• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just narrowly escaped...questions

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I went to a Wyndham Timeshare presentation for the free trip, and eventually they made the price so low for us that we joined, considering we take a lot of vacations every year. But then when we got home we did research and found so many reviews of people saying they can't get bookings when they want because it's always too full, so I sent in my letter and fax, and called, and verified that they refunded the deposit to my credit card and cancelled the contract. My question is -- what is the proper way to go about buying/using these timeshares that is actually beneficial? Is there any at all, or should we just avoid these at all costs. I browsed around and saw that some people bought points directly from Wyndham without signing a contract. I am open to suggestions on how to go about these timeshares where it is actually worth it.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
You've come to the right place. TUG is the best source of free advice on timeshares. Splurge for a membership -- it's worth it a hundred times over.

Almost universally on TUG, the advice is to buy resale (as opposed to retail -- from the developer, Wyndham in this case). Nearly as universal is the advice to rent in several locations before you take the plunge. That means trying out different systems as well (Wyndham, Marriott, Hyatt, Sheraton, etc., but NOT Westgate). This means you ought not decide anything for a couple of years minimum. No reason to be in a hurry.

Not so universal advice (meaning, from me): don't buy real property with someone who is not your spouse. Almost everything that can happen is bad. There are any number of threads on this topic here on TUG -- some heart wrenching, some just plain stupid.

Last edited:

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been Timesharing for about 20 years. The big thing is learning how to best use your membership or week. I think the biggest thing that puts people off is that the salesman make you believe you can go anywhere, anytime you want and that is just not the case. While you can sometimes plan on short notice, in general you will be happiest with your purchase if you can plan ahead. Most systems that means 9 -12 months in advance.

And I believe resale is the best way. The developer advantages just do not justify the price difference

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Welcome to TUG! I can only speak for me and my family but owning a Wyndham timeshare is definitely worth it for us. We initially bought developer points from Wyndham that got us to VIP Silver. We are currently in the process of buying a couple of resale contracts that will give us a total of 779k points. Only once have I had a problem getting a reservation and that was my fault. I wanted to go to the beach on short notice in spring and nothing was available. Otherwise, I’ve always gotten the location I wanted but not always the preferred room type. Still, every room I’ve had at a timeshare has been better than a hotel room.

As chapjim said, spend the 15 bucks to join TUG so you have access to the entire site. That’s how I found the 2 contracts (329k points) I’m currently purchasing. All I’m having to pay is the closing costs ($150), and Wyndham’s transfer fee ($299 per contract). You can also find great rental opportunities on TUG if you can travel on short notice. That would be an inexpensive way for you to explore timeshares and find which company and locations are right for your situation. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I went to a Wyndham Timeshare presentation for the free trip, and eventually they made the price so low for us that we joined, considering we take a lot of vacations every year. But then when we got home we did research and found so many reviews of people saying they can't get bookings when they want because it's always too full, so I sent in my letter and fax, and called, and verified that they refunded the deposit to my credit card and cancelled the contract. My question is -- what is the proper way to go about buying/using these timeshares that is actually beneficial? Is there any at all, or should we just avoid these at all costs. I browsed around and saw that some people bought points directly from Wyndham without signing a contract. I am open to suggestions on how to go about these timeshares where it is actually worth it.

Timesharing can be worth it if you like the accommodations and put in the research to learn how to get best value out of them. As others have said, renting is an excellent way to find out if you like the accommodations. Then you can study the pros and cons of the various timeshare systems to see if they fit your needs. You may find its better off to keep renting or use VRBO or airbnb. Many of these online tools weren't around when all these timeshares got started.

Take your time and learn, because if you don't you'll likely be disappointed.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There is a Questionnaire on New To Time Sharing to help you sort your thought process. The only downside to the Questionnaire is that it focuses on week ownership. So it does not help that much for a true Point/Credit timeshare where there is no Home Resort. But you do have to plan and Book 12 to 13 months in advance.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

What was the price of your rescinded timeshare. Generally, you book up to 10 months in advance. The people that can’t book don’t do it 10 months in advance. I have 381k Wyndham points, all bought for $200.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy right away. I suggest renting timeshares for a while to see if you really want to own one. There are some limitations within owning timeshares. It sounds like you enjoy traveling quite a bit. You may decide later that you do want one, but travel preferences change over time. And don't buy one with your girlfriend and have both names on anything. That will be a big pain later on. Only put it in the name of whoever wants to be stuck with it and responsible or payments for it.

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! I can only speak for me and my family but owning a Wyndham timeshare is definitely worth it for us. We initially bought developer points from Wyndham that got us to VIP Silver. We are currently in the process of buying a couple of resale contracts that will give us a total of 779k points. Only once have I had a problem getting a reservation and that was my fault. I wanted to go to the beach on short notice in spring and nothing was available. Otherwise, I’ve always gotten the location I wanted but not always the preferred room type. Still, every room I’ve had at a timeshare has been better than a hotel room.

As chapjim said, spend the 15 bucks to join TUG so you have access to the entire site. That’s how I found the 2 contracts (329k points) I’m currently purchasing. All I’m having to pay is the closing costs ($150), and Wyndham’s transfer fee ($299 per contract). You can also find great rental opportunities on TUG if you can travel on short notice. That would be an inexpensive way for you to explore timeshares and find which company and locations are right for your situation. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the welcome! Wow. So 329k points, and all you're paying is $150 + $299? No monthly fee thereafter? You're paying maintenance right?

Reaction score
What was the price of your rescinded timeshare. Generally, you book up to 10 months in advance. The people that can’t book don’t do it 10 months in advance. I have 381k Wyndham points, all bought for $200.

So $200 for 381k points? No monthly fee thereafter, or maintenance?

Reaction score

5000 points, $15,000 total, with $3009 downpayment, $217 a month, and $135 quarterly for maintenance fees.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the welcome! Wow. So 329k points, and all you're paying is $150 + $299? No monthly fee thereafter? You're paying maintenance right?
All TS have MF afterwards. Your rescinded TS had MF afterwards too. If they told you otherwise, they were lying.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
5000 points, $15,000 total, with $3009 downpayment, $217 a month, and $135 quarterly for maintenance fees.
Was this 5k WorldMark points, or 50k Wyndham points? Honestly, doesn't seem like you got a low price. For most TS, there are three people selling: salesperson, sales supervisor, and closer. If you deny one, you move onto another.

Salesperson usually sells for $15k-$20k. Sales supervisor sells for $8k-10k. Closer sells for $4k-$5k. You didn't even reach the sales supervisor stage.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All TS have MF afterwards. Your rescinded TS had MF afterwards too. If they told you otherwise, they were lying.

The MF was $135 quarterly. I was just asking what your monthly costs were because you had mentioned 381k points for $200, so I was wondering what other costs there would be after that $200.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The MF was $135 quarterly. I was just asking what your monthly costs were because you had mentioned 381k points for $200, so I was wondering what other costs there would be after that $200.
My MF for 381k pts is $199/month including program fee.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so 5300-1000 dollars in maintenance fees? Seems like a lot? But what do I know :)
These are yearly MF split into 12 months. My MF for 381k points are $2,392 for the entire year or $199/month. Lower MF means pricier sales contracts. I attached a good chart for you.

Attachments

• A9A24086-C0E8-40F5-9769-A616F158EF5D.jpeg
    A9A24086-C0E8-40F5-9769-A616F158EF5D.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Was this 5k WorldMark points, or 50k Wyndham points? Honestly, doesn't seem like you got a low price. For most TS, there are three people selling: salesperson, sales supervisor, and closer. If you deny one, you move onto another.

Salesperson usually sells for $15k-$20k. Sales supervisor sells for $8k-10k. Closer sells for $4k-$5k. You didn't even reach the sales supervisor stage.
It was WorldMark by Wyndham - we did reach the sales supervisor, but apparently the price wasn't sales supervisor status lol

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
For less than the amount of your down-payment, you can get a 10,000 point Worldmark membership. Those contracts are readily posted for sale here:

https://wmowners.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=71

If you live in the west, Worldmark is a really nice system. It's the one I'm in. There are many systems, though, and it pays to take time to research what is the best fit for you before you take the plunge. For many, buying a timeshare is a horrible idea and they shouldn't do it. My advice is to post the answers to the survey questions in this forum:

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/new-to-timesharing-look-here.17/

It's a really good way to figure out what might or might not make sense for you.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It was WorldMark by Wyndham - we did reach the sales supervisor, but apparently the price wasn't sales supervisor status lol
Actually, since you mentioned it was WorldMark, that makes a huge difference. For WorldMark, salesperson is $25k-$30k. Salesperson is $13k-$15k Closer is $7k-$8k.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Can we please slow down for just one minute???

A few points:
  • Timeshares are great for some people.
    • They force (encourage) you to take vacations, make plans and spend time with family friends every year (or eoy etc...). That or loose your value/investment (sic).
    • They (usually) have much more room, more amenities (washer/dryer, kitchen etc...) and a very 'known' quality.
    • They usually have the opportunity to 'exchange' via an internet exchange service (Interval, RCI etc...) and may have multiple properties in an internal exchange (points ownership vs floating points or weeks...)
    • They may offer a very good value--depending on the way you use your ownership (season, size, number of days etc...)
  • Timeshares are not great for some people.
    • They are a luxury
    • They shouldn't be financed
    • They demand attention and use. Don't buy if you can't take time to use....and can't take time to plan
    • Think of them like a baby: they require 'care and feeding' and you can't just 'give it away' when you tire off it. They are a long(er) term ownership item
    • Some have value ($$). Some do not. Some are easy to sell/give-away. Many are NOT.
Now....my advice.

Run the 'what to buy' survey posted in the link above (nice job @K2Quick) It will help you get advice on what might be best for you
Don't rush. This is easy to get into (trouble) and hard to get out of (if you make a bad/rushed decision).

As to the comments above:

I own two Worldmark contracts. I love them.

• Affordable--one of the best 'value' ownerships I know of: low purchase price, affordable MF's, easy to resale, amazing bargains for the bargain-hunter on exchanges.
  • Quick to buy/sell: Always contracts available to buy. Knowing WHICH contract to buy is the key. Easy to sell. Knowing how to price them and when is the key.
  • Better for exchangers or west-coasters: Limited east-coast options except for exchangers. Do you really want to buy a trader? Or are you looking for something close to home?

A comment was made above concerning resale of Wyndham vs Worldmark: you can find LOTS of free/near free Wyndham contracts. Depends on the contract.
  • There are 5 (five) free offers for Wyndham contracts in the Free Timeshare Giveaways and Bargain Deals section of this forum in the last 3 mos. Dozens more in the last 6 mos.
  • There are NO (zero) free Worldmark contracts. That's because they have value.
  • Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Worldmark is a great ownership, but it might not be right for you.
Wyndham is a great ownership....but not might be right for you.
Marriott legacy weeks....
Westin Kaanapali....
etc....
Run the survey.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Wyndham maintenance fee payments are monthly but I have heard of a few people who pay theirs annually. I'm guessing those people might have converted fixed weeks or fixed weeks. Wyndham doesn't sell fixed weeks but there are still some some people who have fixed weeks and you can pick them up resale. I've seen more fixed weeks for sale at the resorts in Hawaii than anywhere else.

As to reading negative remarks, there are several reasons for them.

Typically those people simply didn't buy enough points to be able to do much with them. To make matters worse many spent the big bucks to buy developer and didn't know about resale. Many of us have been where they are and it isn't a happy moment when you realize that not only did you spend way too much but you still don't have enough points to do all that much. Instead of moving on and finding a solution they choose to be bitter and gripe about it every chance they get. Many people here on TUG found the solution and accept that although they paid through the nose for their first purchase it brought them into the Wyndham system and they learned from there. I liken it to paying for an Ivy league degree in a field where a community college degree gets you the same job and promotions. Live and learn.

You needed to look at where and when you know you would like to go in the next couple of years and see how many points you will need to do that. Many people are extremely picky about their accommodations for their vacations. Only the best of the best will do for them. I see this over and over in the Facebook groups. They only want the newest resorts and ones that offer the most amenities. Many of us here on TUG know how to get the most out of our points. And many of us have some of the older resorts that we particularly like. When a new resort comes into the system it comes in with it's own point chart and it remains the same. If a resort were to add more units of a different type they could do that but the rest of the chart remains unchanged. New resorts are always more points to book than resorts that have been in the system longer or the longest.

I'll use Bonnet Creek, Star Island and Cypress Palms to start with for my examples of how many owners maximize the number of points they own. We like Star Island and have a friend who likes Cypress Palms. We both sometimes stay at Bonnet Creek but try to only stay in the lower point seasons and Sunday-Thursday night stays as Friday and Saturday night stays are more points at all the resorts. When you look at the point charts pay attention to how the weeks for Prime, High and Value aren't the same at all resorts. Say I was planning a trip to Orlando and wanted to go when I could make my points stretch but I also wanted to go when it was cold where I lived. I might look at weeks 9 and 10 which for 2020 are roughly the last week of February and the first week of March. And I want a two bedroom unit. For Bonnet Creek I would need 448,000 points, for Star Island and Cypress Palms only 308,000 points.

Next I start looking at what I could do with that 140,000 points I saved by not staying at Bonnet Creek. I've wanted to stay at the Smoky Mountain resort and I see that week 20, the week ending in Memorial Day weekend, is the last week of high season. Or the high season for Westwinds in Myrtle Beach goes clear through week 22 so I could stay the week of Memorial Day or the week after. We've stayed at Westwinds before and haven't been to Myrtle Beach in a few years so either one will be good. I know the weather will be nice so I'm in and start working on making my decision about which resort we should pick.

For the week at Smoky Mountains I will be short 8,000 points and for any one of the 3 weeks I'm considering at Westwinds I will be short 14,000 points if I want a two bedroom again. In the standard booking window 10-3 months prior to check in I can rent the points I'm short since I only need a portion of the points for the last night's stay. That is the restriction on renting points in the standard booking window. I will pay $12 per thousand for those points so $96-$168 for the additional points depending on which resort I select. If I wait until the express booking window, three months or less, to book that week I can borrow points from my next use year which costs me nothing. I go ahead and book my reservation for whichever resort I've decided upon for my third week of vacation time and rent the points. When it gets down to the 3 month express window I see there is still availability so I cancel the reservation for that week and am refunded what I paid to rent the points. You can cancel a reservation up until 15 full days before the day it starts and get all your points back. Or you can pay $49 for reservations up to 200,000 points, $69 for reservations up to 300,000 points and $99 for reservations over 300,000 points to protect your points and be able to cancel until the day of check in and get all your points back. Points protection can be purchased at any time before the 15 day window to cancel the reservation. Anyhow, I still have a free reservation transaction left so I'm not paying $19 to waste one by cancelling my original reservation and booking another reservation to be able to borrow points from my next use year instead of having to pay to rent them.

Bonnet Creek
R000000000045_viewchart.jpg

Star Island
R000000000039_viewchart.jpg

Cypress Palms
R000000000049_viewchart.jpg

Smoky Mountains
R000000000090_viewchart.jpg

Westwinds
R000000000103_viewchart.jpg

Planning-Calendars-2020-2021.gif

I've seen people say that they want to keep their maintenance fees under $100 a month or not too much over that. Then they get Club Wyndham Access points or points at a resort with high maintenance fees because if they bought resale it was cheap or someone was giving it away. If you only have resale points your program fee is either $0.58 per thousand points or a minimum of $135 a year. So you would need to own a total of 233,000 points to be over the minimum program fee. But they could have learned a little more before they bought and got something with lower maintenance fees. Unless they needed the advantage that owning at a specific resort would give them. You get ARP, Advance Reservation Priority, at your home resort. Meaning you can book it at 13 months and other people can book it at 10 months. Club Wyndham Access points aren't deeded, instead you have a contract with Wyndham that gives you the use of x number of points a year. But that gives you access to inventory and resorts that are in CWA at 13 months. If you don't need the larger units, only studios, one or two bedroom units, and you aren't trying to book a high demand week like the week between Christmas and New Years you can usually find what you're looking for at 10 months or less. For some people it makes the best financial sense to own where maintenance fees are lower. For others who have very specific needs about when and where they will want to go, and maybe having a larger unit too, then it may be worth it to them to pay higher maintenance fees to make sure they get what they want.

Example 1: Say you had 154,000 Club Wyndham Access points. The current maintenance fees on CWA are $5.99 so you would pay $922.46 a year and because you didn't have enough points to be over the minimum program fee that would be $135 which brings the total up to 1057.46 or $88.12 a month. Or you had 224,000 CWA points so with the program fee that would be $1476.76 a year or $123.06 a month.

Example 2: Or instead you could have bought points at Grand Desert. I use this resort a lot in my examples because while it doesn't have the very lowest maintenance fees it does have maintenance fees in lower range and you can usually find good deals on resale points for Grand Desert. Buildings 1 and 2 pay $4.73 and building 3 pays $4.82 plus the program fee. So in buildings 1 or 2, if you owned 308,000 points which is more than enough to get you over the minimum program fee it would cost you $1635.48 or $136.29 a month.

You may be wondering why I used 154, 224k and 308k points in my examples. Wyndham does sell points in other increments but increments of 77k points are the most common. You get one free reservation transaction fee for every 77k points you own. They are $19 each if you don't have any free ones left and that is the price if you book online. It is more if you call in and have a vacation counselor, VC, do it for you.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Oh, sure there are mf’s but those would be the same regardless of whether you buy developer or resale. My intent was to show how cheaply you can purchase a timeshare here on TUG. After this purchase is complete, my mf’s will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $450/month. I anticipate averaging 35-40 nights a year in units that would rent for as much as $250/night or more depending on when and where we travel. Our timeshare is strictly for us to travel. We don’t rent any points so we aren’t looking to make money nor are we concerned about if/when we break even on our investment. We bought it expressly for our enjoyment.