• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Incentive for attending MVC presentations

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We were at Grande Chateau in Vegas last week for one night, before a business conference at Caesars. We bought there at GC 10 years ago (younger and naive) and believe it or not, never stayed there until now... always trade for other locations. Got to talking with the gal at the desk and was offered 35K MRP for a presentation. We usually go as we have become very comfortable saying no, and not feeling bad about it. We say no before we even start. Our thinking is that if they want to unpack the game, we are happy to play! They keep asking and we keep going.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Wait what? We're heading to Newport Coast on Saturday. I got a call two days ago inviting me to an owner's update with an option of a $75 American Express card or 10,000 MRP. Wow, now I feel really cheated and will cancel the appointment as soon as we arrive. I'm so glad that I checked TUG before leaving.

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received 3 $100 AMEX cards at Grand Vista earlier this month. DW hates the process, but it was cool and cloudy, and only 75 minutes. Can't even remember anything about it except getting the gift cards!!

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Boy, I'd sure like to see the algorithm that Marriott uses to "incentivize" (not sure if that's a word) members to sign up for a presentation. It seems to be all over the place from what we're seeing here (and what we've seen in the past personally). I guess almost everyone has their "price" that they will sacrifice some of their precious vacation time for to sit through a presentation. I know for us, that unless we can get a first thing in the AM time slot, we don't even consider doing the presentation, regardless of what is being offered.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
We received 3 $100 AMEX cards at Grand Vista earlier this month. DW hates the process, but it was cool and cloudy, and only 75 minutes. Can't even remember anything about it except getting the gift cards!!
Both times we've been to GV we've been offered $250 git cards or the MR equivalent of 30K points. Manor Club was like half that.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
For our upcoming trip to Desert Springs, they are only offering $100K visa card, 15K Marriott Bonvoy points or 2 rounds of golf. We normally would not go for $100 or 15K but 2 rounds of golf is somewhat valuable to us so we accepted it.

Interesting, for our stay (as you know) at DSV2, they are offering us:

2 rounds of golf + $100 Marriott gift card
$200 Marriott gift card
$200 in Marriott experience certs
30,000 MR points
400 vacation club points good for 2 years

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting, for our stay (as you know) at DSV2, they are offering us:

2 rounds of golf + $100 Marriott gift card
$200 Marriott gift card
$200 in Marriott experience certs
30,000 MR points
400 vacation club points good for 2 years
When was the last time that you attended one of these?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
A few months ago, we go all the time.

We also go all the time.

Maybe we should cancel our owners' update. ;) We attended one in Sept 2018 and thought maybe because this is too soon. We got 30K MRPs for that one.

That 30K will be my minimum going forward. My last two Vistana presentations provided 10K and 15K Starpoints so I'm expecting 30K - 45K BONVoY points or we will just stop attending as it isn't worth less than that for me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The value of 2 rounds of golf for us comes up to $148 (owner rate is $99, and we have to pay $25 for cart fees). We wish we could get 4 rounds which used to be the offer.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Can any incentive points be banked? My problem with taking them is generally by now, I already have the entire years points planned, which I do. So, them giving me points, if I cannot bank them, no way to use those points really. Already have flights, etc.
When I have been offered DC points as an incentive, they cannot be banked but they are good for 24 months from when they are posted to your account. Almost as good as banking.

Videoguy75

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jan 20th checked in to Harbor Lakes. Sent me to "Gift Desk" 10' from Registration. Offered me $375 in gift cards. I said, "Yes" and did not ask for other options. He gave me $300 on the spot, which I had spent by the time I got to the presentation. At the end of the 20 minutes over at Lakeshore, ("I was expecting to learn more about using my points for Hyatt or Westin - I cannot consider anything without that information") they gave me the other $75. $375 is worth my time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to circle back. I went back to the Shadow Ridge Marketing person asking why I was given a lower offer while others (Steve, without mentioning his name ;)) received a better offer. She said weeks only owners receive a lower offer while hybrid owners receive the better offer. I told her I am a hybrid owner and she apologized for the oversight and that she would check. She then said she went into the system and she had put in a better offer so it was a typo when she sent me the email. I know it was not an error as we had gone back and forth a couple of times because I really wanted the 4 rounds of golf which used to be an option.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to circle back. I went back to the Shadow Ridge Marketing person asking why I was given a lower offer while others (Steve, without mentioning his name ;)) received a better offer. She said weeks only owners receive a lower offer while hybrid owners receive the better offer. I told her I am a hybrid owner and she apologized for the oversight and that she would check. She then said she went into the system and she had put in a better offer so it was a typo when she sent me the email. I know it was not an error as we had gone back and forth a couple of times because I really wanted the 4 rounds of golf which used to be an option.

If that wasn't good enough, even though we just went to one here in Palm Desert, they want me to attend at Newport Beach next week, 35,000 points! Piling them up faster than usual so far this year.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simone on Facebook just reported receiving 40K MR points at the San Diego property.

Wonder what her algorithm showed. :)

Wonder if that was her original offer, or, she talked them up. On site, I have talked them up before. Likely differs by property too.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
Wonder if that was her original offer, or, she talked them up. On site, I have talked them up before. Likely differs by property too.
We were offered 50,000 MR points or
400 DPs for a sales pitch this coming April.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone on Facebook just reported receiving 40K MR points at the San Diego property.

Wonder what her algorithm showed. :)
Assuming we're looking at the same person she attended a roadshow in San Diego not an onsite sales presentation. Not the same thing at all.

I had the pleasure of attending one in NY a few years back and it was actually quite pleasant. A team of people came up from South Carolina and talked about MVCI with a roomful of about 40 of us. It was very low key and much of the 'presentation' was answering questions and allowing us to talk among ourselves. Yes, at the end they did one-on-ones showing us what we owned and how we could 'improve our vacation experience'...but there was zero pressure.

As it turned out I later bought a hybrid/bundle over the phone from one of them - she was a longtime salesrep who actually knew what she was talking about and helped me find the week with the lowest cost/MFs for the points I wanted.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Before our 4-day stay (last-minute weekday booking for only 900 DC points) at Newport Coast last week we were offered $250 or 30,000 MR on the phone but didn’t accept then because my wife never wanted to attend another presentation plus our primary reason we were there was to see our new 10-day old granddaughter just 10 minutes away from NCV in Irvine. Then when we were on site in person they offered us a presentation for $150 or 20,000 MR points. I told them of the phone offer and they immediately matched it!! So interesting based on the discussion above. My wife said she would go, if and only if, I “zipped” my mouth and not ask any questions whatsoever in order to get out of there quickly. We went, had a nice cordial conversation with our sales person, she asked us to buy a bundle and we cordially said no “because we can’t see any significant benefit moving up from Executive level”. We were done with everything including the Encore push in 55 minutes. Took the points and left. Moral: i now will most definitely listen to my wife’s advice before any future presentations!

Last edited:

Kelbel

Reaction score
We are in Park City and opted for 450 DPs for the tour. Does anyone know how long it takes for the points to go into an account? I asked but I cannot remember what they said. :) We need to fill in with one night in Aruba this year. I am hoping the points will do it. Thanks.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
Are 400 DP points better than 50,000 MR points?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are 400 DP points better than 50,000 MR points?

I don't think there's a definitive answer. They may or may not be. I value the MR points higher, but, it depends how you use either. You can use either one in manners that give higher or lower value. I imagine some might take either. For me, MR points.