• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kauai Beach Club - OF Parlor vs OV Studio (Redux)

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be on Kauai for a few days by myself and will (hopefully) be staying at KBC. I've looked through the TUG threads on the topic as well as the MVC and Marriott websites and here's what I've come up with.

In order to guarantee a balcony with seating I can do either an OF Parlor or an OV Studio (most OF Studios have a Juliette balcony). Taffy19 put up a gallery with some photos from 2014 that show a desk with a nice chair next to the bed on the studio side of their 1BR but none of the photos on the Marriott website show a desk - instead there is a not so comfortable looking loveseat, a small table, and a chair. In terms of the kitchen I don't really care so long as it has a refrigerator big enough to hold yogurt, fruit, and some beverages.

So it looks like if I can put up with sleeping on a murphy bed I can have an OF room and pay around 20% less points. The loveseat doesn't look any more comfortable than the murphy sofa and the chair looks to be the same one as the two in the parlor room.

So...how painful is the murphy? Better than a sofabed I know...but how far off the Maui or Waiohai beds? Does the parlor refrigerator hold a quart of milk or bottle of seltzer? And lastly, if anyone has stayed at KBC recently in either type of room I'm happy to read your thoughts. TIA.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I'll be on Kauai for a few days by myself and will (hopefully) be staying at KBC. I've looked through the TUG threads on the topic as well as the MVC and Marriott websites and here's what I've come up with.

In order to guarantee a balcony with seating I can do either an OF Parlor or an OV Studio (most OF Studios have a Juliette balcony). Taffy19 put up a gallery with some photos from 2014 that show a desk with a nice chair next to the bed on the studio side of their 1BR but none of the photos on the Marriott website show a desk - instead there is a not so comfortable looking loveseat, a small table, and a chair. In terms of the kitchen I don't really care so long as it has a refrigerator big enough to hold yogurt, fruit, and some beverages.

So it looks like if I can put up with sleeping on a murphy bed I can have an OF room and pay around 20% less points. The loveseat doesn't look any more comfortable than the murphy sofa and the chair looks to be the same one as the two in the parlor room.

So...how painful is the murphy? Better than a sofabed I know...but how far off the Maui or Waiohai beds? Does the parlor refrigerator hold a quart of milk or bottle of seltzer? And lastly, if anyone has stayed at KBC recently in either type of room I'm happy to read your thoughts. TIA.

I have stayed in an OF parlor room at KBC on solo trips several times and it works fine. The bed is comfortable enough -- I weigh 190# -- although the sofa is not. The chair and table will work fine as a desk. The "kitchenette" is actually better than what is on the studio side, although there is no stove (there is a refrigerator, DW, etc.).

What I like most about the unit is the full-on ocean front view from the lanai. Worth it.

Ask for a unit on a high floor in the Kilohana Tower.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
In general we have found that murphy beds are a better bed then the beds found in sofa beds. Maybe due to the folding up the sofa beds have to deal with.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Agree that the parlor room Murphy bed is fine. And that oceanfront view is spectacular. We have stayed in studio, parlor and one bedroom, usually just for one night coming and leaving from Waiohai, and all were OK for that. My husband is now way too spoiled by the full timeshare apartments to want that small a room, but for one night it works fine for us and he survives!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent one night at the end of a vacation in an OF parlour room at KBC and found the Murphy bed to be uncomfortable. I also found the room to be too bright with the microwave light etc. I’d still overlook it if I were wanting to do a lot of my own meals, but my strong preference would be for the studio side otherwise. Sounds like I’m the odd one out who didn’t care for the Murphy bed though!

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After looking into all this further I thought I would summarize what I found for anyone doing future research into staying at KBC in a parlor or studio.

The OF studios that have a 'real' balcony are all in the three story Waialeale wing. While the views from that wing aren't horrible they in no way compare to the Kilohana wing/tower (the picture at bottom is from the bottom floor - 4th floor - of Kilohana). Most of the OF Waialeale studios have one king bed but there are a few with two queen beds. And while OV studios do have real balconies they are located in a 3 story building that overlooks the pool. They also have a sort of weirdly angled window/balcony so the room does not squarely face the view.

What that means (assuming you are willing to spend the points and are looking for a stay in which you would get to enjoy the view from your room) is that the choices are really OF parlor vs OF studio - ideally in the Kilohana tower.

OF parlor - Real balcony, kitchenette with dishware, microwave, sink, dishwasher, etc. Bigger sofa (when bed up), two chairs and table. But murphy bed and no tub. 357 sq ft incl balcony.
OF studio - Real bed, loveseat, chair, and table, and combined tub/shower. But Juliette balcony and no kitchen beyond a tiny refrigerator. 314 sq ft incl Juliette balcony.

4th floor Kilohana.jpg

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
What are the OF 2 BR’s like? Are they a combination of the parlor and studio? Or a combination of a 1BR and a studio?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are corner units with the parlor having a full-on OF Juliette balcony, and the 1BR also has a "true" OF balcony off the kitchen and a wall of windows facing the pool. The 1BR bedroom is on the side, with view towards the back of the property. It's a rather weird layout IMHO (and I own one). We always take the parlor and give the kids the back bedroom.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
They are corner units with the parlor having a full-on OF Juliette balcony, and the 1BR also has a "true" OF balcony off the kitchen and a wall of windows facing the pool. The 1BR bedroom is on the side, with view towards the back of the property. It's a rather weird layout IMHO (and I own one). We always take the parlor and give the kids the back bedroom.
Thanks! We have made an offer on one to match with our Waiohai week. We spent half a day there while staying at Waiohai last November and really liked the resort. We will see how it goes.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! We have made an offer on one to match with our Waiohai week. We spent half a day there while staying at Waiohai last November and really liked the resort. We will see how it goes.

Some Tuggers don't like the resort, but we do. Our family had a fantastic time there last summer, and all the grands want to go back. We usually go for at least a couple of weeks to the Westin Princeville and Marriott's KBC to get the best of both worlds. It would be nice to add Waiohai for some extra time in Poipu! (I like Waiohai better than the new Vistana/Sheraton timeshare down the beach.)

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have been following KBC for years and have read most of the bad (and good) reviews. The lack of a full kitchen is not a concern because we enjoy dinners out. We made our offer based on the resort grounds and location only, haven’t toured the units. But we were blown away by what we saw and experienced for the half day we were there.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some Tuggers don't like the resort, but we do. Our family had a fantastic time there last summer, and all the grands want to go back. We usually go for at least a couple of weeks to the Westin Princeville and Marriott's KBC to get the best of both worlds. It would be nice to add Waiohai for some extra time in Poipu! (I like Waiohai better than the new Vistana/Sheraton timeshare down the beach.)
Well, good news for you but not for us. ROFR paperwork was submitted Friday and Marriott exercised today, so we will not be KBC owners, at least for the foreseeable future. That was a fast response. For all the bad reviews, KBC resale value is holding up very well!!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s too bad, sorry to hear you got ROFR’d. I was expecting the worst the first time I stayed at KBC as there is a lot of negativity regarding the resort on TUG. The lack of kitchen and limited space is real, but we really enjoyed the resort’s hotel like feel.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you didn't get it, Dagger1. I'm sure there will be another, though.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s too bad, sorry to hear you got ROFR’d. I was expecting the worst the first time I stayed at KBC as there is a lot of negativity regarding the resort on TUG. The lack of kitchen and limited space is real, but we really enjoyed the resort’s hotel like feel.

Keep in mind that this was originally built as a Hotel before Marriott took it over and converted it to a Timeshare Resort.

One unique feature is that it has one of the biggest pools anywhere!

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this was originally built as a Hotel before Marriott took it over and converted it to a Timeshare Resort.

Absolutely! Adding to that, one of my favourite things is that the original hotel was built back before every inch of land had to be maximized. I love how spacious the common areas are.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were sorry to get the news too, but a little relieved as well. We currently have 2 x 2BR OV MKO’s, a 3/3 MKO OV, a 2/2 IV Waiohai, a 2/3 MOC OV, and a 2/2 HKB. Probably enough Hawaii properties.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mind sharing the pricing and details of the unit that got ROFR’d?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort

I really like the side with the Murphy bed because I get the balcony and mini kitchen. My husband prefers the lock off bedroom. It's just a matter of choice. I love this property. The grounds are unique and you can't beat the beach!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you mind sharing the pricing and details of the unit that got ROFR’d?
Not at. Our offer of $10.5K plus $625 closing/transfer was accepted. Marriott wanted it worse than us I guess!