• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] How to compare point systems?

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
HGVC also earns an asterisk for complimentary RCI membership.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I also have another suggestion, What about also adding typical resale buy-in cost for this two-bedroom platinum (high) season week? This probably would bring even more "lively" discussion.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im game for creating a separate comparison page for more detailed stuff...but this particular chart would spin out of control if we keep adding all those details =)

I would consider adding a line for something like "% you can save buying resale" or something like that? or "resale depreciation value" or something that indicates the difference in price between resale and retail.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
went and added a link to the chart in the OPs first post so more can read it!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Brian,

Two items for the Diamond Resorts column ...

In the last row (Average points for 2br), there is a dollar sign "$" in the number. That should be removed.

In the "Average (2br) Maint Fees" row, "$1550" should be replaced with "$2,000".

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
HICV also gets a complimentary RCI with membership.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
any estimates on an average 2br MF cost for HICV?

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
im game for creating a separate comparison page for more detailed stuff...but this particular chart would spin out of control if we keep adding all those details =)

I understand. No problem. I think that all of the discussion on this topic has been very enlightening. I do like something to compare each of the different TS systems because I don't understand the others. I know several of you own in more than one system. You will have a broader working knowledge. If we respond to a newbie on general TS questions, we can only respond on what we know. In my case, I am limited to one system. I usually add that in my response.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think once this is done itll make for a great link for just about anyone who posts in the newbies section looking for help in picking a first timeshare for sure!

and likely lead to tons of other questions!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
any estimates on an average 2br MF cost for HICV?

No, and it varies greatly. I have a Vegas 1 BR, and not enough points for a 2. But I would guess 2 BR Holiday Season (there is event weeks, that include holidays) then 3 categories below that.

So I'll guess that 2 BR is avg of 180,000 points and is about $1400 in MFs, but that could be on the high side.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I think once this is done itll make for a great link for just about anyone who posts in the newbies section looking for help in picking a first timeshare for sure!

and likely lead to tons of other questions!
Yep. The ones that pop to my mind as I'm reading the chart:
  • What is the 'one big thing' that sets each column apart from the others?
    How can we help highlight the greatest strength of each club? From the top of my head ...
    Wyndham: Sheer number of resorts, mostly east of the Mississippi
    Worldmark: Heavy concentration in Western states; Generous cancellation policy; Cash reservation options
    Disney: Location, location, location ... if you want to be near its theme parks
    Hyatt: Quality ???
    Marriott and Hilton: Is it the way their clubs interact with their hotel chains? Signature locations? ???
  • What about RCI Points? (Read that in the newbie's voice?)
  • Doesn't II also have a points system?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can we add a ROFR row.

For instance HGVC has it. Wyndham does NOT. Makes a different for resale pricing.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would also change HICV to major differences resale, only 3 resorts in the entire system are automatically in HICV points. A resale, with the 3 exceptions, LOSSES Completely their point value and they revert back to the fixed/float week they were previously.

That is major, and makes resales very unattractive.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Can we add a ROFR row.

For instance HGVC has it. Wyndham does NOT. Makes a different for resale pricing.
Worldmark: Does NOT have ROFR
DVC: Yes, uses ROFR except for gifting/inheritance within a family

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
HYATT

Adding in some information on Hyatt for the chart.

What is the 'one big thing' that sets each column apart from the others?
Might be resort staff, which I have found to be exceptional across the resorts. Part of this comes form lower turnover in staff.

Avg 2bd maint. fees
Varies by resort: BH was about $1500 USD and WOR was about $1200 USD. Have not seen a lot of price inflation in the last five years.

Reservation Window
Not certain how you would put this in the chart...
  • Home Resort/Unit begins 12 months in advance and ends six months in advance. During this period you may:
    • Reserve your home week/unit
    • Reserve other available inventory across Hyatt (all or a portion of points)
    • transfer to II exchange (all or a portion)
    • Convert to Hyatt World (formerly Gold Passport) points (subject to limit on the number of unit/weeks per resort).
  • Club Use - from six months before week to start of week, during which you can
    • Reserve other available inventory across Hyatt (all or a portion of points)
    • transfer to II exchange (all or a portion, within the first two months)
  • Limited Club Use - the six months after the day of the fixed-unit/week
    • Reserve other available inventory across Hyatt (all or a portion of points), but only up to 60 days in advance.
  • II exchange points remain in account for 24 months beyond the end of the Club Use period.
Developer vs. Resale
Access to Hyatt World conversion is not available for resale units.

Avg. points for 2bd unit
Range is from a low of 200 (Mountain Season) to a high of 2,950 (Diamond Season, Deluxe Unit).

Wk 6 at Ski destinations - 2,200 (1,880 High Sierra Lodge)
Wk 10 Florida - 2,200, higher for Premier/Deluxe units at Siesta Key

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ill add a double asterisk in the resale difference section for ROFR

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
updated with the most current info in the thread, its coming along!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana

Starwood Vacation Network (SVN)

Number of Resorts
I count 19 in SVN

Deeded v. RTU
Both ... Sheraton Flex is Vistana's pure point system.

Reservation Window
12 months at home resort
8 months any Network resort

Developer vs. Resale
Membership in SVN does not transfer on resale. Resale purchases have no access to the Network. A resale deed can become qualified with a developer purchase.

Avg. points for 2bd unit

Last edited:

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Request to rename row heading
"Average points for 2br" to "Avg point for 2BR High Season"?

Or, if the row is intended to reflect an 'average' 2BR -- I will rework the stated DVC for a different (lower) number. The stated 395 figure represents the average of all 2BR unit types in the system for a full week over the 4th of July.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd still like a way to show/reflect "other fees." Some systems feel as if they nickel and dime their owners and it makes a difference. The common fees I'm aware of:

Housekeeping Fee:
  • WM: Yes, after exceeding free tokens (Or, perhaps to state this in shorter format: "Yes >threshold" ?)
  • Wyndham: Yes, after exceeding free tokens
  • DVC: Optional
  • RCI Points: Yes
TOT Fee:
  • WM: Yes, some
  • Wyndham: ??
  • DVC: Yes, some (or "Yes, 1 or more"? Aulani, as far as I know if the only DVC resort to currently charge TOT)
  • RCI Points: Yes, some
Guest Cert Fee:
  • WM: Free (I prefer "Free" to "No" or "None" in that the negative answers may read that Guest Certs are not offered rather than, "Guest certs are offered w/out a fee.")
  • Wyndham: Yes
  • DVC: Free
Transaction Fee:
  • WM: No
  • Wyndham: Yes
  • DVC: No
Are other fees common in the point system world: Resort fee? Parking Fee? Energy Fee? Inclusive Fees?

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Request to rename row heading
"Average points for 2br" to "Avg point for 2BR High Season"?

Or, if the row is intended to reflect an 'average' 2BR -- I will rework the stated DVC for a different (lower) number. The stated 395 figure represents the average of all 2BR unit types in the system for a full week over the 4th of July.

I agree and suggest renaming the Average points for 2 br to "Avg points for 2 BR Summer Season". Each system has regular (not deluxe) 2 BR units and the "high" season goes by different names in the various brands, but "summer" is high season in all the brands, so "summer season" can be used to get something of a direct comparison.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

I would consider adding a line for something like "% you can save buying resale" or something like that? or "resale depreciation value" or something that indicates the difference in price between resale and retail.

In light of your comments and the wonderful "extra information" that many have posted here on page 5 of the thread, I'd make the following suggestion (if we feel like coding): Add a "Pro's / Con's / Fees" row to the bottom of the table that contains a link to a single chart/table for each system with Pro's, Con's, Fees sections and the appropriate details. I think if we posted each one separately, we could fill it here in 1-2 days.

If you elect to do the extra page for each system, I'd also suggest a row to briefly identify resale purchase considerations, i.e. efficient MF's or club affiliation or II/RCI etc....

Amazing idea!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree and suggest renaming the Average points for 2 br to "Avg points for 2 BR Summer Season".

"Summer Season" except Palm Springs and Scottsdale. This timeshare stuff is so complicated ;)

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another suggested modification that might be considered is to make a web page for each column which elaborates the information in the rows. I'm thinking of something that might look like "Quinte's" message above -- the row label in bold and elaboration under it. I think such a page would be more helpful to the new user/owner then the link to the FAQ. A dedicated web page would have the same structure as the table; In the FAQ forum the new user/owner must hunt around for the information and, because the terminology varies among systems, confusion is more common.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Another suggested modification that might be considered is to make a web page for each column which elaborates the information in the rows. I'm thinking of something that might look like "Quinte's" message above -- the row label in bold and elaboration under it. I think such a page would be more helpful to the new user/owner then the link to the FAQ. A dedicated web page would have the same structure as the table; In the FAQ forum the new user/owner must hunt around for the information and, because the terminology varies among systems, confusion is more common.

-------^ +1