• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Help needed! I remember reading on this forum that Hyatt has a kiosk in downtown Key West where the offer to attend the "owners update" is $150 instead of the $150 offered at the resort. I can't seem to find that thread. Can anyone tell me where the kiosk is? I'd like to sign up today.
At the Hyatt hotel they also offer more

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Hyatt calls you prior to check-in to set up an appointment for the "owners update (HPP sales pitch)" they will give you $75. If you set up an appointment after check-in you will get $100. If you go to the Kiosk, you will get $150.

If married, both husband and wife must attend the pitch. If only one spouse attends the presentation, you will not be paid and maybe not even be allowed to attend.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! We ended up with $100. I went to the Kiosk and the guy was clueless. He didn’t seem to have any interest in Hyatt. I asked several questions and he never even tried to sign us up. Just chillin! As for the presentation, I’ll post observations on a different thread.

snettleship

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went through the pitch today in Key West and try and parrot it back using my unit as an example. My unit was 1880 points and is now 2200 as they are reworking the point values based on the usual seasonal demand. Some up, some down. Lets go with the 660 point example given in the pitch for the Portfolio Program. Purchasing the 660 points in the new Portfolio Program would make the total 2860 for my unit for trading purposes. Cost is 660*20/point: $13200 (your mileage may vary over time+closing cost per state).
- allows use of 2860 in the Portfolio. If you don't purchase, you basically have what you have now with CUP, LCUP....
- the new program has per day points/per season week. In my 2BR Key West example of a 2200/week,
Sun-Fri is 220 points/day
Sat is 880 points
Total still 2200
- You can now book stays per/day. So, you can book Sun-Fri for a total of 1320 points leaving 2860-1320=1440 points
- You can then book another stay using those remaining points
- That's how they rationalize the additional MF since you now have enough points for 2 stays. The reason for not having the more expensive resorts on the list is it would skew the .83cent/660 conversion to make the MF higher.
- A good feature, unlike the Sheraton/SPG point system you can roll any points up to 2 years and there was some discussion of a further 2 years but maybe that was banking them into II
- You can also transfer them to Hyatt hotel points
- The "priority" access to booking as I understood is the Portfolio members can book/wait list 15 months ahead where an existing CUP member is still 6 months to request an exchange from existing inventory. I assume it is first-in-first-book bases on the inventory depending on other Portfolio members making reservations similar to when you get to your 6 months before owned date your unit automatically goes into the CUP inventory. I would assume then the Portfolio members are on the wait list earlier thus they have "priority" over the existing members that are just coming onto the wait list in CUP. I can't confirm that, it is the impression I got.

So, that is what I heard or think I heard from this particular pitch at this particular time.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just went through the pitch today in Key West and try and parrot it back using my unit as an example. My unit was 1880 points and is now 2200 as they are reworking the point values based on the usual seasonal demand. Some up, some down. Lets go with the 660 point example given in the pitch for the Portfolio Program. Purchasing the 660 points in the new Portfolio Program would make the total 2860 for my unit for trading purposes. Cost is 660*20/point: $13200 (your mileage may vary over time+closing cost per state).
- allows use of 2860 in the Portfolio. If you don't purchase, you basically have what you have now with CUP, LCUP....
- the new program has per day points/per season week. In my 2BR Key West example of a 2200/week,
Sat is 880 points
Total still 2200
- You can now book stays per/day. So, you can book Sun-Fri for a total of 1320 points leaving 2860-1320=1440 points
- That's how they rationalize the additional MF since you now have enough points for 2 stays. The reason for not having the more expensive resorts on the list is it would skew the .83cent/660 conversion to make the MF higher.
- A good feature, unlike the Sheraton/SPG point system you can roll any points up to 2 years and there was some discussion of a further 2 years but maybe that was banking them into II
- The "priority" access to booking as I understood is the Portfolio members can book/wait list 15 months ahead where an existing CUP member is still 6 months to request an exchange from existing inventory. I assume it is first-in-first-book bases on the inventory depending on other Portfolio members making reservations similar to when you get to your 6 months before owned date your unit automatically goes into the CUP inventory. I would assume then the Portfolio members are on the wait list earlier thus they have "priority" over the existing members that are just coming onto the wait list in CUP. I can't confirm that, it is the impression I got.

So, that is what I heard or think I heard from this particular pitch at this particular time.
The bottom line is availability of Portfolio units to book. As of February, there were about 20 units in the Portfolio at Sunset Harbor. The remaining 2100 units are in the HRC (legacy program). Of those 20 units, one was in April, one in May and the balance in mid-summer.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sat is 880 points
Total still 2200

Thanks but I was under the impression we could get on the wait list even before we had points at 18 mos to get our priority rankin
Sat is 880 points
Total still 2200

Most of the 6 day portfolio units I saw, included a Sat. I didn't see any online in Florida, Texas A.Z. or .CA that saved you points so not sure how usable the avoiding Sat would be. Maybe waitlist would help

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sat is 880 points
Total still 2200

Thanks for all this. Probably the clearest summary I've read yet.

Bottom line, sounds like we are being asked to pay $13k, plus an extra $550 per year, to be able to get on the CUP waitlist 9 months earlier than regular HRC members, and for the ability to reserve any number of days with any check-in day. Those are the primary benefits.

It does not seem worth the expense however its impact on legacy owners depends on how many people do take the bait and switch over. If enough people joined HPP, it could potentially become next to impossible for a legacy owner to exchange into other Hyatt resorts, because they will always be behind the HPP members on the waitlist.

It may also dampen the resale market. Many buy in specifically for the points and the ability to exchange. If exchanges become more difficult it may be a disincentive to buy in via resale.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bottom line, sounds like we are being asked to pay $13k, plus an extra $550 per year, to be able to get on the CUP waitlist 9 months earlier than regular HRC members, and for the ability to reserve any number of days with any check-in day. Those are the primary benefits.

It does not seem worth the expense however its impact on legacy owners depends on how many people do take the bait and switch over. If enough people joined HPP, it could potentially become next to impossible for a legacy owner to exchange into other Hyatt resorts, because they will always be behind the HPP members on the waitlist.

It may also dampen the resale market. Many buy in specifically for the points and the ability to exchange. If exchanges become more difficult it may be a disincentive to buy in via resale.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
The waitlists are separate so an HRC owner on the waitlist should still have first access to and confirmation for the HRC units.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Incorrect. Remember, the HRC trust is separate and distinct from the HPP trust. Therefore, HRC members are not at a disadvantage unless a huge number of legacy owners pay to convert. Based on the information shared on these boards, that appears unlikely.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. Remember, the HRC trust is separate and distinct from the HPP trust. Therefore, HRC members are not at a disadvantage unless a huge number of legacy owners pay to convert. Based on the information shared on these boards, that appears unlikely.

Ya know, I've been thinking about it. Even if conversion from HRC to HPP were free, and it is very far from that, I'm not sure I would do it.... I'm not sure others would either. Part of the beauty of the Hyatt system was that you could get a unit where and when you wanted to be somewhere. The where part even down to the specific unit with a particular location or view. Someone who bought that specific location, time, etc... may be hard pressed to give up their deed. I have heard over and over again, and said it my self, buy where you want to go. Well, anyone who did just that cannot be guaranteed that if they make the conversion that they will be able to use their specific unit, location, week, etc. That is a big turn off for a number of folks who bought in to Hyatt. Sure, there are folks who bought just for points. These folks may want to convert their unit to HPP. However, the people who bought specifically for points probably did so with maintenance fees per point in mind. The new HPP has a higher maintenance fee per point than a number of the lowest cost maintenance fee properties.

I guess what I am getting at with the last paragraph is that I was origionally concerned at the possibility of mass conversion when and if Hyatt ever makes it cheap to convert, thus limiting options for the hold out HRC folk. However, the more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with the idea that the "hold out HRC folk" may be significantly greater in number than once thought... hence, trading options for HRC may be minimally impacted.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ya know, I've been thinking about it. Even if conversion from HRC to HPP were free, and it is very far from that, I'm not sure I would do it.... I'm not sure others would either. Part of the beauty of the Hyatt system was that you could get a unit where and when you wanted to be somewhere. The where part even down to the specific unit with a particular location or view. Someone who bought that specific location, time, etc... may be hard pressed to give up their deed. I have heard over and over again, and said it my self, buy where you want to go. Well, anyone who did just that cannot be guaranteed that if they make the conversion that they will be able to use their specific unit, location, week, etc. That is a big turn off for a number of folks who bought in to Hyatt. Sure, there are folks who bought just for points. These folks may want to convert their unit to HPP. However, the people who bought specifically for points probably did so with maintenance fees per point in mind. The new HPP has a higher maintenance fee per point than a number of the lowest cost maintenance fee properties.

I guess what I am getting at with the last paragraph is that I was origionally concerned at the possibility of mass conversion when and if Hyatt ever makes it cheap to convert, thus limiting options for the hold out HRC folk. However, the more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with the idea that the "hold out HRC folk" may be significantly greater in number than once thought... hence, trading options for HRC may be minimally impacted.
I hope you're right! We bought at High Sierra when they first opened and were truly happy with the whole system until recently as evidenced by all of our perfect owner surveys. I really resent that we are not being informed and have to guess how we are affected by HPP. It seems a bit shady. They need to give us the details. My husband and I have never even been informed that there is an HPP. If we didn't belong to TUG we wouldn't have a clue.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you're right! We bought at High Sierra when they first opened and were truly happy with the whole system until recently as evidenced by all of our perfect owner surveys. I really resent that we are not being informed and have to guess how we are affected by HPP. It seems a bit shady. They need to give us the details. My husband and I have never even been informed that there is an HPP. If we didn't belong to TUG we wouldn't have a clue.

I agree, if it were not for TUG, we would be pretty clueless about HPP. I'm sure I would have started asking questions after I saw the difference in booking types.

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score

OK I may have been misunderstanding the separation between the two.

However (not being a lawyer), I am still not convinced that Hyatt cannot simply place a HPP request ahead of a HRC request, and fill it from whichever inventory becomes available. Is there something in writing that says they cannot do this?

If the two are completely separate, and only a tiny percentage of units are in the HPP trust, how would they ever fill exchange requests for HPP members?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
OK I may have been misunderstanding the separation between the two.

However (not being a lawyer), I am still not convinced that Hyatt cannot simply place a HPP request ahead of a HRC request, and fill it from whichever inventory becomes available. Is there something in writing that says they cannot do this?

If the two are completely separate, and only a tiny percentage of units are in the HPP trust, how would they ever fill exchange requests for HPP members?
Theoretically, their inventory grows as their HPP population grows so that this problem takes care of itself. However, what you are describing is certainly possible--and would be a complete violation of the contracts all HRC owners have in their possession. If Hyatt/ILG did what you're suggesting, they would be in breach of contract and open to owner lawsuits. Of course, how an HRC owner would become aware that this is happening and proving it in court would be extremely difficult.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've talked to various HRC owners who bought into the HPP program. Here are reasons they provided for the purchase:
  • You can get every reservation you want at even the most difficult resort
  • You get "priority" reservation confirmation 18 months in advance
  • The $2,500 "discount" is a great incentive
  • In the HRC, we are tired of lack of availability and high costs of renting to fill our multi-week stay

• You can stay any number of days
  • You can keep your deed and have 12 weeks at the beginning of each year to determine if you will give HPP your unit.
  • There will be a large number of new resorts which will not be available in HRC

The first set of reasons is absolutely false. The second set is very questionable. The HPP sales pitch is carefully designed to provide the buyer with all the knee-jerk incentives to purchase HPP. The next conversation will be to check back with them to see if the HPP meets those goals.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've talked to various HRC owners who bought into the HPP program. Here are reasons they provided for the purchase:
  • The $2,500 "discount" is a great incentive
  • In the HRC, we are tired of lack of availability and high costs of renting to fill our multi-week stay

• You can stay any number of days
  • You can keep your deed and have 12 weeks at the beginning of each year to determine if you will give HPP your unit.
  • There will be a large number of new resorts which will not be available in HRC

The first set of reasons is absolutely false. The second set is very questionable. The HPP sales pitch is carefully designed to provide the buyer with all the knee-jerk incentives to purchase HPP. The next conversation will be to check back with them to see if the HPP meets those goals.
And the fact that much of this is untrue, is why we have received nothing in writing .

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score

I suppose this is why I am not convinced that they will not simply fill requests from the overall Hyatt pool (whether it be HRC or HPP).

It seems they are opening themselves up to litigation either way, by making promises to new owners that they cannot fill (due to the limited number of HPP trust units available), or by, as WalnutBaron stated, violating contracts with current HRC owners.

I suppose the "promises" made by sales people are not legally enforceable but they are clearly misleading customers UNLESS (and this is what I suspect will happen), they use HRC units to fill exchange requests for HPP members. There is simply no other way it could work imo.

Just to clarify... let's say an existing HRC member decides to pay the $13K and "upgrade" to an HPP membership. Clearly they have to still be able to make exchanges, just as they did before the upgrade. If, after they upgrade, they can't seem to get anything they want due to lack of available HPP units (whereas before they were often able to make in-club exchanges without much difficulty)... there would be outrage on the part of those who paid a lot of money to upgrade. The HRC inventory MUST be available to them, or the entire program does not work (or at the very least would take years to scale up to a point where it DOES work). What am I missing?

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Just wondering since II and ILG are publicly traded, they would need to publish certain directions they are planing in their prospectus/SEC filing. It is available online, and at 167 pages...I didn't read it. I wonder if the "plan" is hidden in there? I wouldn't expect details but they are obligated to provide the direction. google...ILG investor relations...

As an owner in HRC system, I would expect owners would defend their rights if HPP by design (intentional or not) were to negatively affect the "trading power/value" and monetary value of my deed week.

If II is creating HPP to in a sense to compete against it's self and HRC owners (to generate greater profits), to the determent of HRC, then how is that not actionable? (collusion) I'm sure II/ILG have lots of legal opinions on this, but at what point do they have, if ever, an obligation to disclose their HPP plans to those in HRC ownership?

Personally, not worried at all, in fact I think all of this HPP, facts and rumors is solidifying the HRC "reasons to own side". That is to say use what you bought thinking.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we are saying here focuses almost entirely on the ability for HPP to reserve something. We know that the HPP trust will be relatively void of meaningful quality units. Thus the only avenue is the HRC inventory. So let's assume HPP has full access to AVAILABLE HRC units. By far that availability occurs at 6-month prior to occupancy. If an HPP owner checks out availability at 18, 15 or 12 months prior to occupancy, the options will be almost none.

The wait list is therefore the only choice. Even though the rules specify two separate wait lists, getting on the HPP wait list will yield little or nothing. My understanding is the HPP and HRC have full access to each other's available units at the 6-month date. In the case of there being only ONE wait list for HPP and HRC owners, it's just a date stamp when the request is made. First come, first served. For HPP, you would have to own 6600 points to get on the wait list at 18 months, 4400 at 15 months and 2200 at 12 months. Therefore, IMHO, the threat to HRC is small.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose this is why I am not convinced that they will not simply fill requests from the overall Hyatt pool (whether it be HRC or HPP).

It seems they are opening themselves up to litigation either way, by making promises to new owners that they cannot fill (due to the limited number of HPP trust units available), or by, as WalnutBaron stated, violating contracts with current HRC owners.

I suppose the "promises" made by sales people are not legally enforceable but they are clearly misleading customers UNLESS (and this is what I suspect will happen), they use HRC units to fill exchange requests for HPP members. There is simply no other way it could work imo.

Just to clarify... let's say an existing HRC member decides to pay the $13K and "upgrade" to an HPP membership. Clearly they have to still be able to make exchanges, just as they did before the upgrade. If, after they upgrade, they can't seem to get anything they want due to lack of available HPP units (whereas before they were often able to make in-club exchanges without much difficulty)... there would be outrage on the part of those who paid a lot of money to upgrade. The HRC inventory MUST be available to them, or the entire program does not work (or at the very least would take years to scale up to a point where it DOES work). What am I missing?

FWIW: Nobody (HRC or HPP) is getting a reservation at 18 months out - 95% of reservations are filled 6 months prior to check in. HPP buyers have 1st dibs on HPP trust units - the problem with that is the number of trust units available at the various resorts (great selection at Windward Pointe - only 20 or so weeks at Sunset Harbor). HPP buyers have access to HRC, but only after the HRC owner gives up their deeded week (remember.... no points program can trump a deed).

You are correct, there will be outrage on the part of those who paid a lot of money to upgrade ..... when they can't seem to get anything they want due to lack of available in HPP or HRC. The sad part is that the HPP sales staff is saying "Oh it will be great, look at all the resorts you have access to" - however, the HPP buyer is hearing " Oh it will be great, look at all the resorts I can get into". Using Sunset Harbor as the example, its been a challenge to exchange into for years, adding more exchange requests via the HPP buyer is not going to make more units appear at HSH. Note: used HSH as it has the highest (or 2nd highest - toggles back and forth btwn HSH and HHI) year round occupancy rate of 92-94% and the highest rate of HRPP reservations of 90%. So until the HSH deeded owners give up their week, nobody (HPP or HRC exchangers) has access or priority to HSH - but a totally different story at Windward Pointe as Hyatt dumped all the unsold unit/weeks into the HPP trust, so lots of access for HPP and HRC exchangers there.

Unlike the HRC owner that is guaranteed a specific week/unit, an HPP owner is not guaranteed anything - unfortunately, the HPP owner has a handful of points that are pretty much worthless unless they find a resort that they can exchange into.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just re-read the Club to Club Exchange Agreement that is posted on the website. Section 7 (pgs. 6,7, and 8) addresses reservation rights. It looks to me like an HPP owner has access to any HRC Club Use unit which becomes available during the year as long as they have points in their account. Those would all be in CUP. It also states that there are 2 waitlists. If the HPC owner has a request on his (HPC) waitlist for a specific week and that week becomes available in the HRC, will he be confirmed into the HRC unit given that he has a right to any HRC unit that is in CUP? Some of those become available when an owner makes an exchange before 6 months out. To try to simplify--would an HPP owner on the HPP waitlist be confirmed into an HRC unit? If that's the case, having 2 waitlists doesn't do us much good. Does anyone know if the Portfolio owners have access to all (HRC&HPP) of the inventory on the website? It seems like they might since we have access to Portfolio units.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I just re-read the Club to Club Exchange Agreement that is posted on the website. Section 7 (pgs. 6,7, and 8) addresses reservation rights. It looks to me like an HPP owner has access to any HRC Club Use unit which becomes available during the year as long as they have points in their account. Those would all be in CUP. It also states that there are 2 waitlists. If the HPC owner has a request on his (HPC) waitlist for a specific week and that week becomes available in the HRC, will he be confirmed into the HRC unit given that he has a right to any HRC unit that is in CUP? Some of those become available when an owner makes an exchange before 6 months out. To try to simplify--would an HPP owner on the HPP waitlist be confirmed into an HRC unit? If that's the case, having 2 waitlists doesn't do us much good. Does anyone know if the Portfolio owners have access to all (HRC&HPP) of the inventory on the website? It seems like they might since we have access to Portfolio units.

I know people here on TUG keep saying that HPP owners cant access HRC units, but I agree it sounds like they might be able to.

On practical grounds, no HRC units can possibly become available until 12 months out, so in reality I think it might work out to:
A. 18 months ahead, only HPP units can possibly be available, and only HPP owners can access this inventory. Fair enough, since its HPP inventory for sure.

B. 12 months ahead, both HRC and HPP are able to access HRC units. Is there one pool of inventory that both groups have access to? If so, how is priority determined? If this is the case, the solution is going to be deciding where you want to go early and getting on the waitlist as soon as you can. It can be an expensive proposition if you're not able to plan >12 mo ahead, because it will cost money to book your reservation and more money to cancel your reservation if the dates don't work for you and then more money to make another reservation. Unlike say DVC where all the reservations and cancellations are fee-free.

C. 6 months ahead, both HRC and HPP are able to access both HRC and HPP inventory. This part seems a little unfair to HPP owners, in that we HRC owners haven't paid anything to access HPP whereas they've paid a significant sum.

I don't like this new system but if you happen to be interested in low season at properties with lots of trust inventory, it could be a win for now. For me, I like Carmel in Feb-Mar-Apr so I might do ok for a little while in the new system.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
FWIW: So until the HSH deeded owners give up their week, nobody (HPP or HRC exchangers) has access or priority to HSH - but a totally different story at Windward Pointe as Hyatt dumped all the unsold unit/weeks into the HPP trust, so lots of access for HPP and HRC exchangers there.

Unlike the HRC owner that is guaranteed a specific week/unit, an HPP owner is not guaranteed anything - unfortunately, the HPP owner has a handful of points that are pretty much worthless unless they find a resort that they can exchange into.

Question, so where all of the unsold Windward Pointe weeks Hyatt dumped into HPP lower demand weeks (ie. no diamond weeks)???