• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I’m not sure what they’re doing to the TV service, but it’s not good

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
We arrived at Ocean Pointe on Thursday. We were told they were upgrading their TV’s so we could stream Netflix. Internet TV now shows up with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube,Crackle, Pandora and Bluetooth with a disclaimer “clear personal credentials from all applications”. At first I thought this is a nice option for those who subscribe to these services but, we don’t so no big deal for us.

What I don’t like is the current tv service. There has been a LOT of pixelating and ghosting. Just now the screen went completely blank as the rain started and cleared back up a few minutes later. This is making it a little difficult to watch TV. Actually, it’s making it agrrivating and considering the fee’s I pay Marriott.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this new television service via satellite? This may explain when it started to rain the television service when blank and there was a lot of pixelation plus ghosting.

Good luck and please try to enjoy your vacation.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Is this new television service via satellite? This may explain when it started to rain the television service when blank and there was a lot of pixelation plus ghosting.

Good luck and please try to enjoy your vacation.

I don’t know, but if the service is junk on a rainy day, what good is it?

It was pixiliating when I was watching a little of Thursday night football and the only interference then would have been wind. I wasn’t to impressed that they appear to be using Best Buy’s Geek Squad for instillation (I saw a few Geek Squad shirts in the hallways so I’m making an assumption here)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We arrived at Ocean Pointe on Thursday. We were told they were upgrading their TV’s so we could stream Netflix. Internet TV now shows up with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube,Crackle, Pandora and Bluetooth with a disclaimer “clear personal credentials from all applications”. At first I thought this is a nice option for those who subscribe to these services but, we don’t so no big deal for us.

What I don’t like is the current tv service. There has been a LOT of pixelating and ghosting. Just now the screen went completely blank as the rain started and cleared back up a few minutes later. This is making it a little difficult to watch TV. Actually, it’s making it agrrivating and considering the fee’s I pay Marriott.
I don't see how upgrading to smart tvs could affect the programming service. They are unrelated. People using netflix, hulu, etc are not using the programming service (cable, directv, etc) at all.

However, if they changed to a service that shares bandwidth with the internet connection, the increase of use of netflix etc, could affect the service. Hard to know without the specific services provided, and changes made.

jd2601

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
i enjoy the internet TV allowing to sign onto Hulu, Netflix, etc. The system is supposed to sign out when you check out of your room.

It is convenient and easier then trying to hook up Roku. We frequently are trying to hook up our Fire TV to an HDMI port at MVCI. Most full service Marriott hotels currently have this and I usually do not have as many issues with buffering as an external streaming device.

Satellite has issues with rain. Unfortunately rain is probably the time you watch TV at Ocean Pointe! Hope TV and weather cooperate for your visit.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
If we subscribed to Netflix or Hulu, it would be great. Unfortunately we recently cancelled both due to lack of content we wanted to watch.

For us, the Roku would still be better because of the shear number of streaming channels. Right now we’ve been using CBS all access, streaming NBC AND ABC, The CW, Amazon Prime and Sling TV. None of these are options with the current MVC set up.

It’s not the worst thing to ever happen but it is frustrating if your trying to watch a program and it’s more or less like the 1970’s and trying to get the rabbit ears in just the right position to watch tv.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
If we subscribed to Netflix or Hulu, it would be great. Unfortunately we recently cancelled both due to lack of content we wanted to watch.

For us, the Roku would still be better because of the shear number of streaming channels. Right now we’ve been using CBS all access, streaming NBC AND ABC, The CW, Amazon Prime and Sling TV. None of these are options with the current MVC set up.

It’s not the worst thing to ever happen but it is frustrating if your trying to watch a program and it’s more or less like the 1970’s and trying to get the rabbit ears in just the right position to watch tv.
Can you tell from the guide who the service provider is, ie. directv, cable, uverse, etc.?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet you it is directtv. It is good when the atmospheric condition are good and when there are no tall trees around your home. When it rain or there is a heavy rain or hurricane you forget watching television.

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Even on a sunny day like today, the TV is still pixelating, although not as much. I’m all for saving a little money but, unreliable tv service probably isn’t the best place to try to save. I can only imagine the potential complaints during the rainy season.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I bet you it is directtv. It is good when the atmospheric condition are good and when there are no tall trees around your home. When it rain or there a heavy rain or hurricane you forget watching television.
Only experienced remnants of hurricanes here in San Diego, but never have had issues with DirecTV. Has always been better picture than Cox, tw, or uverse, even during tstorms, hail, etc.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Even on a sunny day like today, the TV is still pixelating, although not as much. I’m all for saving a little money but, unreliable tv service probably isn’t the best place to try to save. I can only imagine the potential complaints during the rainy season.
Did you figure out the provider? Sounds like something is definitely wrong.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly familiar with DirecTV use both on a personal and commercial account basis and can assure you that there something pretty wrong with your installation. Generally, the quality of the TV picture is better than any cable signal. Rain can interfere but not that consistently, usually it is rain with the signal coming through trees that are in leaf. I was watching TV during terrible rainstorms here at BPT a few days ago with no problem whatever.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We bring our Apple TVs to hook up. It takes a call to the “help desk” to get them on the WiFi network but allows us to watch what we want.

We subscribe to YouTube TV, Netflix amazon video, etc. With YouTube TV we have a cloud dvr so just like home.

It alleviates the need to log in on their TVs.

Since everything is streamed, weather is not an issue.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps the system they are using is really just streaming all the channels to each room. So when the rain picked up more people started watching TV which put a strain on the system. It perhaps wasn't the rain interfering with the satelite at all. I would expect a commercial installation of DirecTV to rarely if ever have any issues with signal strength. Not sure that they use the same type of equipment that they use for residential installations. It may take them a while to work out the kinks of a new system, so it may just take some times to get everything tweaked just right.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
They told us it was an old splitter that needed to be replaced when they upgraded the system (why wouldn’t you replace them at the time of upgrade and avoid the problem all together?). They replaced it. It’s not any better. I’ll tell them at check out as I don’t like waiting for maintenance to come and fix something.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We reside in a very small community about twenty (20) homes. Eight (8) of those homes had Direct Tv and all have dropped Direct Tv. Problem: Poor reception, and no reception when it rain or snowed . Direct Tv blamed it on our tall trees surrounding our community.

Direct Tv tech try everything to fix the problem. I was impressed.

At one point in their service we could not receive all our local channels.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
All I know is, whatever they’ve done, I’m not impressed.

Personally I’ve always stayed away from Direct TV based on the opinions of friends who have had it or still have it. My FIL had either it or something similar but kept basic cable as back up. To a person the big complaint has been deception with any weather

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s direct tv
When I was there Halloween weekend my main tv reception was terrible. It cut out right when there was a tornado warning in the area. I called maintenance the next day and they made some adjustments to fix it. I assumed it was due to the problems caused by Irma and that my villa had just been brought online.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We are here at Lakeshore. At the owner meeting with James the GM, he said that they had directv and have now switched to standard cable.

They still have Directv in the bar area for the MFL Sunday Ticket.

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll try out this TV thing in a couple weeks. To comment on a couple issues raised here: DirecTV service is pretty resistant to most weather. I had it for a couple years. Big T-storm clouds in the direction of the satellite knock it out. Wind, snow and rain not much effect. I suspect the problem is with the distribution of the DirecTV signal at the resort, not the signal from the satellite to the local antenna. Smart TV is something of interest as to how it may affect other internet service. You can't use Netflix on a plane for a reason (although Netflix is probably better at adjusting the bandwidth it uses than other streaming services). If these are really smart TV's, maybe they are capable of MiraCast (or whatever the trade name the TV vendor uses) from a phone or laptop. I'll try that, unless someone else can first (or already has). I am a cord-cutter and stream live TV at home using PlayStation Vue (also tried Hulu Live but the interface is impossible). It may be the way of the future, but it does require a ton of WiFi bandwidth (and cable internet speed).

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Manor Club in Williamsburg, Virginia still have Direct TV with no problems as 12.24.2017.