• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We spoke to a Hyatt agent when we called the reservation line today and she reassured us that the only benefit for us joining the Portfolio program would be
if we wanted extra points but didn't want a full week. She did not see any impact on reservations even with the wait list. Supposedly Residence Club members can reserve on waitlist at 18 mos and the requests are filled by 1st come first serve regardless if we are HPP or HRC. I asked about Hawaii and she didn't know if it would be in the HPP but didn't think so. She also said Northstar was not in the program because there was not enough inventory where High Sierra was even though they were both in CA where the program is approved. It was a reassuring conversation.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We spoke to a Hyatt agent when we called the reservation line today and she reassured us that the only benefit for us joining the Portfolio program would be
if we wanted extra points but didn't want a full week. She did not see any impact on reservations even with the wait list. Supposedly Residence Club members can reserve on waitlist at 18 mos and the requests are filled by 1st come first serve regardless if we are HPP or HRC. I asked about Hawaii and she didn't know if it would be in the HPP but didn't think so. She also said Northstar was not in the program because there was not enough inventory where High Sierra was even though they were both in CA where the program is approved. It was a reassuring conversation.

High Sierra is in Nevada.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
High Sierra is in Nevada.
Good catch, lol, so poor example. What I was trying to say was that even though a state is approved, there seem to be many other factors that go
into which resorts are included in the program. Northstar is not a part of HPP while I believe Carmel is.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Good catch, lol, so poor example. What I was trying to say was that even though a state is approved, there seem to be many other factors that go
into which resorts are included in the program. Northstar is not a part of HPP while I believe Carmel is.

I need a week anywhere in Incline Village starting June 3, and was just searching when you posted. So the place is on my mind.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, dahntahn, This is consistent with my conversations with Hyatt's owner services people. As has been said throughout this thread, I believe the threat to HRC legacy owners is minimal. Regardless, it certainly behooves all of us to remain vigilant. ILG's creation of this HPP program is a farce, and it's a terrible value f

Did she say whether there is one waitlist for HPP and HRC or are they separate?

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my understanding is that if a current HRC owner wanted access to HPP inventory before the 6 month mark they would need to convert their week? Can a week be converted without buying 660 points? If the answer is no, which i understand it is, this is a double edge sword or catch-22. Buyer beware!? So to get a nice reservation you will need more the 660 points in HPP, which means you would be converting your week every year so your 660 points don't go to waist., or if your willing to wait till the 6th month mark to combine them with out converting. Or take short trips to use the points up. Booooo!

janetdoe

Reaction score
-transfer of incremental to WOH instead of all or nothing
If anyone wants to trade a subset of their HRC points for WOH points, talk to a Hyatt Globalist. Globalists can use the Guest of Honor program to book an award reservation for anyone. You would receive Globalist benefits (upgrade, free parking, waived resort fees, free breakfast, club lounge access) which should give you more value for the points than booking them out of your non- or low-status Hyatt account. Globalists also have access to a limited number of guaranteed suite upgrades each year and may be willing to use one on your reservation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Main Street Station in Breckenridge
Attended an "owners update" at Wild Oak Ranch this week (May 2018). The salesman told us he would give us a 30 minute "owners update" but we got blindsided by an hour+ presentation of the Portfolio program. We had heard about some sort of points system coming on in January of 2017 in Sedona, but had completely forgotten that by now. When we told Wild Oak Ranch person that we didn't need more points (we're 1/20th owners in a 3BR at Breckenridge for a total of 4440 points/year) he tried to sell us the 660 portfolio point program for $13,200. I see a MF $549.12 on my sheet, I assume that's annual maintenance fees.

His final pitch was that he said that soon, we would not be able to trade into other Hyatt properties unless we were in the Portfolio program given Portfolio requests would be on the wait list longer. He claimed that something like 70% of current HRC owners were moving into the portfolio program??!! (He followed that up with 90%+ of Marriott folks had done the same). Given this was the first time I had been hit with the pitch I was not prepared to ask good questions, but here are a few things I'm still fuzzy on after reading all of the great information folks have posted on these forums. Thank you!!

1. Is there any way to know how many HRC owners are remaining with the pure HRC system? Previous posts have indicated that not many HRC owners are adding Portfolio points, but how do we know?
2. Even if an HRC owner buys portfolio points, putting their deeded unit into the portfolio system is an annual decision, correct?
3. Is there any way to know, resort by resort, how many units and weeks are in the HRC vs. Portfolio program?
4. Have we for sure clarified whether a Portfolio request for a property trumps an HRC request for the same CUP inventory assuming that the Portfolio request was placed into the system first?

Again, thank you!!

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Attended an "owners update" at Wild Oak Ranch this week (May 2018). The salesman told us he would give us a 30 minute "owners update" but we got blindsided by an hour+ presentation of the Portfolio program. We had heard about some sort of points system coming on in January of 2017 in Sedona, but had completely forgotten that by now. When we told Wild Oak Ranch person that we didn't need more points (we're 1/20th owners in a 3BR at Breckenridge for a total of 4440 points/year) he tried to sell us the 660 portfolio point program for $13,200. I see a MF $549.12 on my sheet, I assume that's annual maintenance fees.

His final pitch was that he said that soon, we would not be able to trade into other Hyatt properties unless we were in the Portfolio program given Portfolio requests would be on the wait list longer. He claimed that something like 70% of current HRC owners were moving into the portfolio program??!! (He followed that up with 90%+ of Marriott folks had done the same). Given this was the first time I had been hit with the pitch I was not prepared to ask good questions, but here are a few things I'm still fuzzy on after reading all of the great information folks have posted on these forums. Thank you!!

1. Is there any way to know how many HRC owners are remaining with the pure HRC system? Previous posts have indicated that not many HRC owners are adding Portfolio points, but how do we know?
2. Even if an HRC owner buys portfolio points, putting their deeded unit into the portfolio system is an annual decision, correct?
3. Is there any way to know, resort by resort, how many units and weeks are in the HRC vs. Portfolio program?
4. Have we for sure clarified whether a Portfolio request for a property trumps an HRC request for the same CUP inventory assuming that the Portfolio request was placed into the system first?

Again, thank you!!
And we were told last month that 80% of owners were in Portfolio. Something fishy

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score

Again, thank you!!

The salesman claim of "something like 70% of current HRC owners were moving into the portfolio program" is comical! Based on comments from the HRC owners here on TUG and more importantly, the owner update post-mortem conversations with HRC owners around the pool at the various Hyatt properties, the percentage sounds like its under 5%. The less than 5% is based on my personal conversations - would like to hear what other owners are hearing in their pool side post-mortem chats.

1. Is there any way to know how many HRC owners are remaining with the pure HRC system? No, only Hyatt knows that - and if they're saying 70% HRC have converted, they're lying (70% of HRC owners can't even spell HPP). Previous posts have indicated that not many HRC owners are adding Portfolio points, but how do we know? No way to know an exact number - only way is by TUG posts or pool side chats as noted above.

2. Even if an HRC owner buys portfolio points, putting their deeded unit into the portfolio system is an annual decision, correct? Correct - the exception would be an HRC owner who elects to permanently turn in their HRC deed over to Hyatt for HPP points.

3. Is there any way to know, resort by resort, how many units and weeks are in the HRC vs. Portfolio program? For the most part no. That said, Hyatt staff have confirmed only 20+/- weeks in HPP at Sunset Harbor and considerably more at Windward Pointe (expectation is over 3000+ weeks - very few in any units is buildings 7 & 8 at WP were sold as weeks when the Hyatt changed from selling weeks to points - so all unsold WP inventory went into HPP.)

4. Have we for sure clarified whether a Portfolio request for a property trumps an HRC request for the same CUP inventory assuming that the Portfolio request was placed into the system first? Yes/No. There's been a lot of discussion on the topic here on TUG and its been split as to what realty is - that said, my vote is Yes.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Again, thank you!!

My guess is the sales person has resorted to fear tactics in order to induce a sale. Sad to see (or hear). Also a guess, the sales team is receiving pressure from management to resort to these tactics because the HPP is under performing expectations.

1. No way for us to know for sure. If the TUG members are representative of the general public, I would guess that HRC buy in to HPP is under 5%.
2. Yes, my understanding is it is an annual decision. Because Hyatt has put so little official information out re HPP, early on it was thought that an owner might have to hand over their deed. After more info came out, we know know that the owner keeps their deed and decides every year if they are going to use their owned unit in HPP.
3. We know which resorts are and are not currently in HPP. We do not know number of unit / weeks in each program.
4. Regarding wait lists, my understanding is first come first served. For example, if an HRC owner puts in a request at five months out and a HPP owner puts in a request for the same thing at three months out, the HRC owner would have priority for the request.

One other thing, now that Marriott owns II who owns Hyatt, no one really knows for sure what changes Marriott may impose down the road.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
The salesman claim of "something like 70% of current HRC owners were moving into the portfolio program" is comical! Based on comments from the HRC owners here on TUG and more importantly, the owner update post-mortem conversations with HRC owners around the pool at the various Hyatt properties, the percentage sounds like its under 5%. The less than 5% is based on my personal conversations - would like to hear what other owners are hearing in their pool side post-mortem chats.

1. Is there any way to know how many HRC owners are remaining with the pure HRC system? No, only Hyatt knows that - and if they're saying 70% HRC have converted, they're lying (70% of HRC owners can't even spell HPP). Previous posts have indicated that not many HRC owners are adding Portfolio points, but how do we know? No way to know an exact number - only way is by TUG posts or pool side chats as noted above.

2. Even if an HRC owner buys portfolio points, putting their deeded unit into the portfolio system is an annual decision, correct? Correct - the exception would be an HRC owner who elects to permanently turn in their HRC deed over to Hyatt for HPP points.

3. Is there any way to know, resort by resort, how many units and weeks are in the HRC vs. Portfolio program? For the most part no. That said, Hyatt staff have confirmed only 20+/- weeks in HPP at Sunset Harbor and considerably more at Windward Pointe (expectation is over 3000+ weeks - very few in any units is buildings 7 & 8 at WP were sold as weeks when the Hyatt changed from selling weeks to points - so all unsold WP inventory went into HPP.)

4. Have we for sure clarified whether a Portfolio request for a property trumps an HRC request for the same CUP inventory assuming that the Portfolio request was placed into the system first? Yes/No. There's been a lot of discussion on the topic here on TUG and its been split as to what realty is - that said, my vote is Yes.

That's funny bdh, I had not seen your post when I typed mine out, and we both came up with >5% conversion from HRC to HPP.

Reactions: bdh

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At an owners update it wss clarified that Hyatt club owners have priority in Club inventory and Portfolii members have priority in portfolio inventory . Of course if you convert you have priority in club also. That would be where wait list comes in.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Main Street Station in Breckenridge
Thanks for all of the great insights. One of the biggest issues of being an original Breckenridge owner is that we already have two pools of points to manage...our fixed week and our floating 10 days. So managing the time frames for the different buckets of points are complicated already. And now they want me to layer on an yet another completely different point system?? And they say this is supposed to make everything easier and more flexible? What would be easier and more flexible is if they would buy back my unit for what I paid for it. 70% of us might take that deal!!

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great insights. One of the biggest issues of being an original Breckenridge owner is that we already have two pools of points to manage...our fixed week and our floating 10 days. So managing the time frames for the different buckets of points are complicated already. And now they want me to layer on an yet another completely different point system?? And they say this is supposed to make everything easier and more flexible? What would be easier and more flexible is if they would buy back my unit for what I paid for it. 70% of us might take that deal!!
As always, Hyatt would never pay "retail" for an HRC unit. They have a very high overhead plus the required profit margin on the deal. My rule-of-thumb is they would never pay more than 25-30% of the current Hyatt sales price of the unit. Of course they don't sell weeks any longer so their formula is rolled into the "HPP Retail Value" (whatever that means).

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants to trade a subset of their HRC points for WOH points, talk to a Hyatt Globalist. Globalists can use the Guest of Honor program to book an award reservation for anyone. You would receive Globalist benefits (upgrade, free parking, waived resort fees, free breakfast, club lounge access) which should give you more value for the points than booking them out of your non- or low-status Hyatt account. Globalists also have access to a limited number of guaranteed suite upgrades each year and may be willing to use one on your reservation.

Do you know if the WOH point option is available for owners who purchased Hyatt weeks in the resale market? Or is this only for owners who purchased weeks directly from Hyatt?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Do not buy any HPP points right now.

As you know, the Colorado ski week properties are upscale and are walk to lifts which make them very attractive. So, ownership has real value if you are a skiing family (although the maintenance fees are quite high). Given that Marriott Vacation Club (MVC) is buying ILG (which owns they Hyatt Residence Club), there could be multiple changes in a couple years time that affect you both positively or negatively. So, you don't want to buy into HPP until you know for sure what the merger will do to the value of legacy week ownership as well as to the new HPP program.

Given the attractiveness of ski weeks in the HRC program, I speculate that MVC may offer low cost options to the owners of legacy HRC weeks to enroll your weeks into some future program that may give you access to all the Marriott resorts. That could be a nice way to use your floating 10 days while still using your ski week. So, I recommend sitting tight and enjoy using your week until we all learn more.

fyi - I ski at Breck every year. I seriously considered buying a 3BR at the Breck Hyatt but I just didn't feel comfortable with the size of the maintenance fee. Nice resort though.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the WOH point option is available for owners who purchased Hyatt weeks in the resale market? Or is this only for owners who purchased weeks directly from Hyatt?

Only to direct purchase from Hyatt. It's a bad value though. If you need WoH points, just buy them from Hyatt during one of their sales. They sent me an email last week with a 40% off sale till the end of the month.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
fyi - I ski at Breck every year. I seriously considered buying a 3BR at the Breck Hyatt but I just didn't feel comfortable with the size of the maintenance fee. Nice resort though.

Curious to know if you looked at HGVC Valdoro for Breckinridge? If so, what did you think?

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to Kannapali presentation yesterday. The sales rep (who has been with Hyatt many years) had never heard of PPP. He said they only sell deeded weeks here, and the resort is about 57% sold.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not buy any HPP points right now.

As you know, the Colorado ski week properties are upscale and are walk to lifts which make them very attractive. So, ownership has real value if you are a skiing family (although the maintenance fees are quite high). Given that Marriott Vacation Club (MVC) is buying ILG (which owns they Hyatt Residence Club), there could be multiple changes in a couple years time that affect you both positively or negatively. So, you don't want to buy into HPP until you know for sure what the merger will do to the value of legacy week ownership as well as to the new HPP program.

Given the attractiveness of ski weeks in the HRC program, I speculate that MVC may offer low cost options to the owners of legacy HRC weeks to enroll your weeks into some future program that may give you access to all the Marriott resorts. That could be a nice way to use your floating 10 days while still using your ski week. So, I recommend sitting tight and enjoy using your week until we all learn more.

I agree with this. Would hold off to see what MVC does. My guess is PPP is either history or will be drastically changed. It was ill conceived from the start. MVC is a class act, and I feel fairly certain thet will straighten this fiasco out.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to Kannapali presentation yesterday. The sales rep (who has been with Hyatt many years) had never heard of PPP. He said they only sell deeded weeks here, and the resort is about 57% sold.

Hawaii is not currently in the HPP.