• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Insurance for foreign travel

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Right at the outset, i don't know how this will work out. I'll post as it does.

DW and I have been in Germany for a week. We flew in on United from Chicago. No broken guitars or dead dogs. We stayed in Munich 4 days, saw the sights, drank some biers, went to 'Mad King Ludwig's' Neuschwanstein castle. Climbing up to it, I became winded. Going down we were caught in.a summer, monsoon-like rain deluge. We had the sense to be inside a horse drawn carriage.

Next day, we went by train to the city of Ulm, where in 1966-68, I was stationed in the US Army. I.haven't been back since, and saw that 50 years even.makes a difference in a medieval city. Still some shortness of breath.

Next day to Nuremburg, leisurely visit the old parts and huge parade grounds where some world changing speeches transpired. We boarded AMAWaterways AMADANTE for Luxembourg.

I still couldn't keep up and was convinced to 'Go get a scan' in Wurzburg at 'Germany's best hospital - even if it was built in 1520. Long story short(er) the ER triage doc took me right to a cardiologist who said, "You're not leaving- that will be 33 Euros".

This about 4pm Saturday. The ship would only be there another half hour. The tour manager had accompanied us until English speaking docs took over, then took my wife to the shop to pack for both of us and depart the ship. The AMA local agent took her and our bags to a hotel near the hospita!. Meanwhile, they located a pacemaker, assembled a team and prepped me for surgery!

Overnight, AMA had alerted Global Alert (Insurance), and when I awoke, with new pacemaker, I had a shief of papers to fill out, and the doc and to put already reserved flight info.

So, that's where it stands now. Ins. Is in direct with the hospital and cruise line for transport home.

Bottom line: you don't know when your good health will come crashing down. But you can insure that when it does (and eventually will for everyone) it doesn't take your assets with it. We have more timeshare trips booked, and another European trip coming up.

I'll update this as it develops.

Jim

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Right at the outset, i don't know how this will work out. I'll post as it does.

DW and I have been in Germany for a week. We flew in on United from Chicago. No broken guitars or dead dogs. We stayed in Munich 4 days, saw the sights, drank some biers, went to 'Mad King Ludwig's' Neuschwanstein castle. Climbing up to it, I became winded. Going down we were caught in.a summer, monsoon-like rain deluge. We be sense to be inside a horse drawn carriage.

Next day, we went by train to the city of Ulm, where in 1966-68, I was stationed in the US Army. I.haven't been back since, and saw that 50 years even.makes a difference in a medieval city. Still some shortness of breath.

Next day to Nuremburg, leisurely visit the old parts and huge parade grounds where some world changing speeches transpired. We boarded AMAWaterways AMADANTE for Luxembourg.

I still couldn't keep up and was convinced to 'Go get a scan' in Wurzburg at 'Germany's best hospital - even if it was built in 1520. Long story short(er) the ER triage doc took me right to a cardiologist who said, "You're not leaving- that will be 33 Euros".

This about 4pm Saturday. The ship would only be there another half hour. The tour manager had accompanied us until English speaking docs took over, then took my wife to the shop to pack for both of us and depart the ship. The AMA local agent took her and our bags to a hotel near the hospita!. Meanwhile, they located a pacemaker, assembled a team and prepped me for surgery!

Overnight, AKA had alerted Global Alert (Insurance), and when I awoke, with new pacemaker, I had a shief of papers to fill out, and the doc and to put already reserved flight info.

So, that's where it stands now. Ins. Is in direct with the hospital and cruise line for transport home.

Bottom line: you don't know when your good health will come crashing down. But you can insure that when it does (and eventually will for everyone) it doesn't take your assets with it. We have more timeshare trips booked, and another European trip coming up.

I'll update this as it develops.

Jim

Wow, Jim! So sorry this happened to you! As you said- just when you least expect it! And- right- this is why you must have good travel and health insurance. Safe trip back!

PS Maybe you should take it easy for awhile instead of jumping to the next trip overseas.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Jim - sorry that this happened to you. I hope that you are feeling better now. It's scary when it hits. We did an overnight at the ICU on the Big Island - they ruled out stent failure and diagnosed a reaction to meds so we were able to stay - but the vacation was over.

Good idea to share your experience with the insurance. Thank goodness you had it.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Best wishes for a sound recovery.

German Medical Staff and Hospitals are excellent. My wife came down with Pneumonia enroute to Bonn in 2004. She was treated in the ICU because that had the largest English speaking staff. Excellent care and a full recovery after a three day stay. Insurance covered everything including a 500€ payment out of pocket to “ransom” my wife.

Cheers

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Hope you will be on your feet soon for your next travel adventure. Sorry to hear about your mishap.

Thanks for sharing your story. A good wake-up call.

Can you share some details as to the brand of insurance you had and what kind of coverage? Did they cover your medical evacuation back to the U.S.?

My DH and I need to be more vigilant about health and the travel insurance options out there are confusing.

I believe we would be covered by Kaiser if it was in the U.S. Have been to several ERs in the U.S. for various family maladies and Kaiser always picked up the bill with no questions asked. International not covered so need to consider options.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. There are still a lot of moving parts. How long they will keep me? whether we can use original long haul flight even if missing a flight to catch it? Who pays what? There is excellent English speaking staff, and the hospital is a former convent and palace on beautiful grounds

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thanks all. There are still a lot of moving parts. How long they will keep me? whether we can use original long haul flight even if missing a flight to catch it? Who pays what? There is excellent English speaking staff, and the hospital is a former convent and palace on beautiful grounds
Best Wishes for a speedy recovery and good luck going through the insurance hoops.

Warm regards,

Richard

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you share some details as to the brand of insurance you had and what kind of coverage? Did they cover your medical evacuation back to the U.S.?

Brand is in OP. We don't know the rest. Stay tuned.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Jim, so sorry this happened. Thank goodness you have had access to good medical care. Take care of yourself.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All the best to a speedy recovery. I thought you have GeoBlue Trekker and MedJet, is this Global Alert insurance in addition to these 2 or instead of these 2?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
All the best to a speedy recovery. I thought you have GeoBlue Trekker and MedJet, is this Global Alert insurance in addition to these 2 or instead of these 2?
Hello, all-- Jim's DW here to answer a few questions. This will be our third travel insurance claim. First was last minute cancellation due to my medical issues (100% recovery). Second was loss due to flight cancellation (full recovery as well). Both claims were made after the trip, and neither situation required carrier assistance (just send the check, please). I buy our insurance at squaremouth.com. I have no loyalty to any one carrier. They are all underwritten by the same 3 companies, and the policy and carrier names seem to be always changing. The coverages are all similar (and easy to compare) but curiously the prices vary dramatically. Square mouth has a zero complaint policy. Now we are finding out what the carrier does beside sending a check. Our cruise manager while moving me off the boat to a hotel called the carrier and started the claim so I would have a claim number for expedited service. By this morning Jim had paperwork to fill out indicating that a company named On Call was already working with the hospital. Ama also called to verify that had happened (all on a Sunday). They will both follow the case and get us home when Jim can travel. The policy I bought this time is Global Alert. More later.
Paula

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hello, all-- Jim's DW here to answer a few questions. This will be our third travel insurance claim. First was last minute cancellation due to my medical issues (100% recovery). Second was loss due to flight cancellation (full recovery as well). Both claims were made after the trip, and neither situation required carrier assistance (just send the check, please). I buy our insurance at squaremouth.com. I have no loyalty to any one carrier. They are all underwritten by the same 3 companies, and the policy and carrier names seem to be always changing. The coverages are all similar (and easy to compare) but curiously the prices vary dramatically. Square mouth has a zero complaint policy. Now we are finding out what the carrier does beside sending a check. Our cruise manager while moving me off the boat to a hotel called the carrier and started the claim so I would have a claim number for expedited service. By this morning Jim had paperwork to fill out indicating that a company named On Call was already working with the hospital. Ama also called to verify that had happened (all on a Sunday). They will both follow the case and get us home when Jim can travel. The policy I bought this time is Global Alert. More later.
Paula

Thanks for the info., Paula! And nice to meet you here on TUG!

uop1497

Reaction score
I hope you will have a very quick recovery .
Paula

I hope Jim will have a very quick recovery .

Thanks for information about travel insurance. If you do not mind, I like to know if you buy the insurance per trip .
I checked squaremouth.com and it show the whole list of travel company name, not sure which one to select. I do not see Global Alert company in the search list.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sorry this happened on your trip Jim. We are going to France in October, bought travel insurance and we are going on the AMA Lyra. Going with some other TUG members. Looking forward to it. You are right to advise all to get travel insurance, you never know what can happen.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Silentg

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
More... Rough night Sunday. Little sleep. Expected near 90 today and no a/c. Cardiologist came in pronounced that I have pneumonia. They are experienced at dealing with these things for people around the world - and importantly -getting them on airplanes. Hospital admin is in touch w/travel insurance for direct payment. They put me in a semi private deluxe room, then said for the next few days it'll be 78 € a day. We will submit English invoice to our Advantage carrier.

I am on full time O2 , so I got an extension hose so I can roam in the room a little. So far my best clue is that their pneumonia plan is 5 days. I am swelled up like a grape- or maybe blowing up a rubber glove. They can't just tank me up on water pills because that would flush electrolytes.

More as it happens.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you will have a very quick recovery .

I hope Jim will have a very quick recovery .

Thanks for information about travel insurance. If you do not mind, I like to know if you buy the insurance per trip .
I checked squaremouth.com and it show the whole list of travel company name, not sure which one to select. I do not see Global Alert company in the search list.

Yes, I buy by the trip. I use the squaremouth compare utility to select the policy with the coverage I want at the best price.
Paula

BagsArePacked

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Jim and Paula,
Wishing you much rest and a full recovery. A very difficult situation to be in but you both are handling it so well. Thank you for sharing so that we may all benefit. You are such a valued member here on Tug and I appreciate your posts.

With Aloha
Christine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
More.... Today, 7/23 I attempted a shower and ended up staggering back to the bed, naked, soaped and wet, to shove the O2 into my nose before I went back. Paula came in and soon the hospital admin came in, we did the papers for them to be paid by insurance directly. They also said that mine is a deluxe room w/extra snacks & tea. And would be 78€ a day. I could go to a ward, but they couldn't show us one, so I'm staying.

By and by the US trained (LA's Cedars Sinai) head of Cardio came in and said that I have congestive heart failure (chf), and that I will be here at least another week before I can fly. Remember that shower episode at the top of this thread? Well by this afternoon, I took off the O2 and my breathing is the best since leaving home. They have me an IV diuretic, and cut my water intake to 1.5 l- it will be 90 by Wed. He upped water to 2 full liters!!! Did I mention the part about no a/c? I see some changes in life going forward.

Anyway we hope to talk to insurance's travel coordinators. To get a feel for what to expect. We are covered up to $1/4 m. So it ought to cover lie down business class and maybe a nurse.

But first, I have to get well enough to be released to fly. Airplanes are only pressurized to 8,000ish feet, so maybe a concentrator can be rented or provided. Or not needed in a week.

Thats today's update. More as something happens.

Jim

Last edited:

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
Sorry this is happening to you away from home. Rest up and get better!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
More.... Today, 7/23 I attempted a shower and ended up staggering back to the bed, naked, soaked and wet, to shove the O2 into my nose before I went back. Paula came in and soon the hospital admin came in, we did the papers for them to be paid by insurance directly. They also said that mine is a deluxe room w/extra snacks & tea. And would be 78€ a day. I could go to a ward, but they couldn't show us one, so I'm staying.

By and by the US trained (LA's Cedars Sinai) head of Cardio came in and said that I have congestive heart failure (chf), and that I will be here at least another week before I can fly. Remember that shower episode at the top of this thread? Well by this afternoon, I took off the O2 and my breathing is the best since leaving home. They have me an IV diuretic, and cut my water intake to 1.5 l- it will be 90 by Wed. He upped water to 2 full liters!!! Did I mention the part about no a/c? I see some changes in life going forward.

Anyway we hope to talk to insurance's travel coordinators. To get a feel for what to expect. We are covered up to $1/4 m. So it ought to cover lie down business class and maybe a nurse.

But first, I have to get well enough to be released to fly. Airplanes are only pressurized to 8,000ish feet, so maybe a concentrator can be rented or provided. Or not needed in a week.

Thats today's update. More as something happens.

Jim

Holy cow, Jim! What a fiasco for you (and Paula) to have to go through! So sorry! This is so crazy but I guess it shows how fragile a person's health can be! One thing after another suddenly. Yikes! I hope you get well enough soon to get back to the USA, but thankfully it sounds like you are getting excellent care in Germany for now.

Keep us posted.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, hope you feel better soon. Do you have both CHF and pneumonia? Is the lack of a/c where you are due to pneumonia?
Yep. Both. But my pneumonia has nothing to do with the hospital 's not having air conditioning. The palace/convent that became this place was started in 1520. It generally is not needed, but right now Europe is in a heat wave. Near 90 expected.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep. Both. But my pneumonia has nothing to do with the hospital 's not having air conditioning. The palace/convent that became this place was started in 1520. It generally is not needed, but right now Europe is in a heat wave. Near 90 expected.
Ah. Hang in there and get better soon!

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paula, Jim,

I know you both have been looking forward to this trip now for months. Sorry to hear this happened smack in the middle of your River Cruise.
Sounds like you are in good hands in Germany.

All I wish is for a Speedy Recovery for you Jim. Also for a safe trip back to Idaho!

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole reason for posting all this is as a cautionary tale of what CAN happen when traveling, along with accidents and unexpected occurances. We, along with lots of TUGgers are just on Medicare - that doesn't cover medical outside the US. My supplement SAYS they will ' cover up to what Medicare covers as long as you provide itemized invoice in English.' Great! Just try to get that translation done across medications and procedures with different names.

This care I am getting would be entirely at my expense without travel medical insurance. For this trip, it was about $720, for two, to cover $14,000 of trip cost. Then you have to dig for the medical and evacuation benefits. When done, they may pay many hundreds of thousands.

When planning a trip, and buying insirance, it's about more than the low cost.

Jim

Last edited: