• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Bans Sunscreens with Reef-Harming Chemicals

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Key West Bans Sunscreens with Reef-Harming Chemicals
https://www.sportdiver.com/key-west-bans-sunscreens-with-reef-harming-chemicals

By Dave Carriere / News / Sport Diver / sportdiver.com / February 6, 2019

“Key West, Florida, home to one of the largest coral barrier reef systems in the world, voted Tuesday to ban sunscreens containing chemicals linked to coral bleaching.

The legislation, which follows similar recent bans in Hawaii and Palau, prohibits the sale of sunscreen containing oxybenzone and octinoxate within city limits, the Miami Herald reports. The ban goes into effect January 1, 2021.

Research has linked the two chemicals, found in most sunscreens, to coral damage and even death. Runoff from these sunscreens can be absorbed by corals, disrupting reproduction and growth cycles and leading to bleaching.

The 6-1 vote to ban the sale of sunscreens with oxybenzone and octinoxate came after public comment from scientists as well as Key West residents, most of whom were in favor of the ban, according to the Herald.

The Florida Reef, about 6 miles off Key West, attracts divers from all over the world and is home to a diverse population of marine life and coral formations. Although the ban doesn’t begin until 2021, visitors to Key West and other dive sites around the world can already do their part to protect these already delicate ecosystems by choosing reef-safe sunscreens.”

FB8A0600-61AD-454B-B4EF-D81B09186FF3.jpeg

A healthy coral off the Florida Keys.
Photo: Sport Diver / Off Axis Production/shutterstock.com

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Swimmers at the beach in Key West c. 2021
Evolution-Of-The-Bathing-Suit-swimsuit-swimwear-1.jpg

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I think you will see the ban spread throughout the Caribbean. There is a lot of talk about reef friendly sunscreens down here in Belize but I don't know if it law yet. Most, if not all, the snorkel & dive tour operators state customers must wear reef friendly or none! I saw a difference in the reef off Cay Caulker in just 3 years, I cant imagine the devastation over a decade or more.

~Diane

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
For a starters get a long sleeved rash guard for snorkeling. And I suppose a skin if you burn easily. Once you get used to it I think that it's more convenient than sunblock

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The companies who make sunscreen will probably have to stop using the harmful chemicals or nobody will buy their products.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad. Now we just need to ban plastic beverage containers. It will be here before you know it just like nobody was expecting straws to go away.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I'll never understand the attraction to straws. We never use them at home, yet we think we need them when we're out? Makes no sense. Ban straws.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
...straws. We never use them at home, yet we think we need them when we're out?
I don't care about using straws but I get why some do: We wash our own dishes and hands at home. Testing in restaurants shows that the sides/rims of cups and glasses are often contaminated by the unwashed hands of servers who clear away used dishes, utensils, and dirty napkins from tables, then get the next person's drinks... or handles money at counter service, then applies the lid to your drink cup, where you'll sip. Germaphobes are irked by these things.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'll never understand the attraction to straws. We never use them at home, yet we think we need them when we're out? Makes no sense. Ban straws.
Everyone is different. Even using Sensodyne for my teeth, I can't drink anything with ice without having tooth pain - and my drink of choice is unsweetened iced tea. My teeth are just very sensitive to cold, always have been. Ice cream and popsicles are almost impossible for me to eat as well. So yes, I am the goober that uses a straw when I go out. I don't care if it's a paper straw (although the pasta straw that was offered at one restaurant was pretty gross by the end, lol). It may come to the day when I have to carry my own straws, but it's that or room temp iced tea, I suppose. Btw, my teeth/gums are perfectly healthy - I go to the dentist twice a year - they are just very sensitive to cold. No idea why.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
If they put covers on cold drinks like they do on hot drinks, you could pour the drink through the slot and not need a straw. The ice would be kept in the cup.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they put covers on cold drinks like they do on hot drinks, you could pour the drink through the slot and not need a straw. The ice would be kept in the cup.
It's the cold liquid touching my teeth that causes the discomfort. The straw puts it back further. (Btw, lol at me discussing this :D ) For my sake I hope that straws do not get eliminated completely. But I do hate plastic bags and gladly use reusable bags so at least I don't contribute to that kind of pollution. And I don't use sunblock either. Just straws ;)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It's the cold liquid touching my teeth that causes the discomfort. The straw puts it back further. (Btw, lol at me discussing this :D ) For my sake I hope that straws do not get eliminated completely. But I do hate plastic bags and gladly use reusable bags so at least I don't contribute to that kind of pollution. And I don't use sunblock either. Just straws ;)
We tend to use straws when out as well. It's just "neater" as we've had the ice cause the water to go all over the place. I don't care if a restaurant wants to use some kind of environmentally friendly straw.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Get used to it - your straw days are about over. Time to decide how to get cold liquid down your throat without using a straw. Not my problem.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Get used to it - your straw days are about over. Time to decide how to get cold liquid down your throat without using a straw. Not my problem.
Noted. :D I was just offering another point of view. I'm really not worried. They sell reusable plastic ones too. I own about 20.

And it's only drinks *with ice*. Cold drinks without ice are fine.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have reusable straws as well. If I really can't get them at restaurants any longer, I may start bringing them myself. And by the way, I DO know how to get liquid down without using a straw. But thanks for your input.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
On our last trip to the Big Island on Hawaiian Airlines they gave everyone on the flight a sample size tube of a reef-safe sunscreen called Raw Elements. They also offered a regular sized bottle for sale at a very good price.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreens/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen/

I have found the Badger brand for sale at Whole Foods, but I don't like the way it feels on my skin because it has zinc in it.

I notice that Land's End carries a nice variety of rash guards in different styles. That's the first step for me.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Noted. :D I was just offering another point of view. I'm really not worried. They sell reusable plastic ones too. I own about 20.

And it's only drinks *with ice*. Cold drinks without ice are fine.

You reminded me that you can get the reusable plastic straws for the Yeti tumblers. I doubt anyone would leave those as trash.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
On our last trip to the Big Island on Hawaiian Airlines they gave everyone on the flight a sample size tube of a reef-safe sunscreen called Raw Elements. They also offered a regular sized bottle for sale at a very good price.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreens/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen/

I have found the Badger brand for sale at Whole Foods, but I don't like the way it feels on my skin because it has zinc in it.

I notice that Land's End carries a nice variety of rash guards in different styles. That's the first step for me.
We usually make our first stop on Maui at Costco to buy sunscreen. We'll see what they are offering this year.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
But I do hate plastic bags and gladly use reusable bags so at least I don't contribute to that kind of pollution.
I am all for reusable bags most of the time, but I have noticed many people at my local grocery stores that hand their reusable ones over to the baggers and the bags are covered with pet hair. It is so nasty.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Turvis tumblers have lids and reusable straws, they don't keep drinks cold as well as the Yeti, but are lighter to hold.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i think it is better for the environment to wear long sleeve swimming shirts. It may not look great but for sure it minimizes the amount of sunscreen

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have reusable straws as well. If I really can't get them at restaurants any longer, I may start bringing them myself. And by the way, I DO know how to get liquid down without using a straw. But thanks for your input.

Two Friends Patio in Key West has switched over to some sort of biodegradable straw - it feels like a paper, but might be corn starch.