• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there a generic Travel Insurance that will cover ALL of our trips?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for travel insurance that will cover all of our trips without having to purchase travel insurance on each set of points or trips.

We just had to cut our Disney trip short by 6 nights due to Irma. Disney has been fabulous about it but it did make me think that perhaps we should look for something.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for travel insurance that will cover all of our trips without having to purchase travel insurance on each set of points or trips.

We just had to cut our Disney trip short by 6 nights due to Irma. Disney has been fabulous about it but it did make me think that perhaps we should look for something.

Vacation Guard used to provide travel coverage for all timeshare trips within a full year. No more however, since acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway.

CSA offers policies that will cover lost timeshare maintenance fees, but they too will now only cover individual trips, afaik. I suspect that a single policy "covering all your trips" is likely a pipe dream or, if available at all, prohibitively expensive. I'd certainly love to be proven dead wrong if you should find and share information to the contrary, but I certainly won't be holding my breath in the meantime.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sort of depends on WHAT you want covered. If you want timeshare points or exchanges covered, look to those companies. Airfare would have to be insured separately on a case by case basis. Medical or evacuation can be bought annually through Medjet or as I used to get it through Good Sam (RV club- and no, you don't have to own an RV). It covers you, and your spouse, and will get you home or to medical care in the USA from anywhere in the world. There is also a component for lost luggage, trip delay or cancellation, but for instance it won't reimburse you for a cruise cancelled for pre-existing medical reason.

I know of none (other than one's own wallet full of cash) that would offer blanket coverage for ALL of an individual travel expenses, regardless of type or location or risk.

Jim

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We pay $59 a year to Worldmark Travel Secure. The main reason I have it is that no matter why or where we are traveling, if we are more than 100 miles from home, we get medical evacuation paid for. More than likely we will never use it but if we ever need it I will be so happy I paid the premium as medical evacuation is VERY expensive.

If I get any other benefits that's just an extra.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vacation Guard used to provide travel coverage for all timeshare trips within a full year. No more however, since acquisition by Berkshire Hathaway.

I just got off the phone with VacationGuard (866-314-9480) and they ARE still offering an annual plan for $299 (Annual Timeshare Plus) that covers maintenance fees, trip cancellation, and some medical expenses. You can find the entire policy details at vacationguard.com

Disclaimer: I have not used this service but I am thinking about buying it for my 2018 timeshare vacations. I will be going to NYC and Orlando, both with Wyndham. This plan does not cover non-timeshare vacations.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with VacationGuard (866-314-9480) and they ARE still offering an annual plan for $299 (Annual Timeshare Plus) that covers maintenance fees, trip cancellation, and some medical expenses. You can find the entire policy details at vacationguard.com

Disclaimer: I have not used this service but I am thinking about buying it for my 2018 timeshare vacations. I will be going to NYC and Orlando, both with Wyndham. This plan does not cover non-timeshare vacations.

I consistently used Vacation Guard for a number years, before the BH takeover ---and stopped doing so after the BH takeover. What you have described would have been completely accurate before the BH takeover, but is not at all my own understanding of things after a lengthy conversation with a VG / BH rep last year (well after the Berkshire Hathaway takeover was completed). I hope that you are entirely right and that I am entirely wrong, or that something has changed significantly between then and now. Frankly, I'm not not placing any bets...

I'm certainly not an actuary, but it seems almost outright foolish from an insuror's standpoint to cover a full year for $299, with no regard for how many individual timeshare intervals or trips might potentially be involved. After all, there are people (among whom I surely do not number) who use a dozen (or even many more) timeshare trips / weeks in the course of a year. :shrug:

Last edited:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, Theo. All I can say is that this ($299 annual fee) is what was told to me less than 2 hours ago and it is also what is listed on their current website. I don't know why there is this difference in what you were told and what I was told. Perhaps they have gone back to the previous plan. I specifically asked if I sign up on January 1 2018 and take a trip to a Wyndham timeshare in NYC in April and a Wyndham timeshare in Orlando in May if they would both be covered. He said yes. He did ask which timeshare company I would be using, so perhaps they don't cover all timeshares, just certain ones.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That is very interesting, because as Theo said- they had stopped offering this plan because it became cost prohibitive. Like Theo, I, too, had used them for a number of years until they merged with Berkshire Hathaway and they weren't offering it anymore in New York. Then I switched to CSA and had to insure each week separately.

If what you were quoted is legit, I would be interested for 2018 as well. Do you have a web site link?

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I get a chance, I will try to find the name of the VG / BH exec (he's relatively high up the food chain there, not a phone rep or agent) and try to contact him, which he had openly invited me to do when we spoke at some length a year or so ago. It may be worth revisiting the issue for definitive clarification.

Puppymomo has cited two trips within a two month time period, both covered. That's all well and good, but I respectfully submit that a two interval / two trip situation within 60 days is very different from all intervals / trips within a full year, which could (potentially anyhow) involve dozens of intervals / trips).

I am inclined to doubt that any particular timeshare property or system would influence or impact either coverage or pricing, but I could certainly be mistaken. It seems (to me, anyhow) highly unlikely that owners at independent timeshare properties vs. timeshare owners within "chains" would somehow have different available policy coverages and / or different policy pricing but again, I could be entirely mistaken. :shrug:

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Yup. I went on there and it comes up as $299. I put in today's date as the date of deposit to get a quote. Then I put in $3000 as the cost (which is essentially our maintenance fees for the 3 weeks more or less).

Looks like they did go back to providing this coverage. The next thing I will do is see what CSA- which is now the other company- charges for the individual trips. (2 of my weeks are back to back).

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
It sort of depends on WHAT you want covered. If you want timeshare points or exchanges covered, look to those companies. Airfare would have to be insured separately on a case by case basis. Medical or evacuation can be bought annually through Medjet or as I used to get it through Good Sam (RV club- and no, you don't have to own an RV). It covers you, and your spouse, and will get you home or to medical care in the USA from anywhere in the world. There is also a component for lost luggage, trip delay or cancellation, but for instance it won't reimburse you for a cruise cancelled for pre-existing medical reason.

I know of none (other than one's own wallet full of cash) that would offer blanket coverage for ALL of an individual travel expenses, regardless of type or location or risk.

Jim
GeoBlue's Trekker plans also provide annual multi-trip medical coverage for residents of the US traveling abroad.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Yup. I went on there and it comes up as $299. I put in today's date as the date of deposit to get a quote. Then I put in $3000 as the cost (which is essentially our maintenance fees for the 3 weeks more or less).

Looks like they did go back to providing this coverage. The next thing I will do is see what CSA- which is now the other company- charges for the individual trips. (2 of my weeks are back to back).
Mary Ann, as I recall in the past they did not offer this to New York State residents. My friend who lived in NJ was able to get it. Be sure they will cover you based on your address.

Edit. I just filled it out and put my NY address in there and it let me go forward to the purchase screen....

Coverages
Trip Cancellation

Limit:$10,000

Trip Interruption

Trip Inconvenience

Limit:$300

Trip Delay

Limit:$1,000

Missed Connection

Baggage & Personal Effects

Limit:$2,000

Baggage Delay

Sporting Equipment Delay

Security Deposit Protection

Medical Expense

Limit:$25,000

Emer Evac & Repatriation

Limit:$250,000

Acc Death/Dismemberment

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann, as I recall in the past they did not offer this to New York State residents. My friend who lived in NJ was able to get it. Be sure they will cover you based on your address.

Edit. I just filled it out and put my NY address in there and it let me go forward to the purchase screen....

Coverages
Trip Cancellation

Trip Interruption

Trip Inconvenience

Limit:$300

Trip Delay

Missed Connection

Baggage & Personal Effects

Baggage Delay

Sporting Equipment Delay

Security Deposit Protection

Medical Expense

Emer Evac & Repatriation

Limit:$250,000

Acc Death/Dismemberment

Yes- I know. This time I did put in New York as the state I live in.

WackyLucy

Reaction score
I don't have much experience with travel insurance, but it occurs to me that for those planned trips involving owned timeshares it would be somewhat important that a policy be timeshare-specific enough that lost maintenence fees would be a part of the coverage, no? :shrug:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might also want to check out Allianz Travel Insurance. They offer a few annual travel plans. The basic annual fee for NYS residents is $250. It looks like Vacation Guard's benefits are better but it appears Allianz covers both timeshare and non timeshare travel. I called and was told it covered timeshares. I looked at the policy, which you can view on line, and didn't see any exclusions for timeshares.

You can also get Global ETS, which is an annual medical evacuation plan, at a reduced rate if you have Interval gold or platinum status.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I carefully choose which credit card I use when I book travel.

When I use my Costco Citibank Visa, I get a 3% rebate on all travel expenses AND their concierge service AND airline change fees coverage AND rental auto insurance coverage AND trip interruption coverage for "You, your family members, domestic partner and your traveling companions whose trip you paid for at least in part with your Citi card." The details are in a PDF on their website.

When I use my Coastal FCU Visa I get "Other complimentary Visa Benefits: Travel Accident Insurance, Travel and Emergency Assistance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Roadside Dispatch, Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption." Again, details in a PDF on the website.

I almost never buy any supplemental insurance.

Lglen119

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been using VacationGuard for over a decade and they have paid several claims without issue. I still carry it, and buy it each January when my dues bill comes. And yes, it's an annual plan, but just for my timeshare trips. It's also the only plan I know of that covers my M&T, and exchange fees, and Medical expenses, etc, without having to list every trip. And, for my kids too, since we now travel from 3 states, so last year during hurricane Matthew, all of us had the benefit of having trip delay coverage, which was much easier than worrying about having them stranded in an airport. Last year i had a friend who had an issue, and the travel plan they bought had a 180 day look back on pre-ex, so they have no coverage. With VG, it's waived as I've been buying it for years, so it is another reason I keep it in force, as I don't have that issue for a health claim that may pop up. I even used it for rental car damage when someone hit our rental car one night, and I just turned it back in and they took care of the rest. At $299, I can also state it's the only plan I know is written for timeshare, and I've never had a claim for less than that, which is why I still carry it. Aside from not worrying about hoping I had coverage, I find having this makes my timeshare planning much easier.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Chase Sapphire Reserve has one of the best travel insurance programs I've seen - I think the Chase Sapphire Preferred (lower annual fee) also has nearly the same coverage. We use our CSR to pay for nearly all of our travel and fees.

MLR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does each person (if more than one person is traveling) need a policy? Also, We rented our TS vacation from an owner - did not do an exchange. The other week we rented from an exchange. Does this insurance cover trips like that? Sounds interesting. Some of the coverage would be duplicated on our CC but not the med/evac. Appreciated this post.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't have much experience with travel insurance, but it occurs to me that for those planned trips involving owned timeshares it would be somewhat important that a policy be timeshare-specific enough that lost maintenence fees would be a part of the coverage, no? :shrug:

The CSA ones do specify timeshare maintenance fees covered.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The CSA ones do specify timeshare maintenance fees covered.
I am always confused as to the duration which it covers. Let's say I buy one for Jan 1, 2017 to Dec 31st, 2017. If I paid MF in 2016 for a 2017 use year, does it cover the MF for the timeshare?

Lglen119

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am always confused as to the duration which it covers. Let's say I buy one for Jan 1, 2017 to Dec 31st, 2017. If I paid MF in 2016 for a 2017 use year, does it cover the MF for the timeshare?