• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Insurance Claims for Irma Cancellations

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to learn about the experiences other members are having in filing insurance claims for cancelled reservations and II exchanges at MVC resorts due to hurricane damage. I'm especially interested in those who were insured with MVC (Travelex and Vacation Guard.)

It is my understanding that the claim needs to be filed based on the week/year of the deposited week/points. Therefore, many claims will be using previous year policy. Please post your experiences regarding the type of reservation, the key components of the claim (MF fees, airline fees, etc), supporting documentations you need to provide, and compensation experiences. What happens if II provides a limited exchange certificate? Does that nullify your ability to be compensated for the MF's of you week?

I have an upcoming reservation for an II exchange for which I used a 2015 deposited week. If it is cancelled, i will likely use MR points for a hotel, but will expect to be compensated for my MF's for the deposited weeks.

I hope all of you who had disrupted travel plans are at least being reimbursed by the insurance. I'm getting ready to purchase my 2018 policy, but want to make sure the claims are actually being paid. Thanks.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
We filed our claim with Travelex about a week after we got home. The claim needed to file within 90 days of trip interruption. I just received a letter yesterday that they have contacted Marriott to calculation the value of he MVC points we lost the use of.

We left Marco Island on Wednesday during the voluntary evacuation which later became mandatory. We were scheduled to check out on Saturday. We ended up spending three days traveling to Charlotte, NC to catch a flight home. We had to reschedule our airline flights three times. We could have driven home faster and arrived home by the Thursday after we left. We were four adults and rented two hotel rooms each night during our adventure.

The car rental refunded any extra charges for not returning the car to Fort Myers airport (they were closed anyway). The airline rescheduled our flights at no additional cost. The prepaid hotel night we had reserved for Saturday night in Fort Myers refunded the money. The insurance company told us all the additional experiences we paid for hotel nights, gasoline and food will be reimbursed along with cash value of the lost MVC points usage. We used 2018 MVC points for reservation and lost Wednesday to Friday night at Marco Island. I sent them EVERYTHING, all hotel bills, gas & food receipts, copies of notices to evacuate, copies of my maintenance bills, e-mails for exchanging weeks for MVC, e-mail for MVC points reservation showing how many points I used and where they came from. Then I went a overboard and did the calculations showing the cash value of the MVC points lost.

It was an adventure and the hardest part was rescheduling the airline because by the time United called it there was nothing left. The worse part was they wouldn't put you on another airline until 24 hours before scheduled departure. What? That would have been WAY too late. Thank goodness we had rented a van and had a comfortable ride. We stayed off of most main highway and kept an eye on traffic with our smart phones. We were averaging 55 mph and not in traffic without any problem of finding gas. We made it to Savannah in 8 hours. Then to Charlotte in another 6 hours. Our smart phone were showing the highways were all backed up with traffic from the point where we would have gotten on 95 by Savannah all the way to Charlotte.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
There's a thread going on the Marriott Vacation Club International - Owners' Network Facebook Page by Vin Vizzo(Scroll down), about what happened to him with insurance due to a hurricane induced cancellation. I didn't get involved enough to understand the nuances, but it sounded like some folks were better off waiting to inside the 30-day window to cancel and insurance would cover, whereby his claim wasn't allowed. Probably worth a read...

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We filed our claim with Travelex about a week after we got home. The claim needed to file within 90 days of trip interruption. I just received a letter yesterday that they have contacted Marriott to calculation the value of he MVC points we lost the use of.

We left Marco Island on Wednesday during the voluntary evacuation which later became mandatory. We were scheduled to check out on Saturday. We ended up spending three days traveling to Charlotte, NC to catch a flight home. We had to reschedule our airline flights three times. We could have driven home faster and arrived home by the Thursday after we left. We were four adults and rented two hotel rooms each night during our adventure.

The car rental refunded any extra charges for not returning the car to Fort Myers airport (they were closed anyway). The airline rescheduled our flights at no additional cost. The prepaid hotel night we had reserved for Saturday night in Fort Myers refunded the money. The insurance company told us all the additional experiences we paid for hotel nights, gasoline and food will be reimbursed along with cash value of the lost MVC points usage. We used 2018 MVC points for reservation and lost Wednesday to Friday night at Marco Island. I sent them EVERYTHING, all hotel bills, gas & food receipts, copies of notices to evacuate, copies of my maintenance bills, e-mails for exchanging weeks for MVC, e-mail for MVC points reservation showing how many points I used and where they came from. Then I went a overboard and did the calculations showing the cash value of the MVC points lost.

It was an adventure and the hardest part was rescheduling the airline because by the time United called it there was nothing left. The worse part was they wouldn't put you on another airline until 24 hours before scheduled departure. What? That would have been WAY too late. Thank goodness we had rented a van and had a comfortable ride. We stayed off of most main highway and kept an eye on traffic with our smart phones. We were averaging 55 mph and not in traffic without any problem of finding gas. We made it to Savannah in 8 hours. Then to Charlotte in another 6 hours. Our smart phone were showing the highways were all backed up with traffic from the point where we would have gotten on 95 by Savannah all the way to Charlotte.

This must have been a very disappointing experience, but I'm glad you made the best of the situation. I'm impressed with the way you handled the situation and how you provided every detailed documentation in support of your claim. Since this was a 2018 point claim with Travelex, you should have no problem being reimbursed. It will be interesting to see if anyone has problems with claims for which they used a prior year deposit or points, or if Travel Guard and Travelex both offer positive claim experience. My claim will be for a 2015 deposited week for an II exchange. If my reservation is cancelled, I will at least expect to receive reimbursement for MF's. I have a backup reservation using 180K MR points for 5 nights at the Marriott resort, so I may also request the valet parking and resort fee reimbursement. I believe they should also pay me for 80K MR points (I would get 100K for my week if I had converted to MR points), but that may be difficult to quantify. I am still hopeful that my reservation isn't cancelled but MVC is providing absolutely no updates regarding the current status of the resort and Owners services know nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoffner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Cyress Harbor, Marriott Grande Vista,
We were at Oceana Palms, we left on Thursday the day they announced mandatory evacuations by Friday morning. We were scheduled to be there until the following Wednesday. We had booked using 2017 DP points and we filed a claim with Travelex about a week later. I called and have been told the amount of the check we are going to receive. It includes the six nights we lost at Oceana Palms under the cancellation portion of the policy. We live in North Carolina and the drive home usually takes about 10 hours, after 12 hours we had finally made it into South Carolina and decided to get a hotel, under the trip delay policy we were reimbursed for the night in the hotel and dinner at a restaurant.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been buying the MVC offered insurance policy every year since 2013. I was told that I had to have insurance in the year that my week (and MF's) were for in order to have coverage for a claim when I actually used the week (exchange or deposited DP points). Since my deposited week for my exchange was from 2015, I called the numbers on my 2015 policies. Vacation Guard was the company listed on the policy, but when I called the number, I was told to call Transamerica (underwriter). When I called that number, they found the policy but transferred to another number so I could inquire about claim coverage. I was transferred to claims, but they said the 2015 coverage was no longer valid, and that I had to call Travelex regarding the claim, since it occurred in 2017.

I tried calling Travelex, but gave up after being on hold for 20 minutes. It was a very frustrating experience. I am becoming concerned that they won't cover it because it was a 2015 week, and underwriters have changed. MVC reassured me when I purchased the insurance that my vacation would be covered as long as I had coverage during the years that the MF's were paid, but I will believe it when I see it. With all of the options for exchanging and banking points, actual vacations may occur 3 years after the paid year. I'll post an update after speaking with Travelex. Has anyone else filed a claim for II exchanges or points for weeks paid for in a prior year?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I had an exchange to Oceana Palms thru II that got cancelled.
I didn't have insurance but had one retrade left on the exchange.
They gave me a replacement week which is restricted to 30 days.
I ended up using it for Orlando and then retrading another week that
I had originally used for Orlando so it worked out okay, but had I not
been going to Orlando then that week would have been really hard
to use. I had to call in to do the free retrade exchange, couldn't
do it online.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does having the policy issued via MVC cover Interval trades? I know II offers their own. Will my MVC issued plan protect me ?

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been buying the MVC offered insurance policy every year since 2013. I was told that I had to have insurance in the year that my week (and MF's) were for in order to have coverage for a claim when I actually used the week (exchange or deposited DP points). Since my deposited week for my exchange was from 2015, I called the numbers on my 2015 policies. Vacation Guard was the company listed on the policy, but when I called the number, I was told to call Transamerica (underwriter). When I called that number, they found the policy but transferred to another number so I could inquire about claim coverage. I was transferred to claims, but they said the 2015 coverage was no longer valid, and that I had to call Travelex regarding the claim, since it occurred in 2017.

I tried calling Travelex, but gave up after being on hold for 20 minutes. It was a very frustrating experience. I am becoming concerned that they won't cover it because it was a 2015 week, and underwriters have changed. MVC reassured me when I purchased the insurance that my vacation would be covered as long as I had coverage during the years that the MF's were paid, but I will believe it when I see it. With all of the options for exchanging and banking points, actual vacations may occur 3 years after the paid year. I'll post an update after speaking with Travelex. Has anyone else filed a claim for II exchanges or points for weeks paid for in a prior year?
Your frustrations are understandable! Do you have a copy of the 2015 policy, and if so, what does it say about Claims deadlines? I am not sure if I have a copy of my policy for that year, but could look for it if you or others can't find a copy.

My understanding is the same as yours. I believe the 2015 policy should apply. Once I checked the policy, and confirmed the claims requirements, I would be inclined to escalate it with Transamerica. As necessary, I would then go to the State Insurance Commissioner in your state. You could go to MVC at the appropriate time, but I wouldn't hold out great hope (unless you could find something they published about no loss in coverage continuity as long as you continuously purchased the coverage they have recommended). Good luck.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think you should file a formal claim with both carriers (make sure you comply with the timing and documentation requirements). This will force both carriers to formally respond in writing. Then, assuming both are denying responsibility, I believe the applicable Insurance Commissioner will be sympathetic. Cheers.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just learned more 'wonderful':rolleyes: news about MVC's insurance coverage. I discovered MVC provided significant misinformation when I purchased my coverage and there is a lot of fine print in the policies (that weren't provided until after the purchase). I was told that my MVC weeks and points would be covered in the years in which they are actually used, as long as I had continuous coverage. I learned today that the coverage is only 2 years from the first date of coverage. That means that my 2015 week, reserved for 11/8/2015, was only covered through 12/31/16. Therefore, coverage for banked points and deposited II weeks will often expire before they are actually used.

I also learned about a limitation for the new Travelex policies (2017). If your destination resort is damaged by a hurricane or other storm, only cancellations during the first 30 days after the storm are covered. If you have a cancellation after that 30 day period it will not be covered. My reservation on 10/29 would not be covered because it is over 30 days after Irma. Many MVC resorts will be impacted long after this 30 day period and those owners will be SOL.

The 'lies' tendencies of MVC salesman are now being extended to owner services and MVC management. So much for corporate transparency.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone researched how Chase Sapphire Reserve card insurance would cover weeks if the maintence fees were paid on the card?

I had no idea of this 2 year coverage on the insurance. I’m in a situation that would be impacted by that.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned today that the coverage is only 2 years from the first date of coverage. That means that my 2015 week, reserved for 11/8/2015, was only covered through 12/31/16. Therefore, coverage for banked points and deposited II weeks will often expire before they are actually used.

I also learned about a limitation for the new Travelex policies (2017). If your destination resort is damaged by a hurricane or other storm, only cancellations during the first 30 days after the storm are covered. If you have a cancellation after that 30 day period it will not be covered. My reservation on 10/29 would not be covered because it is over 30 days after Irma. Many MVC resorts will be impacted long after this 30 day period and those owners will be SOL.

The 'lies' tendencies of MVC salesman are now being extended to owner services and MVC management. So much for corporate transparency.

As to when the coverage ends it's pretty clear in the policy. This is from the New York policy. I don't know what other states have in their policies. I couldn't find anything in the General description or the specific NY policy that referred to anything about a 30 day limit on hurricanes.

WHEN COVERAGE BEGINS

All coverages (except Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation and Post-Departure Trip Interruption) will take effect on the later of 1) the date the plan payment has been received by the Policyholder; 2) the date and time you start your Covered Trip; or 3) 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your Covered Trip.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation coverage will take effect at 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the day after the date your plan payment is received by the Policyholder. Post-Departure Trip Interruption coverage will take effect on the Scheduled Departure Date.

WHEN COVERAGE ENDS

Your coverage automatically ends on the earlier of:

(1) the date the Covered Trip is completed;

(2) the Scheduled Return Date;

(3) your arrival at the return destination on a round-trip, or the destination on a one-way trip;

(4) cancellation of the Covered Trip covered by the plan.

All coverages under the plan will be extended if your entire Covered Trip is covered by the plan and your return is delayed by unavoidable circumstances beyond your control.

TAHC5000GCS.NY 3

If coverage is extended for the above reasons, coverage will end on the earlier of the date you reach your originally scheduled return destination or seven (7) days after the Scheduled Return Date.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just learned more 'wonderful':rolleyes: news about MVC's insurance coverage. I discovered MVC provided significant misinformation when I purchased my coverage and there is a lot of fine print in the policies (that weren't provided until after the purchase). I was told that my MVC weeks and points would be covered in the years in which they are actually used, as long as I had continuous coverage. I learned today that the coverage is only 2 years from the first date of coverage. That means that my 2015 week, reserved for 11/8/2015, was only covered through 12/31/16. Therefore, coverage for banked points and deposited II weeks will often expire before they are actually used.

It does seem extremely poor that an insurance policy designed specifically for Marriott Vacation Club does not offer cover across the range of options and period they offer for owners to borrow, book, bank...etc
Perhaps I now feel just a little less bad that as a non US resident I am not even eligible for it.
I do still feel very sorry though for all those who now find that the cover is not what they expected, even if the detailed Ts & Cs do state this.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to make several phone calls to get the information because two different companies provided the MVC insurance over the last few years. When I originally purchased the policy, I was told that the current year policy would cover the trip, as well as the MF for the week in which the week had been paid for, as long as I had continuous coverage for all the years. Therefore, I thought the 2017 policy would cover the trip, and would pay for my 2015 MF's for the deposited week. This would make sense since our II deposits and banked points can be used over a 3 year period. The '30 day from storm' limit makes absolutely no sense and was never communicated.

I've learned the hard way not to trust MVC. Limited information was available when I purchased the policy, and there was no opportunity to actually review the policy until after it was purchased. I asked specific detailed questions to the Travelex rep regarding the timing of coverage when I was purchasing it. They provided detailed answers and understood exactly what I was asking, so others were also probably misled regarding coverage. I never thought of asking about the 30 day limit.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
For better or worse I never bought trip interruption or trip cancellation insurance. My reasoning was that I figured the company providing the insurance would find a way to deny the claim and screw me.

George

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
For better or worse I never bought trip interruption or trip cancellation insurance. My reasoning was that I figured the company providing the insurance would find a way to deny the claim and screw me.

George
I've been buying it for several years and filed two successful claims for cancelled timeshare trips a few years ago without any problems. My father-in-law was in his 90's so I thought we should have it the past 3 years. I'm glad I learned this information prior to buying it for 2018. I think the big change is that the new MVC really can't be trusted, since their focus is on revenue growth, not ownership satisfaction. Previous management realized that the owners/customers are the key to long term profits.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to when the coverage ends it's pretty clear in the policy. This is from the New York policy. I don't know what other states have in their policies. I couldn't find anything in the General description or the specific NY policy that referred to anything about a 30 day limit on hurricanes.

WHEN COVERAGE BEGINS

All coverages (except Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation and Post-Departure Trip Interruption) will take effect on the later of 1) the date the plan payment has been received by the Policyholder; 2) the date and time you start your Covered Trip; or 3) 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your Covered Trip.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation coverage will take effect at 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the day after the date your plan payment is received by the Policyholder. Post-Departure Trip Interruption coverage will take effect on the Scheduled Departure Date.

WHEN COVERAGE ENDS

Your coverage automatically ends on the earlier of:

(1) the date the Covered Trip is completed;

(2) the Scheduled Return Date;

(3) your arrival at the return destination on a round-trip, or the destination on a one-way trip;

(4) cancellation of the Covered Trip covered by the plan.

All coverages under the plan will be extended if your entire Covered Trip is covered by the plan and your return is delayed by unavoidable circumstances beyond your control.

TAHC5000GCS.NY 3

If coverage is extended for the above reasons, coverage will end on the earlier of the date you reach your originally scheduled return destination or seven (7) days after the Scheduled Return Date.
Thanks for that! How do you interpret this in light of the aforementioned ostensible 2 year limitation?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Superchief.... Unfortunately, the 2 year restriction is consistent with my notes attached in post #80 in this thread from years ago....
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/vacationguard-insurance-mvc-insider-10-13.200588/

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the big change is that the new MVC really can't be trusted, since their focus is on revenue growth, not ownership satisfaction. Previous management realized that the owners/customers are the key to long term profits.

Nothing new here. I bailed on my four Marriott Weeks some 20+ years ago when they devalued their rental program, their sales program and modified the Marriott Rewards Points a Week was worth. Even way back then it was all for Marriott Corporate not owners/customers.

George

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
It does seem extremely poor that an insurance policy designed specifically for Marriott Vacation Club does not offer cover across the range of options and period they offer for owners to borrow, book, bank...etc

This is what I find disappointing/disturbing. Every time you make reservation via phone, they offer this travel insurance. Yet, given the several options and timing people have for using their weeks/points, it is entirely possible the insurance will not be usable. We have purchased it every year for years, and I was told on many occasions, it would stay in force until the covered weeks/points were used, and this information came both from the MVC and insurance company personnel. So I feel mislead, despite the "fine print", which I often find confusing and deliberately unclear...this could be just me though.

I wish MVC would set standards for travel insurance which clearly supports their owners' usage options of their weeks/points before contracting with a company to provide coverage every year. But I guess they look at this as a convenience to owners, which may or may not pay off, and may frequently be a waste of money for the owners. They really don't care. Disappointing

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief.... Unfortunately, the 2 year restriction is consistent with my notes attached in post #80 in this thread from years ago....
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/vacationguard-insurance-mvc-insider-10-13.200588/
The timing of coverage never was very clear for the old Vacation Guard plan, and the company and plan changed to Travelex for 2017. I, like others in the thread, was told that I would be covered for the duration of my weeks/points usage as long as I had policies for each of the years. I reviewed my old Vacation Guard document (which wasn't provided until after I paid for the policy), and couldn't find any clause specifying the precise timing. Based on my discussions with the VG rep at the time, my reserved week for 11/2/2015 would be covered in 2017 as long as I had coverage in both years. It was never clear whether the 2017 policy or the 2015 policy would cover my 2017 week using 2015 week.

Now I am encountering two problems:
2015 policy won't cover it because they say cancellation had to be within two years of the policy start date of Jan 1, 2015 which effectively makes it only a 1 year policy because our weeks/points can be used throughout the year. (Points can be banked for 2 years so basically there is no coverage for the 2nd year)
2017 policy won't cover it because the cancellation of my 10/29 week would occur more than 30 days after the storm. This restriction makes no sense and will impact many policy owners whose trips are cancelled at MFC, Chrysto Shores and Ocean Pointe.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

George
I don't understand this. If not for Trip Interruption or Trip Cancellation why would you buy insurance at all?

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that! How do you interpret this in light of the aforementioned ostensible 2 year limitation?
I posted what the policy states. I think it's pretty clear. No one has posted anything but rumor about any two year or thirty day restrictions.

I've had two experiences with the MVC travel insurance so far and both have been positive. I've yet to read a post on TUG of someone having a claim denied for a non-valid reason.