• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko’olina deed

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina, Waiohai, Grand Chateau, Worldmark, WKORV
We are in the process of trying to buy a 2 bdrm OF penthouse from an owner. They sent us the deed but it doesn’t give us a unit number or week.

It also says “Two ownership interests in the Program with either Floating Time rights for platinum use periods (may apply to all ownership interests), or Fixed Time Rights for the Platinum Plus Holiday Use period and/or Platinum Plus New Years Use Period... as applicable consisting of the following”

“a unit of the Penthouse Makai unit type on Every year basis”,

“undivided 1/39000 interest for each ownership interest “.

I feel really stupid but what exactly are we getting if we buy this? I thought they all had at least unit numbers?

Thanks!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
We are in the process of trying to buy a 2 bdrm OF penthouse from an owner. They sent us the deed but it doesn’t give us a unit number or week.

It also says “Two ownership interests in the Program with either Floating Time rights for platinum use periods (may apply to all ownership interests), or Fixed Time Rights for the Platinum Plus Holiday Use period and/or Platinum Plus New Years Use Period... as applicable consisting of the following”

“a unit of the Penthouse Makai unit type on Every year basis”,

“undivided 1/39000 interest for each ownership interest “.

I feel really stupid but what exactly are we getting if we buy this? I thought they all had at least unit numbers?

Thanks!

You cannot buy a Koolina Oceanfront penthouse unit. You can either buy an ocean view(makai) or island view(mauka) penthouse and non penthouse unit.

The deed should have the unit number and interval listed. But that is only for deeding purposes. The resort is a floating unit assignment. This means you could be placed in any unit that is declared penthouse ocean view.

By what you have posted the deed allows you to reserve a penthouse ocean view unit from weeks 1-50 every year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you!

I’m not really concerned about the actual unit number, I had just read that they should all show one. We have reviewed the deed multiple times and are not seeing one - which has me concerned if it’s legit. From what I have read the Estoppel should give us details.

Last edited:

maph

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I’m not really concerned about the actual unit number, I had just read that they should all show one. We have reviewed the deed multiple times and are not seeing one - which has me concerned if it’s legit. From what I have read the Estoppel should give us details.

Both of my deeds have the unit number listed on the deed, but also reference the 'recorded document number, Bureau of Conveyances, State of Hawaii' of the previous owner. You can use this document number to look up the previous Title Document which probably has the unit number on it (for a fee I think). For example, I have a line in the description that reads 'PROPERTY CONVEYED TO previous owner BY INSTRUMENT DATED SEPTEMBER --, 2015, RECORDED OCTOBER --, 2015, IN THE BUREAU OF CONVEYANCES, STATE OF HAWAII, AS DOCUMENT NO. A-xxxxxxxx. (VACATION OWNERSHIP INTEREST NO. xxxxB03)

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Are you trying to purchase this without involving some third party company? I really recommend against that. I don't know why the seller would send a copy of the deed to a prospective buyer. You really should be using some third party to close this, since it sounds like this is your first time.

You can look up the deed itself online using the owner's name: https://boc.ehawaii.gov/docsearch/search.html
I just entered my last name and first name and it found all 5 of my deeds; all show unit number and interval period.
At least make sure it matches what he showed you.

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Both of my deeds have the unit number listed on the deed, but also reference the 'recorded document number, Bureau of Conveyances, State of Hawaii' of the previous owner. You can use this document number to look up the previous Title Document which probably has the unit number on it (for a fee I think). For example, I have a line in the description that reads 'PROPERTY CONVEYED TO previous owner BY INSTRUMENT DATED SEPTEMBER --, 2015, RECORDED OCTOBER --, 2015, IN THE BUREAU OF CONVEYANCES, STATE OF HAWAII, AS DOCUMENT NO. A-xxxxxxxx. (VACATION OWNERSHIP INTEREST NO. xxxxB03)
Thank you for the info!

Luvthebeach23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you trying to purchase this without involving some third party company? I really recommend against that. I don't know why the seller would send a copy of the deed to a prospective buyer. You really should be using some third party to close this, since it sounds like this is your first time.

You can look up the deed itself online using the owner's name: https://boc.ehawaii.gov/docsearch/search.html
I just entered my last name and first name and it found all 5 of my deeds; all show unit number and interval period.
At least make sure it matches what he showed you.

We are using a third party - I asked for the deed after we made a verbal offer and the seller accepted, and before we received the contract paperwork to sign. It turns out the unit was on there, I just didn't realize that's what the number was! We own a points based timeshare already, but this is (obviously) my first time buying a deeded timeshare.

Thank you so much for the information! I am going in to check right now to verify.