• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I need 200K MR points [Lifetime MR status - MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another wrinkle, and it may have been covered already (sorry:shrug:),but will the Chairman's Club MVCI Elite Level still equate to Platinum Elite---soon to be Marriott Platinum Premier Elite Status??

We can only speculate that it SHOULD translate to Platinum Premier Elite status but as far as I know there is no official word yet.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG.

This is the most important statement, but it doesn't mention grandfathering thresholds for points, only stays. Thoughts?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott takes their time to deposit the points, which is independent of whether you prepay MF or not. I have been putting in my MRP conversion in March but they will only show up around Oct. But timing should not be a problem as you have until year end to achieve the current Lifetime Gold Elite.

I am in a similar boat. I have 2M points but short on nights. By Dec 31st, I have been tracking to 498 nights. We just took out our Marriott Visa and plan to put 6K spending on it for the next couple of months to get the 2 nights.

Couldn't you just burn 15K points for 2 nights at a Cat 1 hotel?

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please see my new thread New Chase Bank Marriott credit card . Sign up bonus is 100,000 points. My thread is in this Marriott forum. And yes, the purchase of 50,000 points directly from Marriott count towards lifetime.

Thank you, Yes, I'm aware of purchasing the 50K, as I have done it before. I've also transferred 50K from wife's account before.
I wouldn't have enough time to wait 60 days, get that particular new Marriott card, reach the spending limit, and have points post before the end of July.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the most important statement, but it doesn't mention grandfathering thresholds for points, only stays. Thoughts?
Because whoever wrote this forgot that current Marriott Elite status as a points component, probably written by a SPG employee.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Seeing talk about cancelling current Marriott card, wait 60 days, and reapply for new one with 100K bonus. No details yet, but worth watching for.

For current MR Chase card holders, there is speculation that there will be a bonus points incentive to upgrade to the new Chase MR card when it debuts (instead of having the account get closed). Hope the bonus is substantial. The new card holder application is supposed to be 100k. Would be nice to see at least a 50k bonus offer for current account holders to upgrade.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Assuming the new Platinum is equal to the old Gold status. Looks like perks are equal.

I am currently a little short of reaching Marriott LT Gold with about 600 nights but only 1.4mil LT points. I was planning on reaching LT Gold next January by turning 2 timeshares into MR Points. Question now is will I achieve LT Gold or LT Platinum at the end of the year? Or neither?

Any suggestions on getting the 200K MR Points before August?
I have a Marriott Rewards Premier card currently. - Good. Look for a bonus offer to upgrade to the new MR card when it rolls out. The amount of bonus points is TBA.
I think I can purchase 50K MR points and maybe due the same for my wife and roll them over. Will they count? - I believe purchased MR points will count.
Can I purchase points in SPG and roll over or purchase and hope they automatically combine in August? - You can purchase and leave in your SPG account. When balances are combined they will multiply 3:1. Your combined points totals determine lifetime status.
Can I close my Chase card now and reapply? How long in between? Yes, but if you do I would wait until the new card rolls out.
Can I convert timeshares now and hope the MR points show up soon? I've never done it this early and thought the MR points won't be there until January anyway. Yes, you can.

Remember, you have until 12/31/18 to accumulate nights/points toward lifetime status.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For current MR Chase card holders, there is speculation that there will be a bonus points incentive to upgrade to the new Chase MR card when it debuts (instead of having the account get closed). Hope the bonus is substantial. The new card holder application is supposed to be 100k. Would be nice to see at least a 50k bonus offer for current account holders to upgrade.
I need the 15 nights bonus on my card anniversary in June to get me to the finish line of 500 nights for Marriott Lifetime Gold. I hope they don't yank that card prematurely as it is still showing on their website with the card benefits details. Everything that I read is that the new credit cards get 15 nights bonus, not stackable, in 2019.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I need the 15 nights bonus on my card anniversary in June to get me to the finish line of 500 nights for Marriott Lifetime Gold. I hope they don't yank that card prematurely as it is still showing on their website with the card benefits details. Everything that I read is that the new credit cards get 15 nights bonus, not stackable, in 2019.

Launch date for the new Marriott Premier Plus Chase card has been reported as 5/3/18. Also, everyone should be aware of the '5/24' rule that Chase uses. Chase denies applications for many new Chase credit cards if the applicant has opened five or more accounts across all banks in the last 24 months — hence “5/24.” So, if you have already opened 4 credit accounts anywhere in the past 24 months, there is a good chance that Chase will deny an application for this card (at least until your oldest account application of the last 5 accounts you opened becomes more than 2 years old).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Launch date for the new Marriott Premier Plus Chase card has been reported as 5/3/18. Also, everyone should be aware of the '5/24' rule that Chase uses. Chase denies applications for many new Chase credit cards if the applicant has opened five or more accounts across all banks in the last 24 months — hence “5/24.” So, if you have already opened 4 credit accounts anywhere in the past 24 months, there is a good chance that Chase will deny an application for this card (at least until your oldest account application of the last 5 accounts you opened becomes more than 2 years old).
I am not interested in getting the new Marriott card. When I looked at the card, it will be identical to the SPG Amex that I have currently. My intention is to close my Marriott Card after we get our lifetime status. We will keep the SPG Amex, which I get discounted membership fees every year without requesting for it in the first place, and Chase Sapphire Reserve.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember, you have until 12/31/18 to accumulate nights/points toward lifetime status.

Since I am already good with nights, I am praying you are correct about the "points" portion of this statement. I gave Marriott one Legends Edge week for 100K points already. I am thinking now I may just buy 50K and then transfer another 50K from the wife (after an SPG conversion).

I am not interested in getting the new Marriott card. When I looked at the card, it will be identical to the SPG Amex that I have currently. My intention is to close my Marriott Card after we get our lifetime status. We will keep the SPG Amex, which I get discounted membership fees every year without requesting for it in the first place, and Chase Sapphire Reserve.

I too will probably be closing one card, if my lifetime status goes as planned. I just don't know which one. I have managed to use the free night with the Marriott card in the past, but right now I have 2 certs in my account and nothing planned for use with one expiring in July. I use the Sapphire Reserve card more than anything else.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
I agree with the posts above that state if you are close to a lifetime status tier, you have until December 31, 2018 to make that threshold. My source is the Marriott FAQ here: https://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-is-happening-to-lifetime-status

I'm in the same spot as I would have qualified for lifetime Platinum next year and now need to determine whether I can (and want to) accelerate enough points and nights. I'm at about 700 nights and 1.83 million points, so need ~50 nights and 170k points. I would have hit 720 and 1.9m via anticipated travel by year end. This is a one time chance for me to be grandfathered in to LT Platinum Premier.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
Since I am already good with nights, I am praying you are correct about the "points" portion of this statement. I gave Marriott one Legends Edge week for 100K points already. I am thinking now I may just buy 50K and then transfer another 50K from the wife (after an SPG conversion).

Like you I have converted a timeshare week but still need further points to reach a lifetime status I’d like to achieve. I am close. Can you advise what is the cost to purchase 50k points. I’d like to compare that to cost of having converting another 2019 timeshare week. Thank you.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau

Thank you

Just discovered something extremely helpful. Deadline to convert vacation club trust points to MR is 9 months before end of use year. So my 2018 trust points having a calendar year would have need to converted by 3/31/18 and I missed that. So I just banked them. Banking them changes the use year making eligible to trade for MR Points till 10/6/19. This is great. I don’t have to convert 2019 trust points but I can convert the 2018 banked Points. This allows me to reach my target. This is also cheaper than converting an entire 2019 timeshare week to MR points (Which I can subsequently trade for 2019 Trust points). Flexibility with points keeps getting better.

Last edited:

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
"

I have had the same concern. However, in this post from thepointsguy.com (https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriotts-david-flueck-combined-program-questions/), there is a video of an interview he did with David Flueck, SVP of Global Loyalty for Marriott International and during the interview, Flueck basically stated "For this year [2018], all of the existing requirements for Lifetime continue, so people who are really close can still hit Lifetime status this year." The quoted text is from the post from The Points Guy, but in the video, that is what was said.

We'd still like to reach the requirements for Lifetime Gold before 8/1/18. Already transferred 50,000 to my wife's account. Is it confirmed that the purchase of points from Marriott will add to Lifetime totals?

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
After I posted this I read a post in another thread that purchased points have previously been added to Lifetime totals so we go that way to pick up the last amount of points needed. Thank you Nitemaire!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Be careful with points transfers. While they will add to your lifetime points, they also subtract from the lifetime points of the person transferring out. You can possibly take someone who meets lifetime status below the requirements for lifetime status.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with the posts above that state if you are close to a lifetime status tier, you have until December 31, 2018 to make that threshold. My source is the Marriott FAQ here: https://members.marriott.com/faq/#what-is-happening-to-lifetime-status

I'm in the same spot as I would have qualified for lifetime Platinum next year and now need to determine whether I can (and want to) accelerate enough points and nights. I'm at about 700 nights and 1.83 million points, so need ~50 nights and 170k points. I would have hit 720 and 1.9m via anticipated travel by year end. This is a one time chance for me to be grandfathered in to LT Platinum Premier.

There are several good options to generate points. Coming up with the 50 nights is a bit tougher. The easiest way I see is to connect with a local Fairfield Inn and book a meeting room (worth 10 nights each time) and have a family cook-out. Hold 5 of these 'meetings' before 12/31/18 and you will have your 50 nights.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
"

I have had the same concern. However, in this post from thepointsguy.com (https://thepointsguy.com/news/marriotts-david-flueck-combined-program-questions/), there is a video of an interview he did with David Flueck, SVP of Global Loyalty for Marriott International and during the interview, Flueck basically stated "For this year [2018], all of the existing requirements for Lifetime continue, so people who are really close can still hit Lifetime status this year." The quoted text is from the post from The Points Guy, but in the video, that is what was said.

We'd still like to reach the requirements for Lifetime Gold before 8/1/18. Already transferred 50,000 to my wife's account. Is it confirmed that the purchase of points from Marriott will add to Lifetime totals?

I am worried that I will get the 200K points required to reach lifetime Gold and get the "Congratulations. You have reached Lifetime Gold status." in December. I want it to also say "which is Lifetime Platinum under our new system."

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I would get the new Marriott cc, and I will definitely get it for us.

I would also get the Starwood Amex, while it is still being offered, and you can build points through Manufactured Spend, them transfer them over to MR for 3X points.

Manufactured Spend:
Go to Simon Mall either in person or online and buy $5K in gift cards for $3.95 per $500 card. The shipping fee for mailing the 10 cards is $.49. I do about $50K per month lately. Then get money orders from Walmart with the cards, then deposit them into your checking account. Get $999.12 money order (.88 for the money order), ask Walmart employee at customer service to take $500 first as payment, then swipe again for the additional $500.

Some Walmart stores are becoming difficult about money orders and Visa debit cards. We are about 50/50 for the Walmarts in our area. Rick is about ready to challenge the CS reps who won't do it at all. I keep telling him we should just say, "Okay, no problem," then leave. He is asking why too much. They say their managers are not allowing it. That is probably not necessarily true.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I would also get the Starwood Amex, while it is still being offered, and you can build points through Manufactured Spend, them transfer them over to MR for 3X points.

Manufactured Spend:
Go to Simon Mall either in person or online and buy $5K in gift cards for $3.95 per $500 card. The shipping fee for mailing the 10 cards is $.49. I do about $50K per month lately. Then get money orders from Walmart with the cards, then deposit them into your checking account. Get $999.12 money order (.88 for the money order), ask Walmart employee at customer service to take $500 first as payment, then swipe again for the additional $500.

Some Walmart stores are becoming difficult about money orders and Visa debit cards. We are about 50/50 for the Walmarts in our area. Rick is about ready to challenge the CS reps who won't do it at all. I keep telling him we should just say, "Okay, no problem," then leave. He is asking why too much. They say their managers are not allowing it. That is probably not necessarily true.

Wow. That may be totally legit, but after reading through it I think the only thing I missed seeing was a reference to the Nigerian prince who wants to share his fortune with you (if you just send a small fee) ... :D

Good for you if you have figured out a way to manufacture spend on such a large scale.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I would also get the Starwood Amex, while it is still being offered, and you can build points through Manufactured Spend, them transfer them over to MR for 3X points. ...

Marriott card is an option to help. Can I get the card in May, reach the spending limit, pay the bill, and get the points into my account before August 1st ?

Transferred points from SPG do not currently count toward LT status with Marriott. I already tested it. Now, obviously it will work after August, but after August is what I am worried about.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Wow. That may be totally legit, but after reading through it I think the only thing I missed seeing was a reference to the Nigerian prince who wants to share his fortune with you (if you just send a small fee) ... :D

Good for you if you have figured out a way to manufacture spend on such a large scale.
By Flyertalk standards, I am a rookie, but I have been doing this for about 8 years. We build points and miles quickly and will definitely fly first class next year to Europe. I see no reason to fly in economy with the points we have built over the last many years. We never pay for airfare, but there is a cost to the points, so it ain't free.

Status
Not open for further replies.