• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt,Marriott Fourseason ,Westin splitting off from II?

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Lake Tahoe, I see the same Marriott Resorts using either a Hyatt week or a Marriott week. These resorts are Marriott Grande Residence and Marriott Timber Lodge and the dates are in March and April.

If a person wanted January or February dates they could probably get them with a request earlier in the year. I have never gone to these locations since I am not a winter person, but I assume an earlier request would get a Hyatt owner into these resorts during the peak period if they wanted.

Once again there are no Hyatt resorts that a search with my Marriott weeks bring up for this location.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Im talking about marriott owners trying to get Hyatt and Hyatt owners trying to get marriott !!!! OFF SEASON ONLY that is the fact my friend!!!

These are the fact and Im correct because I know the Hyatt system and how it works inside and out.

We as Hyatt owners dont care to much about II because we have a great product but it gets frustration for Hyatt,marriott and other 5 star Hotel resorts dont trade better between themselves (off season only and no prime time). Any of theses companies can hold back any week they wish through II and give out any week though II these are the fact my friends. We as owners just have to play with the rules.

Marriott's internal priority gives an edge to other Marriott owners in the exchange process. Marriott owners, as it stands now, reserve the week they want to deposit with I.I. Marriott does not choose the week. If they deposit that prime week with I.I. other Marriott owners have a 21 day window (or something like 21 days, may be a little longer) to reserve that week before it hits the general population for I.I. Generally speaking those prime weeks are taken by other Marriott owners in the Marriott priority period.

Still, no matter what brand you put on it, if only the left over and least desirable weeks are available, what reason is there for having any intergrated exchange system between the big 5? Each of the major developers is going to have to give preference to their owners first and all others second. That will end up leaving the least desirable weeks for any internal exchange program between the "big 5." If that's the case then what's the point? Basically, there is none and it will be no different or better than what you can get through I.I. right now.

Well, I suppose there is ONE benefit. The developers can market this and make people believe they'll have all this access to all these wonderful resorts and all their wonderful weeks. But it's not going to work that way. It will still be the least desirable weeks that go into the exchange pool but, I bet there will be an extra fee tacked on for this privilege which really isn't any sort of privilege at all. Just a big time marketing ploy that sounds great but returns nothing more than what you have now.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
I own both Hyatt and Marriott and when I do a search with my Hyatt week I see the same resorts as when I search with my Marriott week. There are some additional dates I see with the Marriott week but really it isn't much difference.

Doing a search with Hyatt I can see winter weeks at Marriotts in Aruba, Palm Springs, Hawaii, Scottsdale Arizona, Las Vegas, Spain, all the Marriott resorts in Orlando, and numerous other locations. However, If I search using my Marriott week I don't see any Hyatt resorts.

Basically if you own with Hyatt you have very good access to all the Marriott resorts. I was surprised when I first saw this.

If you have an ongoing search for a Marriott week with another Marriott week, the Marriott priority period will put that week with another Marriott owner before the general I.I. public ever see's it. I'm certain that, while prime Marriott weeks are deposited, they are mostly taken by other Marriott owners with ongoing searches.

Also, keep in mind that what hits the the online site IS the left overs not matched with ongoing searches. You're never likely to see any prime weeks at any of the better resorts no matter what you're searching with. You can do online searches to your hearts content and never come up with anything great. For the more difficult weeks you must deposit a good week and go with an ongoing search until it matches. Doing on online search to determine exchange power is a waste of time in most cases. You'll rarely, if ever, find a prime week at a prime resort.

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
It depends on what you are calling prime weeks. If you mean weeks like Christmas, New Years, or the 4th of July, you may or may not be correct. I just got the Hyatt weeks I purchased and haven't tried to request one of those weeks yet.

However, if you are talking about weeks during Marriott platinum season, you are wrong. I have been doing searches with a Hyatt week and I have seen just about every week at most of the Marriott resorts come up.

There are a few dates missing when I compare a Hyatt search with a Marriott search and those are the ones that fall into the 24 day window. However, the selection of Marriott resorts and weeks available doing a Hyatt search is amazing. Like I said I was shocked. I never expected to see what I saw.

Now if you are a Marriott owner looking to stay at a Hyatt resort the searches I have done didn't bring up one Hyatt resort.

The reason may be because Hyatt seems to deposit very few weeks with Interval compared to Marriott so searching with Hyatt gets high priority. I remember when I did the Hyatt tour the salesperson said something about Interval doesn't actually get the Hyatt week until an owner is confirmed into an exchange. So probably as soon as a Hyatt member is confirmed into an exchange and Interval gets the week it is immediately reserved and rarely makes it to the online search. However, with Marriott Interval get the week right away to offer to Marriott owners and after 24 days to offer to other Interval members. Another reason my be that I own in Key West, which is a high demand resort area with very few top quality timeshare resorts.

Whatever the reason, if I sold my Marriott's and just kept Hyatt's I would have no problem getting to the Marriott resorts I like using Hyatt to trade. But, the exchange fee, of course, would be higher.

From what I have been seeing, Hyatt owners definitely have an huge advantage getting into Marriott resorts during prime season compared to Marriott owners getting into Hyatt resorts.

Last edited:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another major disadvantage in non-Hyatt owners getting a Hyatt thru Interval is the fact that the majority of Hyatt units don't even become available until 6-months prior to occupancy. For Interval, the units probably don't even become available until much less than that.

Most people are likely to search Interval on a longer term horizon and therefore will not find a Hyatt unit. Many can't wait until maybe 90 days prior to occupancy to book a unit.

There is a BIG demend to exchange into Hyatt. So the entire Hyatt approach to Interval only helps selling of Hyatt units rather than exchanging. It's supply and demand working in favor of the Hyatt Marketing Department.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
It depends on what you are calling prime weeks. If you mean weeks like Christmas, New Years, or the 4th of July, you may or may not be correct. I just got the Hyatt weeks I purchased and haven't tried to request one of those weeks yet.

However, if you are talking about weeks during Marriott platinum season, you are wrong. I have been doing searches with a Hyatt week and I have seen just about every week at most of the Marriott resorts come up.

There are a few dates missing when I compare a Hyatt search with a Marriott search and those are the ones that fall into the 24 day window. However, the selection of Marriott resorts and weeks available doing a Hyatt search is amazing. Like I said I was shocked. I never expected to see what I saw.

Now if you are a Marriott owner looking to stay at a Hyatt resort the searches I have done didn't bring up one Hyatt resort.

The reason may be because Hyatt seems to deposit very few weeks with Interval compared to Marriott so searching with Hyatt gets high priority. I remember when I did the Hyatt tour the salesperson said something about Interval doesn't actually get the Hyatt week until an owner is confirmed into an exchange. So probably as soon as a Hyatt member is confirmed into an exchange and Interval gets the week it is immediately reserved and rarely makes it to the online search. However, with Marriott Interval get the week right away to offer to Marriott owners and after 24 days to offer to other Interval members. Another reason my be that I own in Key West, which is a high demand resort area with very few top quality timeshare resorts.

Whatever the reason, if I sold my Marriott's and just kept Hyatt's I would have no problem getting to the Marriott resorts I like using Hyatt to trade. But, the exchange fee, of course, would be higher.

From what I have been seeing, Hyatt owners definitely have an huge advantage getting into Marriott resorts during prime season compared to Marriott owners getting into Hyatt resorts.

You're probably right. As it's been said before Marriott owners choose the week the want to reserve and it's that week that they'll deposit with I.I. When I've done internal exchanges I deposit the week I've reserved (try to get the strongest one available) and request the week/unit I want in advance of when it could be reserved and deposited. Marriott doesn't control it's inventory like some Hilton and apparently like Hyatt seems to do.

Carmel85

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Lake Tahoe, I see the same Marriott Resorts using either a Hyatt week or a Marriott week. These resorts are Marriott Grande Residence and Marriott Timber Lodge and the dates are in March and April.

If a person wanted January or February dates they could probably get them with a request earlier in the year. I have never gone to these locations since I am not a winter person, but I assume an earlier request would get a Hyatt owner into these resorts during the peak period if they wanted.

Once again there are no Hyatt resorts that a search with my Marriott weeks bring up for this location.

Saturn,

Can you check Marriott lake tahoe summer weeks for 2008 to see if in the marriott system there is space because in the Hyatt IIi no space except for late spring and fall.

Thanks again

saturn28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did a search from the June 1 to August 31. Both the Hyatt and Marriott search pulled the Marriott Timber Lodge showing availability on June 1, 7, and 8th. However, I am sure if you wanted to stay at Marriott during July or August and put a request in now you would probably get something. In addition, once you are within a 90 day window there seems to be more inventory available when you do a manual search. Another thing I have found is if you do a search between 6am and 7:30am there seems to be new inventory that has come in overnight available. If you wait until later in the morning or day it disappears especially if it is to high demand locaitons.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Well, one of Carmel85's predicitions apparently has come true with the new Hyatt location.

I must say it's an interesting and exciting thought that there would be some sort of cooperation between the big 5 for internal exchange privledges of some sort. I know I'd be excited to see it happen.

I usually put myself in the hopeful/optimistic but skeptical bracket. Unless I see a clear cut reason (ie: profit motive) for the developer, then I don't see them making a change. Some sort of cooperative venture might help sales but, it could just as easily push prospects to look at all the other systems first as I'm certain those systems would want to retain an owner preference to get into their resorts first, leaving what's left over for the rest to pick through. I know if I was sitting at the round table I'd want to look at all the cooperative systems first and pick the one with the resorts I was most likely to want to visit. Of course, I'd also want to compare prices to make sure I was getting the best deal between the "big 5" rather than buy from the first one a tripped over.