• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just finished 3rd HGVC presentation and nearly ready to buy (resale)... final questions

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
For the third time, thanks HGVC for the great week, but no, we aren’t buying from you.

We are midway through the VIP week at Grand Islander at HHV. We are in a 2 BR ocean view. These are sweet rooms. I think these cost 12k or 14k per week or some such and cost around six figures. Anyway, our sales agent really misread us today, going superlow in his ‘final best offer’ when we are more likely to buy bigger. He offered us 3500 EOY points for $12k plus a 10,000 bonus point offer. That sounds like, what, a studio in GI EOY? Anyway, he was finding ways to knock $10 off the monthly payment and we were just rolling our eyes; we aren’t monthly payment shoppers.

However, after the closer left our salesman guessed correctly that they undersold us and said he would have offered us 7200 EOY for $25,000 and 25,000 bonus points with $1400 MF. And I have to admit that caught my attention. That sounds like a 1 BR EOY in GI for $25,000, plus 25,000 bonus points worth 3 more seasons which is probably worth $7000-$10,000 in comparable bookings (we typically rent a 2 BR Lagoon for $2500-$2800 per week from owners and that is 7000 points). So then we’re into the $15,000-$18,000 range for a 1 BR EOY in GI, or a 2 BR EOY in Lagoon? That’s not the worst deal in the world, is it?

Anyway, we didn’t buy - never were going to.

We are interested in HGVC ownership and we come to Oahu, usually HHV, every year and have for nearly a decade. We rent from owners, have done a couple presentations, etc. We have family here so this is not a temporary situation. We want to have the home reservation period to ensure getting our desired weeks.

On the resale market, there are several 7000 point Lagoons available for $17k-$20k. I’ve read about the HGVC system for years but the one thing I don’t understand is the ‘upgrading’ of properties for direct owners vs resale owners. It seems buying resale, if I have a 7000 point Lagoon and instead want to buy a 14,400 point GI, I can’t just buy 7400 points and have a new deed at GI with a single MF; insead I have to either buy 7400 points and have 2 deeds with 2 MFs, and only book in club season at GI; or I can sell the Lagoon and buy a 14,400 point deed at GI. Do I have this right? And the disadvantage of having two deeds like this is the MFs will be higher per point, as compared to a single deed?

The GI is super gorgeous but the Lagoon is fine for our needs. For a similar number of points we’d rather have 2 weeks at Lagoon than 1 week at GI, but it seems like the MFs would be higher for 2 Lagoon weeks than 1 GI week. Do I have this all correct?

I know the ROFR issue is a bugaboo esp for HHV properties but I’m willing to take the chance to try to get a steep discount off developer prices.

Any other tips, suggestions, etc?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Buying resale will easily save you 70-80% of the retail price, no matter how they package it. You will pay a separate set of MF's for each unit that you buy... two units = 2 sets of MF's, although EOY units only pay MF's for the year of use. The small club (membership) dues are only one per account. All units titled in the same way are combined in a single account.

At each resort, MF's are based on the size/class of the unit (not season). So, the same unit at a resort, pays the same MF, regardless of its season -- which means platinum scores the most points per MF$, next gold. While folks do own silver+bronze, they are poor values and often giveaways.

Flamingo does not have ROFR, but prices are not much different than other true-HGVC resorts. Buying at an affiliate (i.e. Bay Club, SW Florida), can be a good value as they typically do not have ROFR and prices are lower. At affiliates membership is voluntary (except Valdoro). If you elect to join, the transfer fee (if any) is whatever the affiliate charges. You pay the voluntary activation fee to HGVC. Typically, you cancel your week each year to take the points, instead.

Hope this helps, some.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
On the resale market, there are several 7000 point Lagoons available for $17k-$20k. I’ve read about the HGVC system for years but the one thing I don’t understand is the ‘upgrading’ of properties for direct owners vs resale owners. It seems buying resale, if I have a 7000 point Lagoon and instead want to buy a 14,400 point GI, I can’t just buy 7400 points and have a new deed at GI with a single MF; insead I have to either buy 7400 points and have 2 deeds with 2 MFs, and only book in club season at GI; or I can sell the Lagoon and buy a 14,400 point deed at GI. Do I have this right? And the disadvantage of having two deeds like this is the MFs will be higher per point, as compared to a single deed?

The GI is super gorgeous but the Lagoon is fine for our needs. For a similar number of points we’d rather have 2 weeks at Lagoon than 1 week at GI, but it seems like the MFs would be higher for 2 Lagoon weeks than 1 GI week. Do I have this all correct?

I know the ROFR issue is a bugaboo esp for HHV properties but I’m willing to take the chance to try to get a steep discount off developer prices.

Can I ask for some clarification for your question? I’m not quite sure what you want in your hypothetical 2 Lagoon Tower/1 Grand Islander question. I believe you are looking to get potentially buying up to 14000 points to get 2 weeks at Lagoon tower, correct?

The home booking season is only good for points at your home resort in your home season. If you were to buy that 14,400 unit at Grand Islander, you could only use your home booking window at GI for a 2 bedroom premiere during the platinum season. Your club booking window would be the same as everybody else’s at Lagoon tower. If you are spending the money at GI for two weeks at Lagoon Tower, there are cheaper ways to do that. I would suggest purchasing 2 LV strip 2 bedroom platinum units. They run anywhere from $7000 to $9000 and the combined MF’s would be less than the Grand Islander. Either way, you would lose the home season booking window at Lagoon tower.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We are interested in HGVC ownership and we come to Oahu, usually HHV, every year and have for nearly a decade. We rent from owners, have done a couple presentations, etc. We have family here so this is not a temporary situation. We want to have the home reservation period to ensure getting our desired weeks.

Just a reminder that points don’t come into play during the home reservation period.

If you want to book a stay during the home week period then you must reserve the exact unit size and type in the season that you purchased (for example 1 bedroom plus in Platinum Season) for the exact number of days owned (full week) based on the fixed checkin date at your home resort. For the Lagoon Tower, the Home week checkin day is Saturday. Platinum Season weeks @ Lagoon Tower are #1-18, 23-35, and 42-52 and Gold Season weeks @ Lagoon Tower are #19-22 and 36-41.

You’ll have priority access to your home week from 12 months to 9 months before check in. The flexible point based system doesn't apply during the home week booking period.
NOTE: Only points earned in the use year can be used in the home week window. Borrowed or Saved points can not be used in the home week window.

See post #2 & #3 in this sticky thread for various HGVC Reservation Windows - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...y-hilton-club-booking-window-overview.274977/

HGVC Weeks Calendar - https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/1efa97d3-c330-4b4f-83e3-38d94945f727/2019 Vacation Calendar R1 Web.pdf
HGVC Seasons - https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.net/static/documents/16b7713f-ec3a-492a-83d8-ec66888df08c/WEB 2019 Seasons Chart R6a Final.pdf

HGVC sells weeks (not points).
So yes, if you need more points then you either have to buy another week or sell your existing week to buy a different week that provides more points.

Each HGVC Resort has different seasons, unit sizes/types and point requirements.
Maintenance Fees are generally based on unit size. Number of points allocated to each week varies by resort and generally based on unit size, unit type (i.e. plus, premier, etc) and season.

HGVC Point charts - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-points-charts.287779/

See Maintenance Fee sticky thread - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ations-club-2019-maintenance-fee-list.280402/

For ROFR... If at first you don’t succeed, try try again

See post #1 and #2 in ROFR Sticky thread - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/rofr-exercised-passed.253426/

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Flamingo does not have ROFR, but prices are not much different than other true-HGVC resorts. Buying at an affiliate (i.e. Bay Club, SW Florida), can be a good value as they typically do not have ROFR and prices are lower.

Although MFs at the Vegas resorts tend to be among the lowest, so that should be considered as well. Of couse, the OP seems interested in Hone Week reservations, so buying points to use as points is not relevant in this case.

Cheers.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Flamingo does not have ROFR, but prices are not much different than other true-HGVC resorts. Buying at an affiliate (i.e. Bay Club, SW Florida), can be a good value as they typically do not have ROFR and prices are lower. At affiliates membership is voluntary (except Valdoro). If you elect to join, the transfer fee (if any) is whatever the affiliate charges. You pay the voluntary activation fee to HGVC. Typically, you cancel your week each year to take the points, instead.

If buying at affiliates, is there a risk that the affiliates won't be part of the HGVC program in future? Do you have any term in your contract? I'm considering buying at an affiliate but I don't want to end up with that week as the places in Florida are not easy for me to visit.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
would they really have offered 7200 points EOY at GI for $25,000 plus 25,000 bonus points? if owning at GI were a priority that wouldn’t have been the worst way to get in since the bonus points would have offset a good amount of the upfront costs. what do you think?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can I ask for some clarification for your question? I’m not quite sure what you want in your hypothetical 2 Lagoon Tower/1 Grand Islander question. I believe you are looking to get potentially buying up to 14000 points to get 2 weeks at Lagoon tower, correct?

The home booking season is only good for points at your home resort in your home season. If you were to buy that 14,400 unit at Grand Islander, you could only use your home booking window at GI for a 2 bedroom premiere during the platinum season. Your club booking window would be the same as everybody else’s at Lagoon tower. If you are spending the money at GI for two weeks at Lagoon Tower, there are cheaper ways to do that. I would suggest purchasing 2 LV strip 2 bedroom platinum units. They run anywhere from $7000 to $9000 and the combined MF’s would be less than the Grand Islander. Either way, you would lose the home season booking window at Lagoon tower.
i want a 2br week at lagoon, but wanted to know how i could increase that in the future if i wanted. like we might stay two weeks.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

The risk of an affiliate leaving the system is low. However the risk of a reciprocal alliance is high. For example, the Club Intrawest system in Whistler that could be reserved with HGVC points went away when Intrawest was purchased by Diamond (a competitor.) Fiesta Americana is another example of a reciprocal that could change in the future if HGVC expands in Mexico e.g. new HGVC in Cabo Hilton or if FA is acquired by a competitor.

Grand Islander and other affiliates are ineligible for Hilton buybacks if you someday want to deed it back/sell to HGVC, or apply upgrade credits. Some FL affiliates work with both RCI and II so you could get cash getaways in shoulder seasons for Marriott, Westin, Sheraton and Hyatts.

For Vegas the 7k+ point properties to consider with low buy-in and MF are the FEPS:

Flamingo
Elara (HGV units only)
Paradise (aka Karen)
Strip (aka BLVD)

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If buying at affiliates, is there a risk that the affiliates won't be part of the HGVC program in future? Do you have any term in your contract? I'm considering buying at an affiliate but I don't want to end up with that week as the places in Florida are not easy for me to visit.

What are you looking to purchase? I ask this because there really isn’t an exact definition of what an affiliate is. If you are purchasing one of the SW Florida affiliates, you should be alright. Only two have left HGVC and it was the resorts that chose to leave. The HGVC owners were grandfathered in and are/were members. The big difference is that thence sold, they would no longer be affiliated with a HGVC.

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bay Club is so thoroughly integrated with HGVC
Waikoloa Resort that there is near zero chance it will be disaffiliated. You can buy resale there cheap if it suit your needs.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Bay Club is so thoroughly integrated with HGVC
Waikoloa Resort that there is near zero chance it will be disaffiliated. You can buy resale there cheap if it suit your needs.

good to know

What are you looking to purchase? I ask this because there really isn’t an exact definition of what an affiliate is. If you are purchasing one of the SW Florida affiliates, you should be alright. Only two have left HGVC and it was the resorts that chose to leave. The HGVC owners were grandfathered in and are/were members. The big difference is that thence sold, they would no longer be affiliated with a HGVC.

Just started looking into this. I was thinking 1 BR Anderson Ocean club for 6200 points.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
good to know

Just started looking into this. I was thinking 1 BR Anderson Ocean club for 6200 points.

You should have no problems with that. HGVC has partnered with Strand Capitol on that property and are fully integrated into HGVC. HGVC sells intervals and manages the property. They also are partnered together on the two other Myrtle Beach resorts Ocean 22 and Ocean Enclave.

BTW - that’s a great interval. The MF per points is a great ratio! $.12 per point is definitely something you want.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back to my situation, sounds like my best bet is to buy 7000 at Lagoon, then whatever other points I want at the cheapest place I can find. That way I always have the minimum one week at Lagoon but can also use all the points if I need more to get a 2 BR in another location, like NYC or Waikoloa, or eventually Maui, at the nine month window. Does this sound right?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That is correct. Are you looking home week in Lagoon 7000 Gold season Ocean Front or Penthouse? or 7000 Platinum 2 bdrm IV?

upload_2019-4-3_14-2-51.png

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back to my situation, sounds like my best bet is to buy 7000 at Lagoon, then whatever other points I want at the cheapest place I can find. That way I always have the minimum one week at Lagoon but can also use all the points if I need more to get a 2 BR in another location, like NYC or Waikoloa, or eventually Maui, at the nine month window. Does this sound right?

That’s seems right except you can’t book NYC with HGVC points until 60 days prior. West 57th and The Residences are both by Hilton Club. by Hilton Club properties have different rules and booking windows than regular HGVC.

One last thought: if you always go to Lagoon tower a certain time of the year, make sure you purchase in that season. When you book your home week, it has to be the same unit size, designation and season as what you purchased. If not, than you will not have the home week booking advantage. Just owning at a resort does not give you the home booking advantage. It has to be exactly the same unit size, designation and season.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2 BR platinum season. Didn't know that about NYC. What is availability like at 60 days out?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that about NYC. What is availability like at 60 days out?

We own there and book at 9 months, so don't know. However, no need to ask - you can look for yourself on the HGVC site.

Cheers.

junk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 16800, Grand waikikian 12600 EOY, Boulevard 7000
For the third time, thanks HGVC for the great week, but no, we aren’t buying from you.

We are midway through the VIP week at Grand Islander at HHV. We are in a 2 BR ocean view. These are sweet rooms. I think these cost 12k or 14k per week or some such and cost around six figures. Anyway, our sales agent really misread us today, going superlow in his ‘final best offer’ when we are more likely to buy bigger. He offered us 3500 EOY points for $12k plus a 10,000 bonus point offer. That sounds like, what, a studio in GI EOY? Anyway, he was finding ways to knock $10 off the monthly payment and we were just rolling our eyes; we aren’t monthly payment shoppers.

However, after the closer left our salesman guessed correctly that they undersold us and said he would have offered us 7200 EOY for $25,000 and 25,000 bonus points with $1400 MF. And I have to admit that caught my attention. That sounds like a 1 BR EOY in GI for $25,000, plus 25,000 bonus points worth 3 more seasons which is probably worth $7000-$10,000 in comparable bookings (we typically rent a 2 BR Lagoon for $2500-$2800 per week from owners and that is 7000 points). So then we’re into the $15,000-$18,000 range for a 1 BR EOY in GI, or a 2 BR EOY in Lagoon? That’s not the worst deal in the world, is it?

Anyway, we didn’t buy - never were going to.

If you gonna spent 17k to 20k for lagoon 2BR platinum, you can find the 2BR plus with 8400 points instead. Which has better MF ratio.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
2 BR platinum season. Didn't know that about NYC. What is availability like at 60 days out?

Dismal, usually. (Although we typically go in early October, which is sem-prime season). If you only need 1 night, *maybe* 2 nights, it's doable. Your odds increase if it's a weekday (Monday-Thursday) that you're looking for. Also depends on what time of year. Note that even if you can snag 1-2 nights, you may not get the room you want. You may only be able to get a studio, or you may have to take the Penthouse unit at a lot more points. Sometimes it's cheaper to just book a Hilton hotel. Especially if you're only able to get W57th because of the cleaning fee (I think it's $85 now?) in addition to the booking fee and points cost. Plus if you have Gold or higher status with Hilton (easily achievable with the Amex/Hilton credit card) you can usually get a free breakfast as well, so that also helps offset costs.

Currently, I am seeing a lot of availability for non-weekend days in April for both W57 and the Residences.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus if you have Gold or higher status with Hilton (easily achievable with the Amex/Hilton credit card) you can usually get a free breakfast as well, so that also helps offset costs.

Depends on the particular Hilton brand and property. The perk is for "continental breakfast" and some hold to this. At Hilton Midtown, for example, it is strictly continental and it's something like $18 for a real breakfast. And this is even for Diamond (the offerings in the Executive Lounge) are paltry. So, without checking first. I wouldn't count on the breakfast offset.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
For included breakfast and evening appetizers, rent from a W57, HCNY, or Residence owner and you gain access to the owner's lounge as their guest. HGVC Club non-owners and RCI trades do not have access to the lounge.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends on the particular Hilton brand and property. The perk is for "continental breakfast" and some hold to this. At Hilton Midtown, for example, it is strictly continental and it's something like $18 for a real breakfast. And this is even for Diamond (the offerings in the Executive Lounge) are paltry. So, without checking first. I wouldn't count on the breakfast offset.

Cheers.

This is true. We last stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn by Times Square had hot breakfast (buffet) for gold/diamond members at no extra charge. Eggs, omeletes, pancakes/french toast, etc. Small area to eat in, but yes, every place is diff. Some offer no breakfast, some offer just continental. But it's easy to check first what they have.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
For included breakfast and evening appetizers, rent from a W57, HCNY, or Residence owner and you gain access to the owner's lounge as their guest. HGVC Club non-owners and RCI trades do not have access to the lounge.

Yes, there's that, but, IMO, that will in no way offset the rather expensive (IMO) cost to rent from an owner. Probably cheaper to just go out and eat, IMO.

For example, 4 nights on redweek in a studio will run you about $950.00

Points cost is approx. 3,675 points (I think 4 nights is enough to waive the cleaning fee?), at, "my" points cost, would be $661.
So not sure an extra $300 for free breakfast for 2 people for 4 days is worth it.