• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Beach House

Status
Not open for further replies.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if the experts consider $7000 for a bronze annual week at the Hyatt Beach House a good deal. In addition, why does Hyatt charge so much ($550) to transfer the week to someone else. Marriott only charges $25.

The other listing I am looking at is $7800 for annual bronze week at Hyatt Windward Pointe.

I presently own at Marriott and if you own a lower season you can still trade into a platinum week through Interval. Will I be able to use a bronze week to stay during platinum season at these resorts. I know Hyatt is points based and these weeks get 1300 points. However, if I waited to the date that I check in would be, then use my points from the next year to ad to the present years points giving me 2600 points to work with could that be done. Or would I be within the 60 day occupation window.

One last thing is I would like to know when maintenance fees are due. Is it one year before occupancy or the first day of the calender year. In the above scenario say my 2008 check-in date was May 25th 2008. I wait until May 25 2008 to get my 2009 points then put in a request that same day for a date in January 2009. Could that be done and would I have to pay the 2009 maintenance fees when I make the request.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO, $7000 for a Beach House 1300 point week is not a very good deal.

Combining last year's points. It is very difficult to get into a situation where combining last year's points with the current year will work. Each set of points will be in a different category and use of the points is governed by the applicable category.

Maintenance Fees. Fees are due by December 31st. As long as you are in good standing in the system, you can use the points however you desire.

Reservations. If you receive your 2009 points on May 25, 2008, you can use them for a reservation in January 2009.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you consider a good price to pay for 1300 points at the Beach House or the Wyndward Pointe.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The major problem is the 1300 point weeks are low season for Key West. Not too many people are interested in visiting KW during those weeks.

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you consider a good price to pay for 1300 points at the Beach House or the Wyndward Pointe.

I personally would not pay over $5500 for a Bronze week... and I would almost expect it had a current years usage available with it at that price. You will be hard pressed to convince most sellers that is a fair price, but after they continue to try and sell it for 4-6 months for a higher price they will finally come to there senses.

Happy Hunting!!

Steve

PS I believe you will find that 1300 point weeks consistantly sell for around $6500-$7500 on eBay... I just don't think its a "good value" but I do think you can always unload a week in that price zone.... we have always judged our resale purchases by if we paid less than what we feel is true market value.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal that is your opinion but you didn't answer the question.

I believe that any thing less than 60% of the developers price is a good deal. Since these things are selling for $15,900 from Hyatt paying $7000 on the resale market seems lilke a good deal. That is 44% of the developers price.

Tell me what price do you think is a good deal when purchasing 2000 point weeks and what percentage is that of the developers price.

Last edited:

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are you asking if you already believe its a good deal?? If you like it.. purchase it.... The Hyatt system is fantastic!!

I would offer you my opinion on a 2000 point week... but I don't think you liked my other evaluation... so I will defer to others... Kal??

Happy Hunting!

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in other people's opinions to see how it compares to my view.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
ARe you interested in traveling to that resort during your alloted timeframe? If the answer is no then I wouldn't buy it. Over the years I've seen changes made that have affected the way timeshares we own have exchanged. Buying a timeshare strictly to exchange based on a current exchange system could become a disaster only a few years down the road, leaving you with something that no longer works for you.

Personally I'd never lay out $7,000 unless it was a week I would/could use for personal usage. If it's something you want, can use and you're happy with the price then go ahead. If you're just wanting it to exchange and attempt to manipulate the system on the cheap you'll be better off passing it by and waiting until you can own something you don't have to worry about manipulating to get what you want.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Key West and loved it. We stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe and I found it was comparable to Marriott. When I did their tour I found the points system interesting but didn't like how you were not able to trade from a gold or lower level week into the platinum week in the same size unit without borrowing points from the next year. In contrast with Marriott you can trade from a gold into a platinum week with no problem through Interval.

However, since Hyatt has nice resorts on Key West and Marriott doesn't have any I thought it may be a good addition to my portfolio. So, yes I would probably go to Key West most years and trade or rent the unit out when I didn't.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal that is your opinion but you didn't answer the question.

I believe that any thing less than 60% of the developers price is a good deal. Since these things are selling for $15,900 from Hyatt paying $7000 on the resale market seems lilke a good deal. That is 44% of the developers price.

Tell me what price do you think is a good deal when purchasing 2000 point weeks and what percentage is that of the developers price.

My rule of thumb is also 60% but it's on a sliding scale. The high-end units are at one end while the low-end (1300 point) units are at the other. With that I introduce a "value factor". I don't place much value on the 1300 point units so that's considered in my price consideration. Also, I have seen higher point units sell for about $8K. Taken together my number would be close to $5,000 - $5,500. But that's me. If YOU like the price, it's a good price.

A 2000 point week is another situation. I already own a 2000 point week and know Hyatt sells them for north of $30K. $18K would be a great price for a GREAT week.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I just got back from Key West and loved it. We stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe and I found it was comparable to Marriott. When I did their tour I found the points system interesting but didn't like how you were not able to trade from a gold or lower level week into the platinum week in the same size unit without borrowing points from the next year. In contrast with Marriott you can trade from a gold into a platinum week with no problem through Interval.

However, since Hyatt has nice resorts on Key West and Marriott doesn't have any I thought it may be a good addition to my portfolio. So, yes I would probably go to Key West most years and trade or rent the unit out when I didn't.

Then if you'll use it and be happy with the Bronze season I'd buy the bronze season at whatever price point you comfortable with. My concern would be buying into the lowest season available and wanting to get into a better season with that week.

You've probably noticed that there are not a lot of choices, especially high quality choices in Key West. It's not an easy exchange during the more popular seasons so if that's when you really want to go that may be the season you should be looking at purchasing, even if it does cost more. In the long run I think you'd be happier. Generally speaking it's easier to trade down than to trade up.

Sounds like Hyatt has done a decent job of encouraging owners to buy the more expensive seasons by making it harder for the lower seasons to trade up. That's a trend I'm starting to see with developers and I believe we'll see Marriott following that line of thought in the near future.

Like you we're Marriott owners. Like you I have a lower season week (Silver at Ocean Pointe for us) that I have used to trade up (using the studio LO). I've enjoyed that part of Marriott since 2001 but, I fear those days are numbered as Marriott may be positioning itself to more or less "level the playing field" between owners and prevent buying lower seasons to get into better seasons at a bargain price. It's made me leary of buying low to trade high.

Fortunately we own that Silver Season week because it's when we want to travel to Ocean Pointe and we are very happy with that season and unit. For us it's perfect. If that's how you feel about Winward Pointe and that season then I say buy it.

BTW, we have a request into any of the Hyatt's in Key West for what looks like low season there, first couple of week of December, and hope to get one of them (based on I.I.'s demand index). If we'd have wanted to exchange in for this year both Hyatt's Beach House and Windward point show availability for the unit we have put up for exchange. November and December work out great for us in South Florida.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to Key West from Aug. 18 to 25th and stayed at the Hyatt Windward Pointe. I used the one bedroom side of my Marriott Horizons lock-off unit to trade into a 2 bedroom. I didn't have to put in a request. I just did an internet search on Intervals website and it came up. In fact, there were a few weeks that showed at that time during July and August at both the Windward Pointe and Beach House.

I was able to secure a trade into the Harborside at Atlantis last year using my lock-off as well. I have found my Horizon week trades better than my Grande Vista week by doing an internet search using both of them. I found some resorts came up with Horizons that didn't come up with Grande Vista.

You should be able to trade into Key West Hyatt at that time because I believe that is their bronze season. When I traded it was their silver season and I got it. I did notice that the resort wasn't full at that time. However, it was very hot and humid but we did enjoy ourselves. During December should be perfect weather for you to enjoy.

After looking at the resort chart it looks like if I bought silver season, which is 1400 points, it would let me go to Key West from April through to the week before Christmas. I certainly could live with that. Basically I am buying the week to go to Key West because I can go everywhere else I want to go through Marriott. Most of the other Hyatt locations I am not interested in.

Last edited:

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is also 60% but it's on a sliding scale. The high-end units are at one end while the low-end (1300 point) units are at the other. With that I introduce a "value factor". I don't place much value on the 1300 point units so that's considered in my price consideration. Also, I have seen higher point units sell for about $8K. Taken together my number would be close to $5,000 - $5,500. But that's me. If YOU like the price, it's a good price.

A 2000 point week is another situation. I already own a 2000 point week and know Hyatt sells them for north of $30K. $18K would be a great price for a GREAT week.

I would love to find that price out there but realistically I don't think someone is going to sell an annual bronze or silver week for that price. Then you would have to get it past the first right of refusal. Maybe a biennial week could be found at that price range.

I am not interested in spending big bucks to stay in a resort when I can go several other months ( spring, summer, and fall) for less money. On the odd time when I would want to go during the winter months I can always stay in a smaller unit or borrow from the next years point.

When it comes to flexibility I can use my Marriott weeks to go anywhere they are located any time of the year.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Based on what you've said I think I'd go with a Silver 1400 point week. If you're in no hurry to obtain the week and have time to shop around it does not hurt to offer lower bids than what you see advertised and/or selling for on E-bay. The market fluctuates and you could come away saving a couple thousand dollars by being patient. I've seen prices on E-bay for the same resort change by hundreds of dollars if for no other reason than there wasn't as many interested parties bidding during that particular week. Keep in mind that advertised prices on timeshare sales sites are not always the final selling price either.

Finally, if you're talking low season then you may not have to worry so much about ROFR. Typically it seems the many developers only exercise ROFR when they feel it's inventory they can turn around for a quick profit or inventory that they've run short on. Inventory that they have plenty of they seem to let slide by from what I've been able to gather.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
....On the odd time when I would want to go during the winter months I can always stay in a smaller unit or borrow from the next years point..

Borrowing from next year's points has lots of limitations. It's highly unlikely you'll be successful in getting a reservation within 60 days of occupancy during high season.

Also, renting out a low season unit will be a real challenge in Key West.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
Borrowing from next year's points has lots of limitations. It's highly unlikely you'll be successful in getting a reservation within 60 days of occupancy during high season.

Also, renting out a low season unit will be a real challenge in Key West.

I have to say I don't believe that the only time people go to Key West is during the few winter months in January, February, and March. I just got back from there this month and there were plenty of tourist. Tell me why does RCI and Interval have Key West rated red 12 months a year.

If you want to spend max money on Hyatt weeks to travel go ahead. As for me I will spend my money wisely and travel on the cheap yet still stay in 5 star and gold crown resorts. I have been doing that for the past 17 years and don't plan on changing that now. Believe me when it comes time to sell I won't have any trouble selling a week to Key West. Buying a silver week one can travel there spring, summer, and fall.

Why would I want to pay $10,000 more just to go there in the winter months it doesn't make sense for me.

My Marriott weeks offers a far wider selection for traveling to any hot spot during the winter. And I can use me gold weeks, to trade into a platinum week for only $89.

As I said earlier, I only want to buy Hyatt to go to Key West nothing else. And if I can go any time during spring, summer, and fall I will be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to Key West for 3 weeks every year and have been doing so since the early 1990's. I also know the Hyatt system very well.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I go to Key West for 3 weeks every year and have been doing so since the early 1990's. I also know the Hyatt system very well.

As far as I am concerned, I don't see any value in the Hyatt system. You have to spend far to much money even in resale to stay at any of their resorts during prime time. Marriott offers a far better deal for less money and the demand for Marriott resales are huge.

The only reason I am looking at purchasing a Hyatt is because of their properties in Key West. If Marriott had locations there I wouldn't even think about Hyatt.

The only people that should buy Hyatt are those that enjoy spending lots of money. In addition, those who hate the fact that with the Marriott system people who spend a fraction of the money that platinum week owners spend can sit beside them at their resort during the platinum season at the pool and suck back a cool one for only $89:

mesamirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned, I don't see any value in the Hyatt system. You have to spend far to much money even in resale to stay at any of their resorts during prime time. Marriott offers a far better deal for less money and the demand for Marriott resales are huge.

The only reason I am looking at purchasing a Hyatt is because of their properties in Key West. If Marriott had locations there I wouldn't even think about Hyatt.

The only people that should buy Hyatt are those that enjoy spending lots of money. In addition, those who hate the fact that with the Marriott system people who spend a fraction of the money that platinum week owners spend can sit beside them at their resort during the platinum season at the pool and suck back a cool one for only $89:

I'm sorta trying to figure out what you don't know?? Every time someone post something in response to your question, your right there to correct their reply and set them straight.... TUG is a sharing community, where folks try to help each other... no one is trying to be right or wrong; just express our opinions to help each other. You have now sorta slapped 2 of the best experts on Hyatt that post on TUG. Ken and myself. What is your point?? Go get yourself another Marriott and have fun. Maybe start your own website where you can send messages to yourself about how you know everything. I bet you have the best deal EVER with your timeshare purchase than ANY other TUG member (oh wait Guest, I guess your to cheap to even buy a TUG membership and help keep the community alive).

I got sad news for you... you and your 17 years of "experience" can easily be learned and surpassed in a weekend by researching, posting and L-I-S-T-E-N-I-N-G to TUG members post and experience...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorta trying to figure out what you don't know?? Every time someone post something in response to your question, your right there to correct their reply and set them straight.... TUG is a sharing community, where folks try to help each other... no one is trying to be right or wrong; just express our opinions to help each other. You have now sorta slapped 2 of the best experts on Hyatt that post on TUG. Ken and myself. What is your point?? Go get yourself another Marriott and have fun. Maybe start your own website where you can send messages to yourself about how you know everything. I bet you have the best deal EVER with your timeshare purchase than ANY other TUG member (oh wait Guest, I guess your to cheap to even buy a TUG membership and help keep the community alive).

I got sad news for you... you and your 17 years of "experience" can easily be learned and surpassed in a weekend by researching, posting and L-I-S-T-E-N-I-N-G to TUG members post and experience...

Enjoy!

Hey I have my opinion and other have theirs. I don't see that anything that has been posted here as gospel. It is just someone else's preference, experience, and opinion. So if I don't agree because I look at it different I will express myself just like you are doing. Don't take it personal because it is not meant that way. Just an alternate opinion and way of doing things. My experience is not the same as yours. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're just trying to lend some assistance in areas where it is very obvious you need to do considerable homework.

Use of Hyatt Points System - You really need to look again at how the system works with attention given to the various seasons (HRPP, CUP, LCUP), Interval exchanges and borrowing points.

Interval/RCI Red Weeks - Look again at the RED WEEK rating. As a hint, why is September for Caribbean resorts situated in Hurricane Alley a Red Week? For Key West, isn't it odd that Hyatt and every other hotel, bed & breakfast, and resort in the city identify a low season where the occupancies at very low and the rates at rock bottom pricing?

Renting a Key West Unit in Low-season - Have you really looked at the numbers and market potential?

Hyatt v Marriott Reservation System - The differences are day and night. Do you enjoy having to be able to contact Marriott within the first 30 seconds on the first moment you can make a reservation request??

Hyatt Prices - You can use your 1300 points at a price of $7000 and stay at a resort that easily sells for >>>$130,000 per week. Hyatt resorts are neither cheap or affordable for everyone. That's why there are flavors other than vanillla.

Key West Hyatt Units - If you're focusing on a studio or 1 bedroom, there's only one resort - Sunset Harbor. Windward Pointe and the Beach House are 2 BR units. It is very difficult to get a reservation at Sunset Harbor as it has the highest occupancy of any Hyatt resort in the system.

Floridaski

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt

I have been reading this thread - I must of missed something. I thought you were the OP that wanted to buy a Hyatt bronze week. Why would you buy something you do not like..... Kal and Mesa know more about Hyatt then anyone else on TUG. I am going to stop with my observation here, since personal attacks are not allowed. But, they are really being patient with you.....

Status
Not open for further replies.