• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Insurance for foreign travel

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear things worked out for your Jim. We didn't guy insurance one year and, of course, I needed it as we were unable to travel due to illness. TG we always purchase now. Just got our check for the cruise we had to cancel due to my husband's diagnosis of cancer. It had to be treated right away and we were just a little over the 30 days out. Regent paid what was due and then our insurance company paid the rest promptly. We had a lot of documentation and actually faxed 17 pages of info lol! DH is doing well but is in treatment. Outcome is predicted to be very good as it was caused by HPV. That's a story for another thread I'm going to start.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got our check for the cruise we had to cancel due to my husband's diagnosis of cancer. It had to be treated right away and we were just a little over the 30 days out.. . . . DH is doing well but is in treatment. Outcome is predicted to be very good as it was caused by HPV.

Travel insurance is an absolute necessity. Traveling without it is simply playing Russian Roulette. Glad your husband's cancer was found and in time for effective treatment. Wishing you more safe travels.

Jim

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Wife and I had a beer with Jim & Paula a few days after they returned and they BOTH looked GREAT. I'm a firm believer in travel ins too!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We got notified by email yesterday that one adjuster had received our larger claim ($10,000ish for trip interruption and to cancel another trip) and that they settle them in order, and a number to call and check progress. Today a letter comes in the mail from a different entity that THEY have passes it on to another outfit. Also I got my medical bill from the German hospital. ($12,500) They said that OnCall had said that they (the hospital) should have ME pay them by bank transfer then submit to them for reimbursement.

Anyone who thinks a travel insurance medical claim will ALL be taken care of easily and automatically is sorely mistaken. Carriers change, policies are updated, different entities suddenly emerge. It's like everyone is standing in a circle saying that it's someone else's responsibility.

OTOH, the cost of getting a pacemaker installed where I did, all-in, is less than half the cost of the lowest price I've seen in the USA. And that for a top-line, American made unit. The problem is the insurance, not the medical care.

Jim

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim.

Glad you are continuing to stay healthy.

Crazy maze tangled web of insurance partners under the covers.
We got notified by email yesterday that one adjuster had received our larger claim ($10,000ish for trip interruption and to cancel another trip) and that they settle them in order, and a number to call and check progress. Today a letter comes in the mail from a different entity that THEY have passes it on to another outfit. Also I got my medical bill from the German hospital. ($12,500) They said that OnCall had said that they (the hospital) should have ME pay them by bank transfer then submit to them for reimbursement.

Anyone who thinks a travel insurance medical claim will ALL be taken care of easily and automatically is sorely mistaken. Carriers change, policies are updated, different entities suddenly emerge. It's like everyone is standing in a circle saying that it's someone else's responsibility.

OTOH, the cost of getting a pacemaker installed where I did, all-in, is less than half the cost of the lowest price I've seen in the USA. And that for a top-line, American made unit. The problem is the insurance, not the medical care.

Jim

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim
Hence in posts in other thread is to look at something like GeoBlue in the future. GeoBlue has network of doctors and hospitals that bill GeoBlue directly. We have not used them yet, touch wood, but I did look up list of doctors when I went to Singapore in March and found 30+ doctors in their network.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hence in posts in other thread is to look at something like GeoBlue in the future. GeoBlue has network of doctors and hospitals that bill GeoBlue directly. We have not used them yet, touch wood, but I did look up list of doctors when I went to Singapore in March and found 30+ doctors in their network.
That may be closer to a seamless coverage, but at a cost. GeoBlue is a BCBS outfit. No doubt that going to a pre-approved, in-network provider would be preferable- but sometimes you just don't have the time to look in a manual or website to find out who to call. I looked at their website, and on filling out an application, the first question asked was 'Do you have Primary Coverage?' I didn't pursue it further as I was just filling out a 'trial' to compare. Am I happy with the way we are being shunted around and mislead by the current 'nest of thieves'. I'm confident that in the end it will work out. Paula is tenacious at dealing with this type thing, but we wonder how people who are not lawyers and may be unused to standing their ground and demanding satisfaction would deal with the bureaucracy.

We bought the insurance we have through www.squaremouth.com who says they have a 'Zero Complaint' policy. So far we haven't turned in a report or review on our satisfaction. Time will tell. We are only about 6 weeks into this entire ordeal, and the claims have only left our hands within the past week- in fact I just got the medical bill today.

I'll keep the thread going as things develop.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been about six weeks since the outset of our 'adventure' through overseas trip interruption and healthcare, and the insurance payoff is trickling in. The first was the direct payment to the airlines to get us home. That included the Rescue Nurse accompaniment with oxygen for me, car and driver hire for her from Frankfurt and for us back to the airport. My (and the nurse's) Business class flights from Frankfurt to final destination at home, and Paula's economy ticket- we upgraded her to Economy Comfort at our expense. We haven't seen the cost of that but estimate those last-minute tickets at $20,000.

We were just notified by the travel insurance's claim adjuster that his portion (trip interruption) of the bills had been approved. They are refunding us half the cost of our round-trip airfare (we didn't use the return portion). They are refunding 6 days of our 7 day river cruise. They are refunding us the maximum ($1,000) for trip interruption to apply to Paula's hotel bill while I was in the hospital. Approx. $8,300. I said in post 130 that the first claim submitted was about $10,000 but some of that was moved over to the medical claim, so the trip interruption was educed to $8300ish.

We still have the medical portion of the bill to submit and be paid for. We expect to get a call from the medical claims adjuster next week. I just got the hospital bill last week. (+-9,600 Euros + about 700 Euros for my 'Deluxe' semi-private room) It will be about $12,500 when all said and done. It may not be settled for several more weeks, and I'll post when the checks come in. Interestingly, the lowest price I've seen in the US for a pacemaker installation, angiography (with balloon or stents) and echocardiogram looks to be about $50K to $105,000. No wonder this hospital in Germany has a good number of American patients!

So if you think you want to look at bills like these for an unexpected medical problem that could pop up on your overseas trip, just keep that ($360 each) premium in your travel wallet. And it could be a whole lot worse if one is beset with a serious medical emergency in a 3rd world country without state-of-the-art medical care.

Jim

Last edited:

philemer

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Thanks for the update, Jim. Looks positive so far. We're doing a Caribbean cruise this winter and just purchased our Ins. through squaremouth.com site. $170 total for 2 of us.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so glad that you are okay.

I stumbled across this thread while looking for information on travel insurance. Ian has a heart condition and we are traveling to Cuba on a three day cruise in November. I have already made one major mistake in not getting the travel insurance when I paid the deposit for the cruise.

The information that you have included in invaluable!

elaine

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so glad that you are okay.

I stumbled across this thread while looking for information on travel insurance. Ian has a heart condition and we are traveling to Cuba on a three day cruise in November. I have already made one major mistake in not getting the travel insurance when I paid the deposit for the cruise.

The information that you have included in invaluable!

elaine
Thanks, Elaine.
Yeah, it's a pretty good read- if a bit lengthy. It has worked out great. I'm better than I was in early July leaving. There were some signs I may have missed, but after the 'Pro's from Wurzburg' got hold of me, they weren't about to let me out of there until they were sure I wouldn't be back for anything they might have neglected.I

Yes, you should have checked two boxes as regards travel insurance. One, you are buying it anyway, so you'd just as well buy it at the same time as you commit, and pay the deposit. And two, that you make sure the medical coverage is PRIMARY. Then you don't get in any argument about who pays what. And no reimbursement hassles.

I expect to get with my medical insurance claims person this week (just got the hospital bill in German last week) and a time frame on when I can expect the hospital to be paid. The hospital said I should bank transfer them payment then get reimbursed by insurance. I told them I didn't have $12,000 just laying around to send them. :) We'll see how it works out.

Good luck on your Cuba trip. It should be a lot of fun. We went to Prague, Warsaw, Berlin and Budapest right after the collapse of Russia and E. Germany. Very memorable!

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the check came! Finally. We are still waiting for my medical bill ($11,500ish) to be paid. The insurance carrier told us that they 'usually' have the patient just pay the provider directly then reimburse from insurance. In my case, sure, I COULD pay it, but since all my 'ready cash' from which to make this large a payout would come from IRA funds, it would create a fairly major tax consequence (we won't be itemizing this year due to the rejiggering of the tax tables) So at last report, the adjuster was going to her supervisor to get authorization to pay the hospital directly. Stay tuned.

So we have received what we are getting for the whole adventure. We submitted a claim for 7- of the 9 days of the river cruise we were unable to use, and the unused return flights. The total was $8300ish, and they paid us $7300ish. We got dinged $500 each because 'medical' is not an allowable reason for trip interruption.

In the end, for our $720 of insurance premiums, I got a new pacemaker, 9 days hospitalization, Angiography, CT scans of heart & lungs, Echocardiogram, upgraded room, Business class, flat bed and first class flights home accompanied by a rescue nurse Upgraded economy flights for my wife, Limo transfers in Germany and at home. We don't know what they paid for the flights and nurse, but estimated it at $20,000, unless something changes drastically, $11,500 to the hospital (in case you need heart surgery, I can recommend a great deal here) and $7300 reimbursement of prepaid travel expenses. So, a tad over $50,000.

That's about it. I figure I got a great checkup and the treatment probably bought me a few more years of time to annoy people on TUG.

Jim

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We got dinged $500 each because 'medical' is not an allowable reason for trip interruption.
That seems really odd that "medical" is not an allowable reason for trip interruption, yet they paid all the expenses for medical costs!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That seems really odd that "medical" is not an allowable reason for trip interruption, yet they paid all the expenses for medical costs!
We thought so too, but compared to the 'nickel and dimeing' one gets from medical providers here this was refreshing. My medical bill was a half a page. No breakout for the room or individual tests or anything. Our Medicare Advantage would have charged me $300 a day for hospitalization here, yet in Germany it was included. Curiously, the second day there, the 'office lady' came to the room and said that the insurance wouldn't pay for my 'upgraded' room and said I could pay an extra 76 Euros a day or move to a 4 bed 'ward'. I opted to stay and pay, but when we turned in the bill, the insurance adjuster said, there was nothing in the bill about the room, so they would pay it.

uop1497

Reaction score
@Jim,

If you do not mind, I like to ask a few questions before I buy to buy travel insurance for my coming trips ( 1/2019 and 4/2019), one insurance policy per trip.
a) I was told I can buy the trip interruption insurance with medical evacuation coverage any time until right right before my trip start date. Not sure if it is true. Will it too late since I already done with my travel arrangement ( hotel + air ticket).
b) I will choose to include medical evacuation for each trip. For your case, how can you choose to let insurance to pay the hospital directly. And did you have to purchase the new air ticket for you and your wife upfront and filling reimbursement late

Reading your post, I am not sure if the part you travel home accompany by travel nurse is cover under Medical evacuation or trip interruption. Can you please confirm it.

c) Do travel insurance accept pre exiting medical condition.

Please advise and thank you

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Jim,

If you do not mind, I like to ask a few questions before I buy to buy travel insurance for my coming trips ( 1/2019 and 4/2019), one insurance policy per trip.
a) I was told I can buy the trip interruption insurance with medical evacuation coverage any time until right right before my trip start date. Not sure if it is true. Will it too late since I already done with my travel arrangement ( hotel + air ticket).
b) I will choose to include medical evacuation for each trip. For your case, how can you choose to let insurance to pay the hospital directly. And did you have to purchase the new air ticket for you and your wife upfront and filling reimbursement late

Reading your post, I am not sure if the part you travel home accompany by travel nurse is cover under Medical evacuation or trip interruption. Can you please confirm it.

c) Do travel insurance accept pre exiting medical condition.
No problem. That's why I've been so open about a REAL WORLD account of how it worked- at least in my case.
a) Yes, you can buy travel insurance right up to (at least) the time you pay the final payment. Maybe later- up until departure, it may vary by the insurance. Skipping to your (c) pre-existing conditions are covered IF you buy the insurance soon after you make the FIRST down payment on the travel. Ours was within 2 weeks, but we ALWAYS buy the travel insurance within a day or two of making a deposit on a trip.
b)I am not sure how to get them to pay directly. Our insurance was PRIMARY- meaning we didn't have to turn the claim over to our other insurance first before the travel insurance paid, but they still made us pay the hospital first then be reimbursed. (I know, because we paid the hospital yesterday after much argument with the insurance carrier by both us AND the hospital) It was about $11,500 and had to be wire transferred in Euros.

Medical and evacuation and trip interruption were handled by separate claim companies. (a pain in the tush) Evacuation paid for our flights home and the rescue nurse and limos and all tips and baggage handling. We never saw a bill for any of that and don't know how much it cost. Trip interruption, we submitted a claim for 7-of the 9 day river cruise, the hotel where Paula stayed while I was in the hospital, meals, taxis the cancelled flights home that we had pre-paid. We had to show documentation that we actually had paid all the things we put in a claim for. That claim was about $8300. They disallowed $1000 of it, claiming that 'medical' was not one of the listed causes of trip interruption.

We also have another claim in to a different insurance company for cancellation of another trip we had planned and paid for to Italy 3 weeks ago and cancelled after we finally got home and my doctor thought it wouldn't be a good idea to get back on a plane to Europe so soon after this 'adventure'. That's covered under trip cancellation and we are expecting the check later this week for that one.

Jim

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those paying attention, the final checks from the insurance companies arrived 10/18/2018 from claims started in July. 3 1/2 months. We did get 'whole' to the tune of almost $15,000 for reimbursement of medical, 7/9ths of the river cruise, the unused flights home, and another trip we had planned to Italy and it's required flights that we canceled due to my doc not recommending any long flights so soon.

This is a wrap, as they say. We'll never leave the USA without travel insurance including pre-existing conditions.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For those paying attention, the final checks from the insurance companies arrived 10/18/2018 from claims started in July. 3 1/2 months. We did get 'whole' to the tune of almost $15,000 for reimbursement of medical, 7/9ths of the river cruise, the unused flights home, and another trip we had planned to Italy and it's required flights that we canceled due to my doc not recommending any long flights so soon.

This is a wrap, as they say. We'll never leave the USA without travel insurance including pre-existing conditions.

Jim

Fantastic, Jim! If we are ever able to travel abroad again, I am going to consult you regarding the travel insurance! Hope you are feeling much better now as well!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fantastic, Jim! If we are ever able to travel abroad again, I am going to consult you regarding the travel insurance! Hope you are feeling much better now as well!
Thanks. I don't know that I have any advice. Dealing with insurance companies and claims agents is frustrating. They try every kind of disputing and delaying and changing claims payers they can. I'm sure that Paula filing EVERY bit of information they asked for on her law office letterhead cut through a lot of their bureaucracy. But several things helped. Right off the bat, we notified them of the medical situation- the very day I was admitted, and we got a claim number right then. Then she wrote a timeline of what happened and when. The claims were handled by 3 different companies. One company, OnCall, covered the trip interruption and evacuation home. We have never seen a bill for that. Another company, Broadspire, handled the medical portion, and they kept shuffling us off to different adjusters and not returning calls and requiring us to pay the hospital bill upfront by bank transfer in Euros and acquiring proof of payment before they would reimburse us. Yet another company- because it was a different insurance policy- reimbursed us for the later cancelled trip.

As to feeling better, I didn't feel bad when we left, but that went downhill fairly fast. I'm confident that had I had my way and not gone to this hospital for a 'quick scan', I very likely would have been one of those 'so and so, was found dead of an apparent heart attack' things we all see. Once the heart stops, there is really no way to tell what causes it, and I was having major electrical problems within my heart and a pulse of 40 bpm when checked at the hospital. I feel very lucky and have resumed traveling and dog walking and all my normal activities. I feel that the care I got in Germany probably bought me several more years. It was my '71 year checkup and tuneup'.

In case anyone wants/needs some great cardiac care, I can't recommend Juliusspital Wurzburg highly enough. My bill was 1/2 page long. The care was state of the art, the facility was beautiful and modern. Many Americans come there for urgent and ongoing cardiac and stroke care for a small fraction of it's cost in the USA.

Jim

Last edited:

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Uop1497, yes, you can get travel insurance if you have pre-existing conditions and made your first travel payment awhile ago. I was able to get coverage for our recent trip to South Africa under those conditions through GeoBlue. BUT, we have primary care already and had not made our LAST travel payment. I skipped the trip cancellation/delay insurance but got good medical coverage. The total cost for 3 weeks was around $200. I would NEVER had thought about buying the coverage if it hadn't been for Jim's posts. All went well, but with my husband's medical history, I was glad to have it just in case.