• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I needed "The TUG Tee Shirt" today! :)

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
I'm folding shirts in Target today, minding my own business, when I heard a guest on her cell phone. She was booking one of those "2 night stays" for free at Steele Hill in NH. She was raving to her husband about the gift card they were going to get to the outlet mall in Tilton. "And we'll get 8 nights at another resort."

I wanted to run in like Superman in my "Buy Resale" Tug shirt....but I had to settle for Target approved Red and Khaki. :) I had a nice conversation with her right in the middle of the girls department. I told her I love my timeshare, but that I had spent very little to acquire my 4 weeks. I told her we go to some very nice places, but we are not trading into Disney. However, we love the extra space, the kitchens, the amenities that a timeshare provides. I told her what the timeshare salespeople would likely say/do. I even made her practice saying no with me....roleplaying works...!

I hope I helped to head off a mistake. I sure am a nosy old lady...!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The word is “No.” can you read my lips TS salesperson. No. No. No! That is my final answer. No!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
The word is “No.” can you read my lips TS salesperson. No. No. No! That is my final answer. No!

DH wants to get that printed on a t-shirt! He did find a t-shirt that says; Despite this look on my face you are still talking! which he wore to the Wyndham presentation we attended in PA last month.

~Diane

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
You people do know that you would have no nice resort to go to at all. And these places wouldn’t be maintained as they are with out original developer sales right?
If all TS were $1 or free. Do you actually think you’d be staying anywhere other than in your car at a Walmart?

Now.
I agree resales can be a great deal and also agree new sales are too high and many sold with poor tactics

I hope the developers can figure out away to make resales to somehow hold value as this would make a new purchase less of a burden

I’m not on the sales side but this forum is filled with many trying to beat the resorts
You need that new car sale in order to have a used car market
The value of used just needs to improve

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
You people do know that you would have no nice resort to go to at all. And these places wouldn’t be maintained as they are with out original developer sales right?
If all TS were $1 or free. Do you actually think you’d be staying anywhere other than in your car at a Walmart?

Now.
I agree resales can be a great deal and also agree new sales are too high and many sold with poor tactics

I hope the developers can figure out away to make resales to somehow hold value as this would make a new purchase less of a burden

I’m not on the sales side but this forum is filled with many trying to beat the resorts

I’m trying to understand your post. Do you think we are all just trying to undermine the developers?
This isn’t true, we have been to presentations, bought from developers, rescinded, and found the same thing for less. We don’t have an agenda just enjoy timesharing. Even if we purchase resale, we still pay the same fees for maintenance that an owner pays for a week that they bought from a resort.
Timesharing doesn’t have to be a expensive thing, we just try to advise others to get a fair deal.
If this offends you, then you probably shouldn’t be taking our advice.
Safe Travels,
Silentg

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I’m trying to understand your post. Do you think we are all just trying to undermine the developers?
This isn’t true, we have been to presentations, bought from developers, rescinded, and found the same thing for less. We don’t have an agenda just enjoy timesharing. Even if we purchase resale, we still pay the same fees for maintenance that an owner pays for a week that they bought from a resort.
Timesharing doesn’t have to be a expensive thing, we just try to advise others to get a fair deal.
If this offends you, then you probably shouldn’t be taking our advice.
Safe Travels,
Silentg

Not offended at all
Just stating that no one would have a nice resort to go to period if new sales never happened
Yes. I own resale and some new. A mix which gave me the level and perks that I have
My point is. If everyone buys at $1 then how can the system maintain? MF won’t build new buildings. Nice pools. Etc
The things. We all talk about.

What I do think needs to happen is developers need to make resale weeks hold value and never get to $1
How they do that? Keep adding valuable perks to a mixed purchase
Buy a resale and a new at a fair price. Not gouging and then they give you X more benefits

This will give resale a better value and get MF for all units back in the system instead of them not being paid for by defaults etc

A $50,000 TS should be a $1
It should be able to hold value and developers are the ones that are able to make that happen

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I understand now. If you’ve gone to presentations, they promise you everything, give you perks, when you say no, they send the next guy to talk to you, and if you are still there , the negotiating continues, then they get defensive, and question why you don’t want this unbelievable offer.
We have stopped going to presentations, we have what we want. I don’t feel like I outsmarted anyone, just going to enjoy what we have. We have done well with TUG advice. Pretty fair people who are interested in vacationing for reasonable prices. At least my encounters have been positive and friendly.
Look at Marketplace, best source for us for buying, renting, and exchanging. The BBS on TUG is also good and when we stay at timeshares, I check the reviews and do a review after our stays.
Still use RCI too.
Silentg

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now.

I think we have to think about what the true price/value should be. It is certainly not retail price. As resale is somewhat of an open market it is closer. There are certainly some non market factors that depress the resale market too. Why should a business exist if the true market value/ price do not allow it to survive. My guess is that if the consumer were truly knowledgeable the resale market would rise and the retail market would decline. When it hits equilibrium let the chips fall where they may. There is a lot of demand for travel and I am sure that if timesharing dies some other business model will fill that void.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I think we have to think about what the true price/value should be. It is certainly not retail price. As resale is somewhat of an open market it is closer. There are certainly some non market factors that depress the resale market too. Why should a business exist if the true market value/ price do not allow it to survive. My guess is that if the consumer were truly knowledgeable the resale market would rise and the retail market would decline. When it hits equilibrium let the chips fall where they may. There is a lot of demand for travel and I am sure that if timesharing dies some other business model will fill that void.

Agree

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG reaches only a small percentage of timeshare owners/potential buyers, so do not fear that no one will buy from the developer.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Uhhh, no. Resale prices reflect the fair market value of the TS.
Developers need to stop robbing people blind with insane prices and false promises.
Developers need to stop hindering and help facilitate the resale market.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Uhhh, no. Resale prices reflect the fair market value of the TS.
Developers need to stop robbing people blind with insane prices and false promises.
Developers need to stop hindering and help facilitate the resale market.

Really?
$1 is fair market value???

Crazy talk
$30k is out of line. $1 is just flat out dumb
$1 is out of line for a candy bar
Obviously you have never built anything. If you can build a resort and sell each units week for a $1 then that’s awesome and you should be in the business

If new was more realistic like $15,000 etc depending on what you received for that $$. Then resale should be $10k

Still. Not a $1. It never should be $1
And the reason it is at a $1 is because of desperation by a seller

If new was a better value then that would also help keep resale value up

You never see an $40,000 car for a $1. Why? Because there’s still value. Running or not. Timeshares need to get to the same place.

New can’t be over the top and resale can’t be giveaway prices

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If developers would band together and create a buy-trade-resell market, not unlike what car dealers do, the timeshare market would be far more user-friendly.
if the new developer cost was, say $10,000 (50 intervals would be a $ half million- that oughtta be enough) and after 10 years, the developer (or HOA) would buy it back at $2,500, it should Need minimal refurb to go back on the market for, say $7,500. The HOA makes 5 grand on each resale, there is an exit plan for buyers, and that ends the 'buy it for $10 grand, sell it for $1 current fiasco.

The thing holding this back is the near absolute refusal of developers and HOAs to buy back and re-market timeshare intervals.

You just can't fix stupid!

Jim

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
If developers would band together and create a buy-trade-resell market, not unlike what car dealers do, the timeshare market would be far more user-friendly.
if the new developer cost was, say $10,000 (50 intervals would be a $ half million- that oughtta be enough) and after 10 years, the developer (or HOA) would buy it back at $2,500, it should Need minimal refurb to go back on the market for, say $7,500. The HOA makes 5 grand on each resale, there is an exit plan for buyers, and that ends the 'buy it for $10 grand, sell it for $1 current fiasco.

The thing holding this back is the near absolute refusal of developers and HOAs to buy back and re-market timeshare intervals.

You just can't fix stupid!

Jim

I agree

I think with some of the current changes developing that things may eventually get there.
At some point developers are going to have to realize the sales tactics no longer work and won’t drive sales like the 70’s until now

New buyers have more info at their disposal and therefore will want something like this