• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II - Big Island

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

I’m trying to get two weeks on the Big Island in June 2019 for my in-laws and they’ve said a 2Br is their most important request, so they can invite their friends.

Can anyone comment on which property has the most availability for 2BR units? I believe Paniolo Greens is only 2Brs but it also trades in RCI and not sure which is the dominant system.

We would be utilizing II and trading Worldmark weeks.

Please advise and thank you!

Best,

Greg

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, RCI has a better selection on the Big Island than II. Wyndham has some nice properties in the Kona area. HGVC has some nice properties up in the Waikoloa area (but which now come with an additional $35 per night resort fee). It might be worth springing for an RCI membership for a year or exploring some of the minor exchange companies where memberships are free.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

I’m trying to get two weeks on the Big Island in June 2019 for my in-laws and they’ve said a 2Br is their most important request, so they can invite their friends.

Can anyone comment on which property has the most availability for 2BR units? I believe Paniolo Greens is only 2Brs but it also trades in RCI and not sure which is the dominant system.

We would be utilizing II and trading Worldmark weeks.

Please advise and thank you!

Best,

Greg

Hi Greg:
The Kona Coast I and II will come through in a 2br unit via Interval.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would get RCI, which is also available for WM.

Bay Club (a hilton property) has every week but one in June on the big Island available right now, and the first two weeks are available at Paniolo Greens. All in 2 bedrooms.

It's a bit more $, both buying a 2nd membership and the fees are higher, but if it gets you exactly what you want...

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
In my opinion, RCI has a better selection on the Big Island than II. Wyndham has some nice properties in the Kona area. HGVC has some nice properties up in the Waikoloa area (but which now come with an additional $35 per night resort fee). It might be worth springing for an RCI membership for a year or exploring some of the minor exchange companies where memberships are free.
Has it been verified that ALL of the Hilton properties in the Waikoloa Resort area have the resort fee?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Do you have a source for the $35 HGVC fees? My understanding is it was listed on the Hilton dot com site for cash rentals from Hilton, not RCI exchange or HGVC points owners. I did not see it listed on RCI web site, I just checked Bay Club.

If its going to be extended to RCI exchange, advantage HGVC owners renting their points.

Greg, you might want to post an ad for a direct exchange with HGVC owner. Kohala is all 2 br, and most of Bay Club and Kingsland are 2 br. I might be interested, thinking about Europe in 2019 instead of y annual Hawaii trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Thank you all for the suggestions -- I do have RCI but I'm trying to do this with spacebanks in II as I am credit constrained. Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Best,

Greg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, we traded into a 2BR at Kona Coast via II a few years ago. The unit was spacious and clean. Not as nice as Hilton or Marriott, but it worked out well for us. I see the resort come up for trade pretty frequently.

Best regards.

Mike

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
The OP was looking for a 2 BR unit though ii. Paniolo Greens is comprised of all 2 BR's IIRC. It is inland from Waikoloa and by a golf course. While I like Kona Coast 2, most of the units that I see show up are 1 BR units. But they do have 2 BR units and Kona Coast is usually not a difficult trade.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
The OP was looking for a 2 BR unit though ii. Paniolo Greens is comprised of all 2 BR's IIRC. It is inland from Waikoloa and by a golf course. While I like Kona Coast 2, most of the units that I see show up are 1 BR units. But they do have 2 BR units and Kona Coast is usually not a difficult trade.
We have stayed at both of these resorts. If I had a choice I'd stay at Kona Coast again as it is on the coast and you can see the water. Units at Paniolo Greens are large and comfortable, it's close to the small shopping center with a grocery store, but it is inland. But I'd stay there again (we've stayed twice) if that was the only option I had.