• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ko Olina Development - Oceanwide Hawaii

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I've been wandering around Ko Olina I remembered reading about a Chinese company buying up a lot of land in 2016. But I just found this article from Sept 2017 with a useful map of the acreage Oceanwide Hawaii purchased.

https://www.hawaiibusiness.com/big-plans/

Attachments

• Oceanwide West Oahu Property Map.jpg
    Oceanwide West Oahu Property Map.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 200

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Here and Here are a couple of fairly fairly recent updates on Atlantis Ko Olina. Ground breaking expected to start in 2019.
And here is a video of the area recently

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks for sharing the information and video. It appears they are planning to keep the chapel, which would be outstanding. We enjoy the look of it.

We will be at Marriott Ko Olina next month, so look forward to the walk along the lagoons and visiting the other resorts.

Best regards.

Mike

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this article and video.
How much does China hold in real estate in the USA?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
A new update is found here.
It seems that the wedding chapel next to Aulani, once thought to remain standing, has now been boarded up.
It sounds like groundbreaking is imminent, but we've heard that before.

Also interesting is that this article still refers to the parcel between the Beach Villas and Marriot Ko Olina as being the future home of a Ritz Carlton property, whereas everything else I read says it will be two high end resorts built by China Oceanwide Holdings.

Kapolei

Reaction score
A new update is found here.
It seems that the wedding chapel next to Aulani, once thought to remain standing, has now been boarded up.
It sounds like groundbreaking is imminent, but we've heard that before.

Also interesting is that this article still refers to the parcel between the Beach Villas and Marriot Ko Olina as being the future home of a Ritz Carlton property, whereas everything else I read says it will be two high end resorts built by China Oceanwide Holdings.

They are out working on the sewer line which has temporary above ground sections inside the resort. There is also a long above ground section outside the resort.

None of the infrastructure looks anywhere near completed. I would guess that it is still months away.

There also is a lot of infrastructure work by Kapolei Commons. They bought the whole property from Ko Olina to Kapolei Commons.

Last edited:

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I found this really interesting update on Atlantis Ko Olina.
The copious amount of concept art is vastly different than what we have previously seen. In my opinion, the hotel does not have a Hawaiian look or feel.

One thing I find particularly interesting is that the waterpark's main entrance is facing the street, and not the hotel. This implies it will not be exclusive to guests, which is in line with other Atlantis properties. But this property is unusual, as the waterpark is the main focal point.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Well, that seems like a good reason NOT to visit KoOlina....

Might as well put in a high-rise tower.
Can you imagine the glare off that monstrosity?

Would look fine as a museum in a large city, but ooophf. That's not very Island friendly in my view...

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't been following the Hawaii board at all. I knew there was a lot happening around KoOlina over the past several years but didn't realize they were putting in an Atlantis. The peacefulness of the KoOlina area was already diminished with all the other build up there but Atlantis? It will be a nightmare out there. The days of that peaceful "away from it all" feeling is long gone.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The copious amount of concept art is vastly different than what we have previously seen. In my opinion, the hotel does not have a Hawaiian look or feel.

One thing I find particularly interesting is that the waterpark's main entrance is facing the street, and not the hotel. This implies it will not be exclusive to guests, which is in line with other Atlantis properties. But this property is unusual, as the waterpark is the main focal point.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Thanks for sharing this article and video.
How much does China hold in real estate in the USA?

I have not seen cumulative ownership percentages listed for China or any foreign country, mostly just investments by year.

Not surprisingly Chinese businesses and wealthy citizens were buying lots of foreign assets when their economy was soaring. But recently the investment in the US has slowed, and in fact the articles i found showed last year a negative, that is Chinese nationals sold more US real estate than they purchased.

In addition to the state of the economy, i beleive there was a change in Chinese regulation that requires the lChinese insurance companies to hold more of their assets back home than internationally. HNA insurance had to sell their ownership stakes in Hilton Hotels, and HGV. Another company, Anbang that had attempted buy Starwood out from under Marriott, has been selling lots of its luxury hotels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Animal Kingdom
We have been to Aulani once in 2014 and loved it.:) Personally, I am excited to hear about Atlantis coming. We have only been to Atlantis Nassau once but really had a great time.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, that seems like a good reason NOT to visit KoOlina....

Might as well put in a high-rise tower.
Can you imagine the glare off that monstrosity?

Would look fine as a museum in a large city, but ooophf. That's not very Island friendly in my view...
We are in agreement, Ko'Olina is a beautiful serene location and it would be a shame to ruin it.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Personally, I think something along the lines of Nassau Atlantis would look better for Ko Olina than the concept art, but still not fitting to Hawaii.
I like the concept art - but not for this location. Will be interesting to see what the final product looks like.

Since the Atlantis waterpark will be accessible for a fee for non-guests, Atlantis may be the nail in the coffin for the nearby Wet & Wild waterpark...

EDIT: I didn't really notice it until now, but the concept art has a giant parking structure in the open field across the street (across Ali'inui Dr.) That frees up a lot of room for a massive resort. Notice that they show this swirly bridge walkway across the street. They refer to it as the "Link". Does this mean they also own that land across the street? Or are the architects saying "Parking? Hell I don't know. Put it across the street?"

So if you are a guest, you park across the street, walk across a bridge and then walk a giant 360 loop, walk in what looks like a runoff ditch UNDER the water park (called "the Avenues"), and up to the lobby. I do not get this...
Perhaps the parking structure is for water park guests only.

The more I look at the concept art, the more I see a WATERPARK! (with an attached hotel).

And when you look at the 3D orthogonal view from the street side, is it just me, or do you see the stern of two giant cruise ships? I get that they were going for a "curling wave" look, but all I see is a couple of Escher-designed cruise ships. The balconies, however, look to be potentially great.

Finally, look at how far the pools go into the lagoon beaches. I thought all of that was public beach and walkways. The computer art shows the pools built into what is half the lagoon sand on either side of Lagoons 1 & 2.

Last edited:

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points

The look is like some sort of warped view of some of the monster cruise ships like Royal Caribbean's Oasis class.

Hawaiian it is not.