• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Kuhio Highway opening extended

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
One time I looked into using the Kauai bus to get to the airport from Kapaa - DW was headed back to the mainland ahead of me and I thought I might able to have her drop off the rental car and I would do a Kapaa chill my last days.

Nope - suitcases not allowed on Kauai public transit. Maybe it's a plot to force tourists to either rent cars or use taxis.

There is barely room in the rental cars for your suitcases as it is, especially if you have more than 4 people and an extra large rental car!

One time we had 5, and that 5th person’s one suitcase wouldn’t fit, (one size smaller than the largest), so hubby had to turn around at the airport and get a different model of a larger vehicle, since the slope of the rear wouldn’t allow for the suitcase, and some of us already had carry-ons on our laps, and one Mid 20ish girl was like a twig already! (We aren’t large people.)

Another time there was 6 full-size tall older adults, and we already had the largest SUV with a 3rd row.

Luckily two of couples coming from the same airport as us to Atlanta and beyond got a flight change without asking at the last moment in Atlanta and ended arriving on Kaua’i over a hour before the rest of us, (originally all 6 of us would of met up in LAX), so I had already given them the check-in paperwork and they took a cab to Kapa’a, the rest of us 4 met in LAX and fit perfect in the SUV with our luggage when we arrived in Lihue.

Even better, each set of couples left the island on different days, so the luggage situation was perfect getting off Kaua’i, otherwise we would have needed a full-size van or something larger than our comfortable for the 6 of us to drive around the island as long as we didn’t drag all of our luggage with us everywhere! (Stupid idea, but I’m sure there are people like that!)

Glad the Pono Kai Resort has those 2/2 w/Loft units! It was perfect for 3 adult couples. (Our 2 Pono Kai Association units.)

When we had 5, we did a 1/1 w/Loft at the same resort and the mid 30ish son got stuck on the couch and the girls in the loft. (This was our 1 Pacific Fantasy unit...was an original owner from back in the mid-late 1980’s)

Good thing the 3 siblings are extremely close or this would have never worked out and we were in the F building, so it was close to the pool bathroom if really needed.

I don’t recommend the pullout couch unless it’s for young children.

It’s a matter of disturbing that person while sleeping in and having to close up the “bed” everyday.

1st week he was fine with sleeping on the couch without pulling the couch out, then he changed his mind for the second week.

(Like I’ve said, luckily the 3 siblings were close and I personally got an easier to maintain/air dry hairstyle before the trip to make the one bathroom for showers work quicker. Who would of thought the son would be the one taking up all the extended bathroom time!?!)

Looking forward to just hubby and I for 2 weeks in my one Pacific Fantasy 1/1 w/Loft unit coming up in a few weeks. Couldn’t get anyone to enjoy the loft, and I’m never taking the “kids” again to Kaua’i (or any of the islands), since we would get stuck with the money part of traveling and to have the 3 of them with their faces buried in their phones while trying to show them the beautiful sites of the island doesn’t cut it for me!

I’m glad I also have two weeks in 2/2 units (free loft upgrade if available when booking), in the Pono Kai Association.

Gives me more options with guests or renting out, which I do often, especially now that we are saving for a major move back “home”. So this is our last trip timesharing for the next few years or more! (Sad face) Have to pay those MF’s still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
New info on the road from the Beat of Hawaii.

https://beatofhawaii.com/north-shore-kauai-highway/

Thank You for the update!

I really don’t need to go any further than Hanalei. After close to 35 years of visiting the island, all the trips to the end or even the canyon were for the benefit of new guests we were giving the full island experience tour that we could by car, and helicopter and boating was always an open option with the guests. (I highly recommend both though!)

I do miss the boats going out of Hanalei Bay from the river...shows my age! I have no clue what year they stopped those tours, but they were perfect for seeing the Napali Coast and offshore snorkeling Tunnels from a Zodiac!

The drive to Port Allen may seem far, but as I get older, I’m enjoying the larger boats with room to roam and have the option to sit inside for shade. (Not to mention better food and beverage choices!)

This trip is going to be mostly relaxing, especially after just getting back from a friend’s wedding on Key West! I’m too old to try and keep up with that party lifestyle! The newlywed couple had a nightly schedule planned, but were nice enough to pay to charter a sunset sail cruise for the Saturday night before we left.

We always had the option to not partake in something or leave early if tired. (Probably my last trip down there...a lot has changed in the 32 years since I was there last time!)

We had a blast since a good portion of the 45 guests already knew each other, since many work for the same company.

Looking forward to relaxing in my Pacific Fantasy unit at the Pono Kai Resort for two weeks! (Jeff, the loft is still open if you do make it over to Kaua’i! Sorry we are going to miss you this trip!)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Reservations required for entry. 100 space parking lot, reservations required. Shuttle service - $11/person, which includes park entrance fee. Doesn't say what the entrance fee is if you don't use the shuttle.

North Shore highway, shuttle to open

Reactions: Xan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is there no announcement about Ke'e, because it will be closed longer?

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reservations required for entry. 100 space parking lot, reservations required. Shuttle service - $11/person, which includes park entrance fee. Doesn't say what the entrance fee is if you don't use the shuttle.

North Shore highway, shuttle to open

I’ve been to Kaua’i so many times over the decades that I really don’t need to go that far anymore and our upcoming trip to “Pacific Fantasy” at the Pono Kai Resort, we won’t have any guests to tour the island, so the furthest we will be going is to Hanalei town, and I understand you have to walk the several blocks if you want to see the damage in the pier area.

This trip is basically relaxing for two weeks! Can’t wait!