• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Retire in Your 30s With $1 Million in the Bank

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope many Tuggers have looked into Long Term Care Insurance.

Not a true medical policy but a Home Care (or nursing home) payment product for a period of time.

The alternative I chose to Long Term Care Insurance was to move into a CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community) when I reached age 65 (18 years ago). Contractually the CCRC is required to provide Assisted Living if/when I need it. My monthly fee includes an apartment, utilities, food, cleaning, etc. When I subtract the LTC premiums I don't have to pay and take into account that 25% of my monthly payment is tax deductible as Prepaid Medical Expenses I have both security and a bargain. The only downside is the Front End Fee I had to pay when I signed up but if I divide it by 18 (the number of years I have been here) it becomes relatively insignificant...

George

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My long term care policy is cruise ships, they cost $450-$1000 a week interior stateroom, they feed you, provide entertainment, will wheel you around in wheel chair if needed, medical on board. You just have to get off and reboard once a week. But in the end still cheaper than assisted living. :whooopie:
We've considered this, and for a while, if one is relatively healthy it would work. But if your medical care should be advanced, or acute, or you need medication supervision, It's beyond the scope of their ability. And cruise ship medicine is a 'for profit' undertaking, your Medicare insurance is not going to help you. Be sure to have a whole bunch of medical and evacuation/repatriation insurance coverage.

Jim

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am off to call the insurance company to see why they denied all my husbands blood work and why we owe the hospital $678.

They should send you an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) with reasons stated.
You might find it online. If you can decider it, it will tell you something like:
... (1) They don't cover "in house" labs, only "independent" labs.
... (2) Then want documentation showing it was medically necessary.
... (3) Coding error.
You may have to ask the hospital to resubmit the claim.

I heard a news story in which the President of the company was shown
an EOB and asked to explain it... He could not and called someone for help.

DW went thru that with Medicare becuz they thought she was covered
under my old policy and we had prove to them that she'd been terminated.

Please let us know.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is being looked into but they are not covering his lipid panel, he is on statins, his thyroid test, he had half removed, and everything else so has to be a coding error I hope. Then another hour on phone with company that supplies cpap and automatically charged our credit card $191 for a mask and then later submitted to insurance and charged him the copay also.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... another hour on phone with company that supplies cpap and automatically charged our credit card $191 for a mask and then later submitted to insurance and charged him the copay also.

Having to deal with stuff like that is enuff to raise one's blood pressure.

After DW was in the hospital for a TIA, she got a bill from some stray doc.
We had to comb thru claim records to prove he'd been paid by insurance.
<arrgh>.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it so happens that I can suffer the 10% penalty in stride, I'll bail out before age 59.5. There are other ways to tap retirement plans, like taking "substantially equal distributions" for at least 5 years. If I catch wind of that rule ending, I might quickly elect it. I otherwise don't like locking myself into anything. My thinking on this has changed greatly since I got sick. It turns out that I want out of the workforce more than I want money. Living simply isn't hard for me and I have proven it again.

There are other circumstances where you could take withdrawals at age 55 without incurring the penalty. This article may help.

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/401k_education/Early_Dist_Options.html#.W6yof_ZFzDc

Brett

Reaction score
Today the Wall Street Journal had an article on people that retire early
Only five (5) easy steps !

FIRE_WSJ_10_12_2018.jpg

Attachments

• FIRE_WSJ_10_12_2018.jpg
    FIRE_WSJ_10_12_2018.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 16

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Today the Wall Street Journal had an article on people that retire early
Only five (5) easy steps !

View attachment 8576

Hah, in the 60s we called them hippies, now its WSJ fodder to live a minimalist lifestyle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro