• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just cancelled my RCI membership

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Not a big surprise, but I finally got around to cancelling. I have requested a refund, which is better than nothing.

It's not as drastic as it seems as I still have access through HGVC and I can get a discounted membership any time I want through my Grand Pacific properties, so I can still access the inventory when I need to. But at the moment, I can do better using other companies so there is no need to maintain this account. It was very fun while it lasted!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Our RCI account expires January 2020. We have 1TPU left. Used our TPUs to take vacations in 2019.
Will wait til last minute to decide to renew or not.

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
I just paid my RCI for another 5 years... everything in life goes up.... and we want to be able to trade into nice places and can only do it through RCI.... and with owning the Grandview at Las Vegas we already have really low MF's life is good RCI works for us.... :)

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just paid my RCI for another 5 years... everything in life goes up.... and we want to be able to trade into nice places and can only do it through RCI.... and with owning the Grandview at Las Vegas we already have really low MF's life is good RCI works for us.... :)
Is this in points? Because my HGVC RCI account sees points inventory which (imo) is much better than what I see in my weeks account. I'm am truly glad that it works for you because when it works, it's lots of fun.

And I agree that our happiness depends on what we own to trade and where we want to go. Try as I might, I just couldn't find inventory that worked for us, but I can make good trades in II all day long for about $200 - including eplus (or ~$150 without). In fact I had to let 11 TPU's expire, even though I was searching right up until their expiration date. It didn't help that they were 5 tpu's and 6 tpu's and it wasn't worth it to pay to combine. All of the west coast inventory was either much more expensive in TPU's and I would have had to make another deposit and then pay to combine plus the exchange fee - so in the neighborhood of $350+ or it was just places that I wasn't interested in. I used to be fine with RCI, but the last two years weren't so good.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have over 250 TPUs in RCI and am now actively looking for other options. I like the Global Choice option that HICV has where eligible deposits I make in RCI can for $75 be converted to HICV points. Given the RCI $239 and increasing exchange fee, I am better off moving it to HICV. Sure I pay the $75 fee to transfer and a $64 fee to Book in HICV, but I have access to some TX properties that are closer to home and the combined fee to book is $139 with NO guest fees to pay.

I will never cancel my account as my weeks account if included in my Wyndham membership. So because I do not may an annual fee, I do not need it to go away.

Last edited:

Magic1962

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grandview at Las Vegas 122000 points annually....
Is this in points? Because my HGVC RCI account sees points inventory which (imo) is much better than what I see in my weeks account. I'm am truly glad that it works for you because when it works, it's lots of fun.

And I agree that our happiness depends on what we own to trade and where we want to go. Try as I might, I just couldn't find inventory that worked for us, but I can make good trades in II all day long for about $200 - including eplus (or ~$150 without). In fact I had to let 11 TPU's expire, even though I was searching right up until their expiration date. It didn't help that they were 5 tpu's and 6 tpu's and it wasn't worth it to pay to combine. All of the west coast inventory was either much more expensive in TPU's and I would have had to make another deposit and then pay to combine plus the exchange fee - so in the neighborhood of $350+ or it was just places that I wasn't interested in. I used to be fine with RCI, but the last two years weren't so good.

Yeah it must make a difference with point inventory and not TPU’s, if we didn’t have RCI we would only be able to trade in the Timeshares offered by Grandview and would not be able to have gone to Hawaii... and to Hilton Head every year.... it doesn’t seem fair you don’t have all the exchanges I have... it’s like a lower class.... we also have Platinum so we have got last minute trades into Hilton Head that we wouldn’t be able to do with out RCI.... Good luck in your trading!!! Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Weeks owner. Haven't belonged in many years now and don't miss it.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I had planned to cancel and made arrangements to use up my TPU but then...
plans changed and I still have 32 TPU to use AND
my husband went and bought another timeshare off eBay!

So we're back to having 4 ownerships, 3 of which can trade in RCI. We plan to use most of the time but I foresee plenty of need to deposit and exchange, thus I renewed and even upgraded to Platinum. OMG what am I doing??

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I had planned to cancel and made arrangements to use up my TPU but then...
plans changed and I still have 32 TPU to use AND
my husband went and bought another timeshare off eBay!

So we're back to having 4 ownerships, 3 of which can trade in RCI. We plan to use most of the time but I foresee plenty of need to deposit and exchange, thus I renewed and even upgraded to Platinum. OMG what am I doing??
It’s called the Timeshare Syndrome. We just can’t help ourselves. You are in good company. I have it too. :eek::eek:

jbiza

TUG Member
Reaction score

+1

I look at dealing with RCI that way also as RCi works for how I need to use it. :)

Also, I can easily rationalize the annual membership fee by just going to a presentation/tour to get resort updates, listen for any new T/S info from the resort perspective & get an incentive/gift card ($$) that offsets the RCI fee. :cool:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
William Wallace moment?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s called the Timeshare Syndrome. We just can’t help ourselves. You are in good company. I have it too. :eek::eek:

Ya...I wasn't going to deposit anymore, but I'm keeping my account for EV and LC. The only thing I would want/need to exchange into with RCI is DVC....but heck no not at 50-60 TPUs, I will go stay at a Marriott in Orlando instead. BUT....now they have been consistently at 30 TPUs....

I will have a decision next time my EOY that is dual comes up for deposit time again.....

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Another reason I am not a points owner- you are tied into using the exchange company- unless you convert back to weeks.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading through exchange companies makes little sense to us anymore. Maintenance fees + annual membership fees + exchange fees + upgrade fees + resort fees have gotten crazy high. Thankfully, we have lots of flexibility, so we still get great use out of RCI and Interval for Extra Vacations, Getaways, and Last Minute Deals (way cheaper than exchanging). We love spending a week in a great resort for a few hundred dollars!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have over 250 TPUs in RCI and am now actively looking for other options. I like the Global Choice option that HICV has where eligible deposits I make in RCI can for $75 be converted to HICV points. Given the RCI $239 and increasing exchange fee, I am better off moving it to HICV. Sure I pay the $75 fee to transfer and a $64 fee to Book in HICV, but I have access to some TX properties that are closer to home and the combined fee to book is $139 with NO guest fees to pay.

I will never cancel my account as my weeks account if included in my Wyndham membership. So because I do not may an annual fee, I do not need it to go away.

Have you used global choice/access yet? A member on the HICV forum said they called and was told that regardless of tpu a deposit would only get 60,000 HICV points. I know this is contrary to your post a while back that indicated the points received were based on how many tpu's a week received.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Have you used global choice/access yet? A member on the HICV forum said they called and was told that regardless of tpu a deposit would only get 60,000 HICV points. I know this is contrary to your post a while back that indicated the points received were based on how many tpu's a week received.

I have, but the TPU mapped to 60K. I am trying to locate the Global Choice documentation. PM me if you want me to send you info.

I called, and there is still a mapping, not just a single point value you obtain in HICV. (They are going to send me an email with this information.) These are the levels I would be depositing, so these are the only levels I wrote down, if you have higher TPUs then higher HICV Points would apply.

TPUs HICV Received.
24-28 100K
19-23 90K
16-18 80K
01-15 60K

Last edited: