• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I guess I'm confused...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Hey TUGgers,
Hope everyone is gearing up for or already have a great 2019.
I guess I'm confused on why it's recommended that people be prepared to plan a year in advance when getting into the Timeshare/Vacation Ownership game???
I can book a number of 2BR units in Orlando this July still at gold crown resorts.
I have a ridiculous number of choices in Vegas from now till the end of 2019.
Branson, is actually kind of full for June and July of '19 but there are still good options.
Cancun, Hawaii, San Diego, pretty much anywhere with the size unit I want with great accomodations inside of 6 months. With the exception of Colorado ski areas it doesn't seem to be even close to necessary to book that far out.
In late April of '18 we got a gold crown resort on HHI that was booked in November or December of '17.
IDK, maybe my tastes are too simple but I even looked at several travel websites top ten places in the world to vacation and there are plenty of options still at 6 months out.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Orlando, Branson, Mexico and Las Vegas all have more supply than demand, so they are usually easy exchanges. But if you are trying to trade into the top tier resorts, during high season, in places like Maui, its far more difficult to exchange.

If you are very flexible, and can travel last minute, year-round, then it's easier to exchange, but many people are locked into the school schedule, or have to put in for vacations from work months in advance, so they don't have that kind of flexibility.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It depends on where you want to go. It is all a supply and demand problem.

Orlando. Way easy, as location overall is over built. Only difficult times are most Holiday weeks (Easter, July 4th, Christmas, NYE) and March break weeks.

Vegas, same thing now getting overbuilt, not as bad as Orlando, but still. 15 years ago vegas did not have a lot of timeshares it has some now, so supply has dramatically gone up. New Years Eve in Vegas is hard to get, but the rest are ok, summer is especially wide open as it is too darn hot.

Some demand is seasonal, some is not.

Right now hard to get summer will be Mrytle beach, Florida beaches, California. Anything in northern locations always get booked up during the short summer season. Try to get South Florida in Jan to April is near impossible except at Palm-Aire. Hawaii Big Island always has more availability than Oahu, and that is likely all year. You can usually find something in Kauai at the resort with higher point values like Bali Hai.

So some school breaks, holidays, summer vacations at certain locations require planning in advance and even ARP. Other places are much better suited for more last minute bookings.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Orlando, Branson, Mexico and Las Vegas all have more supply than demand, so they are usually easy exchanges. But if you are trying to trade into the top tier resorts, during high season, in places like Maui, its far more difficult to exchange.

If you are very flexible, and can travel last minute, year-round, then it's easier to exchange, but many people are locked into the school schedule, or have to put in for vacations from work months in advance, so they don't have that kind of flexibility.
I've gotta deal with both of those issues as I'm only 31. But I don't have any issues booking those kind of places 6 months out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So you can book the Marriott or Westin on Maui during July, at 6 months out?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Haven't looked much at Hawaii because airfare for 4 is insane from the Midwest. And I can't check that now as we're inside 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The high season dates at the top tier resorts are the hardest ones to exchange into, and that's why many Tuggers put in an ongoing search, 12 mos. or more in advance.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Haven't belonged to RCI for many years, but when we did I would deposit our floating weeks- many which were "white" weeks- two years in advance and put in an ongoing search immediately. These were off season weeks we were exchanging for prime season weeks because our son was in school. Always got a location we wanted- but not all necessarily Gold Crown Resorts (which is what we owned). And we did not always necessarily get a two bedroom unit (which is what we owned) but sometimes a one bedroom. But we mostly were able to score a 2 bedroom. It depended on the demand at the resort. Most times we were flexible about exact dates, but not always.

Tazzik

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple really. If the place you want to book has lots of availability at 6 months out or less, you can wait until then to book it. If it fills up faster, you need to book it earlier. There's lots of places that I've stayed at which fit both categories. Orlando is the easiest place to get, and I can often find a room I would be content with at very short notice. However, I'll still usually book those around 6 months out, just to make sure I get exactly what I want.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can book at less than a year in many places. I started 6 months ago to book for my son's wedding and honeymoon in Hawaii. I have managed to book 7 weeks....4 on Oahu, one on Maui and 2 on Kauai.

Oahu was the most difficult and the weeks I got were at Sweetwater and RAVC. OK resorts but the first time I have seen a Marriott for Oahu (and I have checked multiple times per day) was today for check-in, today in an efficiency unit.

Same thing for Maui...I have them Booked at Kahana Beach Vacation Club,,,which is oceanfront and will be fine for them....but I have not seen one Marriott or Westin.

Kauai, I have nice resorts, Point at Poipu and Hanalei Bay...again the first Marriott I have seen was today for check-in on the 19th.

So that is the point Denise is making....you can probably find something but it may not be at the top resort or the size you want without booking a year or more out. What I have grabbed are basically the leftovers.