• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt Portfolio Points Program

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am aware of this, but very interesting that a long-time Hyatt rep has never heard of PPP.

My guess is he was lying. Maybe to keep the discussion on track to sell you on the Hawaii property?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
No way to tell, but I didn't get that impression; he was very low key/pressure. BTW, my guess is he has a pretty easy job; this resort is gorgeous, possibly the nicest on Maui.
We will be there soon. Curious what the incentives were for the presentation. How long was it? Nice to hear it was low key. It would be a great place to own but the Wetin Villas are so much more affordable.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious to know if you looked at HGVC Valdoro for Breckinridge? If so, what did you think?
I've not checked out Valdoro because they are not in II. The best along with the most convenient ski-in/out locations at Breck are Grand Lodge at Peak 7 and Grand Lodge at Peak 8. Both have reasonable MFs. Unfortunately, I will not buy floating ski season weeks and I could never find a resale fixed week at those locations for the specific time period I was looking for

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We will be there soon. Curious what the incentives were for the presentation. How long was it? Nice to hear it was low key. It would be a great place to own but the Wetin Villas are so much more affordable.

We stayed at the maui residence club in April and they offered 10,000 points or $100, we passed. We did it the first time we stayed in 2016 and it lasted about 15 minutes and was pretty painless.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score

We got $150. It was about an hour. We stayed at Westin Nanea first and are now at HKB. Previously have stayed at WKORV. Hyatt is head and shoulders nicer than either of the Westins on so many levels. The resort has a very exclusive 'feel'. Service here was impeccable. The Hyatt Regency, along with nice shops, is a huge plus. All 2 BR units are oceanfront. Units are more luxurious and the resort is much less crowded. Since Nanea was added, the area around the Westins is very crowded. The beach area around HKB is also nicer. My guess is HKB may be one of, if not the nicest TSs in Maui. We enjoyed our time here so much we are considering buying.

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
We stayed in a 1 BR unit recently but didn't take a tour this year. Do they show the 1 and 3 BR condos still too or only the 2 BR condos?

We like the Marriott too but not so much the small balconies at the newer towers but the oceanfront view is much better, IMO. We decided not to take an update there either.

I was surprised to read that the HRC in Ka'anapali is only 57% sold out.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in a 1 BR unit recently but didn't take a tour this year. Do they show the 1 and 3 BR condos still too or only the 2 BR condos?

We like the Marriott too but not so much the small balconies at the newer towers but the oceanfront view is much better, IMO. We decided not to take an update there either.

I was surprised to read that the HRC in Ka'anapali is only 57% sold out.

We were not required to take a tour.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just called to set up a presentation as I want a tour and we wanted to do one before our children started arriving. We signed up for the 15,000 Hyatt points but there are lots of options of activities too.
I agree with Liz ,this is one I wouldn't mind owning.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just called to set up a presentation as I want a tour and we wanted to do one before our children started arriving. We signed up for the 15,000 Hyatt points but there are lots of options of activities too.
I agree with Liz ,this is one I wouldn't mind owning.

This is an amazing resort. Very few weeks will be in PPP. As more units are sold, I suspect it will be harder and harder to get using points. Most owners will use or rent.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an amazing resort. Very few weeks will be in PPP. As more units are sold, I suspect it will be harder and harder to get using points. Most owners will use or rent.

This property is not in the HPP, so no points are there (or do you mean the possibility of them being there in the future because of the Marriott purchase?). It seems like the units I have seen on the internal trades are mostly <30-60 days out, which makes me think they are only there because of schedule issues by the owner at the last minute. The rest, like you say are either used by the owner or rented.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This property is not in the HPP, so no points are there (or do you mean the possibility of them being there in the future because of the Marriott purchase?). It seems like the units I have seen on the internal trades are mostly <30-60 days out, which makes me think they are only there because of schedule issues by the owner at the last minute. The rest, like you say are either used by the owner or rented.
We seem to get in each year 6 months out and I have been seeing inventory , some Nov dates were there this weekend. Very rare to see middle of the summer or prime winter months though. But the majority of inventory is 30 to 60 days.

bdbrecheen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Coconut Plantation
We are currently at the property Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs. On Monday, we attended an owners meeting with Rey, the property manager. He said a few interesting things during that meeting that caught my attention. First, he talked about ILG recently being acquired by Marriott. He stated that as of right now things were to remain business as usual as far as Hyatt properties were concerned. Regarding PPP, he asked if there were any owners in the room that had decided to participate in the portfolio program and no one raise their hand, he stated how surprised he was. He went on to say that people who participate in the program we're going to be given preferential treatment in regards to reservations and that it was going to become more difficult to book vacations. I'm not sure how that could be possible if they're keeping legacy separate from PPP. He briefly touched on owners being able to deposit their points on a year-to-year basis but stated that would be taken up and addressed by the sales team. Curiosity was getting the best of me so we have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the sales staff "enlighten us" as to "the truth" about the program. We were told that the information we were getting was not correct. I have no idea how they would even know what the information is that I have received. Anyone on here that would like to suggest some questions that I should present to the salesman tomorrow morning? I have no intention of participating in the program since we currently own at two properties. I would like to make him squirm a little bit so I'm open to all suggestions.

Cropman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like Kal’s suggestions. Ask him to show you how many popular weeks are available in the program that day. In other words, week 7, 51, 52 at any resorts. Weeks 5-13 in Florida. Ski weeks. Etc. Tell him you would really like to go to Hawaii in the winter. (Oh yeah, that’s not in the program.) Depends on how much you want to make him squirm.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
He asked if there were any owners in the room that had decided to participate in the portfolio program and no one raise their hand, he stated how surprised he was. He went on to say that people who participate in the program we're going to be given preferential treatment in regards to reservations and that it was going to become more difficult to book vacations. I'm not sure how that could be possible if they're keeping legacy separate from PPP.

1. Based on HPP sales at Coconut Plantation, what percentage of HRC owners doing the owner update are buying HPP? Ask for a percentage number. If he says an actual number in lieu of "Ohh, a lot", it will be interesting to hear the answer.

2. Exactly how will HPP owners be given preferential reservation treatment to HRC units? Only preferential advantage HPP has is immediate access to HPP units, while HRC has to wait 6 months for access to HPP units. When it comes to HRC units, both HPP and HRC owners have identical request start date access, so neither one has a preferential advantage based on the type of ownership.

3. Exactly how will it become more difficult to book vacations? No doubt HPP will have exclusive access to newly built HPP buildings and properties - however, every current HPP Trust location already has HRC units (so no difficulty there for HRC owners). Inversely, there are not HPP units at every HRC property - so HPP access at the non-HPP properties is simply request start date. Until a HRC owner releases their deeded week, neither HPP or other HRC owners have access to a HRPP week - so the initial upper hand is clearly with the deeded week owner (after HRPP period ends, then access to the reservation confirmation is simply request start date based).

4. While there are two separate types of ownership (HPP and HRC), are there two separate wait lists for HRC units? Current TUG opinion is split - but I'm betting that there is only one list.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently at the property Coconut Plantation in Bonita Springs. On Monday, we attended an owners meeting with Rey, the property manager. He said a few interesting things during that meeting that caught my attention. First, he talked about ILG recently being acquired by Marriott. He stated that as of right now things were to remain business as usual as far as Hyatt properties were concerned. Regarding PPP, he asked if there were any owners in the room that had decided to participate in the portfolio program and no one raise their hand, he stated how surprised he was. He went on to say that people who participate in the program we're going to be given preferential treatment in regards to reservations and that it was going to become more difficult to book vacations. I'm not sure how that could be possible if they're keeping legacy separate from PPP. He briefly touched on owners being able to deposit their points on a year-to-year basis but stated that would be taken up and addressed by the sales team. Curiosity was getting the best of me so we have an appointment tomorrow morning to have the sales staff "enlighten us" as to "the truth" about the program. We were told that the information we were getting was not correct. I have no idea how they would even know what the information is that I have received. Anyone on here that would like to suggest some questions that I should present to the salesman tomorrow morning? I have no intention of participating in the program since we currently own at two properties. I would like to make him squirm a little bit so I'm open to all suggestions.

This guy has NO idea what Marriott is going to do. He needed to say no more. He did himself in with this statement. One thing I'm pretty sure of is Marriott is going to modify things, including PPP (which was a disaster from the start).

bdbrecheen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like Kal’s suggestions. Ask him to show you how many popular weeks are available in the program that day. In other words, week 7, 51, 52 at any resorts. Weeks 5-13 in Florida. Ski weeks. Etc. Tell him you would really like to go to Hawaii in the winter. (Oh yeah, that’s not in the program.) Depends on how much you want to make him squirm.
Thank you cropman for your response. I will definitely pose these questions.

bdbrecheen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This guy has NO idea what Marriott is going to do. He needed to say no more. He did himself in with this statement. One thing I'm pretty sure of is Marriott is going to modify things, including PPP (which was a disaster from the start).
I will definitely question him on this issue. I'm sure the acquisition is going to put a kink in the program. From a legal standpoint, I would like to know if there is any protection as a legacy owner as to what can legally be done regarding our ownership and the original program we bought in to.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure Marriott knows exactly what they are going to do, or specifically how they are going to impliment it yet with regards to Hyatt. I think they have a general idea written into a business plan, but it's just one small piece of this massive purchase that will be subject to changes. No way in the world this guy knows what they are going to do. We know Marriott likes the point system (ie DC Points) far more than a weeks system. They have said as much in share holder meetings. My guess is they are going to make it very appealing for weeks owners to come over to some kind of points system, whether that is HPP or some form of super points overlay that has been discussed in other threads. As for HPP owners, well, you are already in the points system, and thank you for paying higher maintenance fees than many weeks owners.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I bought into the HPP at a minimum of $13K for a small handful of points, I would be very nervous about Marriott. Marriott's move into the points system was at a significantly lower price point (maybe <$1K). If Marriott changes the HPP buy in to something comparable, the original HPP buyers should not be very pleased. It would be difficult to walk away from $13K on the table vs some cash value considerably lower.

It's all in the end game where an owner wants to divest. You can sell a week and get a return. Selling points could be extremely difficult as there would only be Hyatt as the buyer. IMHO, there's no way Hyatt will buy back points at "retail pricing" if at all. Is there any incentive for Hyatt to buy back points and see an owner walk?

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will definitely question him on this issue. I'm sure the acquisition is going to put a kink in the program. From a legal standpoint, I would like to know if there is any protection as a legacy owner as to what can legally be done regarding our ownership and the original program we bought in to.

The program that you bought guarantees your week in a specific unit via your deed - no points program can change that and your deed is more than adequste legal protection of your week/unit.

The ability to exchange your week, your unit within the Hyatt system is a benefit that is not guaranteed. And Marriott/Hyatt would be crazy to eliminate the exchange option.

bdbrecheen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I was there for 3 hours. The salesman, Berton Spivy, a long time employee of Hyatt, was the lucky recipient of my barrage of questioning. He handled everything I threw at him with a calm demeanor and professionalism. Now, here are the answers to my questions.
He stated that 85% of legacy owners do not use their deeded weeks. He decided to drive that point home by telling me they had looked at my usage. He said I never used my deeded week at either property I own at and I stayed at a HRC Property 33 times since I became an owner. He further stated that 98% of current owners are not selling off their legacy units, but they are buying into the portfolio points program to give them more flexibility. He said that 30% of the current owners that are previewing the program currently buy into it. In the month of May, they have only seen three legacy owners completely convert to the portfolio program and give up their deeded weeks permanently.
When I questioned him about availability at the different resorts, he stated that the way the program is structured, there is availability at every one of them, including Hawaii. When I asked him how that was possible he stated the following. Portfolio members will be allowed to access our inventory( HRC) six months in advance just like we are. In addition, they will be allowed to access properties within PP one year In advance. I was further told there is not two waiting list, only one. There are nine properties with approximately 300 units/weeks that went into PP inventory. Currently there are no units that have been deposited from Breckenridge, Hawaii, Siesta Keys, or Beavercreek. However, he insists that the inventory will still be available for Portfolio members. When I told him I already had access to all of those resorts his rebuttal was there are "more locations" that will be opening up for the PP program. When I asked him to name somewhere he could not. He said they were just looking at the history of how Marriott works. He further indicated that some of the other benefits would be no booking fees and Three years to use your points without expiring. He also made it a point to tell me they're only 44,000 owners in the HRC program. he said portfolio will more than double that number.
They also told me that if I would buy into the portfolio program, my unit that I bought from a realtor would now become eligible to convert my points into world of Hyatt if I desired. The conversion rate is one point equals 43 World of Hyatt points. He states this is the only way that a resale unit can be granted that.
This is the points that we were offered. $20,000 would buy us 1000 points with the yearly fee of $830 for maintenance. I was told, that I didn't need that many points and they can offer me the following options. 660 Point is the least amount they sell and it is $13,200. Next is 780 points and it is $15,600 last one is 880 points and it is $17,600. They will offer a bonus of World of Hyatt points with the last two. 50,000 and 75,000 respectively.
There is also an executive portfolio program for members with 2201 to 4399 portfolio points. The priority access reservation window is open from 12 months to six months prior to arrival. Reservations made he made up to one day prior to arrival. You can confirm a specific unit, Floor level or view for an additional 75 portfolio points at time of booking. You can request reservations up to 18 months prior to arrival using your portfolio points to access Hyatt residence club resort inventory. I will take a picture and upload that information. So, clearly they are being told they can access our inventory.
I was not convinced to buy into this new program as all it did was seem to make me question what the next tactic would be to get me to ante up more money. I would be interested in hearing what some of you are intending to do. Thanks for listening folks!
IMG_5903.JPG

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
. He further stated that 98% of current owners are not selling off their legacy units, but they are buying into the portfolio points program to give them more flexibility. He said that 30% of the current owners that are previewing the program currently buy into it.

I hear 78.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot, and the 98.9% of time share sales speak is BS.

All that being said, thank you for posting this. I think it is important for us to see, write, and communicate about what Hyatt is telling the owners.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
... There are nine properties with approximately 300 units/weeks that went into PP inventory. Currently there are no units that have been deposited from Breckenridge, Hawaii, Siesta Keys, or Beavercreek...
I'm not sure if he is saying there are 300 unit-weeks from EACH property, or 300 total. We can do some arithmetic on this:
Let's assume there are 80 units per resort and 50 weeks per year. That equals 4,000 unit-weeks for each resort or for 9 resorts the number is 36,000 unit-weeks. Now with his number of 300 unit-weeks for each property that's 7% in the HPP. For all 9 resorts, that number is 0.8% in the HPP.

In the case of Sunset Harbor (February 2018) there were 20 unit-weeks in the HPP. And this is the basis to buy in???? It doesn't even pass the sniff test.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
...He further stated that 98% of current owners are not selling off their legacy units, but they are buying into the portfolio points program to give them more flexibility.
Hmmm, 98% of legacy owners are buying into the HPP. That really would cause a case of intestinal blockage requiring immediate departure from the pitch.