• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II - Open inventory before OGS match

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You have an OGS that doesn't match - but then you see a sighting for it in open inventory. What gives? I always assumed trade power issue.

But, yesterdays mini bulk of some Hyatts proved this is not always the case. Resorts are definitely being released to open inventory first.

Myself - While searching yesterday I saw a unit at Hyatt Windward Point - March 10th and proceeded with the exchange. I cancelled it this morning. The rep looked at my OGS and said do you want to remove the resort? Huh, I didn't even realize included it in my OGS. The fact is though, it was not the OGS that picked it up - it was done manually.

In sightings another tugger reported the same for Wild Oak. And other reported they had an OGS for Highland that didn't match, but should of IMO with their deposit considering what I was using to see them.

So yeah....OGS are not full proof. Can't "set it and forget it"

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Happens all the time with II. At this point I am surprised regular Tuggers are surprised when it happens. It happens both with bulk deposits, not every time but it might just be that if it is loaded at 3 am no one happens to be looking before the match process gets going. It also happens with individual deposits where someone has an OGS and then sees a unit (not necessarily as part of a bulk) that should have matched but didn't.

CMVer

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an OGS for January in Orlando and one of the resorts and dates was available as I was searching one day. I watched it for four days before it matched the search. I didn't really want it to match yet because I wasn't sure of the dates which is why I didn't grab it, but I did think it was odd that the unit was sitting there in regular inventory for several days before it matched the OGS.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I have never experienced this scenario yet but it doesn’t surprise me.

I have seen, I believe when they are running their programs, around 3am in the morning great weeks that appear just for a short time and disappear within a few minutes which makes me think they first run a program to put all new weeks into the system and then they run a second program to match requests. My guess is the second program, at times, for some reason is not being runned to match requests.

Just a guess on what I think could be happening. Can you tell I programmed computers for year?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This has seemed to be how II's system has worked for years. Best we could all speculate is that when a unit is first deposited, it goes in to general online available inventory. Then every so often their system comes through and sweeps these up for the overnight match process. Then during the overnight match, if it matches you get the email confirmation. HOwever, if you are searching when it is still sitting out there in general inventory before picked up in the regular sweep, you wonder why it didn't match. It seems that it is because it hasn't had the opportunity yet. This is why it pays to do regular searches throughout the day, even if you have an OGS setup.

marisajo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Surf Watch
Marriott's Harbour Club
Marriott's Grande Vista
Mine was the Wild Oak that matched around 10am. I had seen the post in sightings and had logged in to make the match myself manually and then it got matched by OGS while I was in the process of doing the manual exchange. Luckily the week I wanted was still there 4 hours after spotted in open inventory. I wonder if this was always the case. It definitely seems like all my OGS are taking many more months to match than they ever did in the past. Guess I'll have to try to make checking part of my morning routine. Pretty much defeats the purpose of OGS.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
II should be taken to task for this. Yes, it has been well documented on this site. II takes your good money, and ties up your unit which can't be used, with the promise of an OGS which will match before inventory is released. II routinely fails on this promise, as their systems apparently aren't programmed to fullfill the promise. I think there's a legal term for this...

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m one of the few people who hopes II doesn’t solve this issue. The vast majority of my great trades are from units snagged late at night.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I didn't get my OGS match for a Westin 2/23, and I was able to book it with the same week that I used for my OGS.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m one of the few people who hopes II doesn’t solve this issue. The vast majority of my great trades are from units snagged late at night.
Those late night snags are the best but usually a few minute opportunity.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In all fairness II needs to fix this. Mark or II, if you are reading this can you give us some insight on why this is happening? I still love my trades in II, overall they are the best value and have the best customer service.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is discouraging, some of these deposits that make it pass OGS are really good. I'm on II enough....but certainly not all the time to watch and see anything come through.

Curious - I know II dumps a lot of LM stuff at 7 am EST. Is there a specific time the overnight stuff gets put into the system?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is discouraging, some of these deposits that make it pass OGS are really good. I'm on II enough....but certainly not all the time to watch and see anything come through.

Curious - I know II dumps a lot of LM stuff at 7 am EST. Is there a specific time the overnight stuff gets put into the system?
It changes but I believe most times between 3 am and 4 am est.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
You have an OGS that doesn't match - but then you see a sighting for it in open inventory. What gives? I always assumed trade power issue.

But, yesterdays mini bulk of some Hyatts proved this is not always the case. Resorts are definitely being released to open inventory first.

Myself - While searching yesterday I saw a unit at Hyatt Windward Point - March 10th and proceeded with the exchange. I cancelled it this morning. The rep looked at my OGS and said do you want to remove the resort? Huh, I didn't even realize included it in my OGS. The fact is though, it was not the OGS that picked it up - it was done manually.

In sightings another tugger reported the same for Wild Oak. And other reported they had an OGS for Highland that didn't match, but should of IMO with their deposit considering what I was using to see them.

I had a first-hand experience of this yesterday. I saw MML during one of my online searches but the dates were not of interest to me. So I thought, it didn't match because I probably removed those from my OGS. But I got an email around 2 AM Pacific that I was matched. In my case, the OGS works but sometimes it goes to open inventory before matching to the OGS. I also read that someone had an OGS and it never matched even though the week was in inventory.

Matching late is still not as bad as not matching at all and seeing the unit in open inventory.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a first-hand experience of this yesterday. I saw MML during one of my online searches but the dates were not of interest to me. Turns out I had not removed those dates from my OGS and got a match the next day. At least it matched overnight. I also read that someone had an OGS and it never matched even though the week was in inventory.

Yes, you do hear of these stories for sure.......

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
The DVC waitlist process seems to work the same - maybe they’re using the same software! Routine advice to anyone who WL is to stalk the reservation tool as well - many reports of seeing and manually reserving the desired stay before the WL picks it up.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score

It’s happened to me. I have an OGS and, lo and behold, I find the week I wanted while doing a regular search. I immediately reserve that week and cancel the OGS.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
The DVC waitlist process seems to work the same - maybe they’re using the same software! Routine advice to anyone who WL is to stalk the reservation tool as well - many reports of seeing and manually reserving the desired stay before the WL picks it up.
I never knew that! Thanks!