• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Italy Itinerary

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
I am cross posting to get more input, so you may see this in the Europe forum as well!

Hubby and I are leaving the kids at home and travelling to Italy in late September/early October for 13 nights. Based on research using TUG and Rick Steve’s resources, here is an overview of our trip as of now (need to finalize so we can book airfare and accommodations):

2 nights Venice
2 nights in Cinque Terre
4-5 nights in Tuscany at Hilton - Borgo Alle Vigne
2 nights in Sorrento
2-3 nights in Rome

For those of you who have been, does this itinerary look good? Would you recommend that we spend 4 nights in Tuscany and 3 nights in Rome or 5 nights in Tuscany and 2 nights in Rome?

As for transportation, how do you all recommend we get from location to location (e.g., from Venice to Cinque Terre)? I have read that driving is not recommended, except maybe while we are staying at Borgo since it is so remote. I also welcome any suggestions (especially if not already posted recently here on TUG). Thanks in advance for your help!

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would concentrate on northern Italy this trip. Skip Sorrento and add days to Rome. Add a night to Venice if it’s your first stop.

We did Venice, Florence, Portofino, Cinqueterre and had a wonderful 11 day trip many years ago. We used the train and had no problems. And we too used Rick Steve’s recommendations.

We flew to Milan and it was easy to get to the train to Venice. Train travel overall was easy too.

You will have a great trip no matter where you go. I loved eating my way through Italy.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Train travel is great, but when we were there a few years ago, I had no issues driving in Italy. We had a car while staying in Florence and took day trips to Pisa, Cinque Terre and the hill towns without issue.

Kurt

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
I would concentrate on northern Italy this trip. Skip Sorrento and add days to Rome. Add a night to Venice if it’s your first stop.

We did Venice, Florence, Portofino, Cinqueterre and had a wonderful 11 day trip many years ago. We used the train and had no problems. And we too used Rick Steve’s recommendations.

We flew to Milan and it was easy to get to the train to Venice. Train travel overall was easy too.

You will have a great trip no matter where you go. I loved eating my way through Italy.

So how about 3 days in Venice, 2 in Cinque Terre, 5 in Tuscany (to visit Florence, Pisa, Rome and relax “Under the Tuscan Sun”), and 3 days in Rome?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Train travel is great, but when we were there a few years ago, I had no issues driving in Italy. We had a car while staying in Florence and took day trips to Pisa, Cinque Terre and the hill towns without issue.

Kurt

The problems we've had are related to tickets for inadvertently driving into the "restricted" central zone somewhere (I think it might have been Modena) and getting a ticket in the mail more than a month later, along with a EUR60 charge from the rental car company :)

OP: This sounds like you're trying to do too many things in the time period. I agree with others who suggest focusing more on Northern Italy and skipping Sorrento. Once you do Sorrento, you'll want to do Naples and the surrounding volcano and ruins, IMO.

I also agree with the "one more night in Venice." The Hilton Molino Stucky, while a bit removed, is a nice place.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Good schedule. Sept/Oct is much better than summer which gets too hot.

+1 skip Sorrento. Add 1 - 2 more nights in Rome. Request for the Catacombs Tour with the Vatican now. We missed this last time because we requested this too late. We hired a private tour guide through our hotel concierge to see the Vatican and the Coluseum and it was well worth the price (including private limo to get there and back). Skipped the lines, great history lessons and used our limited time wisely to see what's most important. It was also great to speak with a local about Rome and how it is changing.

You can see Cinque Terre in one day from Borgo including hiking from one town to the next and using the train, but it will be an early/late day. At least one night is good. IMO... enjoyed Cinque Terre more than Venice. Venice is overrun with tourists but you have to see it once.

You will need a car to stay at Borgo but can do the rest via train. Don't forget to rent bikes to ride on the wall around Lucca. The ancient walled city of Lucca is not mentioned much but is a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, one can do Venice in 1 full day, but 1 & 1/2 would be better
... including a tour to Murano & Burano.
You could head for Cinque Terre in the PM. IOW, I'd only spend 2N.

The time saved would be better spent in Rome.
You need a week in Rome to do any more than scratch the surface.
Take time for an excursion to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa near Tivoli.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
IMHO, one can do Venice in 1 full day, but 1 & 1/2 would be better
... including a tour to Murano & Burano.
You could head for Cinque Terre in the PM. IOW, I'd only spend 2N.

The time saved would be better spent in Rome.
You need a week in Rome to do any more than scratch the surface.
Take time for an excursion to Villa d'Este and Hadrian's Villa near Tivoli.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! This is super helpful, as I may be booking our flights and accommodations (other than our timeshare in Tuscany) with a travel company (European Destinations) and need to have a set itinerary. I’ve done some of the math, and they seem to be priced better than if I was to pay for airfare and accommodations separately.

However, Talent312 suggests to keep Venice at 2 nights and increase Rome to at least 4. Thoughts on this? Time better spent in Rome than Venice?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
T
However, Talent312 suggests to keep Venice at 2 nights and increase Rome to at least 4. Thoughts on this? Time better spent in Rome than Venice?

This one is hard because they're quite different. As always, much to do in both. Since I believe that this is a first trip to Italy, I'd say that I agree. Venice can consume a week on its own, but Rome is a site of history almost without parallel in many ways. I'd say it's worth the extra day.

One things that is very cool to do is the Archeobus (http://www.archeoroma.com/archeobus.htm). It goes outside the main city along te Appian Way and makes some very interesting stops.

For reference, we've been to Rome 3 times and Venice twice, I believe.

Cheers.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! This is super helpful, as I may be booking our flights and accommodations (other than our timeshare in Tuscany) with a travel company (European Destinations) and need to have a set itinerary. I’ve done some of the math, and they seem to be priced better than if I was to pay for airfare and accommodations separately.

I would cut Tuscany down to 3 to 4 days. Keep Venice at 3 nights(because first day you will be tired from travel) and do 4 in Rome.

Pisa takes about an hour or two to see the Leaning Tower area. Easy to do from the train station on your way from Florence to Cinqueterre.

My preference would be to stay in Florence. A fantastic city. Gelato everywhere and I tried it all....

Of course so much depends on what you want to do and what interests you and your husband.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, don’t miss the gelato :thumbup:

Just a suggestion...
I would create a list of won’t want to miss sights (aka must do’s) so you can figure out how many days to allocate for each destination.

I would also suggest a longer stay in Rome for a first timer but it really depends on what you’re interested in. Also check hours of operation and plan accordingly.

For example
In Florence, the Accademia Gallery is closed on Mondays
In Rome, the Borghese Gallery is closed on Mondays and the Vatican Museums are closed on Sundays, except for the last Sunday of the month, when they are free.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I said 1-1/2 days in Venice becuz it's quite compact and walkable end-to-end.
However, you may want to try to avoid days when cruise ships will be in port.

Anecdote: In his autobiography, David Niven tells about how he and Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., planned a European itinerary for humorist Robert Benchley: “I made arrangements for him to visit some friends of mine in Venice. The day Benchley got there he sent us a cable which read: 'STREETS FULL OF WATER. ADVISE.'"

---------------------
BTW, when walking anywhere in public, beware of children who get close to you.
They will bump you "accidentally," and try to hoist the contents of your pockets.
As RS suggests, keep valuables in a neck or waist pouch, inside your clothing.

Last edited:

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I echo the thoughts that folks have shared so far - MORE time in Rome! We were in Italy for over 3 weeks last Oct/Nov and loved it all. We spent 4 nights and 3 full days in Rome and I would have happily stayed longer. The Borghese is not to be missed and there is much more there than just the gallery, the grounds alone are amazing. You could easily spend a full day there. And walking the Forum - it is very large if you do both levels and there are numerous pathways that lead to stunning vantage points for views of the city. I could go on, and on about Rome, but you get the idea.

I also agree to skip Sorrento this trip, it is a long way to go to just see one city and the whole area has lots to offer for another time. I recommend less "between" travelling and more time exploring each locale.

We spent an entire week in Tuscany and only scratched the surface of the wonderful hill towns - there are tons more than the ones you see on every "must see" list and each one has a charm that is unique to it alone.

Rick Steves audio Europe guide is a free download and there are tons of items on the playlist for Italy. The walking tours of various places are easy to navigate and have great info.

But no matter what you decide, you'll have a fabulous time in Italy. I would go back in a hearbeat. Enjoy!

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good schedule. Sept/Oct is much better than summer which gets too hot.

+1 skip Sorrento. Add 1 - 2 more nights in Rome. Request for the Catacombs Tour with the Vatican now. We missed this last time because we requested this too late. We hired a private tour guide through our hotel concierge to see the Vatican and the Coluseum and it was well worth the price (including private limo to get there and back). Skipped the lines, great history lessons and used our limited time wisely to see what's most important. It was also great to speak with a local about Rome and how it is changing.

You can see Cinque Terre in one day from Borgo including hiking from one town to the next and using the train, but it will be an early/late day. At least one night is good. IMO... enjoyed Cinque Terre more than Venice. Venice is overrun with tourists but you have to see it once.

You will need a car to stay at Borgo but can do the rest via train. Don't forget to rent bikes to ride on the wall around Lucca. The ancient walled city of Lucca is not mentioned much but is a pleasant surprise.

Lucca is a great suggestion. You can include Pisa on the same day as the two cities are close to one another. If you plan another day trip in Tuscany go visit Siena. It’s a wonderful city with a lot to see.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Lucca is a great suggestion. You can include Pisa on the same day as the two cities are close to one another. If you plan another day trip in Tuscany go visit Siena. It’s a wonderful city with a lot to see.

In Siena, we found a wine vender on a side-street who was willing to ship direct to the States for a reasonable fee. We ordered two cases.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just going to add my agreement to the wonderful suggestions thus far. Skip Sorrento as there is so much more to do and see in that area (Naples, Capri, Pompei...etc). It needs a proper trip of its own and Sorrento alone isn't worth the detour for just two nights.

On transportation, I would not hesitate to drive BETWEEN any of these locations, but I would not want to keep a car anywhere except Tuscany. In Venice (not allowed anyhow), Rome and Cinque Terra a car is just a pain for parking...etc. Train travel between most of these is quite easy, reasonably priced and frequent. However, unless you stay in Florence proper, you will need a car for Tuscany.

Another tip - I have taken excellent golf cart tours in both Rome and Florence that really allow you to see the city efficiently and provide guides that give you wonderful history of both the city and sites. The golf carts give you access to the tiny back streets of these cities and there's always a small space they can park right nearby the big sites. It's a wonderful way to give your feet a bit of a break.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
J

On transportation, I would not hesitate to drive BETWEEN any of these locations, but I would not want to keep a car anywhere except Tuscany. In Venice (not allowed anyhow), Rome and Cinque Terra a car is just a pain for parking...etc. Train travel between most of these is quite easy, reasonably priced and frequent. However, unless you stay in Florence proper, you will need a car for Tuscany.

I just want to again emphasize the point I made above about potential ticket dangers of driving IN any of these Tuscan towns. Many (maybe all?) have not-well-marked "Restricted" zones where one needs a paid access or one can get a ticket. And it will get sent to he rental company who will charge you for the privilege of letting the ticketing authority know who you are. Trust me, it happened to us :)

Now, this was maybe 6-7 years ago and things may have changed, but worth looking into the permits/zones for any cities you plan to drive into.

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I just want to again emphasize the point I made above about potential ticket dangers of driving IN any of these Tuscan towns. Many (maybe all?) have not-well-marked "Restricted" zones where one needs a paid access or one can get a ticket. And it will get sent to he rental company who will charge you for the privilege of letting the ticketing authority know who you are. Trust me, it happened to us :)
A good GPS or mapping app will show those zones and can route you away from them so you can avoid them.

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There are hidden traffic cameras on the roads so watch your speed and follow the rules. Otherwise you may end up with a traffic ticket in the mail several months after your trip.

rdw95

Reaction score
We love Italy - we spent 2 weeks in Borgo last year. We try to go back to Italy somewhere at least every other year, and lived there in the 80's in Gaeta.

Venice is beautiful, but we have been there several times, and just enjoy wondering about. One thing about Venice that many people do not think about is that the train station dumps you out at the Grand Canal. We have Never stayed in Venice, but have visited 4 - 5 times. The truly bad thing about Venice is that it is becoming overran with people. You can stay in some place like Vicenza, take a 30 minute train ride into Venice in the morning, then go back at night.

We absolutely LOVE Florence. We have been there 10 - 12 times, and have favorite places to go and stay. You cannot drive in the central area. Our favorite B&B is close to the piazza where the brass pig is - it is a famous landmark in Florence. They say if you rub it's nose, you will return and have good luck. It is located about 1/2 way between the River to the Duomo. Another thing we love about the location is that sometimes restrooms are hard to find - so it is a great "pit stop" location. Another neat place in Florence - which is really a dive - is the fish and chips place in the large indoor market about 3 blocks from the train station. It is in the back corner on the first floor, and its name is Ultima Spiggia Fish and Chips. They have the BEST calamari, gamberi (shrimp) and fish. We go back each time we are in Florence, and the owners remember us. We take a new set of pictures and show them the next time we return, and they love it.

Rome - ah...what can you say. Beauty everywhere. One of the things we love to do is walk, and get off the tourist routes. It is amazing the little spots you find, and the food. Try to find a true family Trattoria, not a big restaurant. True Trattoria's are run by a family, with usually 3 - 4 things cooked that day, and always something new each day. If you are interested in looking into visiting the forum or colosseum, book your tours now. We have used Viator in the past with excellent result. Also, if any ladies in the group wants to have custom sandals made, there are some great shops that have been written up in US magazines. My wife got a couple of pairs, and love them. Additionally, if you have Hilton Honors points, there are a couple of great hotels you can use. We stayed at one, and used the trolley to get around.

If you rent a car, use Waze. It will automatically alert you to the speed cameras. Plus, we found it to give great directions.

I agree with others that I would split trips up north and south. We lived about 1/2 way between Napoli and Roma when there, and love southern Italy. We really like Sorrento, but again don't feel we have to cram everything in. We just sometimes enjoy sitting, having something to drink or a cup of cappuccino and people watching. One of my favorite meals in Sorrento is a small restaurant that has large Crab stuffed with pasta.

I can go on and on..but need to stop. Hope you have a wonderful visit and enjoy it.