• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt not exercising first right of refusal...

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
looks like Hyatt is NOT exercising their first right of refusal these days. Times are achanging. It will be interestsing to see what the next year brings us all. :)

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
looks like Hyatt is NOT exercising their first right of refusal these days. Times are achanging. It will be interestsing to see what the next year brings us all. :)

What did you buy, pray tell?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt has not been exercising ROFR for six months now (guesstimate). I think once Marriott gets their act together it will reverse and we will see anything good (ie platinum and diamond) get taken. Grab one while you can, our Highlands Inn Platinum showed up in the account two weeks ago (paperwork started last November, ROFR cleared at the start of this year).

Right now I am seriously debating adding another Hyatt (while we know it will get through ROFR) or diversifying with a Hilton Vegas property (would be our first outside the Hyatt system, but can pick one up down the road). Suggestions?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hyatt has not been exercising ROFR for six months now (guesstimate). I think once Marriott gets their act together it will reverse and we will see anything good (ie platinum and diamond) get taken. Grab one while you can, our Highlands Inn Platinum showed up in the account two weeks ago (paperwork started last November, ROFR cleared at the start of this year).

Right now I am seriously debating adding another Hyatt (while we know it will get through ROFR) or diversifying with a Hilton Vegas property (would be our first outside the Hyatt system, but can pick one up down the road). Suggestions?
How many Hyatt weeks do you currently own?

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
I am still waiting to hear on my annual Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar Platnimum that I picked up for just over $200 all in (coming up to the 30-day mark next week). Glad to hear that it should pass! Then they just need to get the resort reopened before my fixed week 3 in 2020 so I can be one of the first ones at a newly rebuilt resort! The last report on reopening was December 2019.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two, both platinum, one Beach House, the other Highlands Inn. We really like the Hyatt properties, however, would like to go to some other places. I have looked at using Interval to exchange, but every time I look at it, there just does not seem to be properties available when and where we would like to go. When we were looking at the different systems a few years ago, Hyatt was our first choice, Hilton our second. Hilton still looks to be a good choice as the two systems seem to compliment each other (and HGVC is still adding properties). All that being said, I truly do think Marriott is going to clamp down on Hyatt resale (either through ROFR or restrictions on non grandfathered unit weeks) at some point... so possibly better to get everything we might want with Hyatt now.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am still waiting to hear on my annual Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar Platnimum that I picked up for just over $200 all in (coming up to the 30-day mark next week). Glad to hear that it should pass! Then they just need to get the resort reopened before my fixed week 3 in 2020 so I can be one of the first ones at a newly rebuilt resort! The last report on reopening was December 2019.
wow great deal.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Two, both platinum, one Beach House, the other Highlands Inn. We really like the Hyatt properties, however, would like to go to some other places. I have looked at using Interval to exchange, but every time I look at it, there just does not seem to be properties available when and where we would like to go. When we were looking at the different systems a few years ago, Hyatt was our first choice, Hilton our second. Hilton still looks to be a good choice as the two systems seem to compliment each other (and HGVC is still adding properties). All that being said, I truly do think Marriott is going to clamp down on Hyatt resale (either through ROFR or restrictions on non grandfathered unit weeks) at some point... so possibly better to get everything we might want with Hyatt now.
We bought a Vistana unit a little over a year ago because they have a large foot in the door with Hawaii properties which makes it fairly easy to trade in. so I understand buying Hilton if it has more locations you'd like to go. Also it's one unit that is not under the Marriott umbrella (all 4 of ours are). On the other hand Hilton resales are higher as they do keep a tight lease as does Marriott on ROFR There are incredible Hyatt deals out there now and that won't last. We paid 3,000 for 1880 pts at Pinon Pointe but got this year's points for free as they already paid MFs for 2019. We bought it at the airport returning from our stay at Hyatt Kaanapali. We probably should have held out for a better week but we are still pleased. Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
We own Hyatt Highlands and love it.. Sold our EOY at Highlands....maintenance fees just getting to be too expensive. Even if Marriott changes the system (we own a Marriott and their vacation club points system works well too) we are finding we need a little more flexibility now that there is just the 2 of us and that the timesharing scene has changed so much in the last 20 years. We enjoy our timeshares and use them. :)

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I see that Sedona and San Antonio seem to have the lowest MF they both work for me because I live in Texas and already own a timeshare in Flagstaff. I think I would prefer to own in Sedona but it looks like I might be able to buy San Antonio for less. What do you think is a good deal on a plat 2000 point week at either property ? What about a gold 1880 point week?

I just gave away a nice timeshare and cant believe I am already looking at buying either a Hyatt or Vistanna

Does the purchase price and residual value change much if its EOY

Last edited:

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I see that Sedona and San Antonio seem to have the lowest MF they both work for me because I live in Texas and already own a timeshare in Flagstaff. I think I would prefer to own in Sedona but it looks like I might be able to buy San Antonio for less. What do you think is a good deal on a plat 2000 point week at either property ? What about a gold 1880 point week?

I just gave away a nice timeshare and cant believe I am already looking at buying either a Hyatt or Vistanna

Does the purchase price and residual value change much if its EOY
We bought a 2/2 Platinum (2,000 point) Fixed Week 23 for $4K plus closing/transfer last August. We paid $6K for Platinum Week’s 22 and 23 back in 2017 so prices are falling.
We paid a little over $200 all in for a Week 15 $1400 point week back in 2017 as well. We use all of the units and points for a family reunion every June. HWOR is fantastic for kids and golfers, and really good for single malt Scotch drinkers!

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We bought a 2/2 Platinum (2,000 point) Fixed Week 23 for $4K plus closing/transfer last August. We paid $6K for Platinum Week’s 22 and 23 back in 2017 so prices are falling.
We paid a little over $200 all in for a Week 15 $1400 point week back in 2017 as well. We use all of the units and points for a family reunion every June. HWOR is fantastic for kids and golfers, and really good for single malt Scotch drinkers!

Did you find them on redweek ? broker ?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Did you find them on redweek ? broker ?
I found them on Redweek. I purchased the $6K Week 22 from Bill Gabrielli and the $4K Week 23 from Lisa Roach at Timeshare Resale Partners. I purchased the other Week 23 and Week 15 on eBay.
There is a 3BR Week 37 on eBay right now, current bid $1

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first choice is Sedona because i would actually go there. If I get Texas it would only be for the points I would never go there. Been to SAT too many times .