• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Enjoy a Ski Destination When It’s Not Ski Season

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
How to Enjoy a Ski Destination When It’s Not Ski Season
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/...-ski-destination-when-its-not-ski-season.html

By Shivani Vora / Travel / The New York Times / August 16, 2018

“Vail, Colo., Jackson Hole, Wyo., and Park City, Utah, may all be mainstay skiing destinations, but trips to their resorts — or those in any other ski spot in the United States for that matter — shouldn’t be confined to ski season. Pamela Lenci, general manager of Caldera House, a new hotel in Jackson Hole, said that top ski locales offer plenty of diversions in the summer and fall, too.

“You can have just as much fun without hitting the slopes,” she said. Here are some of her best tips to enjoy those ski destinations when the slopes aren’t covered in snow....”

9443837D-4763-498D-A156-9ABCFCBB73B3.jpeg

Illustration by Lars Leetaru / for NY Times

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Here’s how I do it: mountain biking.

Works well for timeshare owners because the summer is a non peak season at a lot of places with great riding.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
As I've shared before, Smuggs is our hands-down favorite exchange, but we don't go in winter! We've gone for April break, long weekends in fall, and then summer. We also like Attitash, Waterville Valley, the Bethel, Maine area (Sunday River) and would like to stay in Lincoln, NH (close to Loon)...all ski areas. These places tend to have at least one pool, larger rooms, and then many now have some sort of on-site summer activity. (Mountain coaster, scenic chairlift, etc.)

We did visit Attitash for Feb break 2018, and will be back for 2019. It was a whole different place...we enjoyed it that time of year, too.

All of that is to say, don't ignore those ski destinations just because it's off-season.

Edited to add: We also like Jackson Gore Inn (Okemo) and The Grand Summit at Mount Snow. Guess we really use the "ski area in off-season" strategy!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We're big hikers so ski destinations are usually great hiking destinations. The only issue is that often the towns are pretty sleepy in the off season. Also, skiers are a bit hard on the rooms - lots of dirty carpet and scuffed walls so sometimes the units look worn. We just got back from Northstar and I told my (adult) kids that I liked this better than camping. They were pretty horrified as we are also big campers. I see the future for us and it doesn't include a tent. ;)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In New England there is actually more to do in the Summer and Fall and late Spring than in the winter. In the winter you- umm- ski. Then you are too tired afterwards to do anything else. Maybe go in the hot tub. And it's dark and cold.

In Summer and Fall and late Spring, there are limitless activities: hiking, walking, swimming (pools and lakes), mountain biking, sightseeing, fly boarding and paddle boarding, segways, kayaking, wineries and breweries (ok- you can do those in the winter), berry and apple picking, outdoor museums, local summer theater, horse back riding, ATV's, fishing, etc. The towns are bustling. But-No- you can't ski.

We don't ski, but we have been to Smuggs twice during the winter. We went dog sledding, snow shoeing, snowmobiling through the notch at night, horse drawn sleigh in Stowe and a ski lift excursion at dusk up Sterling Mountain where they prepared a gourmet candle lit dinner in the cabin at the top and then we all snowshoed down the mountain in the moonlight.

Wonderful at XMAS also, with fireworks on XMAS eve and a torchlight parade of snowboarders coming down the mountain and Santa. An old fashioned non-demoninational service in the meeting house.

Both our timeshares are in ski areas and both are summer ownerships.

Last edited: