• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is upgrade feature working?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
There is a lot of inventory on extra holidays, some 3 and 4 bedroom penthouses. I have never seen that before.. Does Wyndham also get in line for the auto upgrade. If so, they would be the first to grab the discount period reservations and the first to select auto upgrade. Other owners see the upgrade sitting in inventory and decide to cancel and re book with an upgrade. Only problem the 1 bedroom does not come back as people have posted. Where does it go? Extra Holidays in line for an upgrade?

You raise an interesting point. More effective mgt of their right to take out inventory may well be one of the reasons they rushed the new system out.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's an extreme example

Someone that owned 30 million points gets 150 reservations at 200000 points each, but since this owner was able to get a 50% discount on all of them he got 300 reservations

He didn't spend any more points or any more money but he got twice the reservations. These "extra" reservations didn't make Wyndham any extra money. What happened is that 150 reservations that should have gone to other owners l, didn't

Causing an owner to spend more points per reservation means that there is more availability to other owners, in my example 150 more. At least that's what co skier convinced me of.

Straight-up 50% discounts is just cancel-rebook. This is still possible, although more limited. From the updates I have attended since the May changes, the sales department is still promoting the 50% Platinum discount to get "twice as many reservations". Nothing wrong with that in the off season (which the sales department neglects to mention is where the majority of 60-day discounts will be found). The real manipulation was the book-book-cancel-cancel-rebook at a discount and upgrade.

That is how a 30M points owner, who should have been able to reserve prime time for 78 weeks in a 3 BR Presidential could book 361 weeks in a 3 BR Presidentials using the cancel-rebook-upgrade scam.

This is not an extreme example. I am sure this and much worse was standard operating procedure for serious megarenters before the May changes.

Those 361 weeks (now 78 weeks for the same input costs as 361 weeks before the changes) in a 3 BR Presidential at regular points may not offer an adequate profit for megarenters, so those reservations go to owners who bought into the program to take their families on vacation. The non-owners, who have no interest in the Club, now rent from somewhere else.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Straight-up 50% discounts is just cancel-rebook. .....Nothing wrong with that in the off season (which the sales department neglects to mention is where the majority of 60-day discounts will be found). The real manipulation was the book-book-cancel-cancel-rebook at a discount and upgrade. <snip> The non-owners, who have no interest in the Club, now rent from somewhere else.

Lots of truth in your above post. I would add that I have found, non-owners work mostly "on PRICE, then value". And non-owners spend DOLLARS .. not Wyndham points .. they can spend that dollar currency anywhere without a limited shelf life (as in USE YEAR of Wyndham points). And non-owners can bargain ... troll for their "best price value option" verses a limited number of Wyndham resorts... and limited again, as to what size units MIGHT be available.

I would also add, most regular renters know what the dollar cost of a stay is to an owner at any resort .... but the renter does NOT care, if you (the owner) cover their costs or not. That is the "owners' bad" ... as they are just helping the owner out to "get some money back".

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think extra vacations is the same monster under the bed that my daughter was scared of. It dosent exist, or at least I don't think so

More availability is exactly right, but not only can wyndham feed it to the fish, other owners can make the high demand reservations

That increased availability is the benefit from the need to use more points than we used to

I didn't mean that WYndham did it to fuel extra vacations, I meant it limits what is available to Wyndham to use for it if I use less points. That potentially diminishes Wyndhams income from that program, so not to their advantage. My using less points for a reservation hits Wyndham in other ways as well.

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean walk daytona, Brandon at the falls, and great Smokies lodge
Received an upgrade via email today and also another reservation that I didn't make as a confirmation. Called the questionable reservation office and was told no record was found. Called the upgrade reservation office and found only 1 br reservation and no upgrade. They said things like this are occurring and it would be investigated.
just checked my reservations online and the upgrade appeared. Very thankful as lake lure (Fairfield Mountains! was always difficult to book in October so getting an upgrade was almost a miracle.
Email for questionable reservation was a repeat from my May cancelled one. Emails can be problems at times.
Tried to explore resort as has been talked about but evidently it is not available to Fairfield trust who aren't on Voyager.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know both phone reps and sales at update when asked about a problem often offer an excuse that fits the situation not necessarily the correct answer. This is one I haven't heard before to explain why upgrades weren't always working when showing available. It could be true or it could be a plausible but incorrect explanation. On one of the facebook pages an owner who attended a update asked about the times when upgrades seemed to be available but did not auto upgrade even when requested. The excuse was CWA inventory was programmed to only upgrade into larger CWA inventory even if booked in the 10 month period and the CWA vs deeded code still remains intact on the reservation and won't upgrade into the other type of inventory at the same resort (and the reverse also occurring where deeded won't upgrade into CWA larger inventory) If that were the case it would seem like an easy fix to program upgrades into both types of inventory. It also wouldn't explain why when booking instant upgrades there is almost never a problem upgrading into available inventory while previous booked units seem to fail upgrades fairly frequently.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the CWA vs deeded code appears on a reservation?

UPDATE: Got off the phone with Wyndham, the option 3 then 2 options. A entry shows up on her version of the site for a reservation that we tested by comparing information. Her version has a "resort type" entry that did not show up on the test reservation on my on-line version. In my case it showed the reservation as Club Wyndham Plus and not a Club Wyndham Access entry. I have both types of points.

Last edited:

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How do you have CWA and Club Wyndham Plus? Things are coming clearer now as I thought about my deeds again. The GSL Deed was for CWA and Club Wyndham Plus in the Fair share Vacation Owners Trust so the division last November left all deeds for GSL in CWA and evidently all deeds purchased after 1992 when points were introduced by Fairfield soon to become My Club Wyndham took over and moved all deeds from AR to Orlando but still separated by the trust.
My deeds all read "trust"

Last edited:

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am in Select but Club Wyndham Plus too. I evidently will not meet with GSL HOA next month but I did receive meeting information on Daytona and Branson.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more time Club Wyndham select are deeded ownerships and Club Wyndham Access is a membership. Both are in the club we call Club Wyndham plus

There should be no marker on your Club Wyndham reservations to identify which contract the points came from because as has been said here over the years. Points are points

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, some on this thread call it as you indicated. I did not initiate the line that this thread took on the marking of a reservation. Another site I had found shows Club Wyndham with Club Wyndham Plus and Club Wyndham Access being co-equals under Club Wyndham Presidential Reserve also appears to be emerging as a third co-equal with the other two. The sizes of respective designations are unknown to me. One Owners Update I attended recently, a circle that was drawn and sub-divided, the biggest subdivision was Club Wyndham Plus followed by Club Wyndham Access with the balance being Presidential Reserve with other smaller ones grouped together. I do not know which is right. What I see are indicators of is Wyndham moving to a Points Type system for naming. I do not think there is an real difference one way or the other to me. What emerges as time goes on, who knows.

Last edited:

Nomad34

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more time Club Wyndham select are deeded ownerships and Club Wyndham Access is a membership. Both are in the club we call Club Wyndham plus

There should be no marker on your Club Wyndham reservations to identify which contract the points came from because as has been said here over the years. Points are points
True points are points but last year I was told that all reservations previously used the toial points owned but it was moving to individual contracts and the reason for me to go CWA would combine them to be total in CWA. Thinking back now to go CWA in the beginning you replaced one or more contract s to bunke which would explain some CWA and some Club Wyndham. I will be happy to see things settle and fund out if we will have a trustee HIA meeting next month.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm the OP I finally did get a requested upgrade. Wyndham jumped up 4 levels so I was happy about that. Last night I was able to cancel and rebook some reservations at a very popular resort and timeframe.
Unfortunately the site went down at midnight and I hv no idea when it came back up. Then whole new search functions that do not wrk on my iPad unles I hv choosen exact dates and there is availability.