• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I'm heading to Vidanta NV in December and would like to know what is the cost of a membership? I

Ducati696

Reaction score
I' hoping to obtain as much information before I arrive ,so I can get the best deal possible.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This may get more traction in the Mexico forum.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
They have vacation club type exit offers for as little as $4000-$6000. They have Luxxe contracts that are $500,000+ and everything in between. They usually offer something on the higher end (but not necessarily on the highest end) and will start coming down from there. They will often make it seem like the later offers are "essentially the same" as the original offer but the benefits and inclusions will not be the same.

Vidanta seems to work on the principal that they want to get someone in the door and into the Vidanta world with a mid to low end contract and then continually upsell them from then on.

Ducati696

Reaction score
Thank you for the information.
Will it help if I have a dollar amount that I would like to spend? If so, what could I get $6000-$7000.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually don't recommend buying a Mexican timeshare. There are so many, that it's easy to just rent where/when you want to go, and not be trapped in an ever-increasing and escalating maintenance fee and renewal and upgrading scheme. Plus, with Mexican timeshares, there is no deed. You don't OWN anything, and if you try to sell it, they charge hefty prices to simply change the name on the contract.

It's your money. Spend it however you wish, but that $6,000-$7,000 upfront, then the annual expenses will get you all the Mexican vacations you desire and no commitment.

Jim

Ducati696

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are heading to Vidanta NV on a Vida Ambassador certificate that was passed on from a family friend. We are staying in the Grand Mayan,and I was hoping to get some insight on their membership program,along with the meal costs.
I'm sure they will try to get us to attend a time share presentation,if that does happen I do want to be prepared so we don't waste a whole day.
Any advise will be much appreciated

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I would suggest that you pass on the presentation. It is very high pressure. Pass on the 10% off on all room charges and pay for your own massage. You will be thousands of dollars ahead. Just enjoy the resort on your first visit. You can always get another opportunity to go there.

Owners pass these along hoping you buy and they get their $1000+ Maintenance fee paid. That is what the Ambassador certificates are for. I would never give one to a friend or family member.

It is a great resort.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be prepared for a very hard sell. At the top of this forum, in pink is a thread about knowing what to expect in a Mexican timeshare presentation. You might be able to get free or discounted all-inclusive meals and drinks for your stay by attending, though I think your stay is deeply discounted to get you to attend the presentation. If it was me I'd practice saying, "No." NO, NO! NO!!! As to wasting a whole day, your certificate should say what the time commitment is to be , usually 1.5 hours or so, but if they detect the slightest interest, it can go on and on and on. The best defense is to simply not ask any questions and say that you are not prepared to make a decision now without researching he offer on TUG. They know us and that should help you escape.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
The use of the Ambassador certificates doesn’t require you to go through a presentation. If you do go, they will expect you to stay 90 minutes from when you sit down in the sales office with them after breakfast and a quick tour. They won’t be timing it of course; you’ll have to do that if you wind up being persuaded to go.

They have a great product to sell, but be sure you fully understand what you’re getting into if you even think about going to a presentation; they’re quite good at selling. Since you’re traveling there this time of year, I would guess you’re okay with traveling off-peak seasons. In my opinion, the only good reason to buy there is if you want to go in the high season (typically January to March). There are some very nice benefits at the higher levels of ownership, but quite a lot of ways to get there at the lower levels without buying through exchanging other TS if you have one or even Groupon (I heard).

The sales folks will pester you at check in and by phone to try to get you to attend; if you choose not to, be courteous and make up your own mind.

Restaurants at Vidanta NV cost about the same as in the US; they do sell a meal plan with tickets that are good for breakfast and for lunch/dinner that can be a better deal if you plan to eat out. It’s tough to get off the resort grounds, but can be done in order to get to other less expensive restaurants, though it’s likely better to save that for a later trip and just enjoy relaxing there now.

There’s a smart phone app for Vidanta resorts that is a good resource for events and generally has a few special offer discounts throughout the week as messages.

Hope that helps. I’ll be down there the first week of November as well; if you’re there then don’t hesitate to look me up for any questions.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You won’t get much at Vidante for $6000-$7000 upfront but I am sure they will try to upsell you something. Maybe you could get an EOY Mayan Palace that they will claim just came back from a previous buyer. You should ask on the Mexican forum.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
Eric gives great advice. I would just add, that if you are there the full week try to get out into town or on some adventures. The resort is fantastic and you will have plentiful options for meals for the full week. If you plan on eating at the resort restaurants, particularly the more upscale choices, get the meal plan booklet. It will save money.
In terms of some off the resort ideas: Nuevo Vallarta marina is close by and if you are mobile, you can walk along the beach (away from Pueryo Vallarta) to the jetty and then onto the road to get into the marina and some nice restaurant options. We like Eddies Place for a very casual meal. A tai into Puerta Vallarta is not too expensive. It is a bit of a hassle to take the shuttles to the taxi stand, but there will be taxis on call and it is about 20 - 30 minutes to get into PV depending on traffic. You can stroll along the Malecon, the beach boardwalk, and there are touristy shops and restaurants. Also. lots of restaurant choices in town off the Malecon from very local to very upscale. It you are adventurous, then you can go on one of the Vallarta Eats food tours. It is a walking tour at lunch or dinner and they will take you to many different local spots. It is a lot of fun and a great way to explore a new town.
Vallarta Adventures is located on the way to NV marina. They offer many tours in the area including snorkeling, scuba, boat, whale watching, ATV, jungle, tours and many more. We have had terrific experiences as their guides are usually exceptional.
The time share presentation is ALL day. By the time you have breakfast, do a tour and then sit in the sales room, it is 5 hours minimum. You will lose most of a whole day of your vacation.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
In addition to a taxi, you can catch a local bus from Nuevo Vallarta after walking up the beach. The bus stop is across from the OXXO store; to get to Puerto Vallarta you want the ATM bus that is labeled “directo,” the one labeled “Riu” heads north almost to Bucerias before going to PV. Cost is 17 or 18 pesos per person; there’s some walking involved but we do a lot anyway.

Ducati696

Reaction score
The use of the Ambassador certificates doesn’t require you to go through a presentation. If you do go, they will expect you to stay 90 minutes from when you sit down in the sales office with them after breakfast and a quick tour. They won’t be timing it of course; you’ll have to do that if you wind up being persuaded to go.

They have a great product to sell, but be sure you fully understand what you’re getting into if you even think about going to a presentation; they’re quite good at selling. Since you’re traveling there this time of year, I would guess you’re okay with traveling off-peak seasons. In my opinion, the only good reason to buy there is if you want to go in the high season (typically January to March). There are some very nice benefits at the higher levels of ownership, but quite a lot of ways to get there at the lower levels without buying through exchanging other TS if you have one or even Groupon (I heard).

The sales folks will pester you at check in and by phone to try to get you to attend; if you choose not to, be courteous and make up your own mind.

Restaurants at Vidanta NV cost about the same as in the US; they do sell a meal plan with tickets that are good for breakfast and for lunch/dinner that can be a better deal if you plan to eat out. It’s tough to get off the resort grounds, but can be done in order to get to other less expensive restaurants, though it’s likely better to save that for a later trip and just enjoy relaxing there now.

There’s a smart phone app for Vidanta resorts that is a good resource for events and generally has a few special offer discounts throughout the week as messages.

Hope that helps. I’ll be down there the first week of November as well; if you’re there then don’t hesitate to look me up for any questions.
Thanks Eric your information and advise is much appreciated.
A friend of mine purchased a membership at Vidanta, he has offered me a chance to review is contact and even provide me a copy of it so I would have a better understanding of cost associated with a membership.
We are going the first week of December.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmm; didn’t see all of the thread earlier. If you say you can afford $6-7k they’ll find something at that level, or at that level plus monthly payments, to offer you. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the resorts they run and have bought in at a high level, but do recommend a lot of caution unless you’re sure you want to buy in. In any case, I don’t think you would get much for that price point that you couldn’t get just by renting weeks from someone or buying a much less expensive TS and exchanging there.

Ducati696

Reaction score
Thanks again,
My friend provide me with 3 Ambassador Certificates so perhaps after using them I would have a good idea if my girlfriend and I would purchase a membership.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks again,
My friend provide me with 3 Ambassador Certificates so perhaps after using them I would have a good idea if my girlfriend and I would purchase a membership.

I assume you are using 1 Ambassador Cert. for this vacation . You may need to use your girlfriend’s
name when you book another .

I have seen ebay. listings saying - “ only bid on one - the resort restricts multiple usages under the same name .

{ I am not sure if this is the case / just an FYI - have your friend read the details }

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thank you for the information.
Will it help if I have a dollar amount that I would like to spend? If so, what could I get $6000-$7000.

First - I am not suggesting you buy .
BUT - for information purposes .

1 ) Vidanta sells “studios / master room”. which are hotel rooms ( no kitchenette / living room )
{and are the lock-off side of a 2 bedroom .} Per square foot the MF is higher .
IMO - this is like buying a car with no air conditioning / lower initial cost - but less use value .

2 ) the exit packages ( mentioned by tschwa2 )
These do NOT have as good a booking window . Therefore it is unlike you will be able to book Christmas through Easter . They sell them to newbies who are priced focused - who later find out that what they bought is only good for non -peak season .( when you can find all kinds of similar or better price deals for Vidanta and other Mexican vacation properties .)

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

2 ) the exit packages ( mentioned by tschwa2 )
These do do have as good a booking window . Therefore it is unlike you will be able to book Christmas through Easter . They sell them to newbies who are priced focused - who later find out that what they bought is only good for non -peak season .( when you can find all kinds of similar or better price deals for Vidanta and other Mexican vacation properties .)

LOL - he said “do do....”

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Yes - exit packages can be “do do “

if you don’t understand what you are getting .

I will edit my original post - thanks Eric .

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have any associates I dislike enough to send to a Vidanta (or really ANY timeshare) sales presentation without a significant warning about what they are getting into.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I’d say buy a cheap Marriott or Westin trader with a low MF and get exchanges or Getaways through II into Vidanta and the Mexicans resorts. That way, at least you have something tangible and you have flexibility.

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who would possibly spend $500K on a timeshare purchase? Even if it is a Grand Luxe. You would have to be a grand idiot.

Even at 25K a week, you can go away for 20 weeks. Plus not to mention the interest earned in the meantime.

Joe

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn’t characterize it as idiocy in such broad strokes. Some people have different motivations and desires than others, so I try to stay away from being pejorative. If they can afford it and want to, it funds resort construction and operation that benefits folks that want to exchange in. I haven’t spent that much, but recognize that I did spend a lot; I’ve got enough material goods at this point in my life and would rather blow my income on experiences.

The other point to make is that part of the sales model in many TS is the proverbial frog in a pot of water approach. If you turn the heat on low, the frog won’t notice. Same thing happens in TS upgrades over the years; it adds up to a lot of money, but some won’t notice it over the years because it’s spread out. At Vidanta, you could have bought in at Sea Garden and upgraded through the various levels.

Results may vary, of course. Just don’t think it’s right to call people with motivations that don’t match mine idiots.

Last edited: