• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Safe Is Your Luggage

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Here's an interesting article about how well baggage handlers really take care of your luggage and how difficult it is for them to steal (though it does still happen).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard for them to steal from when you don't check it.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this article. I only pack clothes in my check luggage. Electronic, cameras and jewelry I pack those items in my carry on luggage.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Thanks for sharing this article. I only pack clothes in my check luggage. Electronic, cameras and jewelry I pack those items in my carry on luggage.
Exactly - have fun stealing the dirty laundry that I am bringing home! I hope you like my ancient flip flops! Or the almost empty tube of toothpaste!

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
What was particularly interesting to me is that it's not uncommon for luggage to get thrown as much as thirty feet when it ends up in the back of the luggage compartment on a jet. The article highly recommends using hardside luggage for protection of your items.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What was particularly interesting to me is that it's not uncommon for luggage to get thrown as much as thirty feet when it ends up in the back of the luggage compartment on a jet. The article highly recommends using hardside luggage for protection of your items.

I've told this story before on TUG, but we brought along a brand new hard-sided suitcase when we visited China in 1998. Flew about 6-8 airline segments, all on local or national Chinese airlines. Suitcase came through with nary a scratch.

Our next trip was to/from Chicago O'Hare (ORD). Suitcase came down the baggage carousel with a corner of the hard-sided suitcase bashed in, and the latches bashed enough that they almost didn't work. In a single trip. Yep, those gorillas really bash around the luggage :wall:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are making most luggage I've seen lately with wheels that are sticking out just waiting to be torn/broken off.

pd2yvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV 1 x 6
HGVC Hokulani x 4
Misc Traders x 2
Most aircraft, B737 and smaller, are non-containerized, bags are hauled out to the gate and sent up a conveyor belt to the cargo hold door. Baggage is then pushed and stacked by one or two staff inside the hold. The space is not high enough to stand in, so most work gets done while kneeling. Bags will not get thrown very far, if at all, as it is ergonomically too difficult and physically exhausting, to do all the that twisting with over 100 bags per flight, many times per shift. However, bags sometimes fall off the conveyor belt, so that's a 6ft fall onto concrete. Anytime an employee touches a bag is an opportunity for mishandling/drop/fall/drag.

On larger flights, the bags are loaded and containerized within the terminal's baggage area and brought out to the gate for transfer in to the aircraft hold on a large elevating platform. Less likely to get bag damage on these aircraft as there is less human (mis)handling.

Theft is rarer these days with all the internal security cameras...essentially to monitor for baggage system blockages and backlogs. Zippered bags can still be easily opened and reclosed without your knowledge. Invest in a little TSA lock (some have a tamper pin that pops up when it has been opened by TSA (they will leave a note inside your bag saying they inspected it) or non-authorized master key holder.

Hardsided baggage is best. My all time favourite was the 29" Samsonite Oyster...the Timex of bags - took a licking and kept on ticking.

And...get a lashing strap to wrap around your bag to prevent accidental opening from dropping and getting hit by the automated kickers that redirect your bags down a myriad of belt systems.

Happy and safe travels everyone!