• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II- XYZ - Lovin' it!

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Does anyone know when the XYZ weeks go out to?

Thanks, John

jmzf1958

TUG Member
Reaction score
Xyz Exchange

Hi. I received an exchange from II earlier this year to be used in September of 2012. Am I eligible for an xyz exchange? If so, what is the xyz exchange for this time period and do I use the xyz exchange before using my September of 2012 exchange? I've used an xyz previously, but I can't recall how it works. Thanks. Judy

momeason

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes,you are eligible for XYZ if you have a confirmed exchange for Sept, 2012. You need to call II before your exchange in September and book an XYZ. The XYZ week can be after your Sept week, but the reservation must be made before your Sept week exchange. The window for the XYZ bonus week is a few months out. Right now it seems to be through March. If you want to go on a trip between now and the end of March, then you first do a search of available inventory for that time period. If you find a week you want , then you call II and request that week. Pay $170 exchange fee and you are done. The XYZ week must be from available inventory. If you want to take a trip later then you wait until the XYZ window is open for when you want to go. I have not figured out a rhyme or reason for the XYZ window. Never seen it more than 4 months out, sometimes it is less. :ponder: You have to call and find out what the current XYZ window is. If the agent you are talking to seems uninformed, hang up and try again.
I think XYZs are supposed to be based on the size of your original deposit, but the last one I did, they based it on the size of the unit I had obtained. I used a studio to exchange in flexchange and obtained a 2 BR unit in Las Vegas. When I called to XYZ, I said I wanted to XYZ my Las Vegas week. ( I have later confirmed exchanges) The rep asked what size unit I had in Las Vegas. I said 2 BR. I exchanged for a Marriott in Breckenridge, Co. The largest unit at that resort was a 1BR. There were studios at the Breckenridge resort, but I was given a 1 BR. We went to Breck on Dec 3-10. It was a great week in a Marriott for $170.
Good luck. I love XYZ. Your experience totally depends on the agent you get. If you don't like the answer, hang up. You may very well get a different answer/result from a different agent.

donnaval

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ Frustration

Why do I have no luck at all with getting a single agent who has even heard of XYZs, let alone know how to do one? I am polite, I am knowledgeable, but all that happens is I get one agent after another who simply can't comprehend what I'm asking. None of them even know there is such a thing as an XYZ exchange. I have tried several times, using the "hang up if they don't know what you're talking about" strategy, to no avail. Today (a bad day I know, since I assume lots of the more knowledgeable are off for the holiday but I had some time) I got yet another agent who had never heard of XZY, who tried to shuffle me off to Diamond Resorts (my underlying unit is not a Diamond resort), and who expressed serious doubt that I was calling the right exchange company. Eventually she switched me to a supervisor, and there....

The scenario: I exchanged a 2-br unit with a December 2012 check-in (Christmas week) for a 2-br unit with a check-in January 21 2012. My understanding is that I can request an XYZ for a 2-br unit if it is on the grid, as long as I make the request before January 21, and as long as the check-in date for what I'm requesting occurs before the original deposit's check-in date. Am I wrong about this?

I must be, because the supervisor said, nope, absolutely not, no XZY for me - I *could* have had one, but I would have had to book it at the time of the original reservation. I politely explained to her my understanding that I could book an XYZ up to the date of check-in for the qualifying exchange. She said I was misinformed. She said that she could possibly over-ride the system *one time as a courtesy* since an agent may have given me incorrect information. Then, it didn't matter anyway because even if she was able to give me the one-time exception, the reservation I wanted started in February but ended in March, and the grid for that area did not go to March, so once again no XYZ for me.

I can understand the part about the reservation encroaching into March. I cannot understand her insistence that the XYZ had to be booked at the same time I made the first exchange.

It just seems so screwy that so many agents are clueless about the program. No visible grid or guidelines for exchangers to review before going through the process. I am envious of everyone's success with this - it has simply been very frustrating for me, with nothing to show for it yet.

I'm not going to give up, but am I using the wrong terminology, or do I need to call a special number or :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The guy I spoke to mentioned it to me during my initial exchange phone call and he called it a "2 for 1", not an xyz. When I asked if it was an xyz he acted like he didn't know what I was referring to. I think that tuggers call it an xyz but I'm not sure that's what the II people call it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Another term is "XYZ Type 1".

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ name

When I booked my XYZ, it posted in my history as an XYZ exchange. i am planning to do one this week. Hopefully, there will not be problems.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told a few days ago that the XYZ inventory was essentially the same as a typical AC grid. The agent had to get up and go get a chart. I was looking for San Antonio and was told Texas was not on the list.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I also look at the 6 night shortstay availability and dates to get a very rough idea of dates open for different locations. In the past XYZ seemed to have slightly better availability but that could be changing.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was told a few days ago that the XYZ inventory was essentially the same as a typical AC grid. The agent had to get up and go get a chart. I was looking for San Antonio and was told Texas was not on the list.

Riverside Suites is great in San Antonio but it took me almost 2 years to get it. We went in late April, 2011.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonderful II rep

When I booked my XYZ, it posted in my history as an XYZ exchange. I am planning to do one this week. Hopefully, there will not be problems.

I am waiting for an II rep right now. I called to XYZ.
My last XYZ shows in my history as:
Two for One Exchange Special
XYZ
I am hoping to get another 1 or 2 br. Last time I used XYZ to get a 1 br in Breckenridge. I had originally relinquished a studio in Flexchange for a 2 br in Las Vegas.

Yeah! I obtained a 1 BR with full kitchen. The rep was the nicest, most helpful I have ever spoken with. Her name is Naomi and she gave me her phone # and ext. She does not work on Thursdays or Saturdays. She has been with II since 2003.
Naomi at 800-722-1791, ext 8415. If her line is busy..keep trying!:cheer:

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, I booked April 26-May 3 at the Marriott Willow Ridge in Branson. My original deposit was a Wyndham studio to get a 2BR at Marriott Ocean Watch in MB, now a 1BR at the Marriott in Branson. Good deal out of a Wyndham Studio!!

Last edited:

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can call any of the II numbers and put in ext 8415. The number I first gave you is always busy tonight. I just used one of the reg exchange dept numbers on the website and put in her ext and talked to Naomi again.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I am confused. If I deposited a 2BR 8/12/2011 week and confirmed a 1/5/2013 week (studio) can I get an XYZ until 1/5/13--or am I out of luck b/c my deposited week was 8/12/2011 and that time has passed? Also, anyone inquire or have luck for getting XYZ Orlando week before Easter (4/1/2012)?

Bee

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I got a week an XYZ week at Marriott Timber Lodge in South Lake Tahoe. The week starts Memorial Day weekend. It will probably be a bit cool, but I'm sure we will have a good time!

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elaine, you have until 1/4/2013 to book an XYZ. You can book it anytime before your confirmed exchange starts. You must book by phone.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Sands-Cancun .. ever on the XYZ grid?

I was thinking about putting in an ongoing request for Royal Sands Cancun but I saw it available the other day while doing an all destinations search. That made me think maybe it would be on the XYZ grid in winter. If it is, I would rather search for something that I definitely could not get on XYZ, like New Orleans Quarter House.
Has anyone picked up good resorts in Mexico in Winter with an XYZ? I wish we could see the mysterious XYZ grid.
I am intrigued with the reviews for the Royal Sands. It sounds so nice.

TSPam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC, Embarc
Elaine,
The only time that your deposit would matter is if it was about to expire but your 8/12/11 wouldn't expire until 8/12/13 so you have no problem.
I have a deposit that will expire May 12th this year so if I want an XYZ it must be booked before the exchange (still to be done) happens and before May 12th

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked my favorite II agent and she said Cancun is on the current XYZ grid in April and May. The current XYZ grid goes through June. If I was going to XYZ right now, I would do a search for all available destinations through June.
If I find something available that appeals to me, then I would call and try to book it. Each time I have called and tried to book from available inventory I have been successful. Marriotts- Dec in Breckenridge, Co and late April in Branson, Mo. Good shoulder seasons both times.

cory30

TUG Member
Reaction score
XYZ over holidays?

I know that XYZ guidelines indicate holidays are excluded. However, I noted where someone had received one over the Memorial Day week. Has anyone had any success with XYZ over a holiday such as Christmas in an over built or off season area?

wyannuzzi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbour ;

Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom EOY
I just called and got a Cypress Harbour XYZ for June 10th and a guest certificate for it. First time I did this and it only took 10 minutes to complete. Thank you Tug members for all the advice on XYZ's and Timeshares!!!!!