• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In a Hawaiian state of mind? How about making your own spicy tuna poke?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
YES, YES YES. poke is the best. I’m in.

Errrr. Where I live there is no fresh tuna and poke is only good with fresh tuna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kapolei

Reaction score
YES, YES YES. poke is the best. I’m in.

Errrr. Where I live there is no fresh tuna and poke is only good with fresh tuna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most of the ahi poke sold in Hawaii in the supermarkets is of the previously frozen variety. That fish is not coming from Hawaii. That same fish could be shipped anywhere.

I make my own poke when I see fresh Ahi priced lower than than pre-frozen ahi poke on the shelf.

A poke craze in mainland USA is nothing I want to see happen. There is only a limited supply of fish.

Calyn79

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you always need to be more than mindful of the quality of the tuna - no parasites!!! More and more people are finding out they've encountered some type of parasite from eating sushi...I am one of them and parasites are a bitch to rid yourself of. Buy from the best and eat from the best, but even then you can't be too sure.

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've heard that when making anything with raw tuna or salmon, the fish should always be frozen first to kill the parasites. Can anyone verify this?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I've heard that when making anything with raw tuna or salmon, the fish should always be frozen first to kill the parasites. Can anyone verify this?

Yes. I had a fish parasite. We fish for both salmon and tuna. I think I got it from eating rawish fresh tuna or fresh smoked salmon. My brother in law had one too. I told my doctor that I was feeling kind of lethargic and thought it might be a parasite. He said he doubted that. I was told of an old de-worming method that the Amish use. Wormwood, cloves and walnut tincture. I used it, It worked.

Kind of gross but I did find a worm and took pictures and froze them. I called my doctors office and the receptionist said they didn't identify parasites. I called my dogs vet and they asked when Rex pooped it out. I told them it was from me and they said they didn't work on humans. At my next doctors appointment I showed the picture to my doctor and he asked me why I didn't bring it in so they could send it to pathology. I told him what that the receptionist said they didn't deal with these.

Yes, freezing fish kills the parasites. Occasionally you can see parasites on farm raised salmon at the stores. The reason they skin farm raised salmon is because the parasites live in the fatty area between the skin and meat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis#/media/File:Anisakiasis_01.png

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sorry for sharing the raw fish parasite story. :oops: Wasn't trying to kill the poke vibe.

I liked 1 part sriracha and 2 parts mayo with a little garlic salt and pepper mixed in a bowl of raw tuna chunks. Sometimes change the sriracha to teriyaki.

Bill

Kapolei

Reaction score
I'm sorry for sharing the raw fish parasite story. :oops: Wasn't trying to kill the poke vibe.

I liked 1 part sriracha and 2 parts mayo with a little garlic salt and pepper mixed in a bowl of raw tuna chunks. Sometimes change the sriracha to teriyaki.

Bill

tobiko or masago (fish roe) makes a nice topping to a spicy tuna bowl .... also you can use oyster sauce, sesame oil, onions

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I usually just use whats in the fridge. Most of the times my go to is plain ole soy sauce and black pepper. I like to wrap the poke in nori. This is my favorite poke. I like the same dealio with sushi. I guess the only difference between poke and sushi for me is the sushi is the better larger parts of the tuna and the poke is the scraps.

Bill