• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt,Marriott Fourseason ,Westin splitting off from II?

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Where did you hear this from? Just curious. :D

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I, too, would be very interested in where you heard this rumor.

I can assure you that Marriott is not involved in dumping II. Marriott needs the affiliation so that Marriott owners who want to exchange outside of the Marriott system can easily do so. Marriott derives some income from that relationship and isn't likely to want to give it up.

What Marriott is apparently doing is working on an internal trading system, which it hopes to introduce sometime in 2009. That internal exchange system would replace II's role only for Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges.

There are a number of lengthy threads on the Marriott forum on this topic.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I think this is more or less wild speculation right now. Interval exchange opportunities are far to big of a selling point for the major hotel chains to limit themselves to that select group. Furthermore you'll have trouble getting the major hotel chains to come to any sort of agreement as to equitable trades between systems.

For the most part I like Interval. There are MANY resorts outside the big hotel chains that I find worthy of exchanging into. Since I can already exchange between the big hotel chains using Interval with ease, why on Earth would I be in favor of reducing the number of resorts I can select from for exchange?

Like I said, this seems to be mostly wild speculation to me. I can see each hotel chain developing it's own internal exchange system that would eliminate the need for Interal to manage those exchanges. Past that I see no reason to cut off something many owners use.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you disregard the "Big 5" hotel chains, how many Interval resort weeks sell for $80K and higher? For Hyatt, we're talking MUCH, MUCH HIGHER.

IMHO, there is little equivalence when all you get back is, by the vast majority, comparable to Motel 6. I think it's a no brainer to establish quality for quality. Of the Hyatt owners I know, few if any simply don't even consider Interval as a valued option, especially when we have to pay for it whether we use it or not. Moreover, the fee is PER UNIT, and not on a membership basis. If you own 3 Hyatt units, you pay 3 individual Interval fees.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
In my last Disney Vacation Club magazine I received (Disney Files) on Page 5 and 6 they have a two-page spread on exchanges via Interval to North Carolina. They show case Lake Lure, Banner Elk, New Bern, and Atlantic Beach. The big chains can't be everywhere.

There are some "sweet" independent resorts in beautiful locations via Interval. I'd hate to see that choice ever go away (speaking as an owner of Marriott and DVC). I like lots of choices. I also really like Interval's Getaway weeks since we travel mostly off season.

So even if the big chains ever developed a mini system between themselves, I'd still want the option to trade via Interval, too.

benjaminb13

Reaction score
If you disregard the "Big 5" hotel chains, how many Interval resort weeks sell for $80K and higher? For Hyatt, we're talking MUCH, MUCH HIGHER.

IMHO, there is little equivalence when all you get back is, by the vast majority, comparable to Motel 6. I think it's a no brainer to establish quality for quality. Of the Hyatt owners I know, few if any simply don't even consider Interval as a valued option, especially when we have to pay for it whether we use it or not. Moreover, the fee is PER UNIT, and not on a membership basis. If you own 3 Hyatt units, you pay 3 individual Interval fees.

I know wont consider interval- I exchanged My HGVC for RCI and was disappointed- Although I never did the same with Hyatt and II- I am not willing to chance it.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
A twinge more definite here.

I, too, would be very interested in where you heard this rumor.

I can assure you that Marriott is not involved in dumping II. Marriott needs the affiliation so that Marriott owners who want to exchange outside of the Marriott system can easily do so. Marriott derives some income from that relationship and isn't likely to want to give it up.

What Marriott is apparently doing is working on an internal trading system, which it hopes to introduce sometime in 2009. That internal exchange system would replace II's role only for Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges.

There are a number of lengthy threads on the Marriott forum on this topic.

OK Mr. Dave. I may have missed a post or two, or I may be reading too closely between the lines, but this language seems a bit more sure than the last I read about this. What has happen to make it apparent that Marriott is working on something??

Charles "The Curious"

Last edited:

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
[removed because the post I was referring to has been changed]

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Charles -

See this thread for the most recent discussion. The upshot is that Marriott people at an in-the-know level have confirmed the existence of this development project. There has as yet been no formal announcement, which is why a number of people (e.g., in the linked thread) question its existence.

The project was first reported on the Marriott forum in early 2006 and has been discussed in a number of threads since then, including this one and this one.

My use of the word "apparently" in my above post is, IMHO, a significant understatement!

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Duh!

I was part of that last thread too :eek:

I guess the rumor camp set root in my head and the Dave saying it's in the works didn't. I try to remember this time.:wall:

Repeat to self: "Marriott is developing an internal trade system. Marriott is developing an internal trade system . . ."

Charles "The forgetful"

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you Hyatt owners know I only bring things that have been confirmed by two different parties before i state them on this board.

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have called.

According to my sources, which have so far never been wrong for what I have reported here over the past five years or so with respect to Marriott matters, the only new exchange system Marriott is considering is its own internal system.

Thus, I would suggest that no matter how good your info is for Hyatt, I believe it's not good for Marriott.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks and Happy Holidays to all Tuggers!!!!!

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Please speak for yourself, not for all of us.

I'll echo what some others have said here. I like II pretty much as it is. I get great internal Marriott trades, because of the Marriott internal trading priority. And I like the options II gives me for trades to non Marriotts, especially in places where Marriott resorts don't exist.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be fantastic if something like this does happen. I'm hoping your souces are right.

Transit,

Yes I agree with you is would be fantastic!!! I have some BIG owners of Marriott (dr Marriott himself) is going to be asking some top top people at the marriott in the next few day. Dr Marriott knows Marriott and the top people that work for Marriott so they will get some great insider info for us all.

Also some fourseasons owners are going to try to get some info for us!!!

Have a great Holiday Season!!!!

benjaminb13

Reaction score
I have called.

According to my sources, which have so far never been wrong for what I have reported here over the past five years or so with respect to Marriott matters, the only new exchange system Marriott is considering is its own internal system.

Thus, I would suggest that no matter how good your info is for Hyatt, I believe it's not good for Marriott.

Marriott needed an internal exchange system and a reservation overhaul years ago- I left Marriott then out of frustration- but recently, I decided on purchasing NCV in spite of- so Im glad to hear about the internal exchange and hope for improvement in the reservation system-
Anyway IMO Marriott does not need II- Although some of their resorts are nice - many of them are a drop in quality- Almost any timeshare owner can make a reservation and exchange in rCI/II/ or SFX- if they are looking for a specific resort-
Hopefully Carmel is right-
I own at Hyatt and HGVC and I truly think it would be a great benefit for Marriott if it only exchanged quality for quality Marriott/Hyatt/disney/4 seasons/HGVC etc.
I can dream

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Marriott needed an internal exchange system and a reservation overhaul years ago- I left Marriott then out of frustration- but recently, I decided on purchasing NCV in spite of- so Im glad to hear about the internal exchange and hope for improvement in the reservation system-
Anyway IMO Marriott does not need II- Although some of their resorts are nice - many of them are a drop in quality- Almost any timeshare owner can make a reservation and exchange in rCI/II/ or SFX- if they are looking for a specific resort-
Hopefully Carmel is right-
I own at Hyatt and HGVC and I truly think it would be a great benefit for Marriott if it only exchanged quality for quality Marriott/Hyatt/disney/4 seasons/HGVC etc.
I can dream

I agree that Marriott needs a better internal exchange system but, I haven't really had any complaints with the one they have now so long as I make my request well in advance of our occupancy dates. I like the way Hilton and Diamond Resorts handle their internal exchanges but, THEY have control over inventory and not the owners. They choose what weeks are given to the exchange company not the owers. Exchange power is essentially equal throughout those two systems or an average of all their resorts based on what they give to the exchange company.

If Marriott had a similar system it would not please everyone. Those that are talented at getting the toughest weeks in their season will not like having an averaged trade power. Those of us that don't really care that much will like being able to have access to some of the tougher, more popular week that are not given up by Marriott to the exchange companies but are instead held for owners to reserve and occupy. Personally, I'd like an internal trade system where I'd have better access to the harder to get weeks in the system.

Of course, this sort of system would be point based and those that have been talented at trading up may suddenly find that door closed. For that matter I've done very well exchanging my Ocean Pointe Silver season studio for 1 and 2 bedroom units through I.I. If Marriott does go to a points based internal exchange program those options could be gone forever for me. Since I tend to use the master suite of my units and exchange the LO portions, this type of change could hurt me in this way. Still, I'd rather have better availabilty of the tougher weeks to get that come from the developer controling the inventory through a points based reservation system.

As far as an agreement between the "big 5" hotel chains for internal exchange privleges between them....it couldn't hurt. I just don't want to see the external exchange companies like I.I. eliminated. Why cut off an option unless you have to cut off that option? Add enhancements yes. Remove options such as I.I. no. Keep in mind one does not have to use I.I. or RCI unless you want to use it. I have not found it particularly difficult to obtain Marriott or Westin weeks using I.I. Hyatt does not have a great number of locations that I've really been interested in. Next year will be the first time I've even attempted to exchange into the Hyatt system and that will be for Key West.

Last edited:

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I would do.

I would try to boost the power of what are now less desirable weeks [trade wise] to make them more marketable. But of course, I have no idea of exactly how I would do this . . . sort of like a politician.

Charles

benjaminb13

Reaction score
I agree that Marriott needs a better internal exchange system but, I haven't really had any complaints with the one they have now so long as I make my request well in advance of our occupancy dates. I like the way Hilton and Diamond Resorts handle their internal exchanges but, THEY have control over inventory and not the owners. They choose what weeks are given to the exchange company not the owers. Exchange power is essentially equal throughout those two systems or an average of all their resorts based on what they give to the exchange company.

If Marriott had a similar system it would not please everyone. Those that are talented at getting the toughest weeks in their season will not like having an averaged trade power. Those of us that don't really care that much will like being able to have access to some of the tougher, more popular week that are not given up by Marriott to the exchange companies but are instead held for owners to reserve and occupy. Personally, I'd like an internal trade system where I'd have better access to the harder to get weeks in the system.

Of course, this sort of system would be point based and those that have been talented at trading up may suddenly find that door closed. For that matter I've done very well exchanging my Ocean Pointe Silver season studio for 1 and 2 bedroom units through I.I. If Marriott does go to a points based internal exchange program those options could be gone forever for me. Since I tend to use the master suite of my units and exchange the LO portions, this type of change could hurt me in this way. Still, I'd rather have better availabilty of the tougher weeks to get that come from the developer controling the inventory through a points based reservation system.

As far as an agreement between the "big 5" hotel chains for internal exchange privleges between them....it couldn't hurt. I just don't want to see the external exchange companies like I.I. eliminated. Why cut off an option unless you have to cut off that option? Add enhancements yes. Remove options such as I.I. no. Keep in mind one does not have to use I.I. or RCI unless you want to use it. I have not found it particularly difficult to obtain Marriott or Westin weeks using I.I. Hyatt does not have a great number of locations that I've really been interested in. Next year will be the first time I've even attempted to exchange into the Hyatt system and that will be for Key West.

you make a good point-
Anyway ias you are probably already aware- f you go to the Keys-the place to go is Hyatt Sunset Harbor-or beach Houseif you have young ones

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I am sorry...but making a statement like this with nothing to back it up is going to generate questions as well as skepticism from some people.

Someone asking you for more info is not grounds to close a thread.

Someone doing what you told them to to verify your information and getting the opposite answer is not grounds to close a thread.

One or two people not agreeing with your point of view is also not grounds to close a thread.

Everyone here is interested in hearing publicly if your statements are true or not...I fail to see why you would want the thread closed merely becuase noone can verify your information and some are skeptical about it your claims.

I dont see anyone insulting you....or attacking you....or treating you unfairly at all.

however perhaps I missed some items with all the edits in this thread...if so they should have been brought to the attention of the moderators/admins at that time...but I dont see that either.

CMF

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let's have some fun.

Let's think of a "major award" for the first TUGer that posts the details of Marriott's new exchange system [or any new exchange system that Marriott has a hand in creating and participating in].

Here is my suggestion for an award!

legLamp.jpg

Whaddaya think?

Charles

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
hahah....such a great movie =)

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bob -

Echoing TUG Improvements!'s comments, click on the first link in my above post responding to Charles and you'll see numerous examples of significant skepticism about one of my Marriott statements. Such strong skepticism is normal and to be expected on public forums such as here at TUG.

I learned long ago that I have three choices when I have information to share TUG with others here at TUG, such as what you posted here.

1) Share it and take the flack when there is no way for people to independently verify my info.

2) Share it and divulge my confidential sources.

3) Keep it to myself.

In almost every case, I choose #1. Developing a thick skin is necessary if you post otherwise unpublished info here and that info can't be verified by others, isn't popular with others or both!

So join the crowd and take the flack with a smile!! :)