• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[HPC Contract Talk] The HPC Maintenance Fee

alameda94501

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is part of a series of posts:

Click here for the Introduction Post
Click here for the HRC and HPC Inventory Post
Click here for the Request List, Wait List, and Reservations Post
Click here for the Annual Conversion Option Post
Click here for the Hyattizing and Developer Benefits Post
Click here for the Sales Tactics using the Reservation Site

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I will try to make this quick; as we peel back the information in the HPC Contracts Package for 2019, there are some questions that go beyond "sales weasels" to the heart of the HPC operation.

One relates to maintenance fees. The initial phase (cf: Tabular Description of Component Sites) of the HPC Portfolio was:

upload_2019-9-8_17-45-32.png

I looked at the Official Record (see this post) and this is more or less correct (there appear to be a few points mis-attributed to in the case of Pinon Pointe). One big point of confusion is that the Official Record reflects "Biennial Points" (e.g. a 1,300 pt week is counted at 2,600 HPC points on the Official Record as it counts Even and Odd weeks together).

With the addition of Wild Oak Ranch II, they added 1,964,350 HPC points (the normal Annual kind, not the Biennial kind, although the Official Record for Wild Oak Ranch II is the only record that confusingly records the Annual points instead of Biennial Points):

upload_2019-9-8_17-48-4.png

So if we believe this statement as 6,492,095 HPC Club Points (Annual, not Biennial), we then see this Budget:

upload_2019-9-8_17-49-19.png

I think the message here is "hey, our expenses went up 24.28% but we are only increasing your maintenance fee by 0.61%". But there are a few eye-popping notes here.

1. The top states: "Budget is based on 10,597,950 [HPC Points]". Whoa. That number over-inflates (?) the number of points for them to take maintenance fees for. They don't have enough inventory for 10,597,950 HPC Points (annual).

2. Looking at the "Component Site Common Expenses" (the maintenance fees they have to pay to the nine resorts) it is $8,614,139, which must include Wild Oak Ranch II - the addition.

3. They also have the 2018 Total Trust Expense, which if we back out their "Trust Administration Fee" would make the "Component Site Common Expenses" in 2018 for the "dregs" of HPC Inventory to be ~ $6,880,621.

That means that the Initial Phase cost per point is $6,880,621 / 4,514,865 = $1.523 per point.

I don't think that makes any sense, given that they cherry picked the nine resorts to be the cheap resorts. Is anyone paying close to $1.523 (and that's an average) per point in maintenance fees?

The change in fees in 2019, an additional $1,733,517 in maintenance fees for Wild Oak Ranch II over the additional 1,964,350 HPC points = $0.882 per point, which is high but more inline with their current $0.8373 per point.

There are a lot of implications on how viable the operation is, since they will never be able to issue 10 million points without incurring MORE component sites and maintenance fees. It can't be a simple typo - even if they made a mistake on the biennial vs annual points they still can only charge annual points as fees.

Does any HPC member have the 2018 version of this budget? How many HPC Points was it based off of? Please PM me!