• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Interesting timeshare article

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Cited today in the (generally quite lame) RedWeek forums;
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/how-to-offload-an-unwanted-timeshare.html. It appears to have been cited in those RedWeek forums primarily because a very savvy RedWeek correspondent named Jeff Weir was quoted within the article.

Decent (not great) article overall with some interesting statistics. I take exception to one silly statement by an attorney that a timeshare can be "donated to charity" (Really? Not to my knowledge --- at least not to any legitimate charity).

Edited to add: My apologies if the above link does not work. If I've done something wrong in trying to post that link here, I have absolutely no idea what my error might have been. I thought I typed everything correctly, so I just dunno. :shrug:

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo, the page is not found. Looks like the article was written in 2012.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
looks like a small typo in the original link, ive fixed it and both are working.

the irony of one of the largest upfront fee companies being interviewed for stories helpful to owners isnt lost on me.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
looks like a small typo in the original link, ive fixed it and both are working.

the irony of one of the largest upfront fee companies being interviewed for stories helpful to owners isnt lost on me.

Thanks for the help Brian; much appreciated.

I did notice that "input" from Mr. Reed --- but I chose to just ignore it (and him) and not even mention it. Exit parasite input aside, there are still some other worthwhile little snippets of information contained within the article. I would have expected that you would perhaps have been contacted for some objective information, rather than the author obtaining the subjective, inaccurate and self-serving input of a "exit company" parasite instead. A poor choice of "sources" by the author.

That aside, it's not often that mainstream media articles make any overt references to the option to "file a disclaimer" (in regard to people being able to decline to "inherit" unwanted timeshares). Then again, ignoring or denying the existence of that disclaimer option aids PCC's and "exit / relief" parasites in promoting the "virtues" of their dubious business practices.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
eh, its pretty rare for the media to do anything other than the barest levels of research for an article...which means they just click on the links at the top of their google searches (which most are ads).

I nearly threw up when i read the quote about the "most kids dont even realize they inherited a timeshare" part...

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo, the page is not found. Looks like the article was written in 2012.

TUG Brian fixed the link problem. Btw, the article itself was published yesterday (Monday, 02/05/2018), not in 2012.

I can't actually see any difference between my link and TUG Brian's, but Brian's link works just fine. :shrug:

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
not sure what the deal is there, i edited the first post and it works again.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank Brian and Theo, the new link work perfectly.

Theo, as you can see, I have deleted my comments about RedWeek.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank Brian and Theo, the new link work perfectly.
Brian, looks like Red Week is now in direct competition with TUG Market Place. They are selling timeshares properties cheaper than their developers partners.

Now that is a conflict of interest.

Let's be fair, Pedro. RedWeek has no "developer partners"; I'm not sure why you would even say that. RedWeek is just a web site, one whose primary raison d'etre is to be a platform for people / members to find or to advertise timeshare resales and timeshare rentals. RedWeek charges a fee per individual ad, plus a required annual membership fee to either place or respond to ads, but they are private resales (just as they are in the TUG Marketplace). To my knowledge, RedWeek has no affiliation of any sort with any "developer" any more than TUG does (...which is to say, none at all).

The RedWeek discussion forums are generally quite lame and certainly can't hold a candle to TUG in terms of shared knowledge level or experience or quality of discourse. In addition, shills certainly appear much more frequently in the RedWeek discussion forums than on TUG --- and shills are not "outed and booted" on RedWeek as quickly as on TUG.

One thing that RedWeek has going for it is a great writer / correspondent named Jeff Weir, who is very knowledgeable about the timeshare industry and has written and published numerous informative and detailed articles exposing the foibles of (and various court cases against) major players in the timeshare industry such as Westgate and DRI.

I'm not sure that TUG and RedWeek are truly "in competition". The two sites are different and likely appeal to different "audiences" (IMO). No one could ever obtain on RedWeek the timeshare "education" and knowledge available on TUG.
I also don't sense that RedWeek really has the "community" feel (or active participation level) that TUG enjoys.
All that said, the RedWeek site certainly serves a purpose --- and does so with no developer affiliation.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hold on. Let's be fair here, Pedro. RedWeek has no "developer partners"; I'm not sure why you would even say that.
RedWeek is just a web site, whose primary raison d'etre is advertising (for a fee per individual ad, plus annual membership fee) timeshare resales and rentals for individual members. The site has no affiliation of any sort with any "developer" any more than TUG does (which is none at all).

The RedWeek discussion forums are generally quite lame and can't hold a candle to TUG in terms of knowledge level or experience or quality of discourse.

One thing RedWeek has going for it is a writer named Jeff Weir, who is very knowledgeable about the timeshare industry and has written numerous articles exposing the "questionable" practices of Westgate, Wyndham, DRI.
Theo, Sorry, I over step the line. RedWeek is a just a web site, to advertise timeshare resale and rentals for individual members. Plus, they have a annual membership feel. Got it.
Theo, I have deleted all my comments about RedWeek.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo, Sorry, I over step the line. RedWeek is a just a web site, to advertise timeshare resale and rentals for individual members. Plus, they have a annual membership feel. Got it.
Theo, I have deleted all my comments about RedWeek.

No need to apologize for anything. You may simply have misunderstood the nature of the RW site. No harm, no foul. :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
nothing wrong with comparing the redweek marketplace to the TUG marketplace...they both have the same intended audience and thus could most certainly be considered in competition with each other.

i think that most people who know about TUG, also know about redweek...and vice versa.

sadly neither of the sites (TUG OR RW) hold a candle to the internet search juggernaut of Sellmytimeshare now.

we are both merely small asteroids in orbit around that planet.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing that RedWeek has going for it is a great writer / correspondent named Jeff Weir, who is very knowledgeable about the timeshare industry and has written numerous articles exposing the (...ahem) "questionable" feats and foibles (and court cases) of major players in the timeshare industry like Westgate, Wyndham and DRI.

Theo, there is also a very intelligent and well spoken contributor by the name of "Ken1193." He sounds very educated - like you. Maybe a relative?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
sadly neither of the sites (TUG OR RW) hold a candle to the internet search juggernaut of Sellmytimeshare now.

Yes, definitely quite sad. If someone is doing a search how to sell a timeshare and gets SMTN as opposed to Red Week or TUG, that person is going to be in for a rude awakening. He'll be fed this bee-ess how his TS is worth tens of thousands of dollars and the service can be had for the low, low price of only $850.

Whereas TUG can educate someone realistically so as not to be fed unmet expectations. Oh well. People have to live and learn.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Theo, there is also a very intelligent and well spoken contributor by the name of "Ken1193." He sounds very educated - like you. Maybe a relative?

You are very kind. We are indeed a DNA match; also quite opinionated --- and often too verbose. :)

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the website information on Salemytimeshare now. TUG & RW are much better website in my opinion.

Knowledge is Power and this is why I enjoy this website. Thanks Brian and theo for keeping an old man on the right road.

Last edited: