• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Key West Finds

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Another option we've used, if this fits your travel is to fly Silver into Key West via Miami or Fort Lauderdale, (we were on connecting flights.) Rent a car to travel back north through the Keys. The rental car was less money one way north.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
How did you get there, Panina?

And that is a serious question by the way.....every time I have considered Key West as a vacation destination, it was always going to be a fly into Miami and drive the rest of the way but no one ever described that drive as a pleasant experience.

Also, I don't think Wyndham or RCI have any properties down there do they? (I haven't checked that in a bit....headed to do so now...)
What brand of resort are you residing in this week?

We have flown from SFO - MIA and then driven down the Keys twice and have enjoyed it. It only works if you time things well and don't kill yourself by trying to do too much. We landed at 5 pm the other day and just stayed near the airport (long trip from SFO). Attempting to leave MIA area at rush hour would have been crazy. We are ambling down the Keys, spending a couple of nights before Key West, but it would have been an easy drive with a stop for lunch if you got a start after the morning rush hour. We are doing a one way car rental and then flying out of Key West. Happy to answer questions.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
My favorite reasonable priced restaurant is MoonDog Cafe and Bakery. Their bakery is a treat said:

Panina - Best Tip Ever!! I loved this cafe. Off the beaten path a bit, lovely patio in the front, great menu, wonderful food and just altogether fabulous. We are staying too far away or I would probably eat every meal there! Was too full for the key lime pie or any desert but they all looked great. [And BTW, there is a Hop on and Off Trolley stop #5 very close by which is quite handy and the free downtown bus stops there too!]

Here is another link that mentions it and two others I have not been to.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Panina - Best Tip Ever!! I loved this cafe. Off the beaten path a bit, lovely patio in the front, great menu, wonderful food and just altogether fabulous. We are staying too far away or I would probably eat every meal there! Was too full for the key lime pie or any desert but they all looked great. [And BTW, there is a Hop on and Off Trolley stop #5 very close by which is quite handy and the free downtown bus stops there too!]

Here is another link that mentions it and two others I have not been to.
We went there almost every day. Walked from the Banyan. Prices are very reasonable too and having to eat gluten free, I never got sick.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
It can't be terribly hard to make a vegan blueberry muffin.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Have any of you taken the Fort Myers speed boat over while staying at a timeshare in the FortMyers area? Is it possible to go just for the day or is overnight recommend?
We are going to Lehigh Acres in Late October and a side trip to Key West might be fun.
Silentg
We live on Marco island and my husband and son just went a few weeks ago on the Key West Express. They were supposed to leave out of Marco, but that boat was down that weekend so I drove them to Ft Myers Beach. It leaves pretty early in the morning and they had to be there by 6:30am or so to board - no further boarding 30 minutes prior to departure at 8am. (I didn't go because I get seasick. Bill told me that boat was rockin' pretty good that morning, but calmer on the trip back). They went down on Saturday morning and returned on Sunday evening so they could have enough time to enjoy the trip. It took them about five hours to get there. If they had returned the same day, the boat would have left around 6PM and gotten back to Ft Myers Beach around 9:30PM. So you could do a same day trip, but it really wouldn't give you much time to enjoy Key West. When they say the boat leaves at 6PM, it means last person to board is 5:30PM at the latest. On their trip to Key West, they hit a lot of choppy water so they didn't arrive until around 1PM or a bit later. With so many people on board it takes 20-30 minutes for everyone to disembark. So a down and back on the same day could be a very short visit to Key West depending on the sea. Plus the sooner you get on the boat, the better your seat. If you wait until 30 minutes before departure, you get the last seat wherever that may be.

As for best time of the year, Dec through April is high season down here, so it's busy with all the Yankees coming down for the winter. Marco Island population swells from around 15,000 people to 45,000 people. Hurricane season is June 1 to Dec 1 with Aug and Sept usually the busiest time for hurricanes. So May, June, Nov, Dec may be better times to head this way.

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a best time of year to try and snag an II exchange to Key West? Working on 2021-2022 timeframe plans, and wondering if this could (finally) be an option for us. Never been to the Keys, and would like to see it at a good time of year. Any ideas?

Dave

If you want the best times to SNAG an exchange, then to me that's KW's off-peak times: August, Sept, Oct (up to Fantasy Fest). August is hot and humid, and Sep-Oct are still in hurricane season. Not saying it's the ideal time you'd want to go down weather-wise, but is can be if you are looking for just an exchange-fee exchange.

For II exchanges, Hyatt Beach House, then Windward Pointe, seem to have the most availability (I think because they are the furthest away). I put in an exchange for end of last October and got Beach House. But I wanted something in town, and paid for a Banyan rental. But back in Aug 2014 I got a 2br for the Galleon (RCI), and then Aug 2015 a 2br at Hyatt Sunset Harbor (II). So good exchanges are possible, if you can be flexible on your travel dates and resorts.

Good luck!

Jeff

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you want the best times to SNAG an exchange, then to me that's KW's off-peak times: August, Sept, Oct (up to Fantasy Fest). August is hot and humid, and Sep-Oct are still in hurricane season. Not saying it's the ideal time you'd want to go down weather-wise, but is can be if you are looking for just an exchange-fee exchange.

For II exchanges, Hyatt Beach House, then Windward Pointe, seem to have the most availability (I think because they are the furthest away). I put in an exchange for end of last October and got Beach House. But I wanted something in town, and paid for a Banyan rental. But back in Aug 2014 I got a 2br for the Galleon (RCI), and then Aug 2015 a 2br at Hyatt Sunset Harbor (II). So good exchanges are possible, if you can be flexible on your travel dates and resorts.

Good luck!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I'll check those places out. When I mentioned best time of year, I meant when an exchange was likely to become available to pull, not necessarily the start date of the exchange itself. I don't know that I've ever seen an exchange to Key West even become available in RCI, and now that I'm working in II, I'm hoping that will change. I know an ongoing search would be best to "request first" for a good KW exchange, at a good time of year.

With that in mind, which months of the year would you consider best to go there, so I'll know which dates to request? I don't want to travel diagonally across the country all the way from Seattle at a time of year the weather is likely to be poor. (Yes, I know poor weather can happen anytime of year, but you get my point.) High humidity and hurricane season are not really what I want to hassle with. :)

Dave

JeffW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff. I'll check those places out. When I mentioned best time of year, I meant when an exchange was likely to become available to pull, not necessarily the start date of the exchange itself. I don't know that I've ever seen an exchange to Key West even become available in RCI, and now that I'm working in II, I'm hoping that will change. I know an ongoing search would be best to "request first" for a good KW exchange, at a good time of year.

With that in mind, which months of the year would you consider best to go there, so I'll know which dates to request? I don't want to travel diagonally across the country all the way from Seattle at a time of year the weather is likely to be poor. (Yes, I know poor weather can happen anytime of year, but you get my point.) High humidity and hurricane season are not really what I want to hassle with. :)

Dave
I'm one of many who could reply to this. You could certainly look at www.weatherunderground.com to see historical weather.

- I'd think that Jun thru end of Sept will bring traditional South-Florida hot and humid weather.
- I've been there mid-December; it can be cool enough for a jacket and long pants at night.
- Jan-Apr are usually peak rental months (probably related to "snow-bird" season.)

I think for me, if no limitations, I would try for late April - early May:
- plenty of warm weather, hopefully before the Summer humidity comes
- already in DST, so you get the longer days
- before Southern schools are dismissed, so avoid those crowds.

I'd also add that there's a HUGE difference (at least IMHO) between staying in Old Town, and at some of the places at the perimeter of the island. It's not as easy exchange, but I think definitely worth it.

Jeff

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'd also add that there's a HUGE difference (at least IMHO) between staying in Old Town, and at some of the places at the perimeter of the island. It's not as easy exchange, but I think definitely worth it.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Having never been there, and only having minimal experience with Florida weather around Orlando, I'm kind of shooting in the dark for which months are the best ones to visit Key West. I appreciate the info.

When I think of Key West, (a rustic, island atmosphere, colorful cottages, and small-town ambience), I'm probably picturing what you're calling Old Town? And by the perimeter of the island, I assume you're talking about larger, chain type resorts? I haven't done a great amount of research about which places are where - for me, just coming up with a place to go to would be the first step. :)

Dave

skimeup

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
Thanks, Jeff. Having never been there, and only having minimal experience with Florida weather around Orlando, I'm kind of shooting in the dark for which months are the best ones to visit Key West. I appreciate the info.

When I think of Key West, (a rustic, island atmosphere, colorful cottages, and small-town ambience), I'm probably picturing what you're calling Old Town? And by the perimeter of the island, I assume you're talking about larger, chain type resorts? I haven't done a great amount of research about which places are where - for me, just coming up with a place to go to would be the first step. :)

I'm a Hyatt owner and turned my week into points. We exchanged into Hyatt Beach House in mid-January this year and purchased an extra day. It's correct that it is just at the entry to the island. However, it is a lovely spot with a small private beach and each unit has a view of the ocean and the pool, with lots of landscaping. We actually drove - six hours - from The Villages - an hour north of Orlando. But we were able to bring lots of food with us and basically ate all breakfasts and many lunches at the unit and most dinners out. There are buses that service the island but they have multiple stops and take over an hour to get downtown from the entry to Key West. However, we didn't have much trouble parking and occasionally we took Lyfts or Ubers. Among the things we did that haven't been mentioned here was a trip to Dry Tortugas National Park - an hour or two by boat. A wonderful place with superb guides who make the visit truly special. Another spot in walking distance from the Beach House was a wonderful botanical garden where we spent several hours across the bridge in Stock Island. Also, there is just across the street from that a great restaurant just on the ocean where fresh fish come in every day and the food is terrific (called Hurricane Hole). We went to the restaurant at Hyatt Sunset Harbor and it was awful and overpriced.

We also took ourselves on a home and garden tour, visited the Hemingway House, the Butterfly garden, the end of the US, checked into the Maritime Museum and several others and even found a play by the local theater group. Wish I'd seen these pages before as I didn't know about several of the opportunities you mentioned. It was super busy in January - sunbirds I assume - and hard to get the reservation into the Hyatt. I looked for exchanges but nothing came up and I was shocked by the prices of small hotels. We didn't much like Duval Street area at night. Way busy and crowded with cruisers and cheap stores. We were quite content to be at the Beach House. We had a last night celebration dinner at the Marriott (no restaurants at the Hyatt) that was expensive but phenomenal.