• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II- XYZ - Lovin' it!

equitax

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the advice found on TUG, I have managed to capitalise on XYZ!

Relinquished Studio at Grande Vista

Confirmed - 2BDR at Surf Club

XYZ confirmed - 2BDR at Surf Club

Happy me!
:cheer: :cheer:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
AWESOME! Hope that you have great tripS.

elaine

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
More Info Please

Congrats on your XYZ week in Aruba. A nice resort.

I know generally what an XYZ week is but are there any posts with more specific information? Such as who can get these weeks? How far in advance can one book? Do the destinations ever change? Can they be booked on-line or only with an agent on the phone? Are these weeks a temporary special promotion or a on-going long time thing with II?

-TJ

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
More folks will answer soon, I'm sure, but here's what I know:
Anyone can book, you are supposed to only be able to book unit size of your original deposit but some report you can book the same unit size that you obtained in exchange (this was a recent experience of mine as well), resorts available & time into the future you can book vary but generally it is oversupplied areas, low or shoulder season, less than 6 months in advance.

Can't book Hyatts, Four Seasons & holiday weeks.

XYZ apparently has been around awhile, not sure how long, and it sounds like it will be an on-going thing, but subject to change or discontinuation at any time.

IMO, XYZ gives II a pretty serious leg up on RCI. OP took the studio portion of their lock out & traded for 2 two BR units, presumably got another 1-2 weeks use out of the 1BR side of their unit.

H

frenchieinme

TUG Member
Reaction score
More folks will answer soon, I'm sure, but here's what I know:
Anyone can book, you are supposed to only be able to book unit size of your original deposit but some report you can book the same unit size that you obtained in exchange (this was a recent experience of mine as well), resorts available & time into the future you can book vary but generally it is oversupplied areas, low or shoulder season, less than 6 months in advance.

Can't book Hyatts, Four Seasons & holiday weeks.

XYZ apparently has been around awhile, not sure how long, and it sounds like it will be an on-going thing, but subject to change or discontinuation at any time.

IMO, XYZ gives II a pretty serious leg up on RCI. OP took the studio portion of their lock out & traded for 2 two BR units, presumably got another 1-2 weeks use out of the 1BR side of their unit.

H

I believe the XYZ exchange is basically for a low demand period. If anyone can attest otherwise, I would like to know. The way it was expalined to me this XYZ exchange occurs when II has excess inventory which by definition is in low demand times like Jan in FL. Has anyone got an XYZ exchange is a high demand low supply season?

frenchieinme :hi:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I believe the XYZ exchange is basically for a low demand period. If anyone can attest otherwise, I would like to know. The way it was expalined to me this XYZ exchange occurs when II has excess inventory which by definition is in low demand times like Jan in FL. Has anyone got an XYZ exchange is a high demand low supply season?

frenchieinme :hi:

OP found a nice loophole, then, that works for them. Weather-wise, there is no off season in Aruba, which to too far south to have hurricane concerns. Weather otherwise basically does not vary season to season. Low season in Aruba has more to do with when others want to travel than with there being truly a bad time to go. By defination, OP can go when he/she can go, therefore the season is not low for them.

Maybe this is the next XYZ challenge- Tuggers should come up with a list of good locales with off-season availability, but in which the off season is just as pleasant a time to visit. Hilton Head in winter, maybe not. Aruba in Fall, yes!

This does not help Tuggers tied to school schedules, but for those that are not, such a list could be great.

I would suggest April in Cancun, after Easter. Palm Springs early Jan. Hawaii Sept. Scottsdale October. These are all just ideas, not first hand experiences.

Our XYZs have been Palm Springs Dec, Vegas Jan, and Scottsdale Labor Day.

H

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
There was some discussion a while back that XYZ was only available until Oct. 2011...Were you able to book past Oct.?

Called II and found out that they are only booking the 2 for 1 exchange, June - Oct. 2011.

Last edited:

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
I was told on Saturday that they were booking November but not the holiday. I was also told that it was like unit size for like unless that location only had larger. So, in Orlando a studio would exchange for a studio but in some place that only had 2 bedrooms that is what you could get.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got 2 XYZs last week, for the first time ever. We were told they were good until Nov 30, 2011. No mention was made of the holiday being excluded, but we didn't ask either. Now, we're trying to figure out how we can take advantage of them.

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The way it was expalined to me this XYZ exchange occurs when II has excess inventory which by definition is in low demand times like Jan in FL. :

If January in Florida is low demand times then sign me up! I prefer Florida in January than June, July, August or even September.

These XYZ weeks may be even more valuable than I thought.

-TJ

slomac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
I thought XYZ could not be used in Hawaii. Can someone confirm?

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought XYZ could not be used in Hawaii. Can someone confirm?

That's what WE hear from II rep usually, but a Tugger reported that they got Hawaii (not just Hawaii, it was a Marriott Hawaii) with XYZ.
Also, higher II rep could reserve "forbidden weeks".
So it is a pure luck, it depends which II rep you talk to.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have to request the XYZ?

I exchanged my Ocean Pointe for Ocean Watch a couple of weeks ago, and nothing was mentioned about the XYZ promo. Do I need to call II?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I exchanged my Ocean Pointe for Ocean Watch a couple of weeks ago, and nothing was mentioned about the XYZ promo. Do I need to call II?

I just booked a week with the XYZ promotion at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for September. HOT, but the kids will like it.

You do have to call. If you have a week you recently exchanged, and the start date hasn't begun yet, you can get the bonus week. But a call is necessary, and you need to mention XYZ.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Guess the price of XYZs will be going up with the new $169 domestic phone exchange fee :(

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Guess the price of XYZs will be going up with the new $169 domestic phone exchange fee :(

When does it start?
I had an XYZ to Marriott's Grand Chateau 2BR last week, and paid $159.

$169 is a still bargain when you get a whole week in a nice resort!
I got XYZs for 6 marriotts all in 2BRs.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
When does it start?
I had an XYZ to Marriott's Grand Chateau 2BR last week, and paid $159.

$169 is a still bargain when you get a whole week in a nice resort!
I got XYZs for 6 marriotts all in 2BRs.

Effective July 1 according to the most recent Interval World magazine.

Caribbean-lover

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Grande Vista from 2004 and did not know about this xyz, is there any site where I can read the rules about it? Who is supposed to inform you about it, II members or Marriott members? Sometimes I had to exchange my 2 bdr with a one bdr because there was'nt availability in the place we wanted to go! So I could have had the chance to get one more week of holidays:wall:
Now we have 3 weeks booked at the Cove in St Thomas, how can I use this xyz(what's the meaning of it?)
Thanks for your hints!

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
When you have made an exchange and the exchange has not yet happened you can use that exchange to request an XYZ 2- for 1 and get another. Once you take the vacation you cannot use XYZ. You must make the XYZ exchange before the trip that it is using. The XYZ week can be after the original exchange. [OK, that sounds confusing to me and I understand it :) ].
There are other rules.
It is a like for like exchange so usually you will get the same size of unit that you originally exchanged. This is not always so. If you request at a resort that only has units bigger than you exchanged you may get the larger room.
Also, they use a grid to see what is available. It is usually places with lots of inventory.
It does not go out that far. A few weeks ago it went to the end of November. But, in May it only went until June.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Just booked my first XYZ exchange to Marriott's Timber Lodge in Tahoe! A two bedroom in Sept appeared early this morning, and was still there when I called at 8am(CST).:whoopie:

And yes, the price has increased to $169; still an incredible deal.:)

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Nice XYZ snag! September is a good time to be in Tahoe.

H

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
I was just talking to II and XYZ now goes into December. Stops before the Holidays

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
Hi,
I was just talking to II and XYZ now goes into December. Stops before the Holidays

I am looking to do an XYZ for March 2012, could someone PM me when they hear the booking window is opened into March 2012?

Thanks to this thread I booked an XYZ for Dec. in Palm Springs.

I wonder if I could book an XYZ for my XYZ booking....does that make sense?

The II rep I spoke to said XYZ was only available at destinations with excess inventory like Palm Springs, Vegas, Orlando. I asked about Hawaii and he said no. He also said only studios were allowed to be booked in Vegas and Palm Springs...does that sound right?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

redrew22

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just booked my first XYZ exchange to Marriott's Timber Lodge in Tahoe! A two bedroom in Sept appeared early this morning, and was still there when I called at 8am(CST).:whoopie:

And yes, the price has increased to $169; still an incredible deal.:)

When you say it appeared early this morning, what are you looking at? Getaways?

Thanks