• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How we feel about cars

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Seems we love our cars just like our timeshares.

My husband had a Dodge Charger SRT 8 for years. I remember the first time he picked me up for our first date in it. I was like wow until I had a ride in it. He has it all fancied up, engine and all and even though it was a beautiful sight I didn’t like riding in it long term.

I was always a simple Ford girl until my mil gave me her Volvo sr60 that had all the added features you could ask for. Hubby meanwhile kept riding my old Ford and his Charger.

A few months back he told me he wanted to get an SUV since we travel so much, we can use the space. With so many cars to have space for a new one, one had to go. He kept trying to convince me to get rid of my Volvo. No way.

He kept looking at different SUV’s and ultimately told me he was getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee but the mid model.

Being a good wifey I researched and realized he never would be happy with it, especially since he decided to trade in his beloved Charger. The SRT 8 model I knew was for him, he did too but didn’t want to spend so much. So I research used cars, looking for specific color, upgrades, mileage, price and found 15 cars in the USA that met the criteria and two were in driving distance. One was a dud, the other mint.

Well we got it and it has the racing feel of the Dodge Charger but also has settings for a drive I like. We both love our Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Amusing thread.

Well, I am not a car guy. We own 3 vehicles, but our soft spot is our 2001 F-150 Lariat. It rides well, can haul a lot of stuff, and we feel safe in it. (Safety is a big deal to me. They drive like idiots out there. I don't know why people call them freeways or highways. They are raceways.)

We bought the truck new in 2000 for a little over 30 grand in cash. At the time, it was the most I had ever paid for a vehicle. It will have its 19th "birthday" early next year. I like it more and more each time it racks up another birthday.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I had a 12 cylinder XJS back in the 80's - WORST car I ever owned. So sad the biggest problem was the GM Turbo 350 trans. But, of course, there were many other gremlins. You know when you see LUCAS on the gauges you are in trouble.

Why do the English drink warm beer? :rolleyes:

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA (San Diego RARP)
Waikiki Beach Walk
Great thread!

I was ready to ditch the mini-van. I have a kid that's a hockey goalie, so I still needed room in back for gear. I was all set to get Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav-4, or Jeep Cherokee... Ha ha ha, the joke was on me. I live in the "weather" -- MinneSNOWta, so started researching good snow vehicles. Time and again, Subaru kept coming up.

Yep, you guessed it... I'm now the proud owner of a 2018 Subaru Outback Touring. And I LOVE it, like I haven't loved a vehicle since my first new car purchase (2000 Nissan Sentra, if you're interested in ancient history). It's awesome. Fun to drive, great gas mileage, can fit hockey/lacrosse gear, all the bells & whistles. Plus, a five-star safety rating and a slew of safety features, which with two upcoming teen drivers, is also high on my priority list!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just (9 mos ago) traded my 2001 F150 Lariat SuperCrew on a 2017. I loved my old truck. I also paid a little over $30k for mine. I bought mine in March of 2000, and was told that I was the first one in Idaho to buy a SuperCrew. Not that I cared -- just found it amusing. Anyhow, great vehicle!
Amusing thread.

Well, I am not a car guy. We own 3 vehicles, but our soft spot is our 2001 F-150 Lariat. It rides well, can haul a lot of stuff, and we feel safe in it. (Safety is a big deal to me. They drive like idiots out there. I don't know why people call them freeways or highways. They are raceways.)

We bought the truck new in 2000 for a little over 30 grand in cash. At the time, it was the most I had ever paid for a vehicle. It will have its 19th "birthday" early next year. I like it more and more each time it racks up another birthday.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
My very first brand-new car was a 1973 German-built Ford Capri 2600 V6. A hot little sports coupe with a manual transmission that was a lot of fun to drive, except in snow!! After a couple of more mundane Hondas, my next sports coupe was a brand-new loaded 1983 Honda Prelude. Like the Capri, it was a manual and was a lot of fun to drive on twisting New England roads on trips between Ontario and Nova Scotia.

I never got into the mini-van thing, but we did have a series of Ford and Mercury wagons. But then we replaced those with a fully-loaded 2005 Volvo V70 2.5T AWD turbo. That was a hot little sports wagon. Both my wife and I loved it and I handed it off to her when I bought my current (and all-time favourite) car. Unfortunately, it was totaled when someone T-boned her as they ran a red light in 2016. The Volvo did its job and she walked away without a scratch!! She now drives a fully-loaded 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD. She really likes the Rogue, especially the 360-degree surround cameras and warning system, but she still misses the Volvo.

I still drive my 2008 Infiniti M45X. It has every available option on it, including the rear adjustable seats, TV screen and power sunshade and all the technical goodies that were leading edge at the time, like interactive cruise control, lane-departure warning/prevention and Nav screen with traffic. It is a great handling and very smooth-riding car and the big V8 delivers tons of smooth and immediate power. Love it as much today as the day I drove it out of the dealership 10 years ago. The big V8 will still blow the doors off all but a select (and normally much more expensive) group of cars, although I don't do that much anymore (lol). Will be sorry to see it go when the time comes, but hopefully will still have it for at least a couple more years.

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
I had a 12 cylinder XJS back in the 80's - WORST car I ever owned. So sad the biggest problem was the GM Turbo 350 trans. But, of course, there were many other gremlins. You know when you see LUCAS on the gauges you are in trouble.

Well, I did become good friends with my mechanic! :)

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
My very first brand-new car was a 1973 German-built Ford Capri 2600 V6. A hot little sports coupe with a manual transmission that was a lot of fun to drive, except in snow!!

I bought one of these brand new in 73’ while stationed in Germany. Sweet little car. Had no problem cruising from Stuttgart to K-Town at 105mph! I miss the autobahn.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
awesome thread....

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I did become good friends with my mechanic! :)

Yeah, some car choices do necessitate becoming good friends with the mechanic. Over the course of 6 years (late teens to mid-20's), I was hooked on MGs. I loved little sports cars and convertibles. MGs seemed to be the only such vehicles that I could afford. Fortunately, for me, I formed a friendship with a foreign car mechanic. I owned five different cars (Midgets and Bs), and found them mostly unreliable......but they were fun to drive when they were running! The last one was replaced with a new Honda Civic. Awesomely reliable....but unexciting.

Got married and later replaced it with a used red convertible Chrysler Lebaron. A few years later, we had twins. Too small and got the mini van. Kids got older, and bought a used Toyota Camry from my Mom. Kids got their license and took over the Toyota. Time for Mama to get another convertible sports car. A BMW wasn't on the radar, but in researching and looking around, I discovered the hardtop convertible BMW. I researched and looked around for nine months and decided on a 328i hardtop convertible. I wanted a particular color (Atlantic Blue). I found it. Just came off lease with 26,000 miles and 12 months of warranty left. I bought it off eBay and had it shipped to me. It was delivered in September 2010. I still have it and still get a "rush" when I see it and get in to drive it. My DH bought a used car the following year. The twins grew up and moved out. We still have twins at home....in the garage. We both have 2007 BMW 328 hardtop convertibles (different colors). We "love" our Bimmers. They bring enjoyment to our driving experience. It would be hard having a convertible-free garage. I've looked at newer models recently. The 11 year old's out in the garage still excite us. :banana: Why spend the cash at this point? Neither vehicle has a high resale value. The value is in loving what we own and that they have been cared for and well-maintained. Yes, more costly to maintain and operate than many others we could put in the driveway, but they have been paid for a very long time ago.

My dealio has always been a convertible sports car within a price range that does not require unnecessary debt. I'm happy as a clam! :D

I really like Dave's Porsche. :thumbup: Once I don't have to rely on my sports car as a commuter car, then I can get a two-seater like that! I need my little back seat for the grocery shopping. Also, that beauty probably doesn't fit into my price range tolerance as an occasional sweet little day-tripper. ;)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I really like Dave's Porsche. :thumbup: Once I don't have to rely on my sports car as a commuter car, then I can get a two-seater like that! I need my little back seat for the grocery shopping. Also, that beauty probably doesn't fit into my price range tolerance as an occasional sweet little day-tripper. ;)

Your post makes perfect sense to me. I'd always gone for practical, but after the kids left home, I went more with "What do I want to drive?" kind of cars. I like that you've been able to find a good compromise between form and function to suit your life. Good for you!

Glad you like my car. It's a lot of fun. If you're interested in a two-seater that will leave a smile pasted on your face, you really should explore the Boxster line. They've been out long enough that they aren't uncommon, and pricing can be quite affordable. People think "Porsche" and think "too expensive." If you don't buy brand new, they can be much less expensive than you might think. If you shop carefully, and buy the right car, (do your research), you can get a car that is no more difficult or expensive to maintain than another car. My car is carefully owned and regularly maintained, and isn't driven extensively (it's a weekend toy, not a regular driver), but has never left me on the side of the road. If I wanted to drive it daily, or if one of the regular cars was unavailable, I'd have no qualms about driving this one. Your MG experiences are the horror stories of owning a foreign sports car that have mostly been eliminated with newer ones. I'd recommend a Boxster to anyone who likes the form of the car, and doesn't want to spend a fortune to enjoy it.

And as for your need of a grocery-carrying trunk? Check this: The Boxster is a mid-engine car, and has a trunk on both ends. There are TWO places for those groceries, and the front trunk ("frunk") is surprisingly roomy. I've gone to picnic events where I needed to bring things - that frunk will stow two folding chairs, a cooler, jackets, and a small overnight bag or two. There is a lot of room up there. I was shocked the first time I needed it. :)

Dave

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I seldom drive the X3 as it's my wife's commuter. But we did take it to our timeshare in central Oregon a month ago. There are some mountainous twisty parts between here and there. It was confidence inspiring (and fun ) to go into curves marked 40mph at 70, and never touch the brakes. Never did that in the 10+ years of taking the Pilot. Had I not had my family aboard, I would have put it in auto-manual and been a little more aggressive.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Why do the English drink warm beer? :rolleyes:

You made me think about what I just said. Actually, the worst car I ever owned was a Range Rover Discovery. Every time I drove it, something broke. The Jaguar XJS was the SECOND worst car I ever owned.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I've never owned a Bentley, Aston Martin, or a Rolls Royce, but I have to wonder about their quality after my experiences with Range Rover and Jaguar. I wish I could love Jaguar again, because that F-Type R is BEAUTIFUL!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I've never owned a Bentley, Aston Martin, or a Rolls Royce, but I have to wonder about their quality after my experiences with Range Rover and Jaguar. I wish I could love Jaguar again, because that F-Type R is BEAUTIFUL!

Can you research customer satisfaction sites for that? I've heard Jaguar has greatly improved their reliability since Ford bought them. Not sure if Ford is still in the picture, but I'd like to know what the new Jags are doing for their owners.

Dave

andy25g

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my occasional weekend driver, unfortunately I don’t drive her as much as I’d like. My work car is a Subaru Impreza and I love the car, AWD, gets 30 MPG which is perfect with my work commute.

Attachments

• EC6B0AE6-A91A-44C8-BAC3-E369446EC4C5.jpeg
    EC6B0AE6-A91A-44C8-BAC3-E369446EC4C5.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 26

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
My favorite car, and I was single when I bought it, was a Toyota Celica. It was red and in it I owned the road. :whooopie:
RED Celica was my most fun car too. I also kept it as long as I could manage baby carrier, toddler car seat, booster..., but switched to Toy Matrix when it was introduced and few years ago to Prius. Actually, since we retired and downsized to mountain town in Colorado, I don’t drive much.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I had two old Volvo P1800's during the 1970's (a 1966 and a 1967; not at the same time). Four speed manual + overdrive, 28mpg, great cruiser, tiny tires (165x15). It's been downhill ever since.

My current Audi A4 is a superior car in every respect except cost, but it is not nearly as much fun.

Last edited:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite car was a candy apple red audi coupe. Traded it in for a suburu wagon when the first baby came along. I had a coworker that thought it was outrageous to spend that on a car...at the time you could buy 2 honda sedans for the same price.

When I bought it, we were torn between the audi and the celica.....glad we went with the audi.