• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Irma - The 400 Lb Gorilla In The Room

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Irma is going to be a major issue for some of the US, not totally clear where yet. But, my question is specifically a Wyndham question.

Does anyone know how Wyndham will notify owners/guests of resort closures? I don't see a place on the new website for such notices.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Irma is going to be a major issue for some of the US, not totally clear where yet. But, my question is specifically a Wyndham question.

Does anyone know how Wyndham will notify owners/guests of resort closures? I don't see a place on the new website for such notices.

On the Texas problem, Wyndham put the notice up as a rectangular box pop up that they were accepting cancels under 15 days.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume it will be on the home screen as a pop up when you login.
I get one now as I own at Oceanside Pier for construction in the area and there's a number 1 by the bell at the top of the homepage by orange book button
The bell is for Notification Center

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

What resort are you interested in ? Many resorts appear to have different policies. Additionally, some resorts with lenient hurricane policies directly address timeshares as "no refunds."

Post your question/resort, I'll try and find it....

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
What resort are you interested in ? Many resorts appear to have different policies. Additionally, some resorts with lenient hurricane policies directly address timeshares as "no refunds."

Post your question/resort, I'll try and find it....

Specifically Ocean Walk and Bonnet Creek -- I have guests at both places starting September 8th, three reservations total. I'd call but I'm sure it is too early for them to say.

All the guests are very close to the resorts -- within an hour or so. They'll have their hands full if it is so bad that the resorts are closing.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Talked with the Owner Care Number. If someone calls in for Southern Flordia, they are accepting cancelations with points back. For Central and Northern Flordia, they are watching the situation. For the Islands, they mentioned St Thomas, they notified affected owners directly.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year at ocean walk reservations were going to be cancelled and if the resort reopened anyone would have the chance to book the rooms. That was when they knew the resorts were going to be closing.

Never figured out if points and guest confirmations were refunded.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Specifically Ocean Walk and Bonnet Creek -- I have guests at both places starting September 8th, three reservations total. I'd call but I'm sure it is too early for them to say.

All the guests are very close to the resorts -- within an hour or so. They'll have their hands full if it is so bad that the resorts are closing.

Ocean Walk said they will know by Friday. I also have guest arriving on Friday. I am sure my guest don't want go considering what the weather might be like on the beach.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Question: do resorts ever have special assessments for the owners because of hurricane damage? Presumably there is insurance coverage, but I would imagine there might be cases where insurance doesn't cover all damage.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts do have special assessments for weather caused issues.

For instance,
Wyndham Santa Barbara (Pompano Beach, Fl) was closed for SEVERAL YEARS due to major hurricane damaged. The 2 motels next door to the south and the motel directly across the street & beachfront from those 2 motels were closed, sat for several years AFTER Wyndham Santa Barbara had been totally redone (Kitchens, windows, roof, baths, mechanicals, all finished goods & surfaces) ... then torn down. Still to this day, they are empty lots. And yes, there was a LARGE special assessment which eventually those that did NOT PAY ... lost their units.. which ALL went into that new program, call Club Access.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Resorts do have special assessments for weather caused issues.

For instance,
Wyndham Santa Barbara (Pompano Beach, Fl) was closed for SEVERAL YEARS due to major hurricane damaged. The 2 motels next door to the south and the motel directly across the street & beachfront from those 2 motels were closed, sat for several years AFTER Wyndham Santa Barbara had been totally redone (Kitchens, windows, roof, baths, mechanicals, all finished goods & surfaces) ... then torn down. Still to this day, they are empty lots. And yes, there was a LARGE special assessment which eventually those that did NOT PAY ... lost their units.. which ALL went into that new program, call Club Access.

Thanks Linda. Santa Barbara is one of the two contracts that are in the transfer process right now to us...first and foremost I hope all in the path are safe and those that live in the areas that get hit are not suffering. A special assessment on a timeshare seems trivial compared to what some will go through, but good to know what we are up against if there is damage.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Talked with the Owner Care Number. If someone calls in for Southern Flordia, they are accepting cancelations with points back. For Central and Northern Flordia, they are watching the situation. For the Islands, they mentioned St Thomas, they notified affected owners directly.

Good stuff! Thanks!

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they closed st thomas or Puerto Rico before the storm hit? We are suppose to go there in a few weeks. Didn't know how soon we would get an idea of damage to the resort. When mathew went past Daytona last year they evacuated the resort and didn't find out for a few days how bad it was. Then we were told, the resort wasn't reopening for a week or so and we had to scramble to find someplace else to go 2 days before we were suppose to check in. Hoping to not have a repeat of that again.

Jason

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The best I could find, over what I posted earlier in the thread on Wyndham said is:

It looks like if Wyndham has not contacted you, I would call and cancel the reservation. Even if it is open, not sure it would be a good vacation spot for the timefame you are talking about.

The news just said Puerto Rico was hit with 185 mile an hour winds.

Last edited:

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Ocean Walk said they will know by Friday. I also have guest arriving on Friday. I am sure my guest don't want go considering what the weather might be like on the beach.
We have been in Myrtle Beach 2x when hurricanes have brushed them. It was a day day and a half rain event. If resort doesn't close rent some movies and get snacks food in and hunker down for a day. If its going to be a direct hit I would cancel

Last edited:

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Does anyone know RCI policy on Hurricane cancellations? We are supposed to go to Hilton head on the 16th September. Is it up to RCI or Resort what they do. I have been at resorts when hurricane has skirted area but never had something booked right after they go through

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Does anyone know RCI policy on Hurricane cancellations? We are supposed to go to Hilton head on the 16th September. Is it up to RCI or Resort what they do. I have been at resorts when hurricane has skirted area but never had something booked right after they go through
RCI's policy changes with every storm. You would need to call and ask. During some storms they have given points back but not the exchange fee. Sometimes they have let you cancel/change only if the resort is closed, sometimes they have said too bad it is an act of God and per terms and conditions we are not responsible and you would need to contact the resort to see if they will work with you to reschedule.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
RCI's policy changes with every storm. You would need to call and ask. During some storms they have given points back but not the exchange fee. Sometimes they have let you cancel/change only if the resort is closed, sometimes they have said too bad it is an act of God and per terms and conditions we are not responsible and you would need to contact the resort to see if they will work with you to reschedule.
Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case. I can pay $99 to protect the points but if it doesn't protect the exchange fee and it doesn't I will then be paying almost $600 to use them :(

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Per Wyndham, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico resorts are closed. For the Orlando Area through Sept 12, for reservations, they are giving points back if people call in, may be extended or not after they evalute the situation next week. Same for the rest of Florida except for the Panhandle.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good stuff! Thanks!

Wyndham is not accepting any check ins at Ocean Walk this weekend. Owner care said it was decided today and everyone should be getting am email. Cancelled with points returned.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your welcome.
Wyndham is not accepting any check ins at Ocean Walk this weekend. Owner care said it was decided today and everyone should be getting am email. Cancelled with points returned.

Yep, thanks. Got the email this afternoon -- called and canceled the two weekend reservations. Also canceled one at Bonnet Creek even though it isn't under a mandatory evacuation and probably won't be. Bonnet Creek doesn't have the same problems as Ocean Walk. I can't imagine having any fun at either place for a few days.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope to hell they don't close Reunion. As soon as I finish buttoning up my house, that's where I'm going

Good luck, Ron!! (Are you going to stand outside in the wind with a microphone and send us a live video like Anderson Cooper did during Katrina?)

Be safe Ron and everyone in Florida (and Bahamas, and, and...) Anyone with continuing internet access, let us know how it's going!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might want to call in and get your points back and re-locate further North. Good Luck and be safe. Remember, in a bind, high ground counts even if it is a woods sleep over.