota Tundra. 9 years. I replaced it with an Interstate, but expect that the truck will reside at someone else's house by time it gives up the ghost.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I just replaced the OEM battery in my '10 Toyota Tundra. 9 years. I replaced it with an Interstate, but expect that the truck will reside at someone else's house by time it gives up the ghost.

Thats excellent for OEM! This is the second CR-V OEM that has only lasted 3 years. I love Hondas, great cars but wear parts not so much. Their maint recommendations reflect that, must be a profit center for them. The CR-V battery is tiny, like a motorcycle battery.

My Ram truck OEM battery lasted 8 years too, but when it went it blew up. I turned the key and heard a poof under the hood, blew a big crack in the side and the caps popped off. It was a mess to clean up, the guy at Autozone was great helped me with it and put everything in a sealed box for the core charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My Honda has a maintenance minder that shows oil life, the little wrench indicator comes on at 15%.
Mine too. I keep getting "reminders" from Honda (via postcards, etc) that I need maintenance before the indicator light goes on. The first time this happened and I called Honda to make a service appointment they told me that my car would tell me when it was needed and to wait for that. I have a 2013 with a little over 26,000 miles on it. To date all I've had done is oil changes.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The battery in my wife's 2011 Accord went out 5 months past the 3 year point, just like you said. Had it replaced by the dealer. The new battery had a 3 year 100% replacement / 100 month prorated warranty. Second battery needed to be replaced at 3 years, 7 months which put us into the prorated replacement range. Much to my amazement the dealer put it in under warranty at no charge, not even labor. I about dropped my teeth.
polygrip-denture-cream-250x250.jpg
???

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My DW likes to buy shiny new toys, but not read instruction manuals.
As a result, several are sitting unused in drawers, but cars won't fit.
The manufacturer's maintenance schedule may be in the glove box.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Look in the owners manual and follow the recommendation. Most cars today don't need oil changes until 5000 or 6000 miles. If you don't hit the recommended mileage within the year, you might want to change the oil once for the year anyway.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The recommendation for oil change on a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek should be every 6000 miles or once a year whichever comes first. Subaru used to recommend every 7500 miles and has since dropped to 6000 miles.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love to change the oil in my Subaru's. Filter on top. Replace the drain plug with a 1/4 turn fumoto value. Easy as pie.