• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to search county records online?

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I often read here that you can look up recorded deeds and calims against them on the county website.

is there a list of these websites somewhere or how do I find them (only knowing the town of the resort I am interested in)?

What valuable info can be found there to help me in my due diligence?

Thanks!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there isn't any single database of sites for online searchable deeds info. And unless you are searching for specific info, such as whether a deed is in the name of the person selling to you versus the seller and another person, there isn't a whole lot of value to doing a search until you have a copy of the current purported deed in hand. (You might decide to ask for a copy as part of your due diligence).

To start, determine the city, county and state where the resort is located. Then do a Google search, starting first with the county, to find the official government site. Within that government site, you might well find a registrar of deeds, a deeds registry, a county recorder or some similar department. Digging down will show you if there is an online searchable database. If you don't have luck with the county, next try the city and then the state.

There is no consistency from one agency's database to another as to how to perform the search or as to what info you will find. However, unless you have an exact description of the timeshare week or the name of the owner, you might have significant difficulty finding info about the specific timeshare deed that interests you.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thaks, DaveM!

A database of these websites for the most popular timeshare locations would be a great thing.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Timeshare Deeds, Etc., In Orange County, Florida, U. S. A.

Click this link for the on-line deed & document search portal for timeshares & other real estate in Orange County FL.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I often read here that you can look up recorded deeds and calims against them on the county website.

is there a list of these websites somewhere or how do I find them (only knowing the town of the resort I am interested in)?

What valuable info can be found there to help me in my due diligence?

Thanks!

What counties are you interested in? I can try and give you a hand.

Most counties, in my experience, don't put all of the public documents online. Florida is actually quite good in this regard. A couple of counties I have research in NJ gives online access to images. California restricts access due to a state law that makes it illegal for public agencies to post home addresses of public officials. As a result, the don't offer those documents online.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at the moment especially looking for Horizons Branson, so the county should be Taney, MO if I am not completely wrong.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I had an "unexpected" sucess :) on eBay last night, I would also need to have a look at records in Scottsdale, AZ

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the Outer Banks, google ''Dare County'' and select ''deed documents'' from the drop down. You can also go to ''land transfers approved'' from which you can find reported sales prices of timeshares at various resorts.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Routt County CO has a rather complete listing of deeds for the Steamboat Springs area. The County Clerks web page is pretty easy to search.

Chers

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What counties are you interested in? I can try and give you a hand.

Inquiry voluntarily deleted --- found my misplaced info.

Last edited:

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I had an "unexpected" sucess :) on eBay last night, I would also need to have a look at records in Scottsdale, AZ

This is from the assessor. Use the zoom too to zoom in to the level where you can see individual parcels or search at the right if you have a parcel number or address. The picture of a hand with a finger pointing is used to select a parcel for viewing.
http://www.maricopa.gov/Assessor/GIS/Map.html

Recorders office for pulling up images of recorded docs. You can search for free but you have to get an account and pay for each document that you want to view.
http://recorder.maricopa.gov/recdocdata/

Probably not much use, but this is a registry for people that rent out residential condos. Usefull if you live in a condo and want to know which of your neighbors own and which rent.
http://www.maricopa.gov/Assessor/ParcelApplication/ResRental.aspx

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Here is a great portal site for all county records across the country. Search in the public records section. The site tells you if the county has data online or not.

http://www.netronline.com/

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For Scottsdale Ebay unexpected surprise

...Recorders office for pulling up images of recorded docs. You can search for free but you have to get an account and pay for each document that you want to view.
http://recorder.maricopa.gov/recdocdata/..

Good zazz. For Maricopa County this would be the best bet for timeshares. It is always a good idea to make sure there are no title problems prior to any real estate purchase. There are many foreclosures going on in Arizona and that means titles could be affected. However, there are numerous built in safe guards in every transaction that really does not require you to do this, at least in Arizona.

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at the moment especially looking for Horizons Branson, so the county should be Taney, MO if I am not completely wrong.

Sorry I didn't see this request before I went to your Scottsdale request.

Taney County, Missouri doesn't store docs on their own website, they use

http://tapestry.fidlar.com/Splash/Default.aspx

which again requires payment for searches as well as for any documents you wish to view. but if you are looking at any type of serious purchase, whats a couple of bucks? Trying to navigate to the actual search page was kooky. If the Marquis de Sade did web design, this might be what he would have created.

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Becareful, while you are looking up deeds that is only 1 search that is typically done on a title to determine clear title. Not every county or state puts on line things like judgment liens, federal tax liens, probate issues and those kinds of things.

Florida, your safe, all of that is online, you just can not see all the documents, as in a probate, but I know in the Carolina's that those documents are not online.

The caution is you might be able to trace the ownership back to the developer, however, if there is a lien that goes against the sellers or an old seller, you still might not have clean title, as you can not always see that information.

jfitz

Reaction score
Search for Fort Myers, Captiva & Sanibel Florida

Here is the link to the Lee County, Florida records. Lee County includes Fort Myers Beach, Captiva, Sanibel and Lehigh Acres.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
...snip ..... California restricts access due to a state law that makes it illegal for public agencies to post home addresses of public officials. As a result, the don't offer those documents online.

Hi

I found tax roll info for San Diego county info on line and pulled the data into excel and made a chart of resale values ( for Aviara - and have posted it on the message board - go search ) ... of course that was last year and I have totally forgotten how I did that ... but ... it can be done ... especially since in Calif. the TS owner pays the tax directly to the county based upon the price of the property

Greg

ps - sure wish we had some WIKI fans here -this would make a great wiki article on how to get resale info for various areas ...

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I found tax roll info for San Diego county info on line and pulled the data into excel and made a chart of resale values ( for Aviara - and have posted it on the message board - go search ) ... of course that was last year and I have totally forgotten how I did that ... but ... it can be done ... especially since in Calif. the TS owner pays the tax directly to the county based upon the price of the property

Tax info and sales info are available as long as there is no personally identifying data. Any record online will list the proeprty address and other information, but are not supposed to include names. Deeds and liens, which is what I think the OP wanted, are not available online (unless counties were willing to go through a redact anything that could identify an individual.)

Dave H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zazz:
Depends on the area, in Florida all of that with the name is online and in most cases the image of the recorded document as well.....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Zazz:
Depends on the area, in Florida all of that with the name is online and in most cases the image of the recorded document as well.....

This is true, for the unit we purchased in Florida our recorded deed has our names and our perminant address, allong with the sellers.
This information must be available to companies wanting to perform title searches and also for asset searches in the even of lawsuits.

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zazz:

I was only speaking about California

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone!

I could verify that the trust deeds for the mortgages of both units have been released after the mortgages have been paid back.

All done in a few minutes and for just a few $s.