• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II- XYZ - Lovin' it!

rsteenblik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everyone. We have been trying to exchange into a 2-bedroom at Shadow Ridge during Thanksgiving since February as part of a family reunion. This morning I saw a 1-bedroom and a lockoff available, so I called and was able to book them both as part of an XYZ exchange. I never would have known about XYZ if it weren't for this forum.

Now we just have to cross our fingers that Marriott will combine the two units together for us when we stay so we can keep the family together.

Rob

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread! Thanks for all the information. I just wanted to clarify how the XYZ week works....

We have a confirmed exchange for a 2BR at Barony on HHI for the end of February that was booked last week. Can we call II now about the XYZ week? If we wanted to get a week on the East Coast for the first week of April, should we wait to call when the XYZ booking window goes out that far? Is there anything else that we need to know? Is their any additional cost (pay another exchange fee, for example?)

Thanks for all the info, everyone. And to think I once thought of myself as a knowledgeable timeshare owner! :eek:

Amy

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Hi amycurl,

The XYZ exchange week has to be taken before the original exchange week start date. As an example, we deposited our owned unit and made an exchange for an April 2012 week in Las Vegas. We were able to attach an XYZ exchange onto this Las Vegas exchange for a Sept 2011 week in Tahoe. We would not have been able to attach any week with a start date later than our April exchange.

The XYZ exchanges can only be done through an Interval rep over the phone, not online, and cost $169 for me. I do not own any units within a timeshare system such as Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, etc. They may have different pricing for these exchanges.

Hope this helps.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi amycurl,

The XYZ exchange week has to be taken before the original exchange week start date...
Hope this helps.

This is actually incorrect.

One must book the XYZ week before the check in date of the exchange being used to book the XYZ week.

Travel can take place after the exchange week.

If your exchange is for April 1, 2012, you must book your XYZ before April 1. But at the time you book, you may book an XYZ as far out as the grid allows. If you are told differently when you speak to II, hang up and call again.

H

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
The only time that you would have to book your XYZ before your confirmed exchange week would be if the original deposit week was expiring exactly when your confirmed week was.

So if your deposited week was to expire April 8th and you have a confirmed exchange for april 1 your would have to book an XYZ before April 1 because the deposit would have expired for any weeks after that.

This would almost never happen. I for one never book that close to a deposit expiring.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
Oops, this whole time I thought we had to use the XYZ exchange before the start date of the original exchange.:eek: Thanks for the correction.

My last exchange had been so far out into the future (18 months), that it wasn't difficult to find an XYZ for an earlier time.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Our deposit wasn't that close to expiring, so we should be good on that front. May definitely need to investigate, now that I know we'd be able to use it.

As always, you guys are the best! :)

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love the XYZ...just got a week at Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge for March 10th check-in :cheer:

happyfoot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Willow Ridge Lodge

Love the XYZ...just got a week at Marriott Willow Ridge Lodge for March 10th check-in :cheer:

You will love it there - one of our home resorts. Try to attend the resort's "Celebration" dinner (there's a small fee). They showcase many of the area performers while you're enjoying dinner (many pass around coupons) and it's a great chance to get a glimpse of all the great entertainment available, especially if you've never been before. They also have a free wine & cheese social that's very nice & a beautiful indoor pool. I would say don't miss The Duttons (my personal fav) & Shoji is unbelieveable (make sure you check out both the women's & men's bathrooms!). :whoopie:

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question: what will happen to the XYZ exchange if you cancel the first original exchange?

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question: what will happen to the XYZ exchange if you cancel the first original exchange?

II rep said, if you cancel the original exchange, II rep "should cancel" XYZ too. However, they can leave it (not cancel) and if you're lucky, you can use XYZ.
All XYZ are bounded by the original exchanges.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about if you rebook your original exchange? Let's say to another resort at a later date?

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
I was told that if you have to cancel the original exchange that the XYZ will automatically be cancelled ( though maybe not right away). I was told that I could re-exchange and keep the XYZ in place.
XYZ are associated with an exchange and unless you have already taken the XYZ it should be cancelled if the original is cancelled.
This is what I have been told. I have not tried to do it other than this way.

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told (after I asked the question) that if you cancel the original exchange, the XYZ becomes the first exchange, and you can book another XYZ, since the XYZ was already tied to the same home week. Of course you would lose the exchange fee on the cancelled exchange. And II would get a third exchange fee on the second XYZ by selling another surplus week.

Of course I could have been confused. :D

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about cancelling XYZ week or replacing it? I have one XYZ week that I can't use. I haven't called II yet, wondering if anyone knows if that can be changed/replaced for another exchange fee.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Hi,

I confirmed an exchange for Marriott's Imperial Palms (3BR) for Thanksgiving 2012! I gave up Imperial Palms for Spring Break 2012.

I have a couple of questions for the experts as I had never heard of XYZ until reading this thread! Thanks!
1) Do you think that this exchange would qualify for XYZ?
2) When would summer months open up if II was to extend? It appears that you can book XYZ into March.
3) Do you pay the $169 now and then match the XYZ through the inventory online or do you do it all over the phone in one phone call?

Thanks again! John

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
John -

You pay the exchange fee when you book the week. You are only able to book an XYZ week on the telephone and the availability is limited. You will have to call periodically to find out when the dates are extended. They seem to extend every few weeks. Good luck!

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was my third time to use the XYZ exchange. Last year, the XYZs were phenomenal - both exchanges were into Hawaii at first class resorts.

This XYZ is not so amazing; it is into Virginia Beach in February - but I love it because I wll get to see my kids and stay in a nice place that is close to the airport.

WOO HOO!

elaine

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine,

What Hawaiian resorts were you able to get with XYZ? I have an exchange in late April that I would like to get a week in Hawaii using XYZ.

Thank you,
Bee

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
Hi, I just exchanged into a week at Cypress Harbour from 11/17/12 to 11/24/12. When XYZ's open up for Nov 2012, would I be able to get an XYZ week for the same time (so family can join us) and can I get a guest cert for an XYZ week. Thanks for the assistance.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
The week that you have is Thanksgiving and I am not positive that XYZ will work for the holiday. When I asked this year, when November was just added to the grid I was told it went up to the holiday but I don't know if that was just how far the grid had extended to or if the holiday week was excluded. Others may have more details.
You can get a guest certificate but if you will be at the resort with your guests you don't need a certificate. Put both rooms in your name and then add their names if you wish at the resort.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently took advantage of an XYZ exhange.

Now...I'm looking to do another - but the only things I have book now are:

1. On a short Short Stay exchange.
2. On the "valueable customer" AC given by II.

Can I xyz off of one of these?
Also - has anyone been able to get an XYZ into Orlando the last week of December?

Last edited:

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Hi,
XYZ can only go against regular deposits so you can't use them if you have already used a shortstay or for an AC.
Also, XYZ can not be used for holidays so if a holiday is included in the week it is not eligible. That means that a week that includes Christmas or new years will not be allowed.

CherylH

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ-- can you get a guest certificate with it?

I am trying to understand XYZ and am wondering, can I get a guest certificate for a friend to use on on my XYZ exchange, or must it only be used by the member? Thanks for any help.

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to understand XYZ and am wondering, can I get a guest certificate for a friend to use on on my XYZ exchange, or must it only be used by the member? Thanks for any help.

Yes, you can, but you may not need one depending on the resort. I recently bought two GCs, and when I placed a view request the front desk clerk offered to add their names to the reservation. So, I would suggest you call the resort first before buying the GC.