• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kings Land room assignment thoughts

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Kings Land is a great property -- we love it here. Jack and I arrived yesterday, he is out of school this week, and we were originally supposed to go to Marriott Ko Olina. About 7 months ago, I confirmed this plan with him, and he told me he'd rather go to Kings Land than Ko Olina (it's amusing/disconcerting when your 12 year-old can articulate the pro's and con's of different properties).

There is much to like about Kings Land, especially now that it is huge and getting more huge, ensuring access for those of us using Club Points.

What is most interesting to me is that I received what (for me) is the best room in the entire property. Last year we stayed in Building 21, top floor (which we had requested) when we used 8,400 points. This year, I decided I preferred certain features of Phase 1, and we requested to be as close to the pool as possible on the ground floor. So we are in Building 6, on the ground floor.

I find it very interesting that a non-owner, booking less than 9 months out, can get the exact room request during Presidents Week.

Why is that?

Perhaps there aren't many owners that are occupying the property for personal use. Perhaps not that many people call in with specific room requests. Perhaps the fact that we have come here multiple times helps us.

But I didn't expect this, and it's great!

I look forward to hearing the unofficial update on the new property and will post anything of interest that I learn. I hope to meet up with Harry and with any other TUGgers on property.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thats a great location Greg, easy access to the adult side of the super pool and away from the ruckus near the sandy kids pool. You are probably right, not many owners there and plenty of inventory to choose from. I’ll be there in April in a 2br phase 2, don’t mind being across the street from the clubhouse for significant less points. I doubt I will ever book my home week there. Interesting that your 12yr old has discerning enough taste to decide KL is better than KO.

Take him snorkeling at my favorite beach there, Kikaua Point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Jack is going to live at the pool! Kings Land is still one of our favorites. You were very lucky to get Building 6!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
If you don't ask you don't get. I rarely ask for much other than a quiet room, and I suspect that others are the same way, so perhaps you didn't have much competition. Enjoy the week!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I think it's just most people don't make requests. That's a nice location and I love the ground floor now. You save points and you have a backyard. We were in building 3 last time which offered access to the small pool and bbq.

How's the wind? We had God's turbofan on the entire stay last time. It really made being around the resort a bummer so we drove to Kona almost every day to get out of it.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
How's the wind? We had God's turbofan on the entire stay last time.

Yes -- Waikablowa -- we had strong wind last year too. Today is overcast and I understand there has been rain and thunderstorms last few days. We will see but so happy to be back!

Best,

Greg

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
We are booked in to a 2 BR in April on the ground floor. After reading someone’s review on TUG I liked the idea of a “backyard” as we have a 4yo and a will be 9 month old it seemed like a great idea. My wife didn’t want building 6 or 7 as on the map is shows smoking areas next to those buildings. It’s always hard to tell exactly where they are from a map which may or may not be precise. Has this been an issue for you? We’ve not been to the big island yet so I have no familiarity with the property. I’ve asked for building 5 or 8 but thinking I should change it to 4 or 5. What do you think?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, have a great time. We have never stayed at KL, but have visited. The pool looks amazing. Glad to hear to hear you got the room assignment you had requested.

Best regards.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hadn’t noticed the smoking section before, but it is definitely there. I see it by the bbq and will see how much it is used.

But it’s between 5&6 so you would want to avoid building 5 then. Will let you know how frequently we see it used.

Your 4 year old will love the property. It may be still worth requesting building 6 because it’s close proximity to pool area - and less distance to lug all the infrastructure that I’m sure you will have. Will let you know on the smoking.

Best,

Greg

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hadn’t noticed the smoking section before, but it is definitely there. I see it by the bbq and will see how much it is used.

But it’s between 5&6 so you would want to avoid building 5 then. Will let you know how frequently we see it used.

Your 4 year old will love the property. It may be still worth requesting building 6 because it’s close proximity to pool area - and less distance to lug all the infrastructure that I’m sure you will have. Will let you know on the smoking.

Best,

Greg
Thanks Greg,

I took a look at the map again and I agree. Being in 6 close to the pool my daughter would love as she’s definitely a water person. Do you still have a nice lawn there for the kids to play on? I’m not nearly as concerned about the smoking as my wife. I guess after 31 years in the army around smokers you get used to it!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Last year we had ground floor units in Buildings 6 and 7. I liked them both. Though think i preferred building 6, as you walk past the towel desk to get to the pools.

I never noticed any smoke issues in building 6.

We are going in a few weeks over spring break. I put in a request for building 5, 6 or 7.

A few trips back we had building 11, which while far from the pool, had some nice views.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have discussed with my wife and I have convinced her that building 6 will be a great place to stay as our daughter will live at the pool. I booked a ground floor 2 BR.

Greg if you don't mind looking, what are the room numbers on the pool end of building 6 on the main floor? I might as well request a specific room and see if we can get it. It can't hurt to try.

As I'm not familiar with the buildings, do the units go from front to back? or is there a hall down with middle with rooms on both sides?

Thanks,

Vic

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have discussed with my wife and I have convinced her that building 6 will be a great place to stay as our daughter will live at the pool. I booked a ground floor 2 BR.

Greg if you don't mind looking, what are the room numbers on the pool end of building 6 on the main floor? I might as well request a specific room and see if we can get it. It can't hurt to try.

As I'm not familiar with the buildings, do the units go from front to back? or is there a hall down with middle with rooms on both sides?

Thanks,

Vic
Vic,

The rooms are numbered 6101-6106, with 6101 being closest to the smoking area. Both 6101, 6102 and 6103 are closest to the smoking area, with 6101 and 6102 being the same distance away (based on how the building sits) and 6103 being a little bit farther away.

6104 and 6105 are both "much" farther away -- it's odd considering how the units lay out, but they are, and 6106 is even further away. For reference, 6105, my unit, is 34 paces (think a long step like when measuring golf yardage) away from the smoking area -- and the wind is currently behind me and would blow any smoke away from all of the Building 6 units (and towards the Building 5 units). I do not know if this is the normal wind pattern.

Still no smokers today, but it would be a drag if you got unit 6102 and when you checked-in, there was a Philip Morris convention in the smoking area. Will keep checking it. Kings Land still rocks.

Best,

Greg

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vic,

The rooms are numbered 6101-6106, with 6101 being closest to the smoking area. Both 6101, 6102 and 6103 are closest to the smoking area, with 6101 and 6102 being the same distance away (based on how the building sits) and 6103 being a little bit farther away.

6104 and 6105 are both "much" farther away -- it's odd considering how the units lay out, but they are, and 6106 is even further away. For reference, 6105, my unit, is 34 paces (think a long step like when measuring golf yardage) away from the smoking area -- and the wind is currently behind me and would blow any smoke away from all of the Building 6 units (and towards the Building 5 units). I do not know if this is the normal wind pattern.

Still no smokers today, but it would be a drag if you got unit 6102 and when you checked-in, there was a Philip Morris convention in the smoking area. Will keep checking it. Kings Land still rocks.

Best,

Greg
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I will try to ask for room 6106 or 6105 then. I hope you and your son have a great week. We are really looking forward to our trip in April.

Cheers,

Vic

biggriz93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, HGVC Kings' Land, DVC Boardwalk Villas
The information in this thread has been extremely helpful as we just purchased a Kings' Land unit last year (resale) after staying there last summer on an RCI trade and will be staying for two weeks this July/August. When do you all typically make your request for buildings or rooms? Do you wait until the day that you are checking in or do you call the resort before the check in date?

Thank you for your help!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg,

Thanks for the info. I will try to ask for room 6106 or 6105 then. I hope you and your son have a great week. We are really looking forward to our trip in April.

Cheers,

Vic
Vic,

Go for 6104 or 6105. 6106 appears to be a 3BR. I think you would be happy with either room. Still no smokers.

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The information in this thread has been extremely helpful as we just purchased a Kings' Land unit last year (resale) after staying there last summer on an RCI trade and will be staying for two weeks this July/August. When do you all typically make your request for buildings or rooms? Do you wait until the day that you are checking in or do you call the resort before the check in date?

Thank you for your help!

I usually call the resort about 30 days or so in advance. You can always ask when you arrive, but chances are the rooms have been assigned by then.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thanks,

Vic

In phase one, the room go front to back. The entrance door faces the parking lot, and the lanai open to back.

In phases two and three there is a central entrance, and hallway down the middle. In phase two the two bedrooms have grass or golf course views. The one bedrooms have resort (parking lot) views. I am not sure how the phase three views breakdown.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What buzglyd said: people don't generally make requests and just take what they're given. Also, to be fair, you didn't get the "only" room that is close to the pool and on the ground floor in Phase 1. I would have been more surprised if you told KL you wanted room #6123 or whatever and they gave it to you.

We go to KL each year and I always request a building number in the phase we're booked in. This year I'll be asking for building 5 or 6. Fingers crossed that I have your luck. And we'll be on the ground floor since we learned long ago it was a total and complete waste of points at KL to pay for the higher two floors. I'd actually pay MORE for the ground floor if that was required as it's so much better to have the lawn access.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
JSparling,

I totally agree - I see little points premium to higher floors and I actually value the ground floor with the “backyard” and walk out to grill.

For those following the cigarette issue, there are 27 cigarette butts today in the ash trays in the smoking area, which I assume is one days production.

I never thought I would be grilling, listening to James Taylor, and counting cigarette butts. Life is good.

Best,

Greg

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
JSparling,

I totally agree - I see little points premium to higher floors and I actually value the ground floor with the “backyard” and walk out to grill.

For those following the cigarette issue, there are 27 cigarette butts today in the ash trays in the smoking area, which I assume is one days production.

I never thought I would be grilling, listening to James Taylor, and counting cigarette butts. Life is good.

Best,

Greg
Greg,

LOL! Thanks for the smoking update! I'm convinced to try for those building six rooms. How were the BBQs? I want to stop at Costco on the way to the resort to pick up some steak and salmon to BBQ. I'm not sure about Costco there but here in Canada they sell awesome Rib eye steaks and salmon. Maybe I'll try some ham steaks and fresh pineapple too. 7 weeks and we are on our way!

Hope you're having a great time,

Vic

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Greg,

LOL! Thanks for the smoking update! I'm convinced to try for those building six rooms. How were the BBQs? I want to stop at Costco on the way to the resort to pick up some steak and salmon to BBQ. I'm not sure about Costco there but here in Canada they sell awesome Rib eye steaks and salmon. Maybe I'll try some ham steaks and fresh pineapple too. 7 weeks and we are on our way!

Hope you're having a great time,

Vic

The BBQ should be pretty nice, they were in the process of replacing and upgrading all them last May when i was there. Originally KL has Weber portable grills similar to the one i have at home. They were replacing those with BBQ island and built in grills. Looked like they would be nice when done.

We stayed on high floors the first few trips to Kings Land. One time we had a nice view of a small pond and golf course, then the next year we mostly looked into the trees. Then we started stay on the ground level and i much prefer that. Walking straight out onto the grass makes the lanai and whole unit feel much larger. Not to mention its a much shorter walk to the BBQ if you plan to grill.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is my thinking. My wife originally wanted a higher floor unit for security with the kids. After reading a few reviews about having the grass behind and access to the bbqs I convinced her to take a ground floor unit. I’m really looking forward to this trip.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the more enjoyable activities for us this year was meeting up again with Greg and sharing TUG experiences and a drink. We love Phase 2 buildings 21 and 22. Greg and I are attempting to figure out numerous inconsistencies regarding Hilton Beach Towers conversions. Will post about this later.
Note to TUG Member Bob that we are sorry you could not make it here this year. Hopefully in the future.

Harry

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the more enjoyable activities for us this year was meeting up again with Greg and sharing TUG experiences and a drink. We love Phase 2 buildings 21 and 22. Greg and I are attempting to figure out numerous inconsistencies regarding Hilton Beach Towers conversions. Will post about this later.
Note to TUG Member Bob that we are sorry you could not make it here this year. Hopefully in the future.

Harry
That is one of the things I like about Tug, the sense of community. I’m looking forward to meeting up with fellow TUGgers some day.