TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Welk the best?

Discussion in 'All Other Timeshare Systems' started by Shankilicious, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Shankilicious

Shankilicious Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resorts
    Welk doesn't sell fixed weeks anywhere anymore from what I've been told. They never sold anything but points at Cabo, Branson, or Northstar.
    And as I said, above 540k points and above gets real expensive real fast. A guy posted on TUG back in January that he had just bought 1M Welk points for $125k.....
    The extended reservation window isn't open to resale purchasers so those two factors plus Breckenridge opening this fall, should mean even more ski availability.
    There's plenty open in weeks 1-8 of 2020 at Northstar, except presidents weekend, week 7.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. Guitarmom

Guitarmom Guest

I have to admit that I'm completely in agreement with you, Shankilicious. I love Welk! Keep in mind that's a totally uneducated opinion, because we literally never looked at anything else. Our extended family lives in Escondido, so it was Welk or nuttin'! But the cares of the world melt away when we're at Welk, and we love going there.

There's a perk of being a large points owner that I don't often see mentioned here: Depending on your membership level, last minute reservations (i.e. 30-60 days in advance) get a % discount in points. At our level, Platinum Select, last minute reservations get a 20% discount, so a small one bedroom costs 90,000 instead of 120,000 points if I make the reservation less than 45 days in the future. (Keep in mind, these perks don't transfer to resale owners.) My six small one bedroom weeks can stretch to eight!

We're seriously considering upgrading one level and spending winters in Escondido. If we do, then their new catch phrase, "Welkome Home," will be quite on point for us!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

nuwermj and Shankilicious like this.
  3. Shankilicious

Shankilicious Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Resorts
    Hahaha! Yeah I didnt add that discounted last minute bonus for two reasons. I don't have it as only owning 240k points and resale owners don't get it.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Guitarmom

Guitarmom Guest

You have a good point. But only 5% of Welk owners are Premiere/Select/Elite/Pinnacle. So the P/S/E/P owners simply cannot book "all the good summer weeks" because there aren't enough of them. There was a post in January that someone paid $125,000 for 1.5 million points making her a Pinnacle owner (she wisely decided to rescind). Since P/S/E/P is only available when you buy from the developer, I just can't imagine that the 5% is going to grow much at those prices.

5. RunCat

RunCat Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Welk Platinum, Sheraton Flex.
    To prevent the PSEP owners from grabbing all of the high value weeks, only a small part of the inventory is made available for the extended reservation windows. Even though, I am in that PSEP category, I think this system is a good for all owners

Shankilicious likes this.
  6. Icc5

Icc5 TUG Member

Love our Welk Villa that we bought 30 years ago fo only a few thousand dollars after falling in love with it. It is one of 4 systems we own and by far my favorite. We own in Escondido a week which we've kept, never converted. I've written this before but when I walk into our unit it feels like the weight of the world is lifted off my shoulders. It is also a favorite for our friends and relatives.
    If I knew what made me relax so much here I would convert our house to get the same feeling.
    I have stayed at other Welk Resorts in trades thru RCI but none give me that same feeling. We also own in S.F. at the Donatello, at Orange Lake in Florida, and in Worldmark.
    Bart

Shankilicious and Fredflintstone like this.