• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to avoid intestinal illness

heidimanoa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Arco
When I vacationed at my home resort in Cabo in 2015, I became so sick with an intestinal infection that I spent a night in a Mexican hospital for treatment (where the care was outstanding btw). Consequently I’m nervous about returning and wondered how others manage to avoid getting sick.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are careful about eating street food. Moderation in alcohol. If you doubt the origin of water, don't use ice in drinks. Know that reputable businesses purify their water. We always have Pepto Bismol, and an antidiarrhea medicine- there is a Mexican brand that has an antibiotic in it, that is not sold in the US. Good stuff.

Jim

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know now that are now questions concerning its use but when I lived in Mexico (many, many years ago) I found Entro Vioformo to be effective...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We must be lucky in Mexico. Frequently in Mexico we eat and drink in little Hole in the Wall places. Cross our fingers and toes.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
When I vacationed at my home resort in Cabo in 2015, I became so sick with an intestinal infection that I spent a night in a Mexican hospital for treatment (where the care was outstanding btw). Consequently I’m nervous about returning and wondered how others manage to avoid getting sick.

Besides avoiding the beverages from a cooler of ice be aware of street flooding. After it rains avoid inhaling the street mist from passing cars in the downtown area. The sewers flood and numerous bacteria and viruses become suspended in the air from car traffic. This usually occurs when you see street flooding on Cardenas around the mall. Should you get ill avoid the hospitalization IV scam the gringo hospitals pull and stop in at the clinic next to Similares on Morales (across from the mall and in 3 blocks). I believe Similares is the largest drug store chain in Mexico. The clinic is walk in only and costs 60 pesos ($3USD). The Docs are female, provide great care and work for the local Hospital Especial. Their English is better than my Spanish and Google translate is a handy communication device to explain symptoms and any drug allergies. They have x-ray capability and can refer you to Hospital General for any complicated procedures but as GPs they can handle 90% of the patients needs on site and you can pick up your subscriptions next door at Similares. In and out with meds in less than 30min and it rarely cost more the 200-300 pesos all in.

Tip: We usually pay for two office visits and ask them to pass one on to a local in need.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many people don't realize that swimming pools and hot tubs can be infected with bacteria, especially in Mexico with so many people urinating in the pools while drinking all day. Cipro and giardia bacteria are spread pretty easy in hotel pools because of the numbers of people using them.

Keeping your head above water and don't get pool water in your mouth reduces the problem.

I only drink bottled liquids in Mexico. The resort water has been fine for coffee in PV but I only drink bottled water for the most part while in Mexico.

As far as food goes stay away from fruits and veggies from local vendors unless you plan on cooking them your self. Some restaurants are sketchy. I only eat well cooked food anywhere I am not certain on cleanliness.

Bill

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not gotten sick in Mexico - Matzalan, Cabo and Cancun, but we only eat at hotel restaurants and established high end restaurants. We don't do street food or hole in the wall.

We do use the hotel pools but again we only stay at high end resorts like Westin Lagunamar and Grand Solmar at Lands End. At Westin Lagunamar, you can see the pool maintenance folks chlorinating and checking for chemicals every morning.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Before you go, talk to your doctor and see if s/he will give you a preemptive prescription for an antibiotic and an anti-diarrhea medicine. I have only gotten sick once in Mexico (we think it was from a street vendor soft-serve ice cream), but luckily my sister who was traveling with us had gotten those from her doctor before traveling and gave them to me. It saved the trip for me. Since then, I get these from my doc before heading south of the border.

Other than that, we use bottled water and stay away from uncooked foods (fresh veggies, fruit (unless peeled), etc.

Kurt

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been ill twice in Mexico, but the 2nd time was not caused from there (I wasn't feeling right before we left and it got worse as things went on).

Anyhoo, the one "real" time (ha!), I flew into Cozumel for a week (and then onto Vidanta for another week). Stupid me got a margarita from a cart/street vendor at the airport while waiting for the shuttle. I'm fairly certain that's what did it, but not 100% sure since all other meals/drinks were on resort. Anyway, about 3 days later, bad things happened (we shan't go into details but the cha-cha-cha song comes to mind). The 4th day went to the clinic in Cozumel (I can't remember the name), but very fast/efficient, my right portion of my large intestine was inflamed (to say the least). Cipro and immodium (basically), along with the BRAT diet for the next few days. The resort (el cid la ceiba) was very nice in the room service with the "funky" diet (toast, bananas, rice, etc.) I felt better about 3 days later, and even survived the bumpy ferry ride over to Playa.

We did do the Vallarta Eats food tour in Puerto Vallarta and that was fine, as was another food tour we did in Playa.

I've (fortunately) been the only one to get sick though. I must be prone to it, as I was on a cruise and got sick for 2 days (lovely quarantined to my room with biohazard bags outside the room--Scarlet Letter anyone?) ha!

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our general rule of thumb regarding food is mainly with fruits/(uncooked) vegetables: If you can't peel it, don't eat it. As I said, it's just a general rule, so we pretty much pass on salads and things like that while there. First thing my wife gets when we get back to the states is a big salad. :)

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
We started taking the preventative vaccine Dukoral ( https://www.dukoralcanada.com/home ) a few years ago after we got an intestinal bug in Cuba. It is available by prescription in Canada, not sure about the US. DH's benefits cover the cost but even if they didn't we'd still get it, it's well worth it! It is sort of lemon flavored and you only drink 4 oz. The first time you take it, you need to take a 2 part dose in a carefully timed (weeks between each dose & weeks before the trip) manor. Then each year after that you just need 1 dose. Several family members and friends have taken Dukoral and nobody has had any ill effects from taking it or any intestinal problems on vacation.

Lots better than waiting for symptoms to show then taking Pepto or other OTC meds. Who wants to spend any time sick on vacation?

Edited to add, I found out Dukoral is no longer a prescription medication/vaccine in Canada (so possibly not in the USA too). Health Canada thinks it is so important for travellers that it is now available OTC! :cheer:

~Diane

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Sometimes it is just luck/unlock of the draw. Several years ago when we were in Fiji Patti came down with some horrible Intestinal Problem the night before we were suppose to fly out. She spent the night on the bathroom floor so that she would be close to the toilet. We had eaten the same food and drank from the same sources for days. She was out of it for 3 days. We were able to reschedule our flight with only a couple hours notice for $100 each and Worldmark was able to adjust our stay in Fiji and follow on in New Zealand. She had her last episode in the LAX bathroom about 2 weeks later.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have never been sick in Mexico. Guess I have a strong intestinal track. I do not recall getting sick anywhere from eating local foods or drinking water. Hope I am not jinxing my next trips!

jbuzzy11

TUG Member
Reaction score
I start off the day before with 1 amodium the night before our flight And then it's One pepto in the morning and one at night, been doing this for years on the advice of a doctor... works

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
When eating anything that is not recently fried (salad, ceviche, fruit, bread), I take two shots of tequila, one before and another after.
I drink beer instead of water at the restaurant, unless I bought the water myself at the grocery store.
The way to stay healthy in Mexico is almost the opposite of what it is in the US.
Lastly, I'll add that if you can't drink alcohol, maybe you shouldn't go to Mexico. I tried not drinking once in my many visits to Mexico, got an H pylori infection (as a consequence, I believe), and was miserable for about 4 years thereafter. First, that bug is not common in the US so in my case it wasn't properly diagnosed until my 3rd doctor visit. Then, after I got the antibiotics to kill the bug, my intestinal track became hypersensitive and I couldn't digest milk or bread (glutten) properly. After much trial and error and many other doctors visits, I figured out a treatment that involved pro biotics that got rid of much, though not all of the hypersensitivity.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wash your hands with soap, use a clean towel to dry your hands; wash your hands before dinner and after; when you used any restrooms "Please wash you hands with soap"; do not eat food or drink water/sodas from street vendors.
Just be careful what you eat, drink and how much tequila you consume .

Please enjoy your vacation in Mexico.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Decades ago when my first wife attended the University of Guadalajara the family she lived with offered her a special tea to fight off Montezuma's Revenge. She later discovered it was Camomile. She said it worked for her.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m sure this is not helpful at all but I avoid Mexico altogether.

My husband goes there on business often and got so sick when he got home one time he couldn’t get out of bed for days, except to use the toilet!

I have a bad stomach as it is, I can’t even risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Try probiotics. Check consumer labs dot com to compare brands. The idea is to crowd the large intestine with beneficial bacteria and yeast so that dangerous germs cannot live there. There are numerous clinical studies on these.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

dominidude

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, if you find an establishment that is to your liking, please post it here, I'd be very grateful.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Sounds silly but I chase every meal with a Coke. Coke is so acidic that it should kill just about anything!! Alcohol can work but I have found Coke to be very useful and have found to not get sick with that.