• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

In Miami Beach

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We stayed in one of the back 1BR's, which had a BR window that, IIRC, overlooked the pool of the hotel behind. I recall watching a large pool party there and thinking, "That looks like it'd be a lotta fun."

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
We love the Miami Beach Resort location and own 3 weeks there. We got into the HGVC timeshare system by finding the South Beach Property on 14th and Ocean Dr. which we consider the best part of the Art Deco District of Miami Beach. We bought there to go there every year for multiple weeks during the winter. Then we found Waikiki. If you like Miami Beach, and don't want to get a car when you vacation, and haven't been to the HGVC property in Honolulu that is the trip you need to make next year. It is somewhat further than Miami Beach for you just as it is for us in NY. But it is worth it.

Some people we know talk about going to Florida for a vacation and say that they get bored or after a few days find nothing to do. Well we didn't find that in Miami Beach. once you get to know Honolulu, as we do, you never run out of things to do. We have trouble sometimes deciding on what we will and won't do some days since there are 2 or 3 events that we want to do on the same day.
Planning for that trip to Hawaii now! Debating on split between the big island and Honolulu. This is our first time. Not owners but have a tour deal we bought (Hilton) Looks like this will take a lot of planning.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Planning for that trip to Hawaii now! Debating on split between the big island and Honolulu. This is our first time. Not owners but have a tour deal we bought (Hilton) Looks like this will take a lot of planning.
How long are you going for? Unless you can spend at least a week in each place I’d just concentrate on one location. I think there’s enough in either place to keep you busy for a month! Admittedly I’ve only been to HHV so far, for two weeks each time and there is so much to do. We are taking my DWs parents in April for a week on each island and I expect it is going to feel rushed to me because there is so much we want to show them. This is likely their only trip to Hawaii.

If you are planning on going more than once, take your time and really explore one location rather than trying to rush through everything in one trip. I can’t wait to retire and spend more time exploring the islands.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
How long are you going for? Unless you can spend at least a week in each place I’d just concentrate on one location. I think there’s enough in either place to keep you busy for a month! Admittedly I’ve only been to HHV so far, for two weeks each time and there is so much to do. We are taking my DWs parents in April for a week on each island and I expect it is going to feel rushed to me because there is so much we want to show them. This is likely their only trip to Hawaii.

If you are planning on going more than once, take your time and really explore one location rather than trying to rush through everything in one trip. I can’t wait to retire and spend more time exploring the islands.
Thank you, we can go for as long as 2 to 3 weeks and I am thinking this will be our one and only time ever to go to Hawaii. I don’t see us traveling there again. We would like to see as much as we can after not have to go back. Of course that may change after we get there ha ha

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a good thread in the Hawaii board about what to do on the big island. I’m using it for ideas for our trip. We’re staying at KL and I have booked a rental car for the week as parking is free there. I’m not getting a rental car for HHV as parking is ridiculously expensive there. There is a car rental place in HHV and one just across the road as well. We are planning to just rent on the days we have to go somewhere.

At the least there are a few places you must see on Oahu.
Polynesian Village for a whole day trip. Hanauma bay for snorkeling. Drive around the island day trip. Stop at north shore to watch surfers. Pearl Harbour. And just enjoy Waikiki beach. There is fireworks every Friday at HHV.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Talk about thread drift... from one ocean to the other.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lol! I was thinking the same thing.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Talk about thread drift... from one ocean to the other.
I think that I was most guilty of that, so let me see if I can help bring it back. We love Miami Beach because we can stay there without a car and enjoy the clubs, restaurants, and beach without worrying about drinking and driving. If you do have a car, which I don't recommend staying is South Beach, (There are many RCI resorts that you can stay in close by that don't have this great location if you want a car) go to the Everglades.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Guess a beach is a beach......

That's why we don't want to fly all the way to the Maldives to sit on a beach.
Miami feels different and appears to have cultural reasons to visit in addition to a beautiful beach.

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having never been to Miami Beach, is there much there for younger kids to do besides the beach? Are there amusement parks or playgrounds etc?

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
IMHO, Miami Beach is like NYC meets New Orleans on the beach. Fun place for adults, but not the best place for younger kids. You'll enjoy Orlando much more with younger kids.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Having never been to Miami Beach, is there much there for younger kids to do besides the beach? Are there amusement parks or playgrounds etc?

You'd want a car to visit this kid-friendly stuff...

Frost Museum of Science & Planetarium - a little south of downtown Miami
(the planetarium shows are top notch) -- https://www.frostscience.org

Miami Seaquarium - near Key Biscayne - mini Seaworld and swim w-dolphins.
-- https://www.miamiseaquarium.com/

Jungle Island (f/k/a Parrot Jungle) on Watson Island, between MB + downtown Miami.
-- reopening sometime this Spring.

Miami Zoo in South Dade County (near Homestead) - one of the top 10 in the country.
(take the tram tour) -- http://www.zoomiami.org/

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The very back units do have a window facing the back alley in the bedroom, in addition to the windows on the side of the unit (so an extra window in those units). The front-facing units are the only 2BR units, I believe.

Several years ago, we stayed in one of the back 1BR units for spring break w/ our (then) 10 y.o. daughter and had a great time. Not a typical HGVC resort, but plenty to do in the area. The rooms are a bit smaller than most other locations, and the door to the bedroom is just a pair of sliding doors so not much privacy from the living/kitchen area.

Kurt
Here is the back room with extra window.
fbe33feab13496a155c246e74a0cd2c7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
You'd want a car to visit this kid-friendly stuff...

Frost Museum of Science & Planetarium - a little south of downtown Miami
(the planetarium shows are top notch) -- https://www.frostscience.org

Miami Seaquarium - near Key Biscayne - mini Seaworld and swim w-dolphins.
-- https://www.miamiseaquarium.com/

Jungle Island (f/k/a Parrot Jungle) on Watson Island, between MB + downtown Miami.
-- reopening sometime this Spring.

Miami Zoo in South Dade County (near Homestead) - one of the top 10 in the country.
(take the tram tour) -- http://www.zoomiami.org/

I agree that you need a car for the kid-friendly stuff. The parking is very expensive in Miami Beach and the traffic is bad as it is in Honolulu. If you get a car and drive around the area you miss the best part of staying in Miami Beach It is a walkable fun area with restaurant and clubs all over the place. Great for adults, not so much for kids. If you have kids the City of Weston has some excellent timeshare units that can be reserved through RCI. We have an RCI timeshare there as well as our HGVC units. We have stayed there a number of times and you can get extra vacations and maybe lsat calls there so you don't need to use your points. When the economy was bad we stayed there for $150/week in December on an extra vacation. It is not that inexpensive now. I say the same thing about about Miami Beach that I do about Honolulu. If you must have a car, stay on some other island or somewhere else in Florida.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
How much notice do you need to book at Hilton Grand Vacations at McAlpin-Ocean Plaza as a HGVC Member for a long weekend getaway? I see there is never availability on the hotel web sites.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How much notice do you need to book at Hilton Grand Vacations at McAlpin-Ocean Plaza as a HGVC Member for a long weekend getaway? I see there is never availability on the hotel web sites.

It all depends on the demand for that time of the year and the specific weekend. If you have a specific weekend in mind I would book 9 months out when the club season opens. If you don't care what weekend then go on line and see what is available from 2 days out to 9 months out. I would always book 9 months out if I have specific dates. If you can't plan that far ahead then by starting days out and then searching uptown 9 months out you will get an idea of how far ahead you need to book.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Are you trying to book via Hilton hotel site or HGVC web site?
I'm currently going through closing with the Elara in Las Vegas, I'm waiting on ROFR. I live in Orlando, Florida. I'm just looking around and seeing what vacation I can take in the future for a quick weekend trip. I also own at the Grandview at Las Vegas and I'm with RCI points.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Congratulations and welcome. The Hilton hotel obviously doesn't show the same availability as what we see on the HGVC club web site. I see the next full weekend available for a 1-bd on July 6-9 (2880 pts). There are many during the week available dates.