• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I think Interval International is ripping us off!?!?

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I have been a member of Interval for many years and have often paid for the additional platinum membership. I have been mostly satisfied, even though many, many increases and extra fees have been implemented over the past few years.

My platinum membership expired almost 4 months ago. I renewed it today, expecting an expiration date 2 years from today (Jan 2021). Instead of getting the full 2 years of membership I paid for, my membership is set to expire October 2020, thus I was charged for THE PAST 4 MONTHS I DID NOT USE! So basically, 1/3 of the year is gone the day I paid for the membership!?!? I called customer service and also spoke to a supervisor and was informed that ANY platinum membership that expired less than 4 months ago is considered a renewal and backdates to the original expiration date. I have NEVER seen this in ANY customer service industry! I can understand maybe back dating a renewal that expired in less than 30 days but NEVER nearly 4 months! The customer service rep confirmed for the past almost 4 months I was unable to take advantage of ANY of the platinum benefits, so I am at a total loss why I am being retroactively charged for a service I was unable to use. This is an extra, optional membership! This seems like a pure cash grab rip off! Anyone heard of this before???

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
That really sucks and I do appreciate you letting all of us know. I was able to get a plantinum membership after not having it expire the previous year.

I’m going to remember this new 4 month rule going forward

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
It did happen to me once with the regular membership but was able to update it so it starts the day I paid. Back then I did not use II that much so I was willing to cancel the whole membership as I did not have any deposits.

disneymom1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Ocean, Marriott Surfwatch, Marriott Manor Club Sequel
I am probably going to cancel it. I have no exchanges currently. I am really annoyed this is how they treat people who wish to pay extra for a platinum membership! Dishonest business practice in my opinion.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have been a member of Interval for many years and have often paid for the additional platinum membership. I have been mostly satisfied, even though many, many increases and extra fees have been implemented over the past few years.

My platinum membership expired almost 4 months ago. I renewed it today, expecting an expiration date 2 years from today (Jan 2021). Instead of getting the full 2 years of membership I paid for, my membership is set to expire October 2020, thus I was charged for THE PAST 4 MONTHS I DID NOT USE! So basically, 1/3 of the year is gone the day I paid for the membership!?!? I called customer service and also spoke to a supervisor and was informed that ANY platinum membership that expired less than 4 months ago is considered a renewal and backdates to the original expiration date. I have NEVER seen this in ANY customer service industry! I can understand maybe back dating a renewal that expired in less than 30 days but NEVER nearly 4 months! The customer service rep confirmed for the past almost 4 months I was unable to take advantage of ANY of the platinum benefits, so I am at a total loss why I am being retroactively charged for a service I was unable to use. This is an extra, optional membership! This seems like a pure cash grab rip off! Anyone heard of this before???
I would contact the tug liaison emailing Mark DelCampo at tugmembers@intervalintl.com , he might be able to help especially if the 4 month time is not disclosed. Things only change if we complain, at least sometimes.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
this is ridiculous especially since they (i assume from your post) did not inform you at the time of payment.
Did you get a 2 for one offer in the mail and you acted on that? Were any fine prints of that nature? I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

Is the renewal price cheaper than nonrenewal price? Or is there some additional fee to gain platinum membership you avoid by renewing?

If that isn't the case, I would cancel until the "buffer" time is over with.

Last edited:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just cancel your membership and don't look back. Let your money do the talking

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don't get it. Why not 30 days, 60 days, 3 months? 4 months seems arbitrary and I wouldn't be surprised that if you had renewed at 5 months they would have cited a 6 month rule.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't get it. Why not 30 days, 60 days, 3 months? 4 months seems arbitrary and I wouldn't be surprised that if you had renewed at 5 months they would have cited a 6 month rule.
As soon as you get past 120 days, it stops showing as a "renewal" option. Also when II offers 2 for 1 platinum upgrades they also use the 120 day to determine if you are eligible for the 10% off a renewal or 2 for 1 upgrade. It is arbitrary but it hasn't changed in the last 4 years.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
For all honesty, I have been dealing with Interval in the past few years when I started using them for exchanges and I do not find them that greedy. I really do enjoy working with them.

I remember when they wanted to charge me for past months and I was about to cancel the membership, I asked the representative which country is this company out of as I never experienced this level of customer service in the US and maybe that was my 2nd call to the company after I signed up so I may had a bad representative but they ended up correcting the issue.

Frankly, I fully understand the rule sucks and they should look at it. I never heard of any similar rule in any other business.

So 3 month after Plat membership expired you needed to pay for a unit size upgrade charge, would they have charged you $59 as your plat membership JUST lapsed 3 month ago or the full $99. So it really does not make sense.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)